Councils get power to ?spy? on your e-mail and net use

maroonlegions

maroonlegions

'Councils and health authorities are to be given the right to access e-mail and internet records under surveillance powers to be introduced next year, the Home Office said yesterday. Although first proposed to tackle terrorism and serious crime, powers have been extended to cover other criminal activity, public health, threats to public safety and even prevention of self-harm.

The Home Office said that the move would involve internet service providers storing one billion incidents of data each day and storing them for a minimum of 12 months. Under the plans the taxpayer would pay ?46 million :eek:to internet service providers for holding information, even though some already keep similar records for marketing purposes.'

Tick, tick tick ... 'What's on TV tonight, honey?' :rolleyes:

Read more ...

well looks like the very freedoms all those men died for in WW11 ARE SLOWLY BEING ERADICATED, whats next eh, your weekly shopping list, what colour of socks do you wear on Mondays. :confused:

well looks like the very freedoms all those men died for in WW11 ARE SLOWLY BEING ERADICATED, whats next eh, your weekly shopping list, what colour of socks do you wear on Mondays. :confused:

:Stupid_Heads_by_Vir , Dont be a drama queen. Do you think they will be able to do this nilly willy and un regulated?

They will only "be given the right", if they can prove it is absolutely necessary and in proportion to the alleged threat.

:Stupid_Heads_by_Vir , Dont be a drama queen. Do you think they will be able to do this nilly willy and un regulated?

They already have been abusing the powers they have been given, so yes.

Carl Spackler

They will only "be given the right", if they can prove it is absolutely necessary and in proportion to the alleged threat.

It's the thin (some may say thick) end of the wedge.

not being funny, but i ken a man who kens a man whose job it is to spy on folks emails. And he works for one of the biggest ISPs in europe.

yer emails never been safe. shock. neithers yer internet. shock.

Yet more cack about the fabled "terrorist threat" as an excuse to spy on and inconvenience the general public.

The classic is the restriction on liquids at airports. I'd much rather take my chances that a terrorist could construct an effective liquid-based bomb* than be subject to interminable delays at securtity caused by amateur travellers that can't/don't comprehend the rules.

As for the restriction on sharp objects when you can buy a weighty bottle at duty free and carry it on board......don't get me started.

* This is so unlikely as to be virtually impossible.

maroonlegions

its going ahead next year , the home office will get there way no doubt about it, drama queen , wait untill next year.:rolleyes:

maroonlegions
Yet more cack about the fabled "terrorist threat" as an excuse to spy on and inconvenience the general public.

The classic is the restriction on liquids at airports. I'd much rather take my chances that a terrorist could construct an effective liquid-based bomb* than be subject to interminable delays at securtity caused by amateur travellers that can't/don't comprehend the rules.

As for the restriction on sharp objects when you can buy a weighty bottle at duty free and carry it on board......don't get me started.

spot on my man.

Mark_Mywords

They abused their powers with access to CCTV coverage. For example, a family were followed for several weeks to see if they really did live in a school catchment area. Also used to check for dog fouling etc.

I would not trust them with powers to access Email etc. I don't mind the Police having access, but the council? I think not.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7468430.stm

They abused their powers with access to CCTV coverage. For example, a family were followed for several weeks to see if they really did live in a school catchment area. Also used to check for dog fouling etc.

I would not trust them with powers to access Email etc. I don't mind the Police having access, but the council? I think not.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7468430.stm

The rest of the article gives a bit more depth to my explanation on being "necessary and proportionate". Independent surveillance commissioners regularly carry out inspections to ensure no misuse.

If you have a lot of time go through this site.

http://www.surveillancecommissioners.gov.uk/

maroonlegions
The rest of the article gives a bit more depth to my explanation on being "necessary and proportionate".:rolleyes: Independent surveillance commissioners regularly carry out inspections to ensure no misuse. :rolleyes:

If you have a lot of time go through this site.

http://www.surveillancecommissioners.gov.uk/

is the below a "necessary and proportionate".:rolleyes:

CCTV Cameras installed in cinemas

'The cameras, which cost ?30,000 each, have been installed at several Odeon cinemas across the country, allowing the audience in each screen to be monitored by staff in the foyer. They have been installed at nine cinemas in major cities, including Glasgow, Birmingham, Manchester and London, and the company plans to install them in all newly built cinemas. Human rights groups and cinema-goers have expressed their concerns at the introduction of cameras to yet another area of life, with some declaring them an invasion into the audience's privacy.'

Yes, the same 'human rights groups' that refuse to even consider the evidence for a global conspiracy to impose an Orwellian world.

If people don't want Big Brother to watch them the answer is easy. Boycott Odeon cinemas until the cameras are removed and tell them why you will no longer give them your money. Instead, most people will just moan,:rolleyes: ask 'What is the world coming to?', :rolleyes:and trot along as usual. In which case, they can't legitimately complain about Big Brother when it is they who are making it possible.:cool:

whats next CCTV CAMERAS IN OUR BATHROOMS.:eek:

is the below a "necessary and proportionate".:rolleyes:

CCTV Cameras installed in cinemas

'The cameras, which cost ?30,000 each, have been installed at several Odeon cinemas across the country, allowing the audience in each screen to be monitored by staff in the foyer. They have been installed at nine cinemas in major cities, including Glasgow, Birmingham, Manchester and London, and the company plans to install them in all newly built cinemas. Human rights groups and cinema-goers have expressed their concerns at the introduction of cameras to yet another area of life, with some declaring them an invasion into the audience's privacy.'

