Exam Results the day

ZacBaker

Anyone else had to wait on these coming through?

Scariest thing ever

All worked out okey, got three A's and two B's ;)

Anyone else had to wait on these coming through?

Scariest thing ever

All worked out okey, got three A's and two B's ;)

A in English ? ;)

Well done folks, hope you all got what you needed.

No celebrating down the park with bottles of WKD now....or whatever it is that teenagers drink in parks these days. ;)

Well done folks, hope you all got what you needed.

No celebrating down the park with bottles of WKD now....or whatever it is that teenagers drink in parks these days. ;)

Pure Heroin.

Dean Winchester
Past all my exams today - only in 5th year so was my Standard Grades - but got all 1's and 2's!!!!

Dont you do them in 3rd year these days? :wacko:

Past all my exams today - only in 5th year so was my Standard Grades - but got all 1's and 2's!!!!

just as well you didn't have pedantic me marking your English ;)

standard grades done

English 3

P.E 4

Maths and Home Ec 5

quite impressed because i didn't do credit level!

Just finished 5th year got:

Higher English- B

Higher Modern studies B

Higher business-B

Higher PE- C

Int2 maths- C

Pretty chuffed.

Dr. Sheldon Cooper

Yep, same with me. Got 2 ones and 6 twos.

Dean Winchester
you do your standard grades in 4th year!!

Well my school was bringing it forward a year when I left because I was one of the guinea pigs who sat their English Standard Grade in 3rd year 4 years ago to see if it worked

blondejamtart

Well done to all - daughter is really chuffed with her Higher results too, despite predicting it would be all doom and gloom before the postie arrived this morning!

I P Knightley

Help!!

I don't understand all the words and numbers that people are saying. Is there an interpreter who can speak both 'current exams' and 'back in the day when exams were tougher and we all knew that an A was an A and there was no such exam as 'media studies' (aka watching the telly)...ramble, ramble, eeee now where's my Pan Drops'??

If you did well, congratulations.

If not, commiserations.

Higher English - B

Higher Modern Studies - B

Higher French - A

Higher History - A

Intermediate 2 Drama - A

Well doen everyone ;)

And btw, the number system is the same as the letters, as A-D descends in value, so does 1-7 in numbers!;)

heartsfc_fan
Help!!

I don't understand all the words and numbers that people are saying. Is there an interpreter who can speak both 'current exams' and 'back in the day when exams were tougher and we all knew that an A was an A and there was no such exam as 'media studies' (aka watching the telly)...ramble, ramble, eeee now where's my Pan Drops'??

If you did well, congratulations.

If not, commiserations.

I'm well into uni now, but I can explain it -

Standard grades are something you sit in 4th year at school. You get marked from 1 being the best right though to 7 being a complete fail.

You can also sit Intermediate 1 or 2 (like Standard grades, but slightly different - usually seen like a GCSE. Some subjects just work on Intermediates alone...Intermediate 2 is better than Intermediate 1). They work on A being the best mark and D being a near miss (for example 45%) then a complete fail.

Intermediates are usually sat by pupils in 4th or 5th year...

Finally the business end of things. 5th year you sit your highers. Graded (again like Intermediates) A to D...

Then in 6th year (or on the off chance if a pupil is overly smart in 5th year) you can sit your Advanced highers (if you desire). For example if you got an A or a B at higher in 5th year, you might want to sit an advanced higher in that subject (just like myself ;) although I have had no use for Advanced Higher Geography!).

Usually if you want to get into university then you need AT LEAST 3 good marks at higher (Three B's or something)...

Complicated process :wacko:

Just finished 5th year got:

Higher English- B

Higher Modern studies B

Higher business-B

Higher PE- C

Int2 maths- C

Pretty chuffed.

Mr W

These are good results - I am delighted for you; and of course you won me ?10.00 which I will naturally use to buy you a beer in celebration!

Well done mate.

John

Pure Heroin.

T'weren't like that back in my day...tsk tsk.

Mind you, we thought K cider was hardcore back then.

Dr. Bapswent
Where the hell is the postman with my results!! :mad::(

If you dont have your results yet, it means youv failed.

I P Knightley
I'm well into uni now, but I can explain it -

Complicated process :wacko:

Cheers mate.

I came from O-Grades, Highers & SYS; SYS being the doss you did in 6th year having got your highers in 5th and been given your place at Uni.

Though Scotland has a better reputation than the rest of the UK for school education, I still get the impression that there is over-examination and too many stopping off points.

to an old-timer like me, it appears that they're accrediting folk for partly completing a course of studies by introducing these intermediates & Higher/Advanced higher splits.

Still - not trying to pi55 on anyone's parade. You set out on a course of study and now have the evidence to show that you completed a difficult task very well.

If you dont have your results yet, it means youv failed.

Shut up! :P

No we just have a lazy postman been times where we have been sitting and post hasnt arrived til late afternoon

Just got mines (very late postie)

Highers:

English C

Chemistry C

PE A

Int 2:

Photography A

Maths C

Int 1:

Accounts A

Standard Grade:

French 1

Geography 2

Computing 3

Physics 3

The bold ones are the ones I received today.

Delighted.

Dean Winchester
By the way, Forries also do Standard Grades in 3rd year.

