Best piece of play by non-Hearts player at Tynie?

this_is_my_story

this_is_my_story

Just mentioned Hugh Burns on another thread (if anyone remembers him!), and it got me thinking about an amazing bit of skill at Tynie.

Circa 1988, vs Rangers, they had not long signed Mark Walters. Goram hits a long clearance towards the shed, then Walters, running slightly at an angle towards the touchline, takes the ball down with the inside of his right foot on the half volley and, in a sort of Cruyff turn movement, knocks it towards the bye-line and skins Burns stupid. Burns is probably still looking for him!

I remember that.

Nearly dropped my Rankine's bag.

Classic. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Best piece of non-Hearts skill I've seen was Goram's performance for the Leithers when he saved them from an absolute tanking. Some of the saves he made that day were simply incredible. Even the most rabid of us in the Shed were impressed by his display.

Surely the best skill ever witnessed at Tynie was Neil Lennons pinpoint accurate pass to Roman Bednar

Sorry to say cos he played for them, but Di Canio was a joy to watch sometimes. Remember one game in particular when he ripped the pash for 90 mins

Gigolo-Aunt

Laudrup and Di Canio were always awsome players to watch - Real class acts.

Remember one game at Tynecastle when Michael Mols put on a display of utter ruthlessness (sp) and class in his finishing. It was before his bad injury against Bayern - was not the same sharp player when he returned after that.

this_is_my_story

Best piece of non-Hearts skill I've seen was Goram's performance for the Leithers when he saved them from an absolute tanking. Some of the saves he made that day were simply incredible. Even the most rabid of us in the Shed were impressed by his display.

Aye, the fat lump saved them from a pasting from us on a right few occasions.

Paulie Walnut

Remember one game at Tynecastle when Michael Mols put on a display of utter ruthlessness (sp) and class in his finishing. It was before his bad injury against Bayern - was not the same sharp player when he returned after that.

Agree with the Michael Mols display. I think Larsson's perfect hattrick also rates up there

Paisley Jambo

Apart from Lennon's wizardry, Davie Cooper scored an equalising goal for Rangers in October 1986 when he beat four players and finished from an acute angle.

A class effort.

Apart from Lennon's wizardry, Davie Cooper scored an equalising goal for Rangers in October 1986 when he beat four players and finished from an acute angle.

A class effort.

Did that game end 1-1? If so I was there, I was 6 at the time! :)

It has been mentioned on here many,many times but he was amazing that day.He has to "win" this thread on the grounds that i'm struggling to remember an opposing player getting a standing ovation from the home support.(Even though we were already standing!:wacko:)

It has been mentioned on here many,many times but he was amazing that day.He has to "win" this thread on the grounds that i'm struggling to remember an opposing player getting a standing ovation from the home support.(Even though we were already standing!:wacko:)

Did he not get the man of the match award from the stadium announcer?

Stupid Sexy Flanders

A Stefan Klos save from a Gary McSwegan header. McSwegan has never previously or since, caught a header like that in his life, Klos managed to stop the ball on the line, after it had already gone past him! I was already up celebrating and couldn't believe he'd stopped it.

The Old Tolbooth

A class effort.

That's the piece of play that comes into my head every time when asked this question, the guy was simply awesome to watch.

I was at the game where Goram turned in that particular performance, and it'll be tough to beat.

The goal scored by Bordeaux to (I think) level our tie against them was a superb piece of individual skill too.

Just mentioned Hugh Burns on another thread (if anyone remembers him!), and it got me thinking about an amazing bit of skill at Tynie.

Circa 1988, vs Rangers, they had not long signed Mark Walters. Goram hits a long clearance towards the shed, then Walters, running slightly at an angle towards the touchline, takes the ball down with the inside of his right foot on the half volley and, in a sort of Cruyff turn movement, knocks it towards the bye-line and skins Burns stupid. Burns is probably still looking for him!

Good post. I remember that as if it was yesterday.

I also thought Kilmarnock scored a superb goal against us last season with an absolutely class move.

One of those goals you simply can't defend.

I'm certain it was Walter Kidd he skinned with that move. When I read the title of the thread, this was the first thing that came to mind - bit of class from Walters.

I recall the Goram display as well. Having said that I have stood at the end of a few derbies clapping the hobo goalie off the pitch!

