wanting too much too quick.......

Debut 4

That`s the feeling i get from alot of Hearts fans on here.

The standard was set two years ago and we thought we were never going to go back to the days of finishing miles behind the OF in third place or worse.

Understandably, the after effects linger and we pine for those days again.

But have some fans really lost focus? I get the impression many think we should just saunter back up to the top three.

I expect us to do our damnest to do so but the reality is we have taken a huge step back and we are in recovery.

Teams in recovery don`t suddenly win leagues the following season. In the back of our minds we hope for a "Burley" this year but i don`t think any level headed Hearts fan thinks that`s possible.

That`s not being negative, i`m optimistic as ever, i still hold quiet belief Hearts might just turn it on this season, but i`d like to see at a minimum, Hearts play like they mean it week in week out.

I believe more promising youngters should be given a chance and brought through with the more experienced players. This may still bring inconsistency but that`s what emerging teams go through until they get more experience.

I`d hope we`ll see a far more entertaining and winning Hearts team than last season and that we`ll see encouragement from the fans to get the club back up on it`s feet again.

Just please don`t expect wonders, just steady progression.

Personally I'm looking for us to get a UEFA Cup spot this season. A re-run of last season would be a disaster for us - and for Romanov, and I suspect that he knows that all too well.

robin hood jambo

I have to say i agree with most of what you've said.

I think we have improved under shaba and will continue to do so, but at a slower rate as he sources the players HE wants and gets rid of others,

I think the arabs will push on from last year but i think we do have to look at 3rd or 4th place as being the target and an achievable one at that considering the potential within the squad to play at a better more consistent level under a manager like lazlo

Only a Game

I think most fans who watched for the last couple of years can see that we will definetly need at least one new striker for THIS season. If we dont get one at least then we're not going to score enough goals to improve our position much.

One new striker this week would make me reasonably happy and confident that we'll get top six at the very least, and more likely third or fourth. I'm a bit concerned that we're starting the season with what we have up front.

Apart from that, I'm quite happy to wait and see how good some players in the rest of the team really are before we go signing anything other than a striker.

There's always January.

Era Macaroons
That`s the feeling i get from alot of Hearts fans on here.

The standard was set two years ago and we thought we were never going to go back to the days of finishing miles behind the OF in third place or worse.

Understandably, the after effects linger and we pine for those days again.

But have some fans really lost focus? I get the impression many think we should just saunter back up to the top three.

I expect us to do our damnest to do so but the reality is we have taken a huge step back and we are in recovery.

Teams in recovery don`t suddenly win leagues the following season. In the back of our minds we hope for a "Burley" this year but i don`t think any level headed Hearts fan thinks that`s possible.

That`s not being negative, i`m optimistic as ever, i still hold quiet belief Hearts might just turn it on this season, but i`d like to see at a minimum, Hearts play like they mean it week in week out.

I believe more promising youngters should be given a chance and brought through with the more experienced players. This may still bring inconsistency but that`s what emerging teams go through until they get more experience.

I`d hope we`ll see a far more entertaining and winning Hearts team than last season and that we`ll see encouragement from the fans to get the club back up on it`s feet again.

Just please don`t expect wonders, just steady progression.

wot a load o pash

your resigning yourself to mediocrisy already.

the season starts on Saturday, all clubs are geared up for the off yet your saying whurs the blinkers.

we have 'steadily progressed' to being in the same boat at the start of the season as we have been for the last 20 years.

wot a load o pash

the season starts on Saturday, all clubs are geared up for the off yet your saying whurs the blinkers.

we have 'steadily progressed' to being in the same boat at the start of the season as we have been for the last 20 years.

Put yer brain back in pal. I can tell you right now i don`t accept anything other than first place, on a personal basis in anything i do.

What did you expect Csaba to do? Empty out 7 to 10 players and have feck all to play with?

It takes time numbnut, Jim Jefferies had to do it 13 years ago. It took him a season to get our pride back then we went on from there.

Only a Game
wot a load o pash

To be fair, we are in a better position going into this season than we have been in the last two seasons before this.

Until the games start being played we wont know if thats good enough or not. If its not then presumably something gets done about it and if we are then so much the better.

Before yesterday i was looking for 3rd/4th.

After watching us yesterday i would say top six is more realistic.

