Good Luck Kaunas

JAYEL

Think they learned a bit from Rangers... how to play antifootball. Well there;s always hope in the home leg and then the UEFA cup.

you cannot be serious with that comment.

Deadly serious.

Not that I'm inclined to take sides on this conflict, as the West and Russia are merely posturing. If the Georgians didn't have an oil pipeline running through their country, the West(US) wouldn't give a crap about them and they wouldn't have had the weapons to attack South Ossetia. Georgia made a stupid move based on a historical resentment against Ossetian autonomy, thus giving the Russians a good excuse to attack "western" Georgia amid ridiculously exaggerated claims of genocide. Saakashvili is an idiot for underestimating Russia's desire to pick a fight.

If US could appear any more hypocritical over the Georgian attacks on Tskhinvali, I would be impressed. Never mind US bombing of Belgrade and other civilian centers in Serbia, never mind its support for a separatist Kosovo that sees ethnic cleansing against the Serbs and drug trafficking into W. Europe. More specifically in Georgia US helped train troops for years, and a few weeks before the Georgian invasion of S. Ossetia US and Georgian troops conducted war games. The very troops that have shelled and bombed civilian centers, marauded through S. Ossetia, and raised Tskhinvali to the ground. Russia absolutely had to respond to something like this right on its border, happening to its citizens, and to Ossetians who have relied on her to keep Georgian nationalists at bay. Unlike USA in Yugoslavia, Russia has not bombed the capital city, but we all remember images of destroyed Serbian hospitals, schools, and passenger trains. This is not the only case. US stand on the Kurdish separatists is similar: when Saddam Hussein killed them, he was condemned. When Turkey does the same ? we do not hear any criticism. It is not the act, it who is acting ? a good can be called bad, attack can be called defense, and thousands of Ossetian victims could simply be ignored in the free western media. Strangely it seems that today Georgia and USA are carrying Stalins heritage by trying to keep S. Ossetia and Abkhazia in Georgia, though neither Stalin nor the Soviet Union exist anymore. Regarding Russia, what it ought to do is to declare and establish a no- flight-zone and no-military-deployment zone in Georgia, like it was done in Iraq, or perhaps discover evidence that Georgia possesses weapons of mass destruction, or is supporting terrorists.

I'm tired of people taking a typically blinkered view on what our media are feeding us. Shades of the SFA

Deadly serious.

Not that I'm inclined to take sides on this conflict, as the West and Russia are merely posturing. If the Georgians didn't have an oil pipeline running through their country, the West(US) wouldn't give a crap about them and they wouldn't have had the weapons to attack South Ossetia. Georgia made a stupid move based on a historical resentment against Ossetian autonomy, thus giving the Russians a good excuse to attack "western" Georgia amid ridiculously exaggerated claims of genocide. Saakashvili is an idiot for underestimating Russia's desire to pick a fight.

If US could appear any more hypocritical over the Georgian attacks on Tskhinvali, I would be impressed. Never mind US bombing of Belgrade and other civilian centers in Serbia, never mind its support for a separatist Kosovo that sees ethnic cleansing against the Serbs and drug trafficking into W. Europe. More specifically in Georgia US helped train troops for years, and a few weeks before the Georgian invasion of S. Ossetia US and Georgian troops conducted war games. The very troops that have shelled and bombed civilian centers, marauded through S. Ossetia, and raised Tskhinvali to the ground. Russia absolutely had to respond to something like this right on its border, happening to its citizens, and to Ossetians who have relied on her to keep Georgian nationalists at bay. Unlike USA in Yugoslavia, Russia has not bombed the capital city, but we all remember images of destroyed Serbian hospitals, schools, and passenger trains. This is not the only case. US stand on the Kurdish separatists is similar: when Saddam Hussein killed them, he was condemned. When Turkey does the same ? we do not hear any criticism. It is not the act, it who is acting ? a good can be called bad, attack can be called defense, and thousands of Ossetian victims could simply be ignored in the free western media. Strangely it seems that today Georgia and USA are carrying Stalins heritage by trying to keep S. Ossetia and Abkhazia in Georgia, though neither Stalin nor the Soviet Union exist anymore. Regarding Russia, what it ought to do is to declare and establish a no- flight-zone and no-military-deployment zone in Georgia, like it was done in Iraq, or perhaps discover evidence that Georgia possesses weapons of mass destruction, or is supporting terrorists.

I'm tired of people taking a typically blinkered view on what our media are feeding us. Shades of the SFA

I cant believe the stick Russia is getting in this situation.

Every medeia report condeming then for protecting their citizens from attack.

The Real Maroonblood

Every medeia report condeming then for protecting their citizens from attack.

Correct.

Every media report condeming then for protecting their citizens from attack.

