David Obua's uncle - Uganda's first gold medallist

CF11JamTart

A programme about John Akii Bua has just started on BBC2.

He won gold at 400m hurles in the 1972 Olympics.

Commander Harris

very interesting program, well worth a watch if it gets repeated and you haven't seen it.

kissthebadge

Loads of chat with Davie's dad Denis too.

Interesting docu.

Him and the Mak can have hurdle races against each other in training assuming the Mak is allowed to train with the 1st team ever again after he sold the equaliser on sat!!

Plum.

Seen 2 mins and I fell asleep..:o

Not available on BBCi player :sad:

I know - that's annoying, as I was going to get it after reading this thread.

I watched a bit of that last night and laughed to myself thinking that'll be Obua's dad! So did they mention David in it at all or have you just made it up and I've swallowed a gullable pill?

jamboinglasgow

I have just watched the program. A very emotional and inspiring documentry. Before I watched it I confess I had never heard of John Akii Bua but now it warms you at what a determination can do in getting someone to the olympic gold. Plus the sadness that came from the reign of Idi Amin, which forced him to flee the country he loved and for five years he was in effective exile.

In terms of David obua, I'm sure living with knowing what risks his dad and uncle had to do to safely escape the reigme and the sacrifice made by them will make him a grounded individual. Plus knowing the punishing training that his uncle went through (that he made for himself) a training schedule which the worlds top atheletes today would shy away from, show how a determined and hard working individual can do wonders and amaze the world.

a great documentry which I am sad has not been put on bbci

jamboinglasgow
I watched a bit of that last night and laughed to myself thinking that'll be Obua's dad! So did they mention David in it at all or have you just made it up and I've swallowed a gullable pill?

no mention of david in it, but his Dad Denis speaks in it alot.

Archived