Two Miles to Tynecastle - Rate the book.

chester copperpot

chester copperpot

Sorry BB, but someone had to. Received my (signed :)) copy yesterday, and have not been able to put it down. Nearly finished it. Haven't read the Taking on Albert Kidd onwards, but read more of a book in the last 24 hours than I've ever done in my life.

Could not put this book down. I realise that it will be a bias vote, seen as we're all Hearts fans on this site, but wanted to know what the other's who had read it thought.

I have never ever read a book that puts me in all the same situations that he has been in, and used the written word to describe exactly how I felt as a Hearts fan.

From describing the pains and joys of being a Hearts fan, to the sufferings of his poor wife Les, it really hit a chord with me as a hearts fan.

Only criticism I have of the book is that he missed out the 'Champions League, la la la la la' chant of Takis when we qualified against Aberdeen, but apart from that (I bet I've missed it somewhere now ;)), it was just superb.

Big thumbs up from me Bill, superb read, really made me laugh, cry and go through the experience with you. Never have I read a book that has encapsulated me in that way.

10/10.

So whats everyone else's thoughts, and what was your favourite bit?

chester copperpot
Purchasing tonight but will be saving it for my holiday in a fortnights time.

I tried to save it for a weekend that I could be free, but I started it last night thinking I'd save it for this weekend. Never happened, couldn't put it down.

Andrew-Henry Bowie, I salute you sir.

Mine is on its way from amazon.... Looking forward to reading it. Been reading a lot ot scottish true crimes lately..

Carl Weathers
I tried to save it for a weekend that I could be free, but I started it last night thinking I'd save it for this weekend. Never happened, couldn't put it down.

Andrew-Henry Bowie, I salute you sir.

I hate flying and have two big flights to catch, so I'm hoping the book and a few suds will take my mind off it. Chances are I'll start reading it before I go though!

I liked it a lot.

Thinking where you were & what you were doing before/after certain victories or let downs. Obviously a Hearts fan will relate to the book a great deal.

A fairly big read as well, so it was.

Great stuff.

I thoroughly enjoyed the book when I read it. My favourite part was his penalty kick and his brothers reaction. Really made me laugh out loud.

Nucky Thompson
Sorry BB, but someone had to. Received my (signed :)) copy yesterday, and have not been able to put it down. Nearly finished it. Haven't read the Taking on Albert Kidd onwards, but read more of a book in the last 24 hours than I've ever done in my life.

Could not put this book down. I realise that it will be a bias vote, seen as we're all Hearts fans on this site, but wanted to know what the other's who had read it thought.

I have never ever read a book that puts me in all the same situations that he has been in, and used the written word to describe exactly how I felt as a Hearts fan.

From describing the pains and joys of being a Hearts fan, to the sufferings of his poor wife Les, it really hit a chord with me as a hearts fan.

Only criticism I have of the book is that he missed out the 'Champions League, la la la la la' chant of Takis when we qualified against Aberdeen, but apart from that (I bet I've missed it somewhere now ;)), it was just superb.

Big thumbs up from me Bill, superb read, really made me laugh, cry and go through the experience with you. Never have I read a book that has encapsulated me in that way.

10/10.

So whats everyone else's thoughts, and what was your favourite bit?

Nobody has giving a customer review on amazon yet.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Two-Miles-Tynecastle-Andrew-Henry-Bowie/dp/1906358184

You're the man to do it Andy:)

Thoroughly enjoyed it, very courageous as BB’s honesty was quite brutal in parts regarding his childhood.

Would recommend it for anyone, not just Hearts fans, early 70’s kids or Edinburgh lad’s. But if you’re an early 70’s born, Edinburgh Hearts fan then this book should be a must buy.

Congratulations Andy.

chester copperpot
Thoroughly enjoyed it, very courageous as BB?s honesty was quite brutal in parts regarding his childhood.

Would recommend it for anyone, not just Hearts fans, early 70?s kids or Edinburgh lad?s. But if you?re an early 70?s born, Edinburgh Hearts fan then this book should be a must buy.

Congratulations Andy.

As someone born in '74 (year after you BB :P) I thoroughly enjoyed it. The thing is, even if you weren't born in the 70's, the older members on here could still enjoy it, as they have been pretty much in the same situation since the mid 50's. And the guys born in the 80's/early 90's, its gives you a great feel of what happened so close to when you were born.

