Visa debit cards abroad

Carl Weathers

Carl Weathers

I'm heading to Malaysia next and was hoping to use my Visa debit card to access my money. I get paid when I'm over there and don't want to carry more than a few hundred pounds in cash.

Has anyone used their cards over there or anywhere abroad? I've been on the visa website and it seems to be okay. I'm just a bit paranoid incase my card gets chewed up!

I've used Visa, Mastercard and Maestro all over the world with no real problems apart from the extra charge of about ?3 on every withdrawal.

Carl Weathers
I've used Visa, Mastercard and Maestro all over the world with no real problems apart from the extra charge of about ?3 on every withdrawal.

That's good news. I'm a bit concerned because it's a debit visa rather than a credit card. Probably doesn't make any difference but thought I'd check.

Benny Factor
I'm heading to Malaysia next and was hoping to use my Visa debit card to access my money. I get paid when I'm over there and don't want to carry more than a few hundred pounds in cash.

Has anyone used their cards over there or anywhere abroad? I've been on the visa website and it seems to be okay. I'm just a bit paranoid incase my card gets chewed up!

What bank are you with, mate?

Benny Factor
Bank of Scotland.

If you either go into the branch or phone telephone banking before you go to notify them that you're going, then you shouldn't have any problems using it.

?1.50 you'll be charged per withdrawal, mate.

Carl Weathers
If you either go into the branch or phone telephone banking before you go to notify them that you're going, then you shouldn't have any problems using it.

Nice one mate - I'll give them a call now!

The exchange rate they use may also add to the cost of using it abroad. Join the Nationwide before you go unless you have money to burn.

Carl Weathers
The exchange rate they use may also add to the cost of using it abroad. Join the Nationwide before you go unless you have money to burn.

I'm looking to take a few hundred out in cash from an atm.

Reckon they'll charge an exchange rate?

I'm looking to take a few hundred out in cash from an atm.

Reckon they'll charge an exchange rate?

Not if you get pounds sterling. :)

Carl when I have had to use my A&L debit card abroad the exchange rate always seemed to marginally less favourable. If you are only taking out a couple of hundred then I wouldn't worry about it.

Carl when I have had to use my A&L debit card abroad the exchange rate always seemed to marginally less favourable. If you are only taking out a couple of hundred then I wouldn't worry about it.

I agree. You are paying for the convenience.

coppercrutch

:eek:

Unless you know something I don't the chances of that information being stored is pretty close to zero...:rolleyes:

Visa debit cards can be used anywhere you use the Visa sign. Whether they are a debit card or a credit card matters not. As far as I know. No harm calling up to ask though.:)

Coppercrutch - the A&L have started asking customers to let them know when they go abroad so that they are aware of the situation and don't put a stop on it. I'm sure that there was someone on here a while ago who had that unfortunate experience i.e. his credit card company put a stop on his card while abroad.

Coppercrutch - the A&L have started asking customers to let them know when they go abroad so that they are aware of the situation and don't put a stop on it. I'm sure that there was someone on here a while ago who had that unfortunate experience i.e. his credit card company put a stop on his card while abroad.

It can happen and you are advised to tell them apparently.

Carl Weathers

Just rang Hbos. My account has now been activated for use over there.

?1.50 per transaction at an atm and an exchange rate of 2.5%

Now I'm just paranoid I'll lose my card.:confused: I'm thinking about taking a couple hundred over in travellers cheques, incase anything goes Pete Tong.

Carl Weathers
Don't worry - be happy!

I am.:) I've just got a long history of losing things.

I need to plan for the worst. :sad:

If you've only got the one card, having an emergency fund in travellers cheques is a good idea. You can always just change them back when you get back.

Spot on advice about letting your bank know - it's not a case of them "activating" it for when you're abroad, it's so that it doesn't throw up a red flag when it starts getting used for unusual activity in a foreign country and subsequently gets blocked for "suspicious transactions".

My favourite tip - note down the phone number for cancelling your card along with card number etc, and other useful info like passport number, and either upload into free webspace, or email to yourself. Then if you get mugged and stripped naked, you can still access your important details if you can get web access in the police station.......

I've got a scan of my passport photo page in secure web space.

coppercrutch

Cheers for that. You learn something every day !! Mr T is clearly a man in the know. ;)

Good to see they are improving things like this. Makes sense really.

On the subject actually I went in to get my ST a few weeks back at Tynie. Paid by debit card and no pin number, not even a signature...:eek:

Just took it off me, swiped it or whatever and all done.

I am sure they are not supposed to do that....

Cheers for that. You learn something every day !! Mr T is clearly a man in the know. ;)

Good to see they are improving things like this. Makes sense really.

On the subject actually I went in to get my ST a few weeks back at Tynie. Paid by debit card and no pin number, not even a signature...:eek:

Just took it off me, swiped it or whatever and all done.

I am sure they are not supposed to do that....

Not if you are present.

If you've only got the one card, having an emergency fund in travellers cheques is a good idea. You can always just change them back when you get back.

Spot on advice about letting your bank know - it's not a case of them "activating" it for when you're abroad, it's so that it doesn't throw up a red flag when it starts getting used for unusual activity in a foreign country and subsequently gets blocked for "suspicious transactions".

My favourite tip - note down the phone number for cancelling your card along with card number etc, and other useful info like passport number, and either upload into free webspace, or email to yourself. Then if you get mugged and stripped naked, you can still access your important details if you can get web access in the police station.......

And I bet you pack extra underwear, just in case, as well.... ;)

Carl Weathers

Thanks - some great advice there.

I think I might just take a couple hundred in Travellers cheques as a back up.

Get an Islamic Sharia debit card. No interest as it is against Islamic law. They were in the paper today.

They still pay for the service though. It's all a bit of a sham. :)

Don't know if you're referring to me, but I did have my card blocked when I tried to withdraw in Saudi Arabia, leaving me cashless for the five days I was there (RBS, Maestro card).

When I called RBS to find out the scoop, they said it was because they'd been given info by the police two months previously (WTF?!) that my card was found on a list that had been cloned.

Aside from that, I've used the same Maestro card from the U.S. to Cambodia without any major problems (it's worked in the majority, but been rejected by a few... including 90% of ATMs in Ghent for some weird reason).

Stewart MacD

Your bank will rio you off either a set fee per transaction, a percentage fee for foreign exchange dealing or a poor exchange rate. Take cash. There are heaps of moneychangers (rather than banks) in KL. However, if you use your cards there are ATMs everywhere for all the usual systems (VIDSA,MC,Cirrus,JTB etc).

I've experienced a few practical difficulties in using debit cards overseas.

RBS card suspended by their fraud squad after I used it a number of times in Germany. Stranded in Germany with no cash , an out of date credit card and a debit card that was cancelled.

Same card suspended last year after I used it once in Greece on holiday.

The missus tried inform her bank that she wanted to use her (Visa Debit ?) card while in Greece this year : this is best done before you go as they were very reluctant to do it after the event.

If I was you , I'd make sure Visa (or whoever) are aware you intend to use the card for any lengthy period in any particular country.

Archived