Larry Kingston

brellierlegend

brellierlegend

I was going to post this on Saturday but I thought it would be far to negative after such a good win.

However, I thought Larry was terrible on Saturday. He looked so lazy, gave Thomson no help whatsoever and his distribution was shocking. For the guys that saw the pre season games how did he perform in those? Was Saturday a one of or has he been pretty poor throughout the pre season.

He is definately a talent but in my opinion needs to vastly improve upon Saturdays performance. If that was the likes of Miko playing that poorly there would have been merged threads about it!

Ryan Gosling
Thought Larry was excellent v Hull

Man of the match I thought.

Csaba thought he did well on Saturday but lost his discipline so took him off.

markletissier

he was man of the match against hull without question, radio didn't give me a good impression of him on saturday. papers seem to think he was no bad, take that with a pinch of salt mind you.

brellierlegend
he was man of the match against hull without question, radio didn't give me a good impression of him on saturday. papers seem to think he was no bad, take that with a pinch of salt mind you.

Can assure you that vs Well he never kicked a ball. I have always thought his biggest problem is that he lacks consistancy.

I was very disappointed because of how well he performed against Hull.

I think he picked up a slight knock in that game so hopefully Saturday's lacklustre performance was down to that.

I was going to post this on Saturday but I thought it would be far to negative after such a good win.

However, I thought Larry was terrible on Saturday. He looked so lazy, gave Thomson no help whatsoever and his distribution was shocking. For the guys that saw the pre season games how did he perform in those? Was Saturday a one of or has he been pretty poor throughout the pre season.

He is definately a talent but in my opinion needs to vastly improve upon Saturdays performance. If that was the likes of Miko playing that poorly there would have been merged threads about it!

Have to agree.

Larry did very little on Saturday.

If he was Lithuanian we would have the usual crusaders on slating him for having no talent.

Anyway heres hoping he can find the magic touch before next week.

Guest JamboRobbo

If he was Lithuanian we would have the usual crusaders on slating him for having no talent.

And we'd have others suggesting he was MOTM and superb, despite him not looking very clever at either of the 2 goals we conceded. :rofl:

And we'd have others suggesting he was MOTM and superb, despite him not looking very clever at either of the 2 goals we conceded. :rofl:

That didn't take long.

:)

Started the game with an excellent run.

Had his name sung by the fans

Started trying hollywood passes.

Lost discipline for the first Well goal.

Contributed some nice touches and linking.

Gave Thompson very little help.

Hooked.

The Marooney Meister

Thought he was excellent against Hull but pretty poor on Saturday. I think SPL teams know he is our main man though and will try to snuffle him out of games by putting 2 or 3 player on him every time he receives the ball. Could also explain why Stewart had such a good game as he maybe got a bit more space than usual due to this.

Forever Maroon

A more than decent player on his day, however I?ve questioned his commitment from time to time & often describe him as the ?circus act? of the team, bags of tricks but often not in effective areas & appears to be doing it for his own adulation than the greater good of the team. In saying that although he was arguably the weakest player on Saturday ? he never hid & was always looking to get on the ball.

I?m sure under Shabba he?ll raise him game as I have the feeling Shabba will have no qualms dropping him to the bench. Especially if the hated one keeps lashing in winners!!

Not sure how he was looking at the 2nd goal we conceded as he wasnt on the pitch................

Guest JamboRobbo
Not sure how he was looking at the 2nd goal we conceded as he wasnt on the pitch................

it wasn't Larry I was referring to.

Buffalo Bill

He's a great little player but he learned a harsh lesson on Saturday; that being if he's not playing well, he'll be running the bath the other guys.

Buffalo Bill

Let's not overreact.

He was terrific against Hull and was ordinary (but not terrible) against Motherwell.

Agreed - and Csaba did the right thing by taking him off. Given Miko's screamer that might just wake Larry up that he has competition on the right (tho' personally I'd move him in to the middle of the park).

Era Macaroons

A poor game by his normal standards. Distribution was woefull, glad to see Csaba will sub any underperforming player.

His moments of genius will turn a game tho

Agreed that he must give more tho

Jam Tarts 1874

Hooked.