I think I should ask for 5% of the book sales after boosting it on here (Just call me Mr. Cellick).

As a side point one of the other high points of the book was the description when he was heading back on the Diggers bus after the semi, saw the famous Hibs radio presenter, and saw Therapist half his top to wind the said radio presenter up about his brother's alleged problem's at the time.

A total classic.

Thoroughly enjoyed it, very courageous as BB?s honesty was quite brutal in parts regarding his childhood.

Would recommend it for anyone, not just Hearts fans, early 70?s kids or Edinburgh lad?s. But if you?re an early 70?s born, Edinburgh Hearts fan then this book should be a must buy.

Congratulations Andy.

I note that you do not admit to being in that age bracket. :)

Sixties kid!

yvonnejambo

Yeah I read it and it brought back many memories. I do think something touches you when its based around areas you know, as well as being young around the same time (ok Im a teensy bit older) and obviously the same love for the club.

My son is reading it just now and isnt quite as intrigued, but I think the more he reads and the bits he will identify with like big bens :eek: he will enjoy it.

Great read and well written. Im sure even the literate hobos may enjoy a read through.

Well done BB now when you going to sign mine? :)

where can i buy the book?

You can buy it online from Amazon, you could also go to either Waterstones on Princes St where it is (if BB is telling the truth) currently number one in their non fiction chart thingmy.:)

portobellojambo1

The book arrived on a Saturday morning, I started reading it at lunchtime on the Saturday, and finished it off early morning on the Sunday.

Although there are many parts to the book that make you laugh out the one I remember most is identical to Cobbler's, Towzer's reaction to Buffalo Bill missing a penalty in a local derby (won't go into any more detail as there appear to be many who have not yet finished reading it or are yet to purchase it).

As someone born in the late 50's and brought up on a council estate in East Edinburgh I found it very easy to relate to in general.

I pre-ordered it when BB told me about it but it still hasn't arrived yet.

Having spent a fair bit of time in the company of BB's elder brother during my teenage years I know there will be some hillarious moments.

Looking forward to reading it.

chester copperpot
The book arrived on a Saturday morning, I started reading it at lunchtime on the Saturday, and finished it off early morning on the Sunday.

Although there are many parts to the book that make you laugh out the one I remember most is identical to Cobbler's, Towzer's reaction to Buffalo Bill missing a penalty in a local derby (won't go into any more detail as there appear to be many who have not yet finished reading it or are yet to purchase it).

As someone born in the late 50's and brought up on a council estate in East Edinburgh I found it very easy to relate to in general.

No one's rated it out of 10 like me yet though PJ1? ;)

Come on peeps, I'm sure that BB wants some reviews on here. :P

Boaby Ewing

I read it back in June, on my way to and in Lebanon, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I was born in 1980 and I'm a Clerwood brat, but I still related to a lot of it.

It's by no means the greatest piece of literature I've ever read, but it is generally well written, funny, and remarkably honest. It could have perhaps done with a bit more editing -- some stories could have been expanded, whilst some could have been cut down.

But then I was working my way through a Murakami novel at the same time, and I know which one I finished first.

7.5 out of 10, if I'm being an impartial critic -- and I've only ever met BB once and certainly never penned a book.

Frankly, if you grew up in west Edinburgh around that time, I can't see why you wouldn't want to read it. He captures a lot of it well.

chester copperpot
As a Midlothian Schemie I related to it as well. I particularly liked the last page. :P

Dont spoil it, I amn't reading the rest until tomorrow night. :P

Only up to the Albert Kidd thingy. ;)

As a Midlothian Schemie I related to it as well. I particularly liked the last page. :P

Never had you down as a schemie Dave.

Not with the tache and all.

davemclaren
Never had you down as a schemie Dave.

Not with the tache and all.

I grew out of it - both the tache and the scheme. I was brought up in the nut scheme by the way... :cool:

Absolutely loved it and also couldn't put it down once I got started...I think he's the first author to make me laugh out loud in public since I made the fateful mistake of reading Bill Bryson on the bus. :)

The honesty was overwhelming at times and I had a few wee teary episodes...but mostly I smiled a lot...especially at the various dancing related incidents. Hehe.

Being fellow Esso alumni, the petrol station stuff also brought back some weird and wonderful reminders of my teenage years and the music mentioned throughout was a real trip down memory lane. And the Hearts related stuff...well...I guess it shows that no matter who you are or where you were, these things felt the same for everyone....