Era Macaroons
Put yer brain back in pal. I can tell you right now i don`t accept anything other than first place, on a personal basis in anything i do.

What did you expect Csaba to do? Empty out 7 to 10 players and have feck all to play with?

It takes time numbnut, Jim Jefferies had to do it 13 years ago. It took him a season to get our pride back then we went on from there.

CLUNK

ahhh, where was I?

So we're first now, excellent. has the season finished yet?

debut 4_thumb.jpg

Clerry Jambo

Calm doon Debut;)

On our Budget we should not be guaranteed third but not far away each season from that target..........but because of the total mismanagement of the squad since Burley left we are coming back from a long way.

As I said on another thread, apart from Larry we have no-one with the craft and guile to breakdown average defences, to many average and similar midfielders, never dealt with the full back areas and ofcourse no consistent goalscorer, that my friend is why I think we will struggle unless Vlad opens his purse and get 2/3 quality signings in.

Only a Game
Before yesterday i was looking for 3rd/4th.

After watching us yesterday i would say top six is more realistic.

There was only 8 points difference between 6th and 3rd last season.

If you think top six is realistic then its not much of a leap to think 3rd/4th is also realistic.

Winning against the rivals for 3rd to 6th places more often than they win against us will probably do it.

Too much too quick?

I've been waiting 2 years for us to start to get better.

2 completely wasted pishy years

Era Macaroons
To be fair, we are in a better position going into this season than we have been in the last two seasons before this.

Until the games start being played we wont know if thats good enough or not. If its not then presumably something gets done about it and if we are then so much the better.

Yip...and how do we approach these games?.....by expecting to win them.

I'm happy the way things are going & I'm prepared to be patient.

The fall from grace during 2006/07 was enough to make me realise that supporting Hearts will only ever bring occasional success, even with a millionaire owner.

I'm hoping that we will begin to build a decent side from this point on.

Next seasons expections? None.

Era Macaroons
Calm doon Debut;)

On our Budget we should not be guaranteed third but not far away each season from that target..........but because of the total mismanagement of the squad since Burley left we are coming back from a long way.

As I said on another thread, apart from Larry we have no-one with the craft and guile to breakdown average defences, to many average and similar midfielders, never dealt with the full back areas and ofcourse no consistent goalscorer, that my friend is why I think we will struggle unless Vlad opens his purse and get 2/3 quality signings in.

I totally agree with your Larry comments....he has the brains to break down the most inhospitible of defences.

He just needs a similar thinking striker to pass too (Rio?)

Only a Game
Yip...and how do we approach these games?.....by expecting to win them.

Expecting to lose them isnt going to work is it ?

scott herbertson

Can't see us getting much out of the first two games, bu after that we have a decent run of fixtures. If Csaba has sorted out a front two pairing for his preferred 4-4-2 by then I think we should end up between 5th and 3rd.

In my view what we need is more a proven target man than a proven scorer - someone on the Clark/ Bone/ Brewster/ Niall Quinn model who is old and wise enough to nurture Driver, Glen and others as they come through and lay off the goal scoring chances plus hold up play for Kingston and the other midfielders (Obua, Stewart) who are potential scorers to break from midfield.

Calm doon Debut;)

I think we have a nucleus of good players but what happens if Larry gets injured for example?(like you point out)

Driver is skillful and has the pace but wingers can be marked out of the game. Stewart and Pala are good in possession but not forward thinking as Larry, but maybe Csaba can change that?

Taking Larry out exposes our lack of attacking options from midfield, simple as that. That`s why we should have been looking to employ a decent right sided mid to let Larry go back inside.

Having said that, attacking options should almost come from every area of the pitch. One thing i`ve longed for is a quality attacking right/left back who knows when to support and when to just sit, someone balanced like Fyssas.

Problem is that Celtic and Rangers aren't as good as they think they are, that's the most frustrating thing, had we managed to keep Burley on and added 2 or 3 QUALITY players to the 05/06 squad, then added maybe 1 or 2 more each season without going overboard(Jan 06 for example), we would have been in the mix when the trophies were being handed out. At the moment, we've gone back 15 years when Sandy Clark then Tommy McLean were in the hotseat. The McLean season was actually very similar, poor league performances yet knocking Rangers out the Scottish Cup 4-2 (4-1 League win this season) and knocking Celtic out the League cup 1-0 (2-0 League cup this year) yet losing to lesser teams. We're going to need 6 or 7 players (LB, RB, CH, GK, AtMid & 2 Strikers) If we have to progress bit by bit in the League, we must do what it takes to get to two CupFinals, that would be an improvement....to start with.

