What happened to the new signings?

bighalders

Clerry Jambo
But the Season starts on 9th August.

Surely that is the most important date ?

yes it would be great DH to get players in before next Saturday but 31st August is THEE date,bottom line.

Francis Albert
It was the absence of a manager over the preceding period that allowed the squad to get into the state it's currently in. Lacking any strikers. Lacking any leaders. Lacking any shape or organistation. Lacking any fight or spirit.

We've done the first key thing we had to do in order to rectify the situation. Brought in a manager, who appears to know what he is doing.

He should be able to get a bit of shape and organisation to the team, regardless of players brought in. He might even manage to get a bit of team spirit going and get them fighting for each other.

But he'll still need to address the basic lack of leaders, and lack of strikers in our squad. That will require signings, highly preferably before the start of the season.

This has been the situation for a while. The date of the first game of the season has not moved. We know when we have to be ready. Without at least a couple of quality signings, we won't be IMO.

That's all very well and I don't disagree with much of it. But my comment was a response to your assertion that the current squad has shown it is not good enough even to get into the top six. But that squad got within a few points of the top six DESPITE the lack of management, and therefore team spirit, fighting and simple organisation that you have (rightly) repeatedly complained about. So I struggle to see, given the importance you place on the quality of management, how you can say that the squad has "shown it is not good enough" for the top six.

Of course top six in itself in't good enough and I agree we need to strrengthen the squad.

The Old Tolbooth
Good enough for a 3rd place finish. And no I dont do drugs!!

To be honest, comparing our squad to Dundee Utd's, I cant see us pipping them for 3rd spot if we make no signings, I can however (providing Csaba can get them going) see us beating the rest into 4th place, but it could be close.

Jambof3tornado
To be honest, comparing our squad to Dundee Utd's, I cant see us pipping them for 3rd spot if we make no signings, I can however (providing Csaba can get them going) see us beating the rest into 4th place, but it could be close.

Do you think the arabs are as strong this season as they were last. Levein is doing a great job with little funding but I just cant see how he can take them further.Only time will tell.:)

Imeantasong
That's all very well and I don't disagree with much of it. But my comment was a response to your assertion that the current squad has shown it is not good enough even to get into the top six. But that squad got within a few points of the top six DESPITE the lack of management, and therefore team spirit, fighting and simple organisation that you have (rightly) repeatedly complained about. So I struggle to see, given the importance you place on the quality of management, how you can say that the squad has "shown it is not good enough" for the top six.

Of course top six in itself in't good enough and I agree we need to strrengthen the squad.

Ah!

Is that the real current squad?

Or the squad before Vlad sold our only goalscorer with a few games to go?

south morocco

without any signings, the squad we have can perhaps make the top 6,we need more quality to even think about 3rd place,imo!

But the Season starts on 9th August.

Surely that is the most important date ?

We're preparing for a marathon, not a sprint, so no, 9th August is not the most important date. Some point in May 09 is. ;)

Fourcandles
without any signings, the squad we have can perhaps make the top 6,we need more quality to even think about 3rd place,imo!

IMO the truth lies somewere in the middle.

We have the overly pessimistic posters and the illogically optimistic '3rd placers'

This squad will typically lose at home to Motherwell then get a good away win at say Pitoddrie then a home draw with Hibs etc etc etc.

Slighly better than last year but still very overall a middle table team.

:cool:

Gimme an H...
Goalkeepers

Banks

McDonald

Basso

Right Backs

Neilson

Jason Thomson

Left Backs

Lee Wallace

Centre Backs

Berra

Zaliukis

Karipidis

Sives

Rapnik

Right Midfielders

Miko

Chesney

Beslija

Ivaskevicius

Left Midfielders

Driver

Ksanavicius

Centre Midfielders

Stewart

Palazuelos

Bruno

McGowan

Attacking Midfielders

Kingston

Forwards

Nade

Elliot

Mole

Makela

Glen

Stirkers

None

You're at the wind up eh??

Dont ever, EVER count him as a footballer again. EVER again.

Francis Albert
Ah!

Is that the real current squad?

Or the squad before Vlad sold our only goalscorer with a few games to go?

From another Lith dud to the difference, with no management, organisation and team spirit, between a top six place and a bottom six place. He's certainly come on since since Rangers signed him.

Imeantasong
From another Lith dud to the difference, with no management, organisation and team spirit, between a top six place and a bottom six place. He's certainly come on since since Rangers signed him.

Not really sure what you're saying there.

But he was the only guy scoring goals, and we sold him before losing the top 6 chance.

Francis Albert
Not really sure what you're saying there.

But he was the only guy scoring goals, and we sold him before losing the top 6 chance.

He may or may not have been the difference betwen top six and bottom six.

But I kind of got the impression somehow that JamboRobbo thought the lack of a manager mattered more.

Geoff Kilpatrick
That squad finished 8th, now minus Gordon, Bednar, Tall etc. We will finish 8th at best. Sorry if that bit of realism sticks in the craw of our Glasgow believe no matter what merchants

How many games did those 3 play for us last season?

Here's a clue

Gordon 0

Bednar 0

:rolleyes:

Guest JamboRobbo
He may or may not have been the difference betwen top six and bottom six.

But I kind of got the impression somehow that JamboRobbo thought the lack of a manager mattered more.

Well, I'm gonna stop wasting my time attempting debate with you now, as it's clear you're only making points for the purposes of petty points scoring against me, as opposed to wanting to talk constructively about HMFC.

Dirk Diggler
Well, I'm gonna stop wasting my time attempting debate with you now, as it's clear you're only making points for the purposes of petty points scoring against me, as opposed to wanting to talk constructively about HMFC.

And you've never done that?

I would agree with J3T in that, a couple of new faces aside, our squad is not too bad.

To give it a bit of perspective, other than the OF, which other team would you do a wholesale squad swap with?

I'd take any other teams strikers over ours

That squad has already proven it wasn't good enough even for top 6

But it's been proven the world over that the same squad of players can perform differently for different managers.

I still think we need some new players but who's to say Csaba can't get the current squad playing better than they did last season?

Guest JamboRobbo
But it's been proven the world over that the same squad of players can perform differently for different managers.

I still think we need some new players but who's to say Csaba can't get the current squad playing better than they did last season?

It's a fair point he might. I think we're in agreement that we need new signings if we want to get to 3rd.

Gigolo-Aunt
It's a fair point he might. I think we're in agreement that we need new signings if we want to get to 3rd.

I think we do as well, JR.

I liked this interview again though. VR and Csaba (at this point) seem to have a good relationship - seems to be good communication between the two.

However, they do need to start pushing forward with names they have on their list (who's to say they are not in the process of doing this though)

Greedy_Jambo

Todays game will be the first time ive seen hearts play this season and im looking forward to seeing what progress Csaba has made with last seasons duds (if any). But i don't expect to be proven wrong on my opinion that we need a hand full of new players in.

Francis Albert

Sorry I missed the attempt to debate with me, for example by a response to post 52.

Dont ever, EVER count him as a footballer again. EVER again.

There's quite a few more in that squad that you could've highlighted!! I put him in to prove a point, that this squad just ain't good enough to finish 3rd.

I do apologise though ;)

Archived