Delay to the SPL!

200milesfromgorgie

The standard of refereeing in scotland is on a definite downhill slide...... yet they want a 33% (rising to 66%) pay rise or else they are gonna strike?!?!?!?

Utter toleys.

They have been told that they will have to stop being biased towards the OF. They need the extra money to pay for all the windows that will be smashed in their houses.

Doctor FinnBarr

In any other walk of life, a postal (secret) ballot must take place or the strike is deemed to be illegal. Have they done this?

:mad:

Professor.Arturo
"They do believe they are worth more money because of the pressure they are under now but they want the authorities to understand they need to be protected from chairman and managers who question their honesty and integrity.

Is that some kind of joke? We already know that anyone criticising a ref will be witch-hunted and heavily fined.

Bunch of jokers the lot of them!

vladtheexhaler

There is the real threat that they will not do the games this Saturday and I think there are a lot of fans that do support referees on this.

Geoff Kilpatrick
Is that some kind of joke? We already know that anyone criticising a ref will be witch-hunted and heavily fined.

Bunch of jokers the lot of them!

Is this the response to McCurry's blatant cheating at Ibronx then?

How dare United have the temerity to criticise. :rolleyes:

So the clubs feel that the SFA and SPL overprotect their referees, they cannot be criticised and don't have to answer to any mistakes publicly or provide the fans with any indication of why they made decisions (other than through a pi$$ poor website which I believe is now scrapped).

The referees feel that they get too much criticism from managers and chairmen and that the SFA and SPL do not protect them enough.

Easy solution - pay them the ?1k per match and make them fully accountable to the press after each match. The dross will soon disappear and the cream will rise to the top.

Maybe someone should tell the refs that respect is earned.

And if they feel they're under too much pressure they should ask themselves why.

Honestly, after the number of shambolic performances by refs last year, if I was one I'd be keeping my head down in case I got a well earned wage cut, rather than looking for a raise.

I've been looking forward to Saturday for weeks and if a bunch of refs ruin it for me by going on strike I'll actively seek them out and boot them in the R.S. McColls.

Guest juvehearts

The Refs really need to get a grip or step up to become a full time professional outfit.

i think the main reason that the standard of refereeing in scotland has declined in the past seasons is because they dont have a professional body to represent them on a FULL TIME basis.

maybe they really should ballot on weither to become a full time org rather than get paid a full time salary 1k per match is for FULL TIME refs.

IMO they can GTF & go back to pulling people out of the croud to do the linesman's job IMO they'd do a damn sight better than those jokers.

FERRYABROAD

Love the way they compare themselves with the Norwegian League - a country with one of the highest standard of living / wages in Europe.

Wonder what the refs get paid in places like Bulgaria & Rumania, countries just as good or not better than our own league.

Scottish refs - GTF !

the voice from above

We'll always have this pish until we have an elite squad of well paid, full time, proffessional refs.

Give them 35-45 grand a year top work exclusively for the SFA/SPL and make them fully accountable as in any other walk of life.

ArmiyaRomanova

"They do believe they are worth more money because of the pressure they are under now but they want the authorities to understand they need to be protected from chairman and managers who question their honesty and integrity."

Of course, the offer of a bribe or other inducement could also be seen as 'questioning' their integrity.

Can't be what they mean, can it? :whistling:

I assume they don't declare the OF bribes as part of their earnings then. Let them go on strike, it would be an ideal opportunity to bring in refs from furth of Scotland, and perhaps we'll see some fair results involving Falkirk and St Mirren this weekend.

We'll always have this pish until we have an elite squad of well paid, full time, proffessional refs.

Give them 35-45 grand a year top work exclusively for the SFA/SPL and make them fully accountable as in any other walk of life.

The fact that there is so much at stake in football games these days, financially and otherwise, and yet the results of games hinge on spur of the moment decisions made by only partly-accountable non-professional referees just beggars belief. :confused:

There is the real threat that they will not do the games this Saturday and I think there are a lot of fans that do support referees on this.

As long as they are as incompetent and/or bias, then I will not be one of them.

Their decisions, often wrong, and often inconsistent (even in the same games) is a joke, and it amazes me these 'genuine' mistakes a huge proportion of them time favour the OF. If they were geunine, you would expect a more even spread.

It must be the only profession where they can make a wrong decison, genuine or not, which can cost a company (the football club) millions of pounds, bf effecting their league position or a cup result, and possibly cost managers and players their jobs as a result, but that can not even been criticised or have someone comment it was a bad performance.

Any other profession would not stand for it, for example, if an employee of an FSA made a bad decision that cost a financial firm a lot of money, they would be entitled to question the decision without being fined.

heart & soul

Why don't the SPL ship some refs in from Eastern Europe. They could employ half as many and pay them a fraction of the money the current lot are on. Further more they may be less biased towards the Ugly Sisters and a little more sympathetic to our cause.:P

FTH

I've been looking forward to Saturday for weeks and if a bunch of refs ruin it for me by going on strike I'll actively seek them out and boot them in the R.S. McColls.

