Fax Machine Unplugged?

Maroon Mayhem

Maroon Mayhem

There was a murmurring that Vlad wanted to play Zaliukas in front of Karapidis as he wasn't rated. Interesting that Kara played in midfield and Kingston was pushed wide sacraficing Miko.

Not something that would happen if the fax machine was *****ering away at ten to three?

EDIT: Should really spell check the thread title too eh?

My thoughts at the start of the game was that it was a typical Vlad selection.

Zaliukas back in at centre back. A centre half in midfield. 2 wingers and a lightweight hole player.

But perhaps what we can hope for is that Laszlo can organise and motivate the players as he clearly did on Saturday. They looked fitter and more confident too.

Guest JamboRobbo

For me, the subs at least made sense in the context of what we were watching on the park. That alone was a massive step forward.

Also, the team looked organised and motivated. Another step forward.

There was a murmurring that Vlad wanted to play Zaliukas in front of Karapidis as he wasn't rated. Interesting that Kara played in midfield and Kingston was pushed wide sacraficing Miko.

Not something that would happen if the fax machine was *****ering away at ten to three?

EDIT: Should really spell check the thread title too eh?

That was the only thing I didn't agree with about Saturday's team. Karipidis looked like a little boy lost for 90 mins and should never be played in there when we have a perfectly good DM in Jonsson sitting on the bench.

My thoughts at the start of the game was that it was a typical Vlad selection.

Zaliukas back in at centre back. A centre half in midfield. 2 wingers and a lightweight hole player.

But perhaps what we can hope for is that Laszlo can organise and motivate the players as he clearly did on Saturday. They looked fitter and more confident too.

That tells me that the holding role is the one he is least satisfied with having tried various people there during the close season. Johnsson was available but did not come on and Pala just doesn't have the bite, as well as being a bit slow. We need a hard bas**** there with some presence and maybe that could be our next signing.

As regards the hole, I think Obua is earmarked for that.

That tells me that the holding role is the one he is least satisfied with having tried various people there during the close season. Johnsson was available but did not come on and Pala just doesn't have the bite, as well as being a bit slow. We need a hard bas**** there with some presence and maybe that could be our next signing.

Agree that should be the highest priority signing.

Thought that Jonsson should have come on when we were struggling in midfield in the second half.

Hopefully Obua will offer more quality in the hole.

Geoff Kilpatrick
Agree that should be the highest priority signing.

Thought that Jonsson should have come on when we were struggling in midfield in the second half.

Hopefully Obua will offer more quality in the hole.

I still can't believe Jonsson didn't start and I said so prior to kick-off.

Credit to Karipidis though. He did perform OK by all accounts.

For me, the subs at least made sense in the context of what we were watching on the park. That alone was a massive step forward.

Also, the team looked organised and motivated. Another step forward.

Agreed.

Whisper it, but we may just be back on the road to normality.

Karapidis in the middle certainly raised an eyebrow from me, but he did ok. I just had this feeling though that with him playing there then people would immediately think VR was meddling. I don;t think so though.

I still can't believe Jonsson didn't start and I said so prior to kick-off.

Credit to Karipidis though. He did perform OK by all accounts.

Yes, I thought Jonsson should have started.

Karipidis showed good positional discipline and was sensible on the ball. Would prefer to see him or Jonsson in that holding role than the lightweight and immobile Palazuelos. But would prefer to see a solid, tackling midfielder signed for that position.

Karipidis did well.

He was superb in the air and has a fine touch for a centre half. He's obviously more of a stop gap but i think he more than earned his place in the team v the Huns.

edit - actually, if Ruben is fit - he should start with Stewart.

heartsfc_fan

I agree. I think Palazuelos will start in against Rangers. Gary Glen might also be fit to play, so bring him on instead of Makela ;)

Drylaw Hearts

Karapidis did ok but no better than that and all honesty you aren't going to get anymore than 'ok' from a CH playing CM.

I'm not a fan of Ruben tbh and I think we would be better signing a hard tackling, holding midfielder with Jonsson as back-up.

I wonder if Obua could play that position ?

Ryan Gosling
Karapidis did ok but no better than that and all honesty you aren't going to get anymore than 'ok' from a CH playing CM.

I'm not a fan of Ruben tbh and I think we would be better signing a hard tackling, holding midfielder with Jonsson as back-up.

I wonder if Obua could play that position ?

According to Csaba he's a very attacking player. You can attack from left back, left wing and up front but not in the holding role.

We'd probably be stifling his natural instincts there.

Guest JamboRobbo
Agreed.

Whisper it, but we may just be back on the road to normality.

