If we could sign 1 player before Saturday, who would you choose and why??

Walter Bishop

Ideally - Riordan.

Realistically - I would take the Brazillian attacking midfielder Ledesma from Kaunas. By all accounts he caused der Hun all sorts of problems last Wednesday when only half-fit. According to my blue nosed colleague here who was at the game, he was head and shoulders above the rest of the Kaunas players.

Also agree with previous poster who suggested Lovell.

I watched the game on Rangers tv the following day, he looked like he had plenty ability. But he'd never get a work permit in a month of Sundays.

Jambo1956usa
Lee Miller, the only player who has played for us recently who scored goals and who would still bag 15+ goals on current form playing for Hearts.

agree 100% .... I tipped LEE MILLER aboout a week ago, he would be perfect and an ideal target/hold-up man for midfield too ..... GR8 Shout , matey

:107years::dribble:

I watched the game on Rangers tv the following day, he looked like he had plenty ability. But he'd never get a work permit in a month of Sundays.

You never know he might have one of them Portugese passports that they seem to get on a large scale.

shaun.lawson
Didn't Leeds turn down ?2 Million for him from a Championship club last year? Did you read the first post on this thread? ;)

Even so, Leeds had a few decent players (Richardson, Butler, the left midfielder Johnson?) and they are a club that I would seriously look at as they will struggle to come up again this year under McAllister IMO.

As for the topic of the thread, if I was choosing, it would be ratboy by a distance. Ignoring the op (just a little :) ) players that I would be interested in if it were up to me would be

Arfield

Barr

Porter

Dorman

Mark Brown

O'Dea

Off the top of my head.

Leeds'll win League 1, no problem! They'll still lose players before the end of August, though: and it's that kind of club we should be targeting for players if we're hard up ourselves. But bearing in mind we're nowhere near able to afford Beckford anyway, then I'd have to agree on Riordan, and of the players you've mentioned, Porter's the one that jumps out at me... but would we be able to get him?

Era Macaroons
Batfink, aka Ratboy.

Rio de Jamberino

Get im in maroon, pronto.

:Hearts Man spotrun:

alwaysthereinspirit

Barry Ferguson. Just to see if he's still "world class" ;) in a maroon shirt in the eyes of the Scottish media.

Clinton Morrison. According to BBC gossip Coventry are going to sign him on a bosman...he'd rattle them in up here!

Leeds'll win League 1, no problem! They'll still lose players before the end of August, though: and it's that kind of club we should be targeting for players if we're hard up ourselves. But bearing in mind we're nowhere near able to afford Beckford anyway, then I'd have to agree on Riordan, and of the players you've mentioned, Porter's the one that jumps out at me... but would we be able to get him?

Re Leeds, Do you remember the name of the young central midfielder they have, driving forward kind of player that is highly thought of? Also, what is your opinion on the players I have highlighted?

Hoping that you would have a greater insight due to locale.

As for Porter, I reckon an offer similar to the sort of offer we are discussing for Riordan (half a mill) would give them a real decision to make. FWIW, I reckon we would get Barr and Arfield for similar fees, O'Dea would be on loan with a view to a permanent deal, Brown would be for a relatively minimal fee. Dorman would be for a bag of cheesy wotsits and a bottle of blue moon lemonade.

Don't you mean Gail Porter? better chance getting her I think..

That isn't saying much, there was a time that the majority of Portobello Rugby club had had her. ;)

Or was it Musselburgh?

That isn't saying much, there was a time that the majority of Portobello Rugby club had had her. ;)

Or was it Musselburgh?

I take it she is a hibby then.:)

I take it she is a hibby then.:)

I don't know for sure but very possibly. What she definitely wasn't was fussy. ;)

I don't know for sure but very possibly. What she definitely wasn't was fussy. ;)

If she liked it up the arse she is a hibby.There all the same.:eek:

Id Take ratboy

hes a proven spl goalscorer and imagine him runing out of the easter road tunnel with a maroon top on :)

:107years:

I long for the days when Leigh Jenkinson rampaged down the wing. Was gutted when he left, but JJ knew how to take my mind off it and soon after signed Twaddle. The sight of Joe Hamill and Steven Boyack displaying trick after trick and leaving fullbacks in a crumpled heap crying for their Mum will linger long in my memory.