Could add his head flick on for Shammy's goal.

Sometimes he looks uninterested when playing out wide.

Same old Hearts problem actually, played out of position. Kingston should be playing behind two strikers then you'd see the best of him. Personally, I thought there were a couple of things wrong with the team on Saturday. 1 - Why was Zaliukas playing in the centre of defence when it should've been Karipidis? The game passed Karipidis by at times and if you look at the two goals we lost, Zal was partly to blame along with Thomson for the first and Makela for the second. 2 - Kingston should play in midfield where he can be more involved in things. 3 - Mikoliunas should've been on from the start wide right where Kingston was, so if that was the only players available, the team should've read like this. 1-BANKS, 2-THOMSON, 3-WALLACE, 4- BERRA, 5- KARIPIDIS, 6-STEWART, 7- MIKOLIUNAS, 8- KINGSTON, 9- MOLE, 10- KSANAVICIUS, 11- DRIVER.

Although it was a decent performance and a great 3 points to start with, I really feel that if we'd played a better team we may have drawn or lost that game, that's why i'd expect some changes for Saturday's visit to Ibrox. I know they're nothing special but they're still better than Motherwell.

The encouraging thing is that we won with Larry well under par (and indeed not giving 100%) and Driver who whilst looking very dangerous picked the wrong option a number of times.

LK has loads of ability and can become one of the few genuine stars in the SPL but his work rate and defensive qualities in that position are questionable (especially with a nervy young right back behind him). Personally I would play him in the role Ksanavicius occupied and play Miko on the right as I feel he won't have as much defensive responsibility and can get on the ball and make things happen.

Out of the positions we have played Larry in right midfield is his weakest

Far too talented a player to be marginalised on the right side of midfield.

He ripped the old firm apart from central midfield a couple of times last season, or the season before (actually)

Hooked.

That pretty much sums it up for me. He wasn't awful by any means, he just didn't contribute as much as we have seen him do in the past.

Very pleasing to see that Csaba isn't afraid to hook our better players though. I grinned a lot at that...he won't stand for any of Larry's nonsense.

He ripped the old firm apart from central midfield a couple of times last season, or the season before (actually)

It is even more important that the central midfield players put in a shift - as Karipidis and Stewart did on Saturday and Jonsson regularly does.

Kingston has to be 'hidden' either out wide or in the hole. If he is to play out wide the right back needs more protection though ... unless Kingston is forced to lift his workrate.

It is even more important that the central midfield players put in a shift - as Karipidis and Stewart did on Saturday and Jonsson regularly does.

Kingston has to be 'hidden' either out wide or in the hole. If he is to play out wide the right back needs more protection though ... unless Kingston is forced to lift his workrate.

I knew you'd pop your head up here :P.

We often totally agree on all things midfield, and I see what you say about Kingston, but I reckon you get more focus and shift from Larry when he is played centrally he is more involved

Lets put it this way, I'd rather we played a midfielder against a limited Rangers midfield than a central defender. I also think Miko would help out the right back more.

Its not ideal but I guess it depends on whether or not we are trying to win the game or not

Or what about the same midfield as Saturday with Kingston replacing Audrey at the tip of midfield and Miko playing right midfield?

In a squad with a fair few decent players but only a couple of stand outs it's imperative to play Kingston in a pivotal role (behind the striker(s) in my opinion) and not out of position on the right. I believe the same will be true of Obua when he is ready to play and for that reason hope we see him in central midfield not stuck at left back.

My team for Ibrox would be :

Banks

Karipidis

Zaliukas

Berra

Wallace

Miko

Stewart

Obua (if fit, if Jonsson or Palazuelos)

Driver

Kingston

Mole

Subs : McDonald, Jonsson, Palazuelos, Chesney, Nade, Ksanavicius, Thomson,

Or what about the same midfield as Saturday with Kingston replacing Audrey at the tip of midfield and Miko playing right midfield?

Certainly not the worst idea in the world thats for sure....

I dont like Larry out wide, and I think that Miko is definately more suited to that position than he is.