I had a face like fizz as I'm getting ready to go to my work, but this has just cheered me up......... excellent!! ;)

I assume they don't declare the OF bribes as part of their earnings then. Let them go on strike, it would be an ideal opportunity to bring in refs from furth of Scotland, and perhaps we'll see some fair results involving Falkirk and St Mirren this weekend.

Be interesting to see the number of red and yellow cards issued by a non-Scottish ref in charge of an OF game.

Currently these players are allowed to kick each other , swear openly at and occasionally physically attach officials , dive for penalty's and fouls , question every decision made , wind up opposing fans with blatantly sectarian images in their undershirts and generally bring the game and the country into disrepute.

And all under the watchful eye of our corrupt , morally bankrupt and blatantly biased governing body.

Its a joke. They're just like the Passport Office that goes on strike the week before the Holiday season or the Post Office striking the week before Xmas. Not a peep until 4 days before the season starts.

What other "Amatuer Saturday job" pays out ?600 for no responsibilty if you get things wrong?

?800 per match would probably take them into the higher earners at Fester Road and refs also have another job during the week.

Given the credit crunch they've got a brass neck expecting a big hike in their wage.

An extra ?200 doesnt make them any more responsible. Offer them the cash in return for meeting the press after the games, explaining their decisions and the threat of refereeing Sunday League games for a tenner if performances are biased or poor.

An extra ?200 isnt gonna make a blind bit of difference to any decisions made, its still gonna be "The Bigot Brothers must win at all costs".

If Old Firm struggling in match either

a) Send opposing player(s) off

B) Give dodgy penalty

c) Play additional time until Old Firm score

d) All of the above

Very few of them will get less than ?40k in their current jobs. They tend to be lawyers, bankers, policemen, company managing directors etc. Add on top of that bonuses, pensions and so on, I'm not sure that many would look to go full time for much less than ?70k a year.

I've always believed there should a footballing code of conduct that extends further than supporters, players and coaches. i.e Administrators, referees and journalists/media. If they want more money, fine but:-

- Disclose the team you support

- Push for television evidence

- Complete your match report within 60 minutes of a game finishes (under exam adjudication conditions)

- As you say you are human beings who make human mistakes (i.e 'homers'). Part of your training should include continual mind counselling to cut it out.

- Accept that if you make an inexcusable error (Brines; Conroy; Clark; McCurry) you get demoted.

Oh, and

- Referee Old Firm games the same way as everyone else.

That all said, while typing this up, I've just come up with an idea. Why don't they put up some sort of bond at the start of the season, say ?50k. For each mistake, you get ?500 quid taken off what is given back to you.

And finally, if there are any pro refs out there who read this forum -

You might think you are in a position to hold the game at ransom, but everyone thinks the standards are getting worse. So asking for more money, especially when the country could be going through some tough times for the next couple of years, is at the very minimum a damned cheek. For the sake of an extra few hundred quid, in the long run it might well not be worth it.

Francis Albert

Their claim would give them in a season more than typical part time non-Executive Directors in FTSE100 companies.

It will also make the OF bias worse the higher paid they are or if they become full time professional. What's the surest way to be downgraded as a referee? Make controversial decisions against the OF. The more is at stake the less likely are refereees to give them.

Notice that rent-a-quote Lex Gold is talking to the press about the refs at the moment. Strange that he has had NOWT to say about the illegal OF demand for 5% of away tickets....

Romanov Stole My Pension

I've just got the first two Saturdays off work. I'll be fumin if it's delayed.

With talks of reccession and with it redundancies and wage freezes in a large number of companies across the UK (my own work included) these over paid w4nks really make me sick.

who here would take 600 quid for 90 minutes work? I certainly would...

I have been looking forward to saturday for months now and will be gutted if these tools ruin it.:mad:

the voice from above
Very few of them will get less than ?40k in their current jobs. They tend to be lawyers, bankers, policemen, company managing directors etc. Add on top of that bonuses, pensions and so on, I'm not sure that many would look to go full time for much less than ?70k a year.

You're probably right about the current raft of ******s we have as officials.

But I imagine there would be a considerable number of ex players (pros/semi-pros) who wouldn't mind a route back into the game and a ?40 grand a year salary.

Given two years training and refereeing at the lower levels I reckon we'd have a far better standard of referee than what we have to put up with at present...

Go 4 it refs strike please. Well am just being a selfish git coz am away this w/end to Germany (coz of a b/day grrrrr).

On a serious note why not say to the refs thatwe'll give you upto ?900 per game BUT it must be performance related. If you make any mistakes then you loose ?50 per serious error. This way it might make them there decsion making proccess better knowing they will loose money if the ******-up. However a start of the season on the 15th would suit me ;)

This is laughable.

A group of people who under perform on a regular basis, don't want to be accountable, don't want to be scrutinised and want a massive inflationary rise....FFS.

Can't wait for my next salary discussion with my boss.

Shower of toleys the lot of them.

Archived