UCAS Points

Eckauskas

Evening KB'ers, I'm currently faced with a tough decision.

I've been accepted for a course at Southampton Solent to do Football Studies, starting in September. But I'm having cold feet about it and have looked into the possibility of doing the same basic course at Napier instead.

Although it's not focused on football, it has the same end results if I get through it.

But, having read through the entry requirements, I've noticed a possible hurdle.

They ask for 230 UCAS points, which should be BBBC at Higher, with Maths, English and a science. An additional science at Standard grade as well. Now, my problem is this. I have 264 UCAS points, with a Standard Grade in Maths, English and Chemistry. No Highers.

Do you think that would be enough for me to be considered? Or should I just stick with Southampton?

Oh, I'd be applying through Clearing. I didn't originally apply to Napier.

Oh, and as Neave pointed out, I have field experience in the course itself, which is Sport and Exercise Coaching.

I reckon get yourselve down to southampton, nice city and the birds will love your accent. (unless you speak like a ned)

See, I dunno about Southampton for a few reasons.

Too much to leave behind IMO, including Edinburgh in general. If I could get the same course up here, it'd be ideallic.

Not sure you have that many UCAS points, I worked out last night that I had about 168 or somthing, with 3 highers being ACC 2 Int 2's an Int 1 and 3 standard grades at levels 1, 2 and 3.

Unless of course you add up all 8 standard grades, then all the int 2's and all the highers even though I got my standard grade English. Int2 English and Higher English!

If that makes sense?

heartgarfunkel

All the best with whichever course you choose gentlemen. Make the most of student life, that's the main thing - it's birdarama.:)

So were there any reccuring subjects?

Well I went onto Int 2 English and Higher History, if thats what you mean.

Not being funny here but you can actually get into a unversity with just a D at higher level in 1 subject?!?!?

Jesus christ. My wee brothers 14, by the time he finishes school he'll probably just be able to walk up and sit down at whatever uni he fancies without having sat any exams at all.

Anyway back to the point.

If I were you id say feck Edinburgh and go move to another city. itll do you the world of good. Worst case scenario, you dont like it and come home and apply for Napier next year. Youll meet loads of new folk, experience a different lifestyle and you can do whatever you want because nobody knows you ;)

If you dont have anything keeping you here then youd be stupid not to give something different a try.

Also, how come Hughsie has less UCAS points than you? :confused:

Going by Eck's method of saying..and this is an example...

Standard Grades:

Maths 10 points

English 8 points

PE 6 points

Chemistry 9 points

Higher:

English 20 points

PE 15 points

=68 points

Going By my method..

Standard Grade:

English 8 points

PE 6 points

Chemsitry 9 points

Maths 10 points

Higher:

English 20 points

PE 15

=54 points

Even though I sat English at Standard Grade I ruled out those points as I went on to a higher level. Otherwise it would reach 68 points as before. Make sense?

Sooooo.......

If I went with Eck's way I'd be on about 513 points but with my way only 393 or soemthing

I don't know how he has less, I calculated all mine today and came up with 264, including all my Standard Grades, Int 2's and that D.

1 x D = 42.

2 x Int 2 C's = 56.

3 X SG 2's = 84.

3 x SG 3's = 66.

1 x SG 4 = 16.

42 + 56 + 84 + 66 + 16 = 264.

Not being funny here but you can actually get into a unversity with just a D at higher level in 1 subject?!?!?

Jesus christ. My wee brothers 14, by the time he finishes school he'll probably just be able to walk up and sit down at whatever uni he fancies without having sat any exams at all.

Anyway back to the point.

If I were you id say feck Edinburgh and go move to another city. itll do you the world of good. Worst case scenario, you dont like it and come home and apply for Napier next year. Youll meet loads of new folk, experience a different lifestyle and you can do whatever you want because nobody knows you ;)

If you dont have anything keeping you here then youd be stupid not to give something different a try.

Also, how come Hughsie has less UCAS points than you? :confused:

Totally agree. Go to Southampton and decide at Christmas whether you're staying or not.

The problem with that is that if I decide I don't want to be there, I'm stuck.

The house I live in is likely going to be sold and my mother moving into a smaller place.

If I'm in Edinburgh, I have people to fall back on. This won't be the case down south.

I feel I should point out that given a straight choice, I'd be in Edinburgh every time.

Basically this thread is about whether or not I should apply to Napier on the basis of would I get accepted.

If that is all you wanted to know then you may as well apply. They can only say no, then you have England to fall back on.

Man up b*tch.

BoJack Horseman

Eh, hate to break it to you, but when calculating UCAS points, most Universities don't include Standard Grades. They very rarely let you include Int2s to be honest. Putting yourself forward at an interview, with your experience, is probably your best bet.

Purely including my Highers, i've got 404 apparently. No idea what i'd have if I included Int2s and Standard Grades.