Brilliant stuff Andrew-Henry. ;)

I'm biased as I count Andrew as a mate.

To be honest I was dreading reading it in case I hated it, hated the idea of standing in Diggers trying to find a way to say in a nice way that it was rubbish.

Luckily I don't have that problem as I enjoyed it thoroughly.

chester copperpot
I'm biased as I count Andrew as a mate.

To be honest I was dreading reading it in case I hated it, hated the idea of standing in Diggers trying to find a way to say in a nice way that it was rubbish.

Luckily I don't have that problem as I enjoyed it thoroughly.

You got so many mentions in there, I want your autograph too. ;)

I read it weeks ago and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I was born in '71 (I can't believe I'm older than Andy! Shocked and stunned!) and can relate to a fair bit although I was brought up in a tenement flat in Lochend and like all Leithers I had no experience of anywhere on the other side of Princes Street. (I didn't get to Tynecastle until about '83)

As DdlN said, it's not the best work of literature ever written, but then I've not written so much as a pamphlet so who the hell am I to judge that!

I'll give it an 8, very enjoyable, nostalgic wallowing and heartfelt honesty.

The thing I couldn't get over was the detail that Andrew recalled. I was at most, almost all, of the games he writes about. I know I was, but I can barely remember a thing about them. They all merge into one, with the exception of the big games, Dens, semi finals, hat tricks at Ibrox etc.

like all Leithers I had no experience of anywhere on the other side of Princes Street.

Damn right. I get confused south of Princes Street. I couldn't find Gilmerton if I was paid.

Damn right. I get confused south of Princes Street. I couldn't find Gilmerton if I was paid.

I got very lost in Marchmont not that long ago.

Gilmerton, Colinton, Liberton, Craiglockhart, I've heard of these places, but they remain anathema to me. A mystery and enigma.

I note that you do not admit to being in that age bracket. :)

Sixties kid!

Away and lie in yer pish.

60's my arse.

Great book,

I grew up with Bowie as I know him and I still can't get used to calling him Andy....so I wont!

I loved reading the book found it a bit weird reading bits that I was mentioned and had forgotten most of the things that had happened, christ knows Bowie must have had to dig deep to remember them. The stories of Towzer torturing Bowie made me laugh........I was in that feckin tent!!

The Hearts content is excellent, the 1998 cup final stories brought it all flooding back, still on of the best days of my life!!

Good luck to Bowie, top bloke who deserves everything he gets, It was great to see him and catch up last week!!

10/10 from me!!

It would be difficult for me to review this book without mentioning Nick Hornsby so I didn't even bother. In 1992 Fever pitch kick started a whole sub genre of autobiographies of normal guys who intertwine the narratives of their life story with the rising and falling fortunes of their favourite football team. It's a cunning device for an autobiographer whose life isn't intrinsically of public interest to drag the readers' interest in to a story that might otherwise lack the requisite glamour. This is however a decidedly different story. Hornsby left school to study at Cambridge, here our protagonist grows up in a housing scheme and drops out of school to become a cleaner in a petrol station.

There would be a risk in telling this story of the write falling into morose "times were hard" miserablism with tales of parental break up, a bullying older brother and growing up somewhere so grim that dreams had numbers in the Argos catalogue. It's fortunate indeed that Heart's fantastic derby record through are there to add brighter notes to the narrative through the 1980s that combined with liberal doses of self deprecating humour and the fact that, after hitting the nadir in the petrol station, the story is on a generally upward trajectory make the book entertaining rather than worthy, and besides the author points out their scheme was nowhere near as bad as the next one along.

The fact that this upwards trajectory only leads to a house in a nicer suburb with a lovely wife and daughter gives this book a slightly strange feeling. Typical biographical subjects will generally have stories that lead to at least one of Fame, fortune, high political office, serious criminal charges, financial ruin, choking to death on their own vomit, war crimes or getting shot by Mark Chapman. Andrew Henry Bowie has done none of these things although he did get lifted for being too drunk at the football once. The appeal of his story lies in it's very normalness.