Era Macaroons
Expecting to lose them isnt going to work is it ?

thats why im saying what im saying!!!

some folk r going, oh but what about this n that....pash.

Era Macaroons
Problem is that Celtic and Rangers aren't as good as they think they are, that's the most frustrating thing, had we managed to keep Burley on and added 2 or 3 QUALITY players to the 05/06 squad, then added maybe 1 or 2 more each season without going overboard(Jan 06 for example), we would have been in the mix when the trophies were being handed out. At the moment, we've gone back 15 years when Sandy Clark then Tommy McLean were in the hotseat. The McLean season was actually very similar, poor league performances yet knocking Rangers out the Scottish Cup 4-2 (4-1 League win this season) and knocking Celtic out the League cup 1-0 (2-0 League cup this year) yet losing to lesser teams. We're going to need 6 or 7 players (LB, RB, CH, GK, AtMid & 2 Strikers) If we have to progress bit by bit in the League, we must do what it takes to get to two CupFinals, that would be an improvement....to start with.

An organised Herats team can always beat the OF. as we have seen on many occassions....but the fans need to be +ve to spur them on to it.

Buffalo Bill

I'm just looking forward to seeing the team play with a bit of passion.

Not really bothered, as long as the boys fight all the way and in Csaba, I believe we'll get just that.

...and I miss The Diggers too.

All in all, I can't wait.

Buffalo Bill

I'm happy the way things are going & I'm prepared to be patient.

The fall from grace during 2006/07 was enough to make me realise that supporting Hearts will only ever bring occasional success, even with a millionaire owner.

I'm hoping that we will begin to build a decent side from this point on.

Next seasons expections? None.

Spot on.

I have seen enough in the games games I have been to this season to suggest that we will take a decent step forward from last year but maybe 2009-10 will see us make a bigger impact.

I am just looking forward to Hearts been run as a football club - anything else is a bonus.

Guest jambomickey
Spot on.

I have seen enough in the games games I have been to this season to suggest that we will take a decent step forward from last year but maybe 2009-10 will see us make a bigger impact.

I am just looking forward to Hearts been run as a football club - anything else is a bonus.

spot on! i think we need a couple of signings and we need to live within our means' youngsters coming through the ranks is the way ahead long term for us

LiamWallace

all i want is to look forwardt o a Saturday again and i think i will this season with Csaba the miracle man in charge got my enthusaism back again!

hinksikensi

i think the original poster speaks a lot of sense. We have NO divine right to be top or even 3rd. With stability at the club we should be aiming for 3rd, absolutel.

We will never compete consistently with the old firm. Never have. Never will.

Some fans do expect too much because of one good season, these are the ones that only started following us a few years ago.

gowestjambo
Too much too quick?

I've been waiting 2 years for us to start to get better.

2 completely wasted pishy years

Ive been waiting over 40 years! As a major Capital city club I would hate to think how we compare to other European capital city teams!

Imagine starting a competition and not trying to win from day one!

Years of mismanagement under successive owners have dulled our expectations and we see 3rd as success.

The greatest pity is that Romanov before shooting himself in the foot, offered hope for the first time!

Era Macaroons
Ive been waiting over 40 years! As a major Capital city club I would hate to think how we compare to other European capital city teams!

Imagine starting a competition and not trying to win from day one!

Years of mismanagement under successive owners have dulled our expectations and we see 3rd as success.

The greatest pity is that Romanov before shooting himself in the foot, offered hope for the first time!

Your my hero.

Too many people prepared to accept... , not even 2nd best but 3rd best .....BEFORE A BALLS BEEN KICKED.

Riddley Walker
Your my hero.

Too many people prepared to accept... , not even 2nd best but 3rd best .....BEFORE A BALLS BEEN KICKED.

i think 3rd best is REALISTICALLY the best we can hope for. even though the old firm are *****e, the still have the financial muscle to pull in and retain players like nakamura, boruc, cuellar etc, which is something we don't have.. however i do think with the correct management and a couple of quality signings we could take 3rd easily and POSSIBLY challenge to some extent

Era Macaroons
Is 4 league championships in 138 years the basis of your optimism?

