Kenny Everett and Benny Hill - forgotten comic talents

i8hibsh

I wish these guys were alive.

There humour was just like mine. I utterly adored their material

There slapstick, sexist, non pc comedy was pioneering and years ahead of it's time

Why is their stuff never repeated?

Do you remember Everett's Dallas characters? (I was reminded about them on aprog last night)

Miss Oily

Texas dolby

and the spewing family

utter comic legends the both of them and may they rest in peace

Kenny Everett was a cracking DJ but the TV (no pun intended) transition didn't suit him.Hilarious if you thought a man dressing in fishnets crossing his legs wildly was sidesplitting ;).

Benny Hill on the other hand was a comic genius. Tragic he fell foul of the PC brigade .

Kenny Everett was a cracking DJ but the TV (no pun intended) transition didn't suit him.Hilarious if you thought a man dressing in fishnets crossing his legs wildly was sidesplitting ;).

Benny Hill on the other hand was a comic genius. Tragic he fell foul of the PC brigade .

Just my sense of humour I suppose

Absolutely loved Kenny Everett

Yup agree with BH - feck the PC tw@ts

Not years ahead of their time, just of their time and looking back now, about as funny as cancer.

Same goes for Dick Emery.

Not years ahead of their time, just of their time and looking back now, about as funny as cancer.

Kenny Everett was years ahead of his time as a radio jock - doing what Noel Edmonds & Steve Wright were doing long before the era of the wacky Radio 1 DJ. He tried to recreate his characters for telly and it didn't work imho .

He should also be congratulated for introducing Hot Gossip, the forerunners for every hot dance troupe you've ever seen.

Benny Hill was also miles ahead of his time in re-creating the silent Charlie Chaplin clown role (Chaplin was a fan !) that Mr. Bean exported round the world 35 years later. How many british comedy performers have been as popular overseas as Benny Hill was ? (he's still a legend in the States) only John Cleese/Monty Python spring to mind.

His writing was also pretty clever and often on par with Ronnie Barker.

To put Kenny Everett & Benny Hill on par with Dick Emery is comedy sacriledge :nono:

ArmiyaRomanova

Everett was the first to bring the surreal world of The Goons to a DJ-format music radio show - give him credit for that, but the type of humour was hardly groundbreaking.

Benny Hill was part of a long tradition of ribald British 'seaside postcard' humour, though arguably the first to translate this to television.

So, neither are the originals claimed - as The Doctor rightly states, they were of their time rather than ahead of it.

Everett was the first to bring the surreal world of The Goons to a DJ-format music radio show - give him credit for that, but the type of humour was hardly groundbreaking.

Benny Hill was part of a long tradition of ribald British 'seaside postcard' humour, though arguably the first to translate this to television.

So, neither are the originals claimed - as The Doctor rightly states, they were of their time rather than ahead of it.

Benny Hill was the first comedy star created by television. - not all sketches he created were "of their time", and if they were what period would you place him in; 50's 60's 70's or 80's ? He started out using groundbreaking comedy techniques, common today but totally novel in the 50's - Hill playing 4different characters, subsequently edited & cut together to form one sketch - was groundbreaking stuff undertaken at the same time Ronnie Barker was still rooted in radio, playing The Navy Lark .

I suspect what the doctor means by Benny Hill being "of his time" relates to the saucy, nudge nudge, sexual innuendo humour, firmly set in the 1970's. There's a lot more to Benny Hill than that.

What's exactly funny about a fat guy running around after scantly clad females or making endless sexual innuendos? Didn't really like KE either, but at least he had some wit about him.

Benny Hill was hilarious - aside from his Fred Scuttle character - but Everett was cack.

Easy Honky Tonk...

emery_83.JPG

What's exactly funny about a fat guy running around after scantly clad females or making endless sexual innuendos? Didn't really like KE either, but at least he had some wit about him.

Just down to what people find funny

this kind of humour was right up my alley!!

oooh er missus!

i8hibsh...

am i to assume you were watching channel 5 last night?

i loved kenny everett, thought he was fantastic. benny hill i was less into, but he was good with his slapstick stuff, and probably appreciate him more now than i did then.

Matron's a big woman......BIG!

peach1a.jpg

hahaha

Class!

Irenee Handel - "He was caught. With a net"

Croker & Camp Freddie - "A net?"

IH - "Yes, Annette"

annette.jpg

i8hibsh...

am i to assume you were watching channel 5 last night?

i loved kenny everett, thought he was fantastic. benny hill i was less into, but he was good with his slapstick stuff, and probably appreciate him more now than i did then.

For that bit only. It jogged my memory and put a smile on my face

Archived