Sharpe

Guest Freewheelin' Jambo

Guest Freewheelin' Jambo

I watched the last episode of Sharpe that I had not seen tonight on UK Drama.

I have recorded all of them and am keeping them.

I never watched them when they were originally made in the nineties mainly because back in those days TV was not really on my agenda as I concentrated mainly on women, women, drink, rugby and Heart of Midlothian FC.

I thought the whole series was absolutely brilliant. I am also waiding through the books and only have four more till I have read the lot.

I bought "Sharpe's Challenge" on DVD which was made a couple of years ago and that was good. I note they are in production of the latest episode, "Sharpe's Peril".

I have to say though the jewel in the crown is the CD "The Music of Sharpe". The songs, mainly by the great John Tams (who played Daniel Hagman in the series) are absolutely wonderful and fill a gap in our musical knowledge. I did not realise before that "Adieu to fair Spanish Ladies" was a Peninsular War song (even though Robert Shaw changed the lyrics to it in "Jaws"). This album actually sold 120,000 copies.

Glad that I have, relatively late, discovered the wonderful world of Richard Sharpe and of course the great Bernard Cornwell.

Any other Sharpie fans out there?

Captain America

Got dvds few months back, much same as yourself didnt really watch it when was on 1st time, but maybe one of the best shows ever made.

christhejambo

I watched them when they were on in the 90's as a kid and loved them. Seen them more recently on tele and still thought they were brilliant.

jamboinglasgow

I love it, a great program and Sean Bean is amazing so is Harper. Read nearly all the sharpe books and they go as close as they can get to the books, though sadly the tv series could not get close to the size of the battles but would not want them remade so that computer animation could be put in. Same with Hornblower.

The Richard Bolitho novels by Alexander Kent are fantastic books about the Royal Navy in the same period of time. They go from him being a 14 year old midshipman straight through to being an admiral. Well worth looking at if you enjoy historic military novels.

Sharpe is excellent as is hornblower,Bernard Cornwell does write some good historical fiction.Also if you can get hold theres plenty of true stories written by the soldiers themselves from the napoleonic wars,and theres plenty info about admiral cochrane who hornblower was based on,an absolutely amazing naval tactician and a scot,who was stitched up by the establishment for not being a good boy

just bought the book "Napoleon is dead" about him got a couple to read before I get to that one. can't have a thread about this genre without mentioning the late great George Macdonald Fraser who taught me victorian military history through his Flashman series. At school I hated history (rubbish teachers) started reading GMF and then O'brien and Cornwell . fraid the only failing with the Sharpe telly is the cast of 6 not really representing the battles properly conversely I think CGI might actually do that some justice. Read GMF's "hollywood history of the world" good take on this sort of thing

got the sharpe boxset for my xmas. tremendous. AND you get to see liz hurleys chebs. A bit. A tiny wee lovely bit. t'****in mint.

Archived