Sorry, mate but they don't count Standard Grades towards UCAS points.

Tbh, I'd give it a go in Southampton. I know it's a big gamble but you may regret it in the future.

Eh, hate to break it to you, but when calculating UCAS points, most Universities don't include Standard Grades. They very rarely let you include Int2s to be honest. Putting yourself forward at an interview, with your experience, is probably your best bet.

Purely including my Highers, i've got 404 apparently. No idea what i'd have if I included Int2s and Standard Grades.

To be fair, the tariff tables are about as clear as mud.

I was also accepted into Solent on the basis of having over 220 UCAS points.

Walter Kidd

Eck.

Far be it from me to tell you what to do, but if I was given the chance at your age to go elsewhere than Scotland I would grab it with both hands. I went to Uni in Edinburgh and regret it as I had the option to go to Uni in Manchester as well.

Go for it mate. A wee bit of advice, your last decision is always your best one.

Cheers pal.

I feel I should point out that given a straight choice, I'd be in Edinburgh every time.

Basically this thread is about whether or not I should apply to Napier on the basis of would I get accepted.

Wouldn't worry about getting into Napier. They'll take feckin' anybody!*

*speaking from experience before anyone starts!

vladtheexhaler
Evening KB'ers, I'm currently faced with a tough decision.

I've been accepted for a course at Southampton Solent to do Football Studies, starting in September. But I'm having cold feet about it and have looked into the possibility of doing the same basic course at Napier instead.

Although it's not focused on football, it has the same end results if I get through it.

But, having read through the entry requirements, I've noticed a possible hurdle.

They ask for 230 UCAS points, which should be BBBC at Higher, with Maths, English and a science. An additional science at Standard grade as well. Now, my problem is this. I have 264 UCAS points, with a Standard Grade in Maths, English and Chemistry. No Highers.

Do you think that would be enough for me to be considered? Or should I just stick with Southampton?

Oh, I'd be applying through Clearing. I didn't originally apply to Napier.

If you don't have any highers then you will not be getting onto the Sport & Exercise Science course at Napier. Go to Stevenson or Telford, do an HNC in health fitness and exercise, or something similar, and apply for advanced entry into 2nd year at Napier.

Where are the 264 points coming from, Int 2's?

More to the point, you can do football studies at university?!?

You can indeed.

Theres a few universities that do the course.

Essentially just a coaching course.

If I'm in Edinburgh, I have people to fall back on. This won't be the case down south.

And that, Mr Eckauskas, will be the making off you.

Time to fly the nest and stand on your own 2 feet.

You can indeed.

Theres a few universities that do the course.

Essentially just a coaching course.

Is it a Uni or a college your going to attend? I am still in disbelief you can get anywhere near a uni with just one D at higher. I applied to Uni in 1999-2000 and for what I would call a "proper" degree (useful in the real world and not just one where you end up a teacher by default) you were looking at 3-4 Highers of at least one would be a B.

Denny Crane

Don't knock Southampton's offer on the head - at this stage you've been given an opportunity to get yourself within the university system. If things don't work out down there, you can transfer after your first year (although it is best to start this process after your first term). Usually, your first year will still stand and you can gain entry to any new institution (provided you are still doing the same degree subject) from second year.

vladtheexhaler
Is it a Uni or a college your going to attend? I am still in disbelief you can get anywhere near a uni with just one D at higher. I applied to Uni in 1999-2000 and for what I would call a "proper" degree (useful in the real world and not just one where you end up a teacher by default) you were looking at 3-4 Highers of at least one would be a B.

You certainly can't get onto a degree programme with one D. Some uni's offer Certificates of Higher Ed that allow you to progress onto a degree programme but even then 3 Highers are usually required.

heartsfc_fan
You certainly can't get onto a degree programme with one D. Some uni's offer Certificates of Higher Ed that allow you to progress onto a degree programme but even then 3 Highers are usually required.

Quite right. You need at least 3 highers if you want to do something at uni (normally anyway - unless its life midwifery or something ;))

Chances are they won't let you in. But all is not lost. go and do a HNC (a year at college) then with that they may let you in...

Also if you don't want to leave Edinburgh. Napier uni do a Sports Science course. I have two mates on it, say its decent.

Eck, mate - go for it at Southampton. If it's ****e, you can always come back and if you stick it out for a year, you can essentially go to any uni you wish.

I honestly don't think that you'll regret going down.

Better to regret something you have done than something you haven't.

Sometimes :P

Quite right. You need at least 3 highers if you want to do something at uni (normally anyway - unless its life midwifery or something ;))

Chances are they won't let you in. But all is not lost. go and do a HNC (a year at college) then with that they may let you in...

Also if you don't want to leave Edinburgh. Napier uni do a Sports Science course. I have two mates on it, say its decent.

