record shop

Narrative Arc

Narrative Arc

there was another thread on here about what was the first record bought. On the same subject. Can anyone remember which record shop they bought it from? Mines was HMV in St James centre.

another thing. Is it possible to have a permanent thread for people to post there favourite goals from youtube. Could we have a constant compilation of Hearts goals or is there some sort of copyright law that prevents this?

Doctor FinnBarr
there was another thread on here about what was the first record bought. On the same subject. Can anyone remember which record shop they bought it from? Mines was HMV in St James centre.

another thing. Is it possible to have a permanent thread for people to post there favourite goals from youtube. Could we have a constant compilation of Hearts goals or is there some sort of copyright law that prevents this?

The Music Box in Bathgate.

:)

Narrative Arc
The Music Box in Bathgate.

as i said mines was HMV in st James Centre. Is it still there? if so, is this the oldest record shop in Edinburgh?

Doctor FinnBarr
BJ, when was that shop there??... I can't remember it at all.

Easily 20 years ago, maybe longer. It was in Whitburn Road in what is now an amusement arcade.

Benny Factor
Easily 20 years ago, maybe longer. It was in Whitburn Road in what is now an amusement arcade.

Before my time then. :P

It would definately have been there when i was younger, but i have trouble remembering 20 minutes ago, never mind 20 years. :)

Doctor FinnBarr
Before my time then. :P

It would definately have been there when i was younger, but i have trouble remembering 20 minutes ago, never mind 20 years. :)

It was owned by somebody sort of half famous on the Scottish Country music scene and they had another shop of the same name in Motherwell I think. Useless info I know but there you go!

:confused:

davemclaren

Spence's in Bonnyrigg or Paton's in Dalkeith were my early teenage haunts until I discovered Bruces....it was like a different world and didn't sell hoovers or tellys. :P

Bandparts, fit o' the walk.

Bow Wow Wow, I Want Candy, I never contributed to the other thread.

Actually I'm not convinced that that was the first single I bought. I bought three singles that were all in the charts around July '82, Eye of the Tiger by Survivor, Arthur Daley 'e's Alright by The Firm and the Bow Wow Wow track. It may be staring at the naked image of Annabella Lwin on the cover at the tender age of 10 (me, not her, she had turned 16 by this time) has left me confused. I do remember BluTacking it to my bedroom wall though...

Narrative Arc
Spence's in Bonnyrigg or Paton's in Dalkeith were my early teenage haunts until I discovered Bruces....it was like a different world and didn't sell hoovers or tellys. :P

Paton's. was that the one at the bus station? if so that was my second. though on the same day. Bought 'Peaches' by The Stranglers and 'Like Clockwork' by the Boomtown Rats in HMV. On the way home to Dalkeith, popped in there and bought Andy Cameron's 'we're on the way with aly's army' Blew my cool start in 6 bus stops.

Can't remember what I bought but it was either in Bandparts at Elm Row or Ards in Junction St. Probably the latter.

davemclaren
Paton's. was that the one at the bus station? if so that was my second. though on the same day. Bought 'Peaches' by The Stranglers and 'Like Clockwork' by the Boomtown Rats in HMV. On the way home to Dalkeith, popped in there and bought Andy Cameron's 'we're on the way with aly's army' Blew my cool start in 6 bus stops.

The one at the bus station was later and was something else - it was a proper record shop. :rolleyes: Paton's used to be on Dalkeith High Street ( opposite Edinburgh Road ) and was an electrical shop.

Benny Factor

Anyone remember Avalanche Records?

Both shops were a minefield of rarities... still got a few things i picked up in there that are worth a fortune now.

Narrative Arc
The one at the bus station was later and was something else - it was a proper record shop. :rolleyes: Paton's used to be on Dalkeith High Street ( opposite Edinburgh Road ) and was an electrical shop.

Ta you've just made me feel young. I'm from dalkeith and i can't remember another record shop there. I'm 41. Has my memory just gone? i can remember crowds gathering outside the one at the bus station and all staring at first The Exploited album when it came out. It was a big event. lol

davemclaren
Ta you've just made me feel young. I'm from dalkeith and i can't remember another record shop there. I'm 41. Has my memory just gone? i can remember crowds gathering outside the one at the bus station and all staring at first The Exploited album when it came out. It was a big event. lol

I reckon Paton's closed about 1973 or something like that. :)

ArmiyaRomanova

Erm.... It's still going - or at least the Cockburn Street branch is - the others have all been closed down.

And speaking of Cockburn Street, anyone remember Hot Licks there in the 70s? First record shop I ever worked in (numerous since).

Narrative Arc
I reckon Paton's closed about 1973 or something like that. :)

Phew! Thought i was losing the memory already. Thanks..

Narrative Arc

Both shops were a minefield of rarities... still got a few things i picked up in there that are worth a fortune now.

If i remember right, i think Avalanche even started a record label. Bought a 12 inch by a band. Can't remeber their name but i think it was released on Avalanche's own label. Anyone remember this? Can also remember the guy who own the shop being pretty honest if a record was good or bad. I remember going to buy the Wedding Present's Bulgarian Blues album (it was something like that) and asking him if was anygood. told me not to waste my money. nheard it later and he was right. Nice guy.