We relate to the story precisely because the experiences are not too different from our own and that is where it becomes even more difficult to be objective. For a reader like myself (Male, from Edinburgh, Hearts supporter, about the same age) the book is full of nostalgic triggers only the things that are being remembered are being remembered from a different angle. I checked up on a map and I grew up precisely the same distance from Tynecastle but in exactly opposite direction and reading through this book was like a weird looking glass version of my own memories passed through the distorting lens of Heart of Midlothian Football Club. With so much being familiar but somehow inverted, If I were unfortunate enough to follow Hibs then the effect would be complete.

Edinburgh, as many writers point out, is a city where hugely different neighbourhoods lie in close proximity and what made the book work for me is that while some parts of it were set very much in the Edinburgh I grew up in, others might as well have been set on mars. As a youngster I'd sometimes wondered what I would find if I'd ever turned right at the end of McLeod Street as opposed to left I now have some idea what was there. This detachment is however set off against all sorts of common experiences

Some memories are specific to Hearts; Albert Kidd, Wayne Foster, The Cup Finals etc. some are specific to our age group; Break Dancing and Adam Ant being brilliant (Curiously he never mentions Spangles) others are universal; sibling rivalry, moving up to the big school, getting drunk, falling in love. The book will undoubtedly be enjoyable for thirty-something hearts supporters and I'd have no hesitation in recommending it to them.

What is harder to figure out is whether this book would work for readers outside that, somewhat narrow, target audience. The question I have to ask myself is whether I'd still have enjoyed the story if it was called "Two miles to Tannadice"

After some consideration I reckon it would still have worked for me, just not quite so well.

I've obviously made a James Hunt of the pre-order so went out and bought it during my lunch break today.

Enjoyed the first 6 chapters so far.

Kalamazoo Jambo

A very enjoyable read. Andy does a fine, humorous and brutally honest job of describing the ups and downs of his life so far, some Hearts-related, and some not.

I actually found the non-Hearts stories every bit as interesting as the tales of following the Jambos. I think this is because they provided me with a very different take on growing up in Edinburgh, compared to my own experiences, despite our similar ages (I was born a year and a bit earlier than Andy). The Hearts content, on the other hand, tended to be stuff that I had already lived and breathed myself. I did, however, survive page 55 :P

Nice work, Andy!

I enjoyed it right up until the bit about Neil MacFarlane being "dull" :mad: It drops down to four stars because of that. I'll be writing an angry review on Amazon, just you wait.

"Dull". :mad:

Managed to read some more of the book during my lunchbreak today.

Reached the part about BB starting at Tynecastle High and can actually remember the breakdancing incident. We were in the shed at the entrance on the Robertson Avenue side when we saw 4 or 5 numpties walking past with a big bit of lino and thought "WTF?".

Not proud to admit that I was part of the baying mob, but it certainly wasn't me who punched him in the melee :biggrin:

Thouroughly enjoying it so far.

chester copperpot
Managed to read some more of the book during my lunchbreak today.

Reached the part about BB starting at Tynecastle High and can actually remember the breakdancing incident. We were in the shed at the entrance on the Robertson Avenue side when we saw 4 or 5 numpties walking past with a big bit of lino and thought "WTF?".

Not proud to admit that I was part of the baying mob, but it certainly wasn't me who punched him in the melee :biggrin:

Thouroughly enjoying it so far.

Haha, you should've. ;)

Haha, you should've. ;)

The wee bugger was too quick for me.

All that training he used to get running away from Towzer :runaway:

It would be difficult for me to review this book without mentioning Nick Hornsby so I didn't even bother. In 1992 Fever pitch kick started a whole sub genre of autobiographies of normal guys who intertwine the narratives of their life story with the rising and falling fortunes of their favourite football team. It's a cunning device for an autobiographer whose life isn't intrinsically of public interest to drag the readers' interest in to a story that might otherwise lack the requisite glamour. This is however a decidedly different story. Hornsby left school to study at Cambridge, here our protagonist grows up in a housing scheme and drops out of school to become a cleaner in a petrol station.

There would be a risk in telling this story of the write falling into morose "times were hard" miserablism with tales of parental break up, a bullying older brother and growing up somewhere so grim that dreams had numbers in the Argos catalogue. It's fortunate indeed that Heart's fantastic derby record through are there to add brighter notes to the narrative through the 1980s that combined with liberal doses of self deprecating humour and the fact that, after hitting the nadir in the petrol station, the story is on a generally upward trajectory make the book entertaining rather than worthy, and besides the author points out their scheme was nowhere near as bad as the next one along.