Don't even get me started to hankering back for those halcyon days of David Hagen and Allan Preston...it really was better years ago than the garbage we must put up with today.

Levein signed Twaddle

Gow, Bothroyd & Morrison are good shouts. We should be trying to get an out of favour premiership striker or a young striker from a premiership club on loan. No idea if these guys are involved in their clubs first team plans:

O'Donovan from Sunderland?

Dong from Man Utd? (Not sure if he's ny good tbh!)

Ched Evans or Daniel Sturridge from Man City?

What about Arsenal? Have they got any promising strikers with not much chance of getting a game this season?

You gotta think about what the referee wants to see, not just who we want to play.

I mean, discipline is paramount this season.

Hence, with Gail Porter's history at Porty RFC, there was constant infringement of the rules 'cos they were handling in her ruck.

Deo.

$ilvery_Moon

James Coppinger or Richie Wellens from Doncaster. We need creativity in the middle of the park.

Otherwise Riordan would be a good shout.

Jamie Cureton.

He was a free scoring forward for Colchester 2 seasons ago - then transfer to Norwich - as far as I can see he did not feature often - no idea who he is currently with.

He's still at Norwich - but too old, I suspect.

32 and very much still part of Norwich's plans. He played nearly every game last season. I'm a big fan of his. Very good player.

Re Leeds, Do you remember the name of the young central midfielder they have, driving forward kind of player that is highly thought of? Also, what is your opinion on the players I have highlighted?

The best midfielder at Leeds is David Prutton. Long haired guy. Is it him you're thinking of? Good player.

Captain Canada

Chris Killen, Paul Dickov or Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink - all have good experience and would give us more of a presence up front - I know Dickov is not the tallest but his battling qualities and ability to win free kicks would be invaluable. Killen would probably score the most goals out of those 3

Charlie-Brown

Don Cowie (Inverness Caley Thistle) scored 9 goals from midfield in his debut SPL season in what was quite a poor ICT team last term, currently refusing to commit to a new contract. :)

Chris Killen, Paul Dickov or Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink - all have good experience and would give us more of a presence up front - I know Dickov is not the tallest but his battling qualities and ability to win free kicks would be invaluable. Killen would probably score the most goals out of those 3

Chris killen and jimmy floyd hasselbaink could be worth a shot, killen is a fast player who could bang in a good few a season.. Floyd hasselbaink is a very experienced and could be a usefull player to have..

Chris Killen.

Target man, and somebody that could form a useful partnership with Gary Glen (although it won't be on Saturday as Glen is suspended)

Michael Mifsud

Mifsud would be great but there's no way we could afford him, Bristol were about to sign him last week for ?1.5M before they pulled out.

Morrison and Hasselbaink would score shedloads but wages would be the big issue there.

It does look like Ratboy would be the more affordable option, according to todays Record he's on ?6k basic with ?3k appearance (lol!) top-up. Still not sure if I want such a horrible wee ned at our club but part of me would love to see him scoring for us against Hibs, how funny would that be!

Just had a quick look on wikipedia at unattched players - Ian Harte and Grzegorz Szamotulski would be good Bosman signings.

You shouldn't listen to hearsay boys. :nono: And it was Porty. ;)

You shouldn't listen to hearsay boys. :nono: And it was Porty. ;)

It's amazing the stories that Rugby players will share. ;)

I won't even start discussing what I have heard about Kirsty Young! :eek:

shaun.lawson
Did Darren Huckerby sign for anyone yet ?

Yes: he's moved to MLS. So Norfolkshire soccer legend Hucks has been wowing them all in the States! Well, sort of... :wacko:

Did Darren Huckerby sign for anyone yet ?

Huckerby is at San Jose Earthquakes in the MLS and is already banging in the goals, scored a couple at the weekend. He would have been a quality signing even at 32.