It was Forries I was talking about :cool:

Gavsy Van Gaverson
Just got mines (very late postie)

Highers:

English C

Chemistry C

PE A

Int 2:

Photography A

Maths C

Int 1:

Accounts A

Standard Grade:

French 1

Geography 2

Computing 3

Physics 3

The bold ones are the ones I received today.

Delighted.

Well done Hughesie - Good results.

blondejamtart

Ok....can someone explain to me what a D means in Highers or Advanced Highers? My niece got a D and someone told me that means she's failed, while someone else says no, it's still regarded as a pass? I'm confused - it was a much simpler system back in my day!

heartsfc_fan
Ok....can someone explain to me what a D means in Highers or Advanced Highers? My niece got a D and someone told me that means she's failed, while someone else says no, it's still regarded as a pass? I'm confused - it was a much simpler system back in my day!

Yes its a close fail 49%-45%

BUT

If you are going to Uni or College they will look at a "D" as a grade.

For example if you needed say....BBCC grades to get into uni and you got, say...BBBD or even BBCD you will probably get in

Hope that helps!

Well in that case I was first as well.

Who the hell are you!

His name is Gavin Riley.

I'm still more intelligent than you by the way.

Just shows how easy it is to pass photography, you were never there! Do you get a grade for remember each of the kep elements? Taking the lens off, pointing the camera in the right direction and remembering to push the button to take the photo.

You're not more intelligent than me, photography isn't that easy either. You try developing pictures.

blondejamtart

BUT

For example if you needed say....BBCC grades to get into uni and you got, say...BBBD or even BBCD you will probably get in

Hope that helps!

Yes, that does shed some light on it, thanks. They were advanced highers, and she's already got an unconditional offer for uni based on her higher results, so I don't think it'll really matter that much, although I think she's a bit disappointed from her own point of view.

vladtheexhaler

BUT

Hope that helps!

Most Uni's will not count the UCAS points for a D 'pass' towards entry requirements so they will actually look at it as a fail.

I P Knightley
Yes, that does shed some light on it, thanks. They were advanced highers, and she's already got an unconditional offer for uni based on her higher results, so I don't think it'll really matter that much, although I think she's a bit disappointed from her own point of view.

Sounds similar to my experience back in the day of "doing" SYS (Sixth Year Studies).

We knew early on that places in Uni were sealed and we had the option of either taking the SYS seriously and getting top grades in exams that wouldn't be looked at for employment or playing it for laughs.

I chose option 2 - although it wasn't all pi55ing about. It was probably my best year of learning but this wasn't reflected in grades. Effectively, I studied what I wanted to and spoke to teachers about anything interesting rather than sticking to a curriculum. Obviously not targeted for the end of year exams but great, pressure-free learning. To me, it's evidence of the damage that an exam system could do to folk; they sacrifice the joy of learning for the fear of failing.

Dean Winchester
You're not more intelligent than me, photography isn't that easy either. You try developing pictures.

Nah you werent, I was one of the first to do it with English, they rolled it out to all subjects after that. And I was in the year above you, was on one of the Cup Final buses with you and your bro Andy ;)

That's easy too. You just get the wee wire thing from the PC and plug it into the camera.

maroonlegions

well done to all who passed;) and i would just like to say a BIG well done and thank you to all the posties who were delivering them this morning.;)

Dr. Bapswent

ha ha ha

Brilliant stuff.

So you can say things like.

I got 5 A's and 2 B's

Might sound impressive huh.

But that can include an A in photography and other mickey mouse subjects?

I do appreciate teaching these subjects in school, i think its a good thing.

But while kids have less and less manners, more and more attitude and no respect for society these days, i think these are the things that should be taught, and not photography.

Kids these days can barely speak English properly jeez.

heartsfc_fan

If she got an Advanced higher "D" then thats still pretty good. If you know how the UCAS points system works, then a higher A is 72 UCAS points.

Whereas I an Advanced higher D is worth 72 aswell...

So really the subject she got the Advanced D in could have actually been improved this time round (assuming she didn't get a higher A in it last time).

I mean say it was Maths (for example...doesn't matter what subject) say she got a higher B last year...worth 60 UCAS points, and she gets an advaned D this time round she has improved by 12 UCAS points...

:wacko: probably doesn't make any sense what I've just said there, but here you go http://www.ucas.com/students/ucas_tariff/tarifftables/

ha ha ha

Brilliant stuff.

So you can say things like.

I got 5 A's and 2 B's

Might sound impressive huh.

But that can include an A in photography and other mickey mouse subjects?

I do appreciate teaching these subjects in school, i think its a good thing.

But while kids have less and less manners, more and more attitude and no respect for society these days, i think these are the things that should be taught, and not photography.

Kids these days can barely speak English properly jeez.

I could have done 'Write a POP song'' instead.

heartsfc_fan
Most Uni's will not count the UCAS points for a D 'pass' towards entry requirements so they will actually look at it as a fail.

However, someone who has an Advanced higher D will most likely get in over someone who might just have a higher B for example. It's happened to a friend I know a couple of years back. Also my mates boyfriend works for the SQA and he was explaining it to me...

Ach blah blah....:wacko:

I better get back to work ;)

Archived