St James Park

92jambo

Thinking about going down to watch a premiership game this season. Anybody been down to watch Newcastle recently? Anything i should about the ground and what are the best seats?:wacko:

Frankenstein Jambo.

Great atmosphere but you will be lucky to get a ticket. There is a great demand for tickets down there. Toons love their fitty.

Go to the stadium of light, much better and you'll get to see flash gordon as well.

Going down on sat for the Sunderland v Liverpool game, quality atmosphere and when you see premiership footy first hand it really is a different standard.

Gavsy Van Gaverson
Great atmosphere but you will be lucky to get a ticket. There is a great demand for tickets down there. Toons love their fitty.

Not really true. I was down a few years back for the weekend with an ex girfriend and managed to get 2 tickets on the morning of the game for Newcastle v Man Utd.

There are always tickets available, but not many so you have to get there shapish on the day of the game i.e 08:30.

Nucky Thompson
Go to the stadium of light, much better and you'll get to see flash gordon as well.

Going down on sat for the Sunderland v Liverpool game, quality atmosphere and when you see premiership footy first hand it really is a different standard.

I agree. I've been to both the SOL and St James and I like the SOL much better. Easier to get tickets and the Mackems are easier to get on with:) IMO.

Father Tiresias
Thinking about going down to watch a premiership game this season. Anybody been down to watch Newcastle recently? Anything i should about the ground and what are the best seats?:wacko:

I saw Newcastle against Chelsea a couple of seasons ago. The only tickets you can buy are up beside the visiting supporters up high in the corner miles from the park making the players tiny.

Been to both St James's and S.O.L both have great atmospheres when full. Getting tickets isn't too big a problem to be honest - obviously for the big games it will be harder.

St James's is better because you can get the train direct from Edinburgh, have a drink on the way down. Get off in Newcastle stoat about the boozers match day(all seem to have strippers in them - idols is a great choice - which is very surreal at lunch time) Then stoat a little further and your at the stadium - no cabs, busses, taxi required. Back on the train and up the road well before last orders!

Must say last time I was down the standard of football was terrible...not even SPL!

Nucky Thompson
Been to both St James's and S.O.L both have great atmospheres when full. Getting tickets isn't too big a problem to be honest - obviously for the big games it will be harder.

St James's is better because you can get the train direct from Edinburgh, have a drink on the way down. Get off in Newcastle stoat about the boozers match day(all seem to have strippers in them - idols is a great choice - which is very surreal at lunch time) Then stoat a little further and your at the stadium - no cabs, busses, taxi required. Back on the train and up the road well before last orders!

Must say last time I was down the standard of football was terrible...not even SPL!

It's only 30 minutes on the metro to Sunderland. Sunderlands Idols is much better than Newcastles;)

It's only 30 minutes on the metro to Sunderland. Sunderlands Idols is much better than Newcastles;)

30 mins is generous, usually a bit quicker. Metro takes you right to the stadium and if you book tickets in advance then the metro is included in train fare from edinburgh.

Mackems are a much friendlier bunch as well. Boozers in newcastle are usually full of erseholes. Not saying sunderland doesn't have its share but I always find its a friendlier atmosphere.

Seems to be a few Hearts/Mackems?

I used to get tickets from the 'Alec Hall' branch that ran a minibus from Mid Calder via Edinburgh to the Sunderland games. The guy that ran it has since moved back to Sunderland. Great laugh. We got cheap tickets through his contact 'samson the cat'! We never went into the town centre as such - we would go to the Wheatsheaf boozer before the games and stop off in Wooler there and back for a pint stop.

Bobby_swing_the_bar

Went down for Newcastle v AZ Alkmaar a few years ago. Only 30,000 in the ground and the atmosphere was incredible. Got a great seat in the East stand (opposite the tunnel). You would be unlikely to get that good a seat for an EPL game, but League Cup and FA Cup you have a chance.

Enjoy yourself mate, i saw them and they were so far ahead of SPL standard it was unreal.

I agree. I've been to both the SOL and St James and I like the SOL much better. Easier to get tickets and the Mackems are easier to get on with:) IMO.

Indeed, you're correct;)

I used to get tickets from the 'Alec Hall' branch that ran a minibus from Mid Calder via Edinburgh to the Sunderland games. The guy that ran it has since moved back to Sunderland. Great laugh. We got cheap tickets through his contact 'samson the cat'! We never went into the town centre as such - we would go to the Wheatsheaf boozer before the games and stop off in Wooler there and back for a pint stop.

Was he the policeman?

I was at Tynecastle on Saturday with a Sunderland Season Ticket holder. He thought Tynie was great and good atmosphere.

Got him in the mood for Mackems V Scouse on Saturday.

He did make comment of the guy doing his pre-match warm up in the lower section of the Wheatfield being a bit "Zany".

Was he the policeman?

He sure was. Had his garage painted red n white stripes and an old turnstyle from Roker in his garden! Maken mental - also a jambo.

Been there for 2 West Ham games, a Wigan game and Liverpool game in recent seasons. Atmosphere is alright, been nothing special as all 4 games have been pish poor to be honest apart from Liverpool who won 4-0 but could've been 10. Still its a good saturday out at the footy and reasonably enjoyable.

Ive been down a few times and always had a great time. Never had a problem getting tickets, just phoned the ticket office and got them over the phone. Check their website, they tell you when tickets for games are available to buy. We always make a weekend of it down there, footy then a night on the toon!

Seems to be, all the lads I go down to Sunderland games with are also Jambos.

Seems to be, all the lads I go down to Sunderland games with are also Jambos.

There was a few Stirling Albion fans we would pick up from Haymarket Station on the way down.

I hope you enjoy it but the fact is that both Newcastle and Sunderland are diddy clubs.

Awesome view for the away end, its a hell of a walk to get to the away end, 44 sets of stairs I think?

Prefer the SOL myself.

Awesome view for the away end, its a hell of a walk to get to the away end, 44 sets of stairs I think?

Prefer the SOL myself.

I sat in the away end at St James's as I support Coventry City - we got thumped 3-1 and went down that season :( The walk sobers you up - thank god for the half time beer and balti pie (I DEMAND THIS AT TYNIE NOW!)

Archived