Imeantasong

I think we won the game in question 3-1.

He made a few world class saves.

A few great ones.

The rest were merely very good.

And a fans tribute:

The best performance I've seen of an opposition synchronised sit down was the away support when we came from 4-2 down in injury time to draw 4-4 in the derby a few years back.

I was in section G right beside them. The biggest quickest mood turn I've ever seen.

Yup i remember that, i even applauded him at the end of the game, one of the best goalkeeping performances i have seen as you say it would have been a tanking if not for him.

Gigolo-Aunt

He may be an ex Hobo, but Russell Latapy's performances in recent seasons at Tynecastle for Falkirk have been a joy as well. Very rarely loses the ball and for a man who lacks pace, can glide past players due to his quick football brain and feet.

Imeantasong
He may be an ex Hobo, but Russell Latapy's performances in recent seasons at Tynecastle for Falkirk have been a joy as well. Very rarely loses the ball and for a man who lacks pace, can glide past players due to his quick football brain and feet.

Yes, unfortunately.

Was at the Falkirk away game last season too when he came on with about 20 to play and turned a 1 goal deficit into a 2-1 win for them.

Naturally gifted player.

Gigolo-Aunt
Yes, unfortunately.

Was at the Falkirk away game last season too when he came on with about 20 to play and turned a 1 goal deficit into a 2-1 win for them.

Naturally gifted player.

Remember that all too well, mate. Listened to it on the radio, the games was crying out for someone to get tight to him - alas Hearts never heeded the warning.

south morocco
Remember that all too well, mate. Listened to it on the radio, the games was crying out for someone to get tight to him - alas Hearts never heeded the warning.

a great wee player ,glad he's getting older now

Did he not get the man of the match award from the stadium announcer?

Couldn't tell you,Jack although it wouldn't surprise me if he did.

rudi must stay

Albertz against us at Tynecastle a few years ago. It was 4-1 and he totally ran the show, scoring two of their goals. Best i've seen anyone play against us

shaun.lawson

That would be my choice too. Rangers won 4-0 against a Hearts team that, going into the game, thought it had a real chance - and I'd say our opponents that day were, collectively, probably the best SPL eleven we've faced since I became a Jambo, and on another planet compared to the rest of us:

Hearts (3-5-2): Rousset; Pressley, Murray, James; Flogel, Severin (Makel, 83), Cameron, Fulton (Juanjo, 61), Naysmith; Jackson (Locke, 83), Adam.

Rangers (4-3-3): Klos; Porrini, Moore (Adamczuk, h-t), Amoruso, Vidmar; Reyna (I Ferguson, 78), B Ferguson, Albertz; Johansson (Amato, 76), Mols, Wallace.

shaun.lawson
A Stefan Klos save from a Gary McSwegan header. McSwegan has never previously or since, caught a header like that in his life, Klos managed to stop the ball on the line, after it had already gone past him! I was already up celebrating and couldn't believe he'd stopped it.

Ridiculously good save, that one. Tugay handball game, IIRC? :mad:

That would be my choice too. Rangers won 4-0 against a Hearts team that, going into the game, thought it had a real chance - and I'd say our opponents that day were, collectively, probably the best SPL eleven we've faced since I became a Jambo, and on another planet compared to the rest of us:

Hearts (4-4-2): Rousset; Pressley, Murray, James, Naysmith; Flogel, Severin (Makel, 83), Cameron, Fulton (Juanjo, 61); Jackson (Locke, 83), Adam.

Rangers (4-3-3): Klos; Porrini, Moore (Adamczuk, h-t), Amoruso, Vidmar; Reyna (I Ferguson, 78), B Ferguson, Albertz; Johansson (Amato, 76), Mols, Wallace.

ah the genius that was Jim Jeffries Locke for Jackson in 83 mins, on the end of a gubbing? I think the team we beat in 1998 cup final had a lot more class than that bunch of carthorses as well

shaun.lawson
ah the genius that was Jim Jeffries Locke for Jackson in 83 mins, on the end of a gubbing? I think the team we beat in 1998 cup final had a lot more class than that bunch of carthorses as well

But the team we beat in the '98 final had had it: they were superb circa '96, but in major decline by this point. Whereas the 'bunch of carthorses' who beat us 4-0 were just about to knock Parma out of the Champions League, and almost qualified from a group containing Valencia and Bayern Munich, for heavens sake!