Granted Georgia have not behaved honourably but neither has Russia who seem to be reverting to type.

http://www.amnesty.org/en/news-and-updates/news/georgia-and-russia-must-protect-civilians-south-ossetia-2008081

chester copperpot
Granted Georgia have not behaved honourably but neither has Russia who seem to be reverting to type.

http://www.amnesty.org/en/news-and-updates/news/georgia-and-russia-must-protect-civilians-south-ossetia-2008081

Aalborg would've troubled Rangers if they'd qualified, so its no surprise that they won tonight. Aalborg to go through, they would've been more tested by Rangers, but I still fancied them going through.

Deadly serious.

Not that I'm inclined to take sides on this conflict, as the West and Russia are merely posturing. If the Georgians didn't have an oil pipeline running through their country, the West(US) wouldn't give a crap about them

You seen the price of oil? We have to care.

Deadly serious.

Good point well made.

I think you'll find it was Georgia who started the whole thing.

Take a read of this

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7549736.stm

It doesn't actually say that all, it basically says both sides were as bad as each other. The South Ossetians were shelling Georgia for months before this started and Russian planes were making mock bombing runs over the Georgian capital.

That doesn't take away from the fact that it was lunatic decision to invade South Ossetia by the Georgian's as they knew it was the excuse the Russian's were looking for to invade Georgia and invoke their master plan of getting the old Soviet Union put back together.

It doesn't actually say that all, it basically says both sides were as bad as each other. The South Ossetians were shelling Georgia for months before this started and Russian planes were making mock bombing runs over the Georgian capital.

That doesn't take away from the fact that it was lunatic decision to invade South Ossetia by the Georgian's as they knew it was the excuse the Russian's were looking for to invade Georgia and invoke their master plan of getting the old Soviet Union put back together.

Well put but Georgia were also fighting back. Georgia then broke the ceasefire which they had just agreed and invaded Tskhinvali. That is why Russia brought their troops in. Agree with you though it was still lunacy by the Georgians'.

Fozzyonthefence
Like I said, a ridiculous decision. A competition without the previous season's champions!? Absurd.

(as a sidenote - and as I'm not fully clued up on abbreviated-speak, if there is such a term - what does IIRC stand for?)

UEFA totally bailed out the cowardly EPL/FA (can't remember which) with the ridiculous decision to allow England an extra team (5 in total) in the CL that season, even though there was no rule in place to allow the holders in automatically.

The decision as to who should have have represented England in the CL was not made by UEFA but by EPL / FA (I believe they could have awarded a place to the FA Cup winners if they wished). Their rules at the time, however, stipulated that the top 4 in the league would represent them in the CL, so Liverpool should not have been in the tournament, simple as that.

The decision makers in England bottled making a decision and passed the buck to UEFA who gave in to public pressure & let Liverpool in to defend their title.

However, a precedent had already been made in Spain when Real Madrid won the CL & finished outside the top 4 in the league. The Spanish FA put Real through & compensated the 4th team financially for not getting to the CL. They did not get an extra team in the CL so the decision to let Liverpool in really sucked!

LithuanianHearts
Deadly serious.

it's extremely funny to hear such Russian propaganda from Scotland. I just see that you know nothing about Russia, its politics, its history, its relations with neighbours, its intimidations, and of course nothing about the situation in Georgia. What you write about Stalin's heritage is TOTAL nonsense. If anything has to do with Stalin's heritage, it's Putin's Russia. What they talk on their TV channels is complete demagogy comparable with Stalin's and Goebbels' propaganda (and there is no TV channels in Russia independent of the Kremlin).

btw don't forget that S. Ossetia is a part of Georgia. You are lucky that you live far away from Russia.

all right, it's all not related to HMC, so I leave it here.

sorry guys, I couldn't help myself, it seems there's something rotten in the West when the Russian propaganda can so easily win minds :(

Commander Harris
it's extremely funny to hear such Russian propaganda from Scotland. I just see that you know nothing about Russia, its politics, its history, its relations with neighbours, its intimidations, and of course nothing about the situation in Georgia. What you write about Stalin's heritage is TOTAL nonsense. If anything has to do with Stalin's heritage, it's Putin's Russia. What they talk on their TV channels is complete demagogy comparable with Stalin's and Goebbels' propaganda (and there is no TV channels in Russia independent of the Kremlin).

btw don't forget that S. Ossetia is a part of Georgia. You are lucky that you live far away from Russia.

sorry guys, I couldn't help myself, it seems there's something rotten in the West when the Russian propaganda can so easily win minds :(

I think perhaps some people are blinded by their hatred of America.

the enemy of your enemy is NOT necessarily your friend.

but like you say, that's going off-topic so maybe best left for a discussion in "the shed".

Wow... Looks like the new and improved KGB propoganda machine is working well to influence the opinions of naive westerners :( anyway like someone said: off topic :)

LithuanianHearts

Mon Kaunas, you need just 3 goals at home :)

wow, Spartak Moskva - Dynamo Kyiv 1-4 :) very good. Ukrainians, stop those ***** ***, you know who.

Commander Harris

wow, Spartak Moskva - Dynamo Kyiv 1-4 :) very good. Ukrainians, stop those ***** ***, you know who.