Karapidis in the middle certainly raised an eyebrow from me, but he did ok. I just had this feeling though that with him playing there then people would immediately think VR was meddling. I don;t think so though.

I think time will tell. If Karapidis is out the door next week, and we find out scouts were there to watch him on Saturday, then it'll pose the question, was he picked cause he was Csabas best pick for the position, or to showcase him. Right now, it's hard to tell. He did play 30 minutes there the week before, so it's possible it was just Csaba's call to go for experience of karapidis ahead of enthusiasm of Eggert.

Drylaw Hearts
According to Csaba he's a very attacking player. You can attack from left back, left wing and up front but not in the holding role.

We'd probably be stifling his natural instincts there.

Pity as Obua looks a big lad.

We need a player with a bit of a physical presence in the middle of park to take games by the scruff of the neck.

I think time will tell. If Karapidis is out the door next week, and we find out scouts were there to watch him on Saturday, then it'll pose the question, was he picked cause he was Csabas best pick for the position, or to showcase him. Right now, it's hard to tell. He did play 30 minutes there the week before, so it's possible it was just Csaba's call to go for experience of karapidis ahead of enthusiasm of Eggert.

If he was in the shop window, why did they not play him in his natural position and move Zali in to the middle of the park?

What would be the point?

Guest JamboRobbo
If he was in the shop window, why did they not play him in his natural position and move Zali in to the middle of the park?

What would be the point?

Are you expecting me to be able to explain how Vlads head works? :P

I hope (and think), it was Csaba's call. Which would suggest Karapidis is Csabas first choice for that position, and might mean Kara isn't about to leave as previously seemed to be the case. The next few weeks should tell us IMO.....

I hope (and think), it was Csaba's call. Which would suggest Karapidis is Csabas first choice for that position, and might mean Kara isn't about to leave as previously seemed to be the case. The next few weeks should tell us IMO.....

I think it was Csaba's call as well.

I dont think Csaba thinks its ideal that Kara played in the middle, but needs must.

(I dont rate Jonnson btw)

Drylaw Hearts
Are you expecting me to be able to explain how Vlads head works? :P

I hoped the days of playing a CH in CM were behind us.

Ryan Gosling

It's possible we'll see Karipidis at right back next week.

We'll need a strong right back who's good in the air as Rangers are likely to hoof it long to McCulloch or Lafferty.

Drylaw Hearts

We'll need a strong right back who's good in the air as Rangers are likely to hoof it long to McCulloch or Lafferty.

I'd love us to sign a decent RB.

Guest JamboRobbo
I think it was Csaba's call as well.

I dont think Csaba thinks its ideal that Kara played in the middle, but needs must.

Agreed

(I dont rate Jonnson btw)

We'll agree to differ on that. He has plenty to learn re defensive positioning etc, but that will come with experience I think. For me, he has all the attributes to go all the way in football.

Good touch, decent pace, vision to his passing, two good feet, tackles well with either foot, works like a trojan, and has a desire to get into the game rather than hiding.

For me, he has all the attributes required.

We_are_the_Hearts

Only problem is Karipidis isn't a strong player. Thought he got pushed about a few times last season. The RB position remains a problem.

We'll agree to differ on that. He has plenty to learn re defensive positioning etc, but that will come with experience I think. For me, he has all the attributes to go all the way in football.

Good touch, decent pace, vision to his passing, two good feet, tackles well with either foot, works like a trojan, and has a desire to get into the game rather than hiding.

For me, he has all the attributes required.

Hopefully Im way of the mark (would not be the first and last)

Just see someone running around the park like a trojan but doing very little with the ball in possesion.

Whatever way you look at it, its just weird. You have a perfectly good centre mid in Jonsson and play a defender there.

Is it just coincidence that the Axis of Pish's trademark is being used while they are still part of the coaching setup? Unless Jonsson was injured I can't really make sense of this. I'd be surprised if Laszlo doesn't rate him, the boy is class.

I think the selection was more to do with Karapidis being "shop windowed" in all honesty. Didn't want to muck about the centre back pairing/was told not to drop Zali (delete as you see fit) and maybe gambled on trying to show Karapidis off as a versitile player. Just my opinion though.

I think we might well do, but maybe not due to your thinking but maybe to do more with what I mentioned above. Again, just an opinion.

Yep good call on that.

Given that Zali with Berra is clearly going to be given more than a chance I'd tweak the defence to put Kari in there.

I'd also think about bringing Kingston in one and play Miko on the right in midfield.