Chris Iwelumo would have done a job for us - I reckon he'd have came north of the border too, to improve his Scotland chance. That ship has sailed though.

shaun.lawson

32 and very much still part of Norwich's plans. He played nearly every game last season. I'm a big fan of his. Very good player.

Shush! It's a big secret! I want Hearts to do well, but don't want Norwich to end up in League One as a result. Shush... :)

Yes: he's moved to MLS. So Norfolkshire soccer legend Hucks has been wowing them all in the States! Well, sort of... :wacko:

Booooooooooooooooooooooo.

shaun.lawson

Ched Evans from Man City?

Very good call. I think he's part of Sparky's plans for this season, though.

shaun.lawson
Booooooooooooooooooooooo.

Have you watched the clip I posted? It's a hoot!

Huckerby refused to move to another Championship club, as (bless him) he wasn't prepared to play against Norwich; and League One isn't good enough for him. So it was always a case of Celtic or the MLS: Strachan didn't make a move for him, so off he went. Unbelievably underrated player in my opinion, and top bloke too - who, and I know this'll get me pelters, should've played for England at some stage. And I thought that before he joined Norwich too.

shaun.lawson

Hoping that you would have a greater insight due to locale.

As for Porter, I reckon an offer similar to the sort of offer we are discussing for Riordan (half a mill) would give them a real decision to make. FWIW, I reckon we would get Barr and Arfield for similar fees, O'Dea would be on loan with a view to a permanent deal, Brown would be for a relatively minimal fee. Dorman would be for a bag of cheesy wotsits and a bottle of blue moon lemonade.

All the players you've suggested would be decent choices IMO - but I suspect we'd have a lot better chance of getting Barr or Arfield than Porter, as Falkirk to Hearts is a step up, whereas as long as Motherwell are in Europe, the same can't be said for a move from them. And in all honesty, I can't see us forking out even half a mil for a fee at present: I suspect it's 2-300K tops.

As for Leeds: sorry, my knowledge doesn't really extend to League One! What I do know, though, is there was a lot of talk throughout the first half of last season that they were nowhere near as good as their results at the time suggested, and were benefiting from all kinds of weird refereeing decisions. This view was borne out as they started to tread water mid-season, before improving again somewhat under Gary Mac. What this means for the individuals concerned though, I dunno: Beckford's the only Leeds player I know much about, and even that's mainly because he moved there from Wealdstone, the non-league side I've mentioned, who'll be due a very nice little windfall when he's sold on.

Have you watched the clip I posted? It's a hoot!

I hadn't, but I have now.

1 word...... Cringeworthy.

He could have done a job for us though.

shaun.lawson
I hadn't, but I have now.

1 word...... Cringeworthy.

He could have done a job for us though.

He certainly could've done, Sir: he certainly could. :sad:

Billy sharp....Sheff Utd

couldn't get game under robson........a goal poacher who will score goals in and around box.

Billy sharp....Sheff Utd

couldn't get game under robson........a goal poacher who will score goals in and around box.

Good shout.

He did cost ?3 Million IIRC, if that is the case then they would be looking for a seven figure sum in return.

Spotted on SSN - Geoff Horsfield - free but on trial with a club. Best years behind him but would do a job as a target man?

shaun.lawson
That video is dreadful.

Absoutely dreadful.

Oh, indeed. It's almost reassuring in a way though: when it comes to football, Americans still don't get it and probably never will...

Meanwhile, although the goal on the video against Birmingham was indeed special, and certainly the best he ever scored for us, this was the goal the announcer actually meant. Terrible picture quality, but hopefully people can at least get the gist of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BX4-uif7g7g&feature=related

And if I'm honest, I think that goal probably does rank in the top 100 ever scored. It was also the day when Man Utd showed their first real signs in a full three seasons of being vulnerable: we'd all got so used to their complete dominance, and they were out in front again at the time of that game - but after losing Roy Keane to injury, something wasn't quite right, and what Huckerby started, others would manage to do later that season too.

Archived