Can Mikey Stewart make us tick all season?

HelloSunshine

HelloSunshine

Obvious MOTM on Saturday, brilliant runs from deep, nice touches, solid passing, worked hard to win back possession and all round made us tick.

But if my memory serves me correctly Stewart has shown very good early season form in the past (for us and Hobos) only to fade into mediocrity within a few months.

The question is - can he keep it up for the whole of this season? Will we still be raving about his contribution to the cuase during the winter months on heavy pitches? or in tough away fixtures?

I really hope so. It's a make or break season for him, and I'd like to see him play like he did on Saturday every week - but there is just something about him makes me think he would be able to keep it up! Not sure if it's his attitude / arrogance, or if this was just frustration from the previous regime which won't apply this season.

Thoughts anyone?

Guest JamboRobbo

Thoughts. Each team he's played for has been "inconsistant" throughout the season, for about the past 5 years. Is it a coincidence. No, IMO.

So either something dramatic has to happen, or he's likely to be inconsistant again.

Ray Winstone

Started the first 5 or 6 games of last season well and looked like he may run the midfield and then all of a sudden just stopped playing well.

Hope the same does not happen this season but I am reserving judgement on Stewart until he manages to keep it up for the majority of a season.

John Findlay

So far in his career to me he is a half season player and that half beinf the first half. After Christmas he has to date contributed very little. I hope Csaba Laszlo can instill the work ethic in him for a whole season.

John

Mmmm, I do wonder about Stewart at times, he seems to go off the rails halfway through a season, almost as if he can't be bothered playing in cold weather. Hope i'm wrong though, we'll have to see what Aguiar's like when he gets back in, then there's Jonsson of course and Palazuelos so there's plenty competition in there, he'll have to play well or he'll be dropped.

Hungry Heart

Stewart played differently on Sarurday to how I have ever seen him before.

Csaba said "he did everything I asked of him" so if he continues to follow Csaba's orders he'll have fantastic games, if not, Csaba will hook him.

The thing that annoys me about Stewart is he thinks he is a great player but delivers mediocre standards alot of the time. Yet He should be a kep player for us and a regular in the Scotland squad, even though Scotland have lots of top midfield players.

He has all the attributes to make a top central midfielder. Maybe Laszlo is the manager to eventually get the best out of him. As with alot of things under Laszlo's new era... time will tell.

sandyseymour
Stewart played differently on Sarurday to how I have ever seen him before.

Csaba said "he did everything I asked of him" so if he continues to follow Csaba's orders he'll have fantastic games, if not, Csaba will hook him.

Agree with last sentence....Csaba subbed Kingston and look at the result,:) so no one should be complacent

Obvious MOTM on Saturday, brilliant runs from deep, nice touches, solid passing, worked hard to win back possession and all round made us tick.

But if my memory serves me correctly Stewart has shown very good early season form in the past (for us and Hobos) only to fade into mediocrity within a few months.

The question is - can he keep it up for the whole of this season? Will we still be raving about his contribution to the cuase during the winter months on heavy pitches? or in tough away fixtures?

I really hope so. It's a make or break season for him, and I'd like to see him play like he did on Saturday every week - but there is just something about him makes me think he would be able to keep it up! Not sure if it's his attitude / arrogance, or if this was just frustration from the previous regime which won't apply this season.

Thoughts anyone?

A great question to ask.

And you know who I think is best placed to answer it?

Sir Alex, that's who.

Personally - if Csabe provides (i) stability and (ii) framework - it migth reinforce the positive in Mikey, and crowd out the negative.

He was simply awesome on Saturday - strong arm'ing the opposite number was a wonderful sight, shades of Keano, maybe - he simply disrupted the opposition, and allowed us to take over.

DeoDato

I read at the weekend that the virus he picked up at the start of last season (8 games or so in) look him months to actually get over and that was the reason that his form dropped off.

Can't remember where I read it about though.

I read at the weekend that the virus he picked up at the start of last season (8 games or so in) look him months to actually get over and that was the reason that his form dropped off.

Can't remember where I read it about though.

He had a similar virus the previous season IIRC.

Guest JamboRobbo
He had a similar virus the previous season IIRC.

and every other season before that. it's called TGGAS.

Otherwise known as the "two good games a season" virus. :P

I hope so, he certainly has the talent to do so, we have seen it on occasions over his time at Hearts. If he can add consistency to his game then a bigger club will be looking for him soon enough. For those saying he cannot do it, I would remind them that Paul Hartley was deemed inconsistent prior to getting into his groove at Tynecastle.

I still maintain Michael Stewarts best game for Hearts was Basle away though. :)

Drylaw Hearts
Make him captain NOW!!!

IIRC there were similar cries in the early stages of last Season.

He went on have a howler for the majority of the remaining games and was no where near worthy of being a Hearts Captain.

A Season of playing consistently well and a clear sign he's changed his attitude is needed before he should be considered being handed the armband.

Carl Spackler

Very interesting interview with Stewart on Hearts World just now.

I always had him down as a torn faced get but I like his attitude in the interview. For me it explains quite a bit too.

Frankenstein Jambo.

I think the captains armband would install consistency to his game. He would feel the responsibility of the whole team on him and that could drive him to perform week-in-week-out ala Hartley.

Very interesting interview with Stewart on Hearts World just now.

I always had him down as a torn faced get but I like his attitude in the interview. For me it explains quite a bit too.

I enjoyed listening to that interview, he speaks very well gives the question some thought and doesn't just trot out the same tired old cliches. Nice to hear him defend the players who regularly receive stick from the crowd too, suggesting they are better players than they have shown.

That said, it is a big season for him and if he stays fit there is no reason why we should not see Saturday's performance almost every week.

and every other season before that. it's called TGGAS.

Otherwise known as the "two good games a season" virus. :P

Lets hope Robbie catches it.

Malcolm Tucker

Mikey Stewart is also incredibly bright compared to 99% of other footballers. He has a good brain and knows how to gee up his team-mates, I really like Mikey. Comes accross brilliantly in most interviews he handles and I think he will be a massive player for us this season.

think he needs a strong manager constantly on his back to get the best out of him. hopefully csaba is the man to do it. at his age, if he still fancies a shot at the big time in the epl this must be the season he has to show consistancy.

I think the captains armband would install consistency to his game. He would feel the responsibility of the whole team on him and that could drive him to perform week-in-week-out ala Hartley.

I agree, that's why I suggested he should be made captain now. Give him more responsibility on the field.

Archived