Firstly - http://www.solent.ac.uk/Homepage.aspx Southampton Solent University.

Secondly - http://www.solent.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/football_studies_ba/course_details.aspx

Football Studies BA (Hons).

heartsfc_fan

Point being?

Mate if you are unsure. Give them an email/phone and ask them

Point being?

Mate if you are unsure. Give them an email/phone and ask them

That I got an unconditional offer from a university with one D at Higher. Something you said was impossible.

vladtheexhaler
That I got an unconditional offer from a university with one D at Higher. Something you said was impossible.

They must be pretty desperate for applicants as their standard entry requirements for the degree appear to stipulate a C at higher as minimum. The foundation degree courses appear to take anyone though.

Would be interested to know the numbers that go onto graduate employment from this 'University'.

heartsfc_fan

Didn't say it was "impossible" just said it'd be unlikely.

I'm in 3rd year now doing computer science and I needed 260 UCAS points (or something...but then it went on to say...you need to have 260 UCAS points - 180 of which have to be at higher level - so BB and a C I think).

That was the same for a lot of courses I applied for. Same goes for a few of my mates. One of them was set up and ready to go to Dundee, leaning on the fact he needed to get a B and a C in 6th year. It didn't happen, so he had to go off to college for a year.

Thing with Football Studies (is it called that?) it's not a specific course that relates to something you did at school (like Computing, History or Maths for example). So maybe they don't necessarily need you to have highers.

Eck.

Far be it from me to tell you what to do, but if I was given the chance at your age to go elsewhere than Scotland I would grab it with both hands. I went to Uni in Edinburgh and regret it as I had the option to go to Uni in Manchester as well.

Go for it mate. A wee bit of advice, your last decision is always your best one.

Cheers pal.

I'd agree.

Just completed uni in Edinburgh and it was a pile of scheckt. You don't meet as many new people, everybody I know who moved away for uni had a great time but all the ones who stayed and studied here didn't enjoy it at all.

tommythejambo
I'd agree.

Just completed uni in Edinburgh and it was a pile of scheckt. You don't meet as many new people, everybody I know who moved away for uni had a great time but all the ones who stayed and studied here didn't enjoy it at all.

Stayed in Edinburgh and went to Napier. Med shedloads of new people and having a ******ing great time. Each to their own I suppose.

In response to Eckuaskas, I would imagine you would get accepted to Napier through the clearing, as sometimes I think they can be desparate to fill up courses. But if you don't, you've pretty much wasted a year of your life.

heartsfc_fan
Stayed in Edinburgh and went to Napier. Med shedloads of new people and having a ******ing great time. Each to their own I suppose.

In response to Eckuaskas, I would imagine you would get accepted to Napier through the clearing, as sometimes I think they can be desparate to fill up courses. But if you don't, you've pretty much wasted a year of your life.

I agree with you Tommy. Edinburgh is a cracking city. I was brought up here and decided...well whats the point in getting in sheeeet loadsa debt just to be away from home to study...when there are 4 uni's in edinburgh!! I'm in 3rd year at Napier now. Met loads of folk and at the same time I'm not in any debt...(and I can see Hearts every week ;))

vladtheexhaler

Absolutely nae chance of getting into Napier with no highers. (D's don't count). Sport Science is a very popular course and due to the practical nature of the course numbers have to be restricted. Normal requirements are BBBC and whilst that may drop slightly for clearing, one D just isn't going to do it.

Call 08452 60 60 40 for confirmation of that.

tommythejambo
Absolutely nae chance of getting into Napier with no highers. (D's don't count). Sport Science is a very popular course and due to the practical nature of the course numbers have to be restricted. Normal requirements are BBBC and whilst that may drop slightly for clearing, one D just isn't going to do it.

Call 08452 60 60 40 for confirmation of that.

Misread the original post. I wasn't aware until today that standard grades counted towards UCAS points. If a Uni is offering you a place with just a 'D' as an entry requirement...Take it!

vladtheexhaler
Misread the original post. I wasn't aware until today that standard grades counted towards UCAS points. If a Uni is offering you a place with just a 'D' as an entry requirement...Take it!

Any respectable Uni and even most 'new universities' will not include any points from standard grades.

Any respectable Uni and even most 'new universities' will not include any points from standard grades.

they def count towards UCAS points, and every uni has to use UCAS im sure?

I'd agree.

Its obviously down to personal opinion, but i think going to university at home just defies the whole point.

They do but I think that is only if you don't get the results you need. They would consider how many UCAS points you get.

vladtheexhaler

I just happen to be working in the clearing department of a uni over the summer so spend my days accepting/declining applicants. We do not count standard grades towards the ucas tariff.

Not all uni's use the UCAS points - Edinburgh, Glasgow and St Andrews definately don't.

I don't believe for one second they count standard grades either.

Archived