The fact that this upwards trajectory only leads to a house in a nicer suburb with a lovely wife and daughter gives this book a slightly strange feeling. Typical biographical subjects will generally have stories that lead to at least one of Fame, fortune, high political office, serious criminal charges, financial ruin, choking to death on their own vomit, war crimes or getting shot by Mark Chapman. Andrew Henry Bowie has done none of these things although he did get lifted for being too drunk at the football once. The appeal of his story lies in it's very normalness.

We relate to the story precisely because the experiences are not too different from our own and that is where it becomes even more difficult to be objective. For a reader like myself (Male, from Edinburgh, Hearts supporter, about the same age) the book is full of nostalgic triggers only the things that are being remembered are being remembered from a different angle. I checked up on a map and I grew up precisely the same distance from Tynecastle but in exactly opposite direction and reading through this book was like a weird looking glass version of my own memories passed through the distorting lens of Heart of Midlothian Football Club. With so much being familiar but somehow inverted, If I were unfortunate enough to follow Hibs then the effect would be complete.

Edinburgh, as many writers point out, is a city where hugely different neighbourhoods lie in close proximity and what made the book work for me is that while some parts of it were set very much in the Edinburgh I grew up in, others might as well have been set on mars. As a youngster I'd sometimes wondered what I would find if I'd ever turned right at the end of McLeod Street as opposed to left I now have some idea what was there. This detachment is however set off against all sorts of common experiences

Some memories are specific to Hearts; Albert Kidd, Wayne Foster, The Cup Finals etc. some are specific to our age group; Break Dancing and Adam Ant being brilliant (Curiously he never mentions Spangles) others are universal; sibling rivalry, moving up to the big school, getting drunk, falling in love. The book will undoubtedly be enjoyable for thirty-something hearts supporters and I'd have no hesitation in recommending it to them.

What is harder to figure out is whether this book would work for readers outside that, somewhat narrow, target audience. The question I have to ask myself is whether I'd still have enjoyed the story if it was called "Two miles to Tannadice"

After some consideration I reckon it would still have worked for me, just not quite so well.

Unfortunately, you did and its Hornby.

Say What Again

I haven't read the book but I've just been talking to an old boy who mentioned to me that his daughter bought him it.

He knows nothing of JKB and I didn't offer any information otherwise.

His thoughts on the book were, that it had a very exclusive target audience and that 'he was surprised it was published'. A lot of it was 'about the guys life' and 'he wasn't interested in that'.

He read it and gave it away.

Oh, he also reckoned that 'the guy goes on about being from an estate yet him and his brother have smart tracksuits on in the cover picture'

As I said, a JKB outsiders view, not mine - as I haven't read it yet.

those tracksuits fell off the back of a lorry.

And the trainers nicked out thomsons.

Hope that helps.

;)

I haven't read the book but I've just been talking to an old boy who mentioned to me that his daughter bought him it.

He knows nothing of JKB and I didn't offer any information otherwise.

His thoughts on the book were, that it had a very exclusive target audience and that 'he was surprised it was published'. A lot of it was 'about the guys life' and 'he wasn't interested in that'.

He read it and gave it away.

Oh, he also reckoned that 'the guy goes on about being from an estate yet him and his brother have smart tracksuits on in the cover picture'

As I said, a JKB outsiders view, not mine - as I haven't read it yet.

That's what I thought it would be like...Great Read if you know people,Nae point reading it if you don't! Seems to be everybody saying the Book is Great/Fantastic/Relevent are all his mates!!

I'll wait for the Film...:cool:

Say What Again
That's what I thought it would be like...Great Read if you know people,Nae point reading it if you don't! Seems to be everybody saying the Book is Great/Fantastic/Relevent are all his mates!!

You're not allow to say that on this thread :eek::eek::eek:

:rolleyes:

chester copperpot

Well i'm not in the book, and only know a few of the people mentioned due to meeting them through KB. The thing that I enjoy is the experience of following hearts. The other non HSBC stuff ties in with what I went through as a boy, you dont actually need to know the characters to enjoy those parts mate.

I don`t know BB but going by some of the posts the book sounds like something that`ll certainly interest me, and not just because it`s Hearts related.

Being a 1974 born, Calders brought up Hearts fan i`m sure i`ll find something interesting in it!

Archived