Ken wot, your right....I just cannot beat the stats....when does the Celtic bus pick up at the Centurian?

igiveup_thumb.jpg

Ken wot, your right....I just cannot beat the stats....when does the Celtic bus pick up at the Centurian?

Had you down as more of a Hobo myself.

Era Macaroons
Had you down as more of a Hobo myself.

What times it?

ok

Yes. you can clearly see hibs players defending the goal there.

:balmoral:

Your my hero.

What are you all about? I NEVER said i accept mediocrity or starting off a campaign not wanting to win.

I am talking about the talent we have in the squad(or lack of it).

To motivate a team to success you also need the players. I expect Hearts to compete the best they can and TRY to win the league, Scots Cup, League Cup, and i`ll be right behind them, but whether we are good enough is another matter, and that`s what my thread is about.

You can give momentus team talks before every game if you want but it matters feck all if the players you have don`t have the mentality in the first place or the talent. I place a big question mark over some on these points.

We will only find out as the pressure of real games kick in. So don`t come greeting on here IF it doesn`t work out at some point this season, because expecting big things from a team that finished 8th last season makes you deluded.

I will go as usual and believe in Hearts and give them my 200% backing because i believe we have a good coach and some good players, and because of this i hope we see a big change.

But lets just see how it materialises.

Era Macaroons
What are you all about? I NEVER said i accept mediocrity or starting off a campaign not wanting to win.

I am talking about the talent we have in the squad(or lack of it).

To motivate a team to success you also need the players. I expect Hearts to compete the best they can and TRY to win the league, Scots Cup, League Cup, and i`ll be right behind them, but whether we are good enough is another matter, and that`s what my thread is about.

You can give momentus team talks before every game if you want but it matters feck all if the players you have don`t have the mentality in the first place or the talent. I place a big question mark over some on these points.

We will only find out as the pressure of real games kick in. So don`t come greeting on here IF it doesn`t work out at some point this season, because expecting big things from a team that finished 8th last season makes you deluded.

I will go as usual and believe in Hearts and give them my 200% backing because i believe we have a good coach and some good players, and because of this i hope we see a big change.

But lets just see how it materialises.

more pash.

wee joke above ;)

My response that you quoted was to GOWESTs comment (imagine starting a compo and not aiming to win it).

I have no doubt that you back the team 200% and wish us well.

I just think our initial sights should be aimed a bit higher...Celtic might be busy in Europe, Rangers are simply a very poor side....we could have a sparkling season like a few years ago.

True we do not have the best of squads on paper, but we have a new manager (and hes unchartered territory), maybe hes the dugs baws and can gel us into a great team.

it IS possible to send out average players thinking they are totally magic.

We just dont know. So until such point as we are well behind anyone....Hearts are in it.

Our last season was a shocker yes, but not the norm.

Im also expecting excellent cup runs, a Final at least. If it doesnt happen then I'm big enough to swallow it....but when we start each of those cup runs, thats what I expect.

We are only 'not good enough' when its been proven over the season that were not good enough.

Orrabest.

more pash.

wee joke above ;)

My response that you quoted was to GOWESTs comment (imagine starting a compo and not aiming to win it).

I have no doubt that you back the team 200% and wish us well.

I just think our initial sights should be aimed a bit higher...Celtic might be busy in Europe, Rangers are simply a very poor side....we could have a sparkling season like a few years ago.

True we do not have the best of squads on paper, but we have a new manager (and hes unchartered territory), maybe hes the dugs baws and can gel us into a great team.

it IS possible to send out average players thinking they are totally magic.

We just dont know. So until such point as we are well behind anyone....Hearts are in it.

Our last season was a shocker yes, but not the norm.

Im also expecting excellent cup runs, a Final at least. If it doesnt happen then I'm big enough to swallow it....but when we start each of those cup runs, thats what I expect.

We are only 'not good enough' when its been proven over the season that were not good enough.

Orrabest.

I hope it doesn`t come to that mate, i hope we`re sitting here in May talking about a great league season and another cup win!;)

Era Macaroons
I hope it doesn`t come to that mate, i hope we`re sitting here in May talking about a great league season and another cup win!;)

Dont you go pushing the boat out now!!....that might just be wanting too much too quick ;)

Turn your speakers up. Enjoy.

Archived