:biggrin:

indeed, 'mon the Kaunas in the 2nd leg. :)

Deadly serious.

Just because you are rightly suspicious of how some things are portrayed in our media, doesn't make the Russian version accurate. Skepticism at all times, for all sides.

It's as good as done ;)

Thig Ar Latha

By far the best off-topic post on this thread. Some people read a Newspaper for a couple of days, and all of a sudden the World has a new expert on the subject. They know when not to let the facts or written history get in the way of their version of events. :rolleyes:

For people who can spot an obvious lie on a sports page from a mile away, they are easily suckered on the front pages.

The Press in this Country is not as free as some people would like to think. :sad:

The Real Maroonblood

It's a refreshing change.

The USA never use propaganda.

;)

Not behaved honourably ?

An unprovoked attack on another state !!

FFS

Please re-read and digest what it actually says and not what you want it to say.

UEFA totally bailed out the cowardly EPL/FA (can't remember which) with the ridiculous decision to allow England an extra team (5 in total) in the CL that season, even though there was no rule in place to allow the holders in automatically.

The decision as to who should have have represented England in the CL was not made by UEFA but by EPL / FA (I believe they could have awarded a place to the FA Cup winners if they wished). Their rules at the time, however, stipulated that the top 4 in the league would represent them in the CL, so Liverpool should not have been in the tournament, simple as that.

The decision makers in England bottled making a decision and passed the buck to UEFA who gave in to public pressure & let Liverpool in to defend their title.

However, a precedent had already been made in Spain when Real Madrid won the CL & finished outside the top 4 in the league. The Spanish FA put Real through & compensated the 4th team financially for not getting to the CL. They did not get an extra team in the CL so the decision to let Liverpool in really sucked!

Liverpool's claim to be in that season's competition was more valid than Everton's - win the previous campaign's trophy. They had of course been allowed to defend the trophy in season 78/79 & 81/82 when they hadn't qualified via their domestic league. Ditto Forest in 79/80 & 80/81 as we as Aston Villa in 82/83. There were precedents of a European Cup winner being allowed to defend the trophy that they had won despite not making the qualification bar in their domestic league. Liverpool were entitled to participate in the competition in 2005/06 butas the holders, should really have been in the group stage in instead of qualifying round one when Everton - who had finished fourth in their domestic league and with a European record which bares similarities to that of Aberdeen's - were placed in the final qualifying round (which they ballsed up).

Commander Harris
It's a refreshing change.

The USA never use propaganda.

;)

of course they do. you know, it is possible that both Russia and the US are ****s. :)

as I said before, the enemy of your enemy is not necessarily your friend.

Please re-read and digest what it actually says and not what you want it to say.

Matt.

I do not wish to keep this topic going but i have read the post.

And i still believe it was Georgia that began this latest conflict.

Anyway

'Mon the Kaunas in the 2nd leg.

:)

LithuanianHearts
of course they do. you know, it is possible that both Russia and the US are ****s. :)

as I said before, the enemy of your enemy is not necessarily your friend.

what, the US is your enemy!? well, that's getting pathetic, I'm going to take some sedatives, all right then, some grim times might be ahead. I can just say that I think in your lifetime most of you (excluding some completely ideologically blinded) will see some bad conflicts where you will learn this is not correct.

anyway, mon the Hearts!

Commander Harris
what, the US is your enemy!? well, that's getting pathetic, I'm going to take some sedatives, all right then, some grim times might be ahead. I can just say that I think in your lifetime most of you (excluding some completely ideologically blinded) will see some bad conflicts where you will learn this is not correct.

anyway, mon the Hearts!

I think you've read me wrong! I'm not saying the US is my enemy, I'm saying that others have such a distrust of them that this clouds their judgement on all international issues. That is why above we have a poster taking about the Georgia/Russia situation but manages to mention the US 6 times in the post!

There is an old phrase that says "the enemy of my enemy is my friend". I'm just saying to others that this is not the case! Just because the US are backing Georgia does not mean that the Russian are right.

I'm actually coming from the same perspective as you!

and indeed, Mon the Hearts! :)

:cheers:

LithuanianHearts
I think you've read me wrong! I'm not saying the US is my enemy, I'm saying that others have such a distrust of them that this clouds their judgement on all international issues. That is why above we have a poster taking about the Georgia/Russia situation but manages to mention the US 6 times in the post!

There is an old phrase that says "the enemy of my enemy is my friend". I'm just saying to others that this is not the case! Just because the US are backing Georgia does not mean that the Russian are right.

I'm actually coming from the same perspective as you!

and indeed, Mon the Hearts! :)

:cheers:

right, I got it, when I said "your enemy" by "your" I meant Scottish guys around, sorry, I just used a wrong expression (by the way, it looks a lot of people know little not only about Russia but also about America.)

sure :cheers:, 'mon the Hearts on Saturday, the game is on the new Romanov's sports channel here in Lithuania, so I'll be able to watch it, that's nice :)

Call me selfish but i really dont care about the result.More interested in the Hearts results!

Archived