Yes, the same 'human rights groups' that refuse to even consider the evidence for a global conspiracy to impose an Orwellian world.

If people don't want Big Brother to watch them the answer is easy. Boycott Odeon cinemas until the cameras are removed and tell them why you will no longer give them your money. Instead, most people will just moan,:rolleyes: ask 'What is the world coming to?', :rolleyes:and trot along as usual. In which case, they can't legitimately complain about Big Brother when it is they who are making it possible.:cool:

whats next CCTV CAMERAS IN OUR BATHROOMS.:eek:

You are at it again. The CCTV cameras in the cinema are overt not covert. There will be some signage telling you about the CCTV.

If you are not happy, as you say dont go to the Odeon.

Overt is not regulated, covert is regulated. ;)

maroonlegions
You are at it again. The CCTV cameras in the cinema are overt not covert. There will be some signage telling you about the CCTV.

If you are not happy, as you say dont go to the Odeon.

Overt is not regulated, covert is regulated. ;)

AT IT AGAIN, you mean pointing out the obvious fact that CCTV ,either OVERT OR COVERT still means CCTV CAMERAS watching us and no amount of jargon ,be it overt or covert is gonnae change that and for the sign age ,well that just fills me with comfort :rolleyes:, lets see " customers please not that you are being spied on but do not worry its COVERT".;)

AT IT AGAIN, you mean pointing out the obvious fact that CCTV ,either OVERT OR COVERT still means CCTV CAMERAS watching us and no amount of jargon ,be it overt or covert is gonnae change that and for the sign age ,well that just fills me with comfort :rolleyes:, lets see " customers please not that you are being spied on but do not worry its COVERT".;)

No, you are the one who started a thread about new covert legislation being applied to the council.

Then you change tune and start talking about overt cameras. We all know about CCTV, we have lived with them for 25 years.

But I thought we were talking about e mails and telephone records etc.

maroonlegions

Anti-terror laws used to spy on family over nursery school application

'A family who were wrongly suspected of lying on a school application form have discovered that their local council used anti-terrorism surveillance powers to spy on them. The family, from Poole in Dorset, said they had been tailed for three weeks by council officials trying to establish whether they had given a false address in an attempt to get their three-year-old daughter a place at a heavily oversubscribed local nursery school, which their two older children had attended. The family had in fact done nothing wrong, and the investigation was eventually aborted.'

Anti-terror laws are there to be used against the general population as some of us have been saying from the start.

Read more ...

overt or convert.:rolleyes:, if this is what they can do to a family then i shudder to think what they really intend to mean in the introduction of CCTV in cinemas.:eek:

Anti-terror laws are there to be used against the general population as some of us have been saying from the start.

overt or convert.:rolleyes:, if this is what they can do to a family then i shudder to think what they really intend to mean in the introduction of CCTV in cinemas.:eek:

Drama%20Queen.bmp

'Councils and health authorities are to be given the right to access e-mail and internet records under surveillance powers to be introduced next year, the Home Office said yesterday. Although first proposed to tackle terrorism and serious crime, powers have been extended to cover other criminal activity, public health, threats to public safety and even prevention of self-harm.

The Home Office said that the move would involve internet service providers storing one billion incidents of data each day and storing them for a minimum of 12 months. Under the plans the taxpayer would pay ?46 million :eek:to internet service providers for holding information, even though some already keep similar records for marketing purposes.'

Tick, tick tick ... 'What's on TV tonight, honey?' :rolleyes:

Read more ...

This is not new. Nor is it that shocking.

Those who think that the internet is just a 'dumb pipe' are dumber than the claim itself. Here, in the music industry, we work closely with Big Champagne who monitor P2P piracy by tracking not just the torrent files - but also the works (or copyright) on those torrent files, uploaded and downloaded.

That's been going on for ten years.

What is worrying is it is proposed and comes after several embarrasing security lapses. I would imagine David Davis and the Tories will make maximum political capital on exploiting this intrusion and removing the proposal at the next election.

Does not change much in terms of the privacy of what you do on what is an open network, think about it - why should you be suprised.

A much better debate is the Facebook one - how can people scream about intrusion into their privacy, yet they are willing to give very public details away on a UGC site - I dig those discussions big time.

DeodAto.

Daydream Believer
Why would my local health authority need to view my emails or monitor my internet useage?

repetative srtain injury?:wink:

Walter Payton

The thing that gets me is when they give you metal cutlery in business class. I know people are less likely to pay for a luxury upgrade when they're just going to blow themselves up at the end of the trip (what's the problem with having a dead leg if it's lying 100 metres away from the other one?) but it just makes taking that nail file off somebody seem that little more pointless...

This is not new. Nor is it that shocking.

Those who think that the internet is just a 'dumb pipe' are dumber than the claim itself. Here, in the music industry, we work closely with Big Champagne who monitor P2P piracy by tracking not just the torrent files - but also the works (or copyright) on those torrent files, uploaded and downloaded.

Does not change much in terms of the privacy of what you do on what is an open network, think about it - why should you be suprised.

A much better debate is the Facebook one - how can people scream about intrusion into their privacy, yet they are willing to give very public details away on a UGC site - I dig those discussions big time.

DeodAto.

Spot on. People think that what they send over the internet is not monitored, emails to mates from ANY source are certainly kept on someones server. These people are, whilst not eejits, seriously misinformed. The internet and email is about as private as writing your message in the sky.

The facebook/social networking debate is a good one as well. Ever applied for to do a job for the MoD? Its scary how much info on you THEY bring to your interview. You cant hide anything.

Archived