I know the risks that that entails. I just think that we can take advantage of Rangers midfield deficiencies with a bit more guile in our own central midfield. I think Stewart and Larry would be a good combo

I would have been tempted to play a rejuvinated Nade up front with Mole but reckon it would be best to leave him for a second half sub appearance at this stage in his season.

Ryan Gosling

If Karipidis is to leave, it'll be to go to Greece.

Somehow I don't think Greek teams need to scout him that much.

To put a more positive slant on the selection, I had said after the Hull game that I was very impressed with how Karipidis played in the holding role when he came on. Is this not a case of someone getting selected because of how they've played and/or trained the previous week - something that almost everyone on this board has been calling for.

While after the history of the past 2 - 3 years will always provide some doubt I think that Csaba has earned the right to enough respect for us to assume that the team on the park is his unless proven otherwise.

Ryan Gosling
Yep good call on that.

Given that Zali with Berra is clearly going to be given more than a chance I'd tweak the defence to put Kari in there.

I'd also think about bringing Kingston in one and play Miko on the right in midfield.

I know the risks that that entails. I just think that we can take advantage of Rangers midfield deficiencies with a bit more guile in our own central midfield. I think Stewart and Larry would be a good combo

I would have been tempted to play a rejuvinated Nade up front with Mole but reckon it would be best to leave him for a second half sub appearance at this stage in his season.

Rangers are a very slow team. We should be playing Obua or Glen instead of Ksanavicius next week and play a counter-attacking formation. Doesn't matter who plays right back or in midfield - it'll be Dailly or Broadfoot or Whittaker at right back and Driver has the beating of all of them.

Weir's back and he'll go straight in I think. I have a feeling Smith will stick with Broadfoot which gives Mole and Glen/Obua a really good chance. Kingston should be able to get the better of Papac.

I thought he played pretty well in there to be honest.

My opinion on his selection differs though. I thought he may well have been in there for his ariel presence as much as anything else. If you look though the rest of the team excluding Berra & Zaliukas then there isn't anyone reaching the 6ft mark. The full backs are fairly short, Kingston, although good in the air, isn't the biggest and the less said about Driver & Ksanvachous's chances of winning headers at corners the better.

When Karipidis signed I seem to recall he was described as a Centre Half/holding midfielder.

Did he not play in the holding role on his debut?

I can't remember who we were playing but remember it was at Murrayfield.

Ryan Gosling
I thought he played pretty well in there to be honest.

My opinion on his selection differs though. I thought he may well have been in there for his ariel presence as much as anything else. If you look though the rest of the team excluding Berra & Zaliukas then there isn't anyone reaching the 6ft mark. The full backs are fairly short, Kingston, although good in the air, isn't the biggest and the less said about Driver & Ksanvachous's chances of winning headers at corners the better.

The scout (in another thread of mine) who watched Well said they tended to play long to Porter if necessary, so he may just have wanted some extra height to deal with him.

Csaba seems to have chosen Berra/Zal as his current centre halves. Probably down to the likelyhood of Karipidis leaving and wanting them to establish a partnership.

Karipidis was probably put in midfield for that little bit of experience to help kick start the season.

Csaba seems to have chosen Berra/Zal as his current centre halves. Probably down to the likelyhood of Karipidis leaving and wanting them to establish a partnership.

Karipidis was probably put in midfield for that little bit of experience to help kick start the season.

Fair point mate wtf is the point in playing him at all if thats the case, get Jonsson there and let him establish himself in the side, no? If that's the reason to play Zal & Berra at CH then it should apply to every position.

Not having a go at you in anyway just you made the point.

Well my take on this is Karapidis is defo a more defence player than Eggy and as Karapidis was more than competent against Hull. Shabba favoured him on this occasion.

I thought Karapidis went about his just in a quiet and efficient manner and got the job done.

Fair point mate wtf is the point in playing him at all if thats the case, get Jonsson there and let him establish himself in the side, no? If that's the reason to play Zal & Berra at CH then it should apply to every position.

Not having a go at you in anyway just you made the point.

I thought about that as I typed it and came to this conclusion.

The centre half partnership is probably one of the most important partnerships in the team and defence is normally what managers get sorted first (unless your name is Roy Keane), so that decision was probably already made.

The choice to put Karipidis instead of Eggert despite the fact that Karipidis is likely to leave was probably down to two things.

Discipline and experience. Karipidis is positionally very disciplined and spend most of the game central and deep (probably by Csaba's instruction). Jonnson roams about the midfield area much in the same way as Michael Stewart does.

put Kari in at right back as Jason was oblivious to events going on around him at times. Johnnson in as the holding DM... the rest of the team as is. Obua is an unknown quantity... but if Nade is fit, then get him on the bench to replace Makela

Archived