See post 24 mate ! Kingston is much better player than Ksanavicius but is wasted out right. He should be given responsibility as the focal point of our 'offense'.

My team for Ibrox would be :

Banks

Karipidis

Zaliukas

Berra

Wallace

Miko

Stewart

Obua (if fit, if Jonsson or Palazuelos)

Driver

Kingston

Mole

Subs : McDonald, Jonsson, Palazuelos, Chesney, Nade, Ksanavicius, Thomson,

I like that team....

Might have to drop your quote from my sig soon though.....;)

I like that team....

Might have to drop your quote from my sig soon though.....;)

I know but that's great news to be fair. Saturday was the first time I've enjoyed being at Tynie in quite a while and if we can only bring 2 or 3 players in we could have an excellent season. The difference of having a manager in place (and it seems we have struck lucky in that regard) is just incredible and justifies everything people have said against the setup over the last 2 years.

I agree with you. Larry is easily our most talented player and the team should be built around him as our midfield playmaker.

Looked like Motherwell had singled him out (which benefited others around him imo.)... he never had the same time and space as he sometimes has...

Disagree, i don`t think he was terrible, i just thought he had a middle for diddle type of game where alot never came off for him. It happens, players have off days but i agree with Csabas comments about switching off.

That doesn`t apply to Kingston solely though. One thing we discussed in the boozer afterwards is how the current Hearts team switch off late in games when it`s the most important time to be more focused.

I know it`s hard because tiredness comes in, but it`s the same for both teams and i`m glad Csaba is addressing this. The team need to be more mentally strong in the late stages of games.

Can assure you that vs Well he never kicked a ball. I have always thought his biggest problem is that he lacks consistancy.

on his day he is a match winner but he seems to drift in and out, as if he isn't interested, I think that his days could be numbered if he doesn't deliver 100% every game which is quite correct we don't want pre-madaona's at the club. :):)

well you cant assure me that larry was as bad as you say. when they took him off everyone around me was question why. 5 mins before he got subbed he twice never got backinto position thats why he was subbed. at times he played well but to be fair we looked for him and driver a little too much on saturday

everyone has an opinion but cant agree not our best on saturday but done well enough

Commander Harris

at fault for the first goal and offered nothing going forward. Not good enough for HMFC. :rolleyes:

Nucky Thompson

There was no way Larry was awful on Saturday IMO. He wasn't as good as he was against Hull, but he was far from awful:cool:

There was no way Larry was awful on Saturday IMO. He wasn't as good as he was against Hull, but he was far from awful:cool:

I don't think Larry was awful on Saturday in the same way as I don't think Stewart was as great as some people are saying.

The problem for Larry is because we all know what he's capable off we probably have much higher expectations of him than other players.

I also think that it doesn't make sense that we are playing our best player on the right when his best position is in the middle.

Larry was my MOTM against Hull, but seemed a bit of the boil vs Motherwell (though I wouldn't say terrible, I reserve that term for Makela's performance!). Good sub by Csaba IMO (could be lucky one) but Miko's winning goal was a beauty :)

Being MOTM in a friendly is meaningless, just like being the best in training is meaningless. It's only competitive games that count. Kingston has continued where he left off last season and appeared to be th eonly player on Saturday who did not commit for the full period he was on the park. Makela shouwed more commitment, at least he kept trying.

Kingston is a fantastic talent but his attitude appears to leave a bit to be desired.

I'm not so down on Larry - I thought his performance was more telling about what the team needs to do.

We are now in the era of 'the end of hoofball' - thanks to the Kickbacker who coined the term, it says a lot.

Adjusting to the end of hoofball is going to take time, but as we adjust - we move closer to Larry's game.

For example, there were several points in the game where fast midfield passing was required, but stray passes resulted.

From where I say (Section C, back row) I could see Larry was where the pass should of been sent to, not that he was out of position.

Hence whilst I agree with some of the critics, I'd also point out that Larry is the shape of things to come, hoofball is a thing of the past.

Part of the criticsim is explained in part by the confusion. We're getting there - and once its all on the deck, Larry can off load his skills.

Trust me, my brother is Top Cat.

Deodato

Archived