Benny Factor
Erm.... It's still going - or at least the Cockburn Street branch is - the others have all been closed down.

And speaking of Cockburn Street, anyone remember Hot Licks there in the 70s? First record shop I ever worked in (numerous since).

The shops i remember weren't in Cockburn Street, mate.

One was just up from the Grassmarket... and the other was up past Clerk Street.

Narrative Arc
Think mine was at the record exchage in Newington...

is the record exchange the oldest record shop in edinburgh? it must be either that of HMV

davemclaren
is the record exchange the oldest record shop in edinburgh? it must be either that of HMV

Is it still open? :eek:

I P Knightley
Pheonix at the Tron was no bad.

That was my regular haunt in the late '70s.

May not have been where I got my first single (does "Sweet Inspirations" in Morrisson St. sound familiar to anyone?) but it was where I bought Quadrophenia.

Bought my first record in a record shop on Portobello High Street, not there now, think it was near Pop-Inn/ BBQ chippy. (This was 1980 ish)

Were you from Bathgate?

:confused:

No need to insult me;)

No I was originally from that quaint place near the sea called Muirhouse. I moved upmarket to Craigshill in 1969. There weren't any record shops in the Mall, so we had to travel to the metropolis of Bathgate.

My old man worked at BMC/Leyland for years though.

If i remember right, i think Avalanche even started a record label. Bought a 12 inch by a band. Can't remeber their name but i think it was released on Avalanche's own label. Anyone remember this? Can also remember the guy who own the shop being pretty honest if a record was good or bad. I remember going to buy the Wedding Present's Bulgarian Blues album (it was something like that) and asking him if was anygood. told me not to waste my money. nheard it later and he was right. Nice guy.

Sure his name was Kevin, and the album woud have been Ukranian folk songs,

Has anyone else been ripped off buy vinyl villians.

Do you remember when Littlewoods had a record dept?

Chip Buttie

Trax on Gorgie Road.

Incidentally, does anyone remember the name of the record shop on Dalry Road, it was opposite the graveyard.

Doctor FinnBarr
No need to insult me;)No I was originally from that quaint place near the sea called Muirhouse.* I moved upmarket to Craigshill in 1969.* There weren't any record shops in the Mall, so we had to travel to the metropolis of Bathgate.My old man worked at BMC/Leyland for years though.[/quote]Mine as well, thats how we ended up here!;)

I P Knightley
Trax on Gorgie Road.

Incidentally, does anyone remember the name of the record shop on Dalry Road, it was opposite the graveyard.

When abouts are we talking?

I don't remember there being one there & that's where I used to get on the bus to school for 5/6 years.

portobellojambo1

Cannot remember, but suspect it would have been the Record Exchange at Newington, or Bandparts at Top of Leith Walk (it was a long, long time ago)

Chip Buttie
When abouts are we talking?

I don't remember there being one there & that's where I used to get on the bus to school for 5/6 years.

Roughly thirty year ago, mate.

The record shop was roughly where the bus stop is now. But the bus stop wasn't there then, it was further along the road beside the church.:confused:

Doctor FinnBarr
I suspect half of West Lothian worked there at one time

In the loosest sense of the word.

:rolleyes:

Benny Factor
No need to insult me;)

No I was originally from that quaint place near the sea called Muirhouse. I moved upmarket to Craigshill in 1969. There weren't any record shops in the Mall, so we had to travel to the metropolis of Bathgate.

My old man worked at BMC/Leyland for years though.

Never ever thought i'd hear Craigshill and "upmarket" in the same sentence. :P

Doctor FinnBarr

Crazyhill more like!

:dribble:

Jamie_the_Jambo

His name was indeed Kevin. He released records by The Shop Assistants and IIRC Jesse Garon & The Desperadoes. Mind you half of Jesse Garon worked in his stores !!

My first store was Sweet Inspiration in Corstorphine Rd. Next to where Oddbins was/is. The had an arcade of sorts through the back of the shop with space invaders etc. My first record was Mull of Kintyre as they had sold out Allys Tarten Army. I also got Fulham Fallout by the Lurkers there.

Jamie

Narrative Arc
Sure his name was Kevin, and the album woud have been Ukranian folk songs,

Has anyone else been ripped off buy vinyl villians.

Do you remember when Littlewoods had a record dept?

Thats the album. Was it not a 10 inch?

You've obviously never visited Muirhouse;)

boy_in_maroon
Bought my first record in a record shop on Portobello High Street, not there now, think it was near Pop-Inn/ BBQ chippy. (This was 1980 ish)

that was called Allans that is where i got my first 45

What was the name of the record shop in Raeburn Place in the 70's ?

And what was the one called in Thistle Street around the same time?

Almost next door to Marrs Bar.

Ards in junction street for me, Virginia Plain, anyone know if Ards is still there. The two Bandparts in Antigua Street and Leith Walk were favourites also.

grumpyjambo
And what was the one called in Thistle Street around the same time?

Almost next door to Marrs Bar.

Forgot about that one, cannae mind its name though.

Archived