Men Crying

londonjambo

Adi Dassler

I had not cried since Hearts won the cup in 2006......until Saturday/Sunday.

Got home at about 4am and went to bed with my headphones on. Sonnet by The Verve and there we go. No particular reason, just tears streaming down my face. No idea what it was all about.

I agree with this guy:

"I reckon men cry at odd times because they withhold the tears at more obvious times - it has to leak out some time but social conditioning frequently hinders this".

I also had a tear in my eye last night during the final few pages of Crime by Irvine Welsh (his best book since Glue incidentally IMO).

Perhaps i have opened some sort of floodgates.

scottish_chicP
Seriously? Men really cry at that stuff on that list? Jeez....:mw_rolleyes:

I have to confess - other people crying makes me really uncomfortable, whether it's men or women. I get really embarrassed and never know what to say or do. Maybe it's because I used to get dog's abuse for crying even as a kid. My mother never let me forget how I "made a show of her" by crying at my dad's funeral, for heaven's sake. Crying just wasn't allowed in our house....

Wow that's a bit harsh not being allowed to cry at your dad's funeral.

I cry for loads of things, sad films always get me. I'm a wouse!

jambo walesy

When listening to "The Green Fields Of France" on the coach after visiting the battlefields and gaveyards of WW1 in Belgium and France.

Especially after walking across the Somme.Also had a tear in my eye when i was allowed to lay a cross for the Hearts players.

I P Knightley
When listening to "The Green Fields Of France" on the coach after visiting the battlefields and gaveyards of WW1 in Belgium and France.

Had the same song going round in my head when I was at the Somme a few years ago. Definitely a lump in my throat and the same later as I listened closely to the song itself.

Probably more tears of anger though as I thought about what was happening at the time as Blair sent British soldiers off to fight a war for oil. Especially so since Blair is on record as saying that this is one of his favourite protest songs.

A man's got to be careful about crying, nobody wants to be labelled a bender!! Family deaths might be the only excusable time...

The final whistle at Dens Park in May 86 made me greet,but when I see myself now on the tele clips,I greet because I had a feckin mullet and tache.

My light blue crew neck was a shade loud aswell :eek:

3 generations of my family bubbling over from when the final whistle went to when Robbo lifted the cup....and then some more!

I P Knightley
Derek Redmond limping along the track, supported by his dad ...

Just had a wee watch of this:

weeping like a baby

(It's been a tiring week, I've had wine...)

Toxteth O'Grady
I just said I would put my baw on the line, never mentioned anything about cutting it off. :P

I put my baw on the line, just before I snorted it. ;)

That's a fair bit of back tracking

Will you be applying for Charlie Manns old job?

Off with the Baw, we'll settle for nothing less

:P

I also want to add when I saw Radiohead at the Caird Hall in 97.

Thom came out and played "Thinking About You" acoustically, and I was in bits.

I P Knightley
You're fecking joking right. Its a bloody animation (albeit a rather superb one).

I am on this one.

The kids had Toy Story 2 on in the car yesterday and when this came on I thought of adding it to the thread.

Mind you, I wouldn't dismiss tearjerkers just 'cos they're animation. I mean, if Bambi's mum had actually died rather than being stunned with a flesh woulnd, I don't know how I would have taken it. ;)

The Old Tolbooth
I am on this one.

The kids had Toy Story 2 on in the car yesterday and when this came on I thought of adding it to the thread.

Mind you, I wouldn't dismiss tearjerkers just 'cos they're animation. I mean, if Bambi's mum had actually died rather than being stunned with a flesh woulnd, I don't know how I would have taken it. ;)

:laugh:

Have you seen E.T.?

Miller Jambo 60
IMO there should be rules about men crying, it is only acceptable in the following situations.

1) Children's birth's. Or said child doing something spectacular, like signing for a football team or the like.

2) Death of a family member, this excludes Auntie's and Uncle's unless brought up by them. Close male friends are acceptable also. But friend has to be friend for at least lifetime. ;)

3) Football team winning something extraordinary. For Hearts this also includes Tennents 6's and upwards. :P

Things hetrosexual men should never cry at:

1) Weddings, regardless of who's getting married.

2) Any films. And even if it is to score with the bird you're taking to the cinema.

3) Animals dying. Whats that all about.

I'm sure there's more to add to both lists, mind's went a bit blank.

I burst in to big tears at midnight post 98 final.

Think it was mass relief TBH.

Plus i was well gassed:)

You?? Never.

davemclaren

What does it say on your hat? :wacko:

I remember sitting on my own watching the Atlanta Olympic Games opening ceremony and watching Ali trying to lift the torch to light the Olympic flame. The mans sheer determination and pride that he was going to do it despite his Parkinsons disease was amazingly emotional.

I must have been the only person on Earth not to know in advance that Ali was going to light the flame. I was sitting watching the opening ceremony (on my own), quietly grumbling into my beer about all that schmaltzy nonsense. Then it happened. And I blubbed like a lost child. One of the most memorable sporting moments of my life.

Guest Freewheelin' Jambo

When I was about 9 I cried at the end of "Ring of Bright Water".

Now I only cry if some idiot puts Water in my Whisky...

Archived