As for JJ: well, yes. But do you think losing 5-0 or 6-0 would've been any better for morale? What I take from looking at that eleven is how vulnerable we were at the back, and how soft we were in central midfield: hence him spending the SMG money later that season as he did.

But the team we beat in the '98 final had had it: they were superb circa '96, but in major decline by this point. Whereas the 'bunch of carthorses' who beat us 4-0 were just about to knock Parma out of the Champions League, and almost qualified from a group containing Valencia and Bayern Munich, for heavens sake!

As for JJ: well, yes. But do you think losing 5-0 or 6-0 would've been any better for morale? What I take from looking at that eleven is how vulnerable we were at the back, and how soft we were in central midfield: hence him spending the SMG money later that season as he did.

AH the word "Almost" who gives a ****** its Rankgers

shaun.lawson
AH the word "Almost" who gives a ****** its Rankgers

So, because it's Rankgers, we should've beaten them anyway, even though one of their players cost as much as our entire squad?! Valencia, by the way, would go on to reach that season's CL final, and Bayern the semis; before they contested the following year's final together. That's a mark of what Rangers were up against, yet they almost made it (and, as I said, knocked out Parma in the first place). Frankly, to have expected Hearts to get anywhere near such a team having ourselves lost McCann, Weir and Hamilton, and left Ritchie out because of his interview with Rangers News a few days beforehand, is absolutely insane.

MacDonald Jardine
any winger against Walter Kidd he was terrible

Davie Cooper rarely did well against him.

EION JESS,totally destroyed hearts.one goal in particular (chip) superb.

Cairneyhill Jambo

Frank McDougall for Aberdeen in the early 80's IIRC.

3rd was an absolute peach and the Hearts fans actually applauded him.

Also Jardel when he played for Porto in a pre season friendly at Tynie.

He scored 2 or 3 and they took him off at half time. Shame the huns didn't sign him/couldn't afford him.

Totally agree with those talking about Mols' performance in that 4-0 game at Tynie - has to be one of the best ever before he got injured.

As for Mark Walters, I remember that amazing piece of skill when he skinned Shuggy in '88 - one of the best moves I've ever seen live, although Henry never got the credit he deserved for the save he made at the end of it!

For the record, in that game it was actually from Nicky Walker's kickout that Walters did his thing - it was another four years before Goram signed for the forced of evil.......the same year that Scott Crabbe completely embarrassed him..........

Going back a bit further than the rest of these memories but a guy called Zoltan Varga who played for Aberdeen took us apart on his own at Tynie one day.

I was only a kid then but it was probably the first time I learned the name of an opposition player.

I think he could have beaten both Hearts & Aberdeen on his own that day

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Ridiculously good save, that one. Tugay handball game, IIRC? :mad:

I can't remember anything about the rest of the game to be honest, just that one incident. I had a great view of it too, I sat in Section V in those days.

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Frank McDougall for Aberdeen in the early 80's IIRC.

3rd was an absolute peach and the Hearts fans actually applauded him.

Also Jardel when he played for Porto in a pre season friendly at Tynie.

He scored 2 or 3 and they took him off at half time. Shame the huns didn't sign him/couldn't afford him.

:confused:

Agree with that mate. Every single time he plays against us we just don't get anywhere near him. Even when Brellier was playing he struggled to get at him.

Also like Chris_ said Petrov's goal in that link of Neil Lennon's pass. Great counter attacking goal with one of the best first time finishes I have seen. Even more so because it was into Gordon.

portobellojambo1

Not sure if it qualifies, as often with skill people are referring to outfield players. But the best performance I witnessed at Tynecastle by a non Hearts player has to have been Andy Goram, when with Hibs. Was a game we ended up winning 3-0 (?), but for Goram it could have been 10-0, going on 20. Think he was genuinely taken aback by the reaction of the crowd in The Shed at the end of the game.

I'm certain it was Walter Kidd he skinned with that move. When I read the title of the thread, this was the first thing that came to mind - bit of class from Walters.

I'm also sure it was Zico he skinned. I was in the Wheatfield right in front it it when it happened. Like you, I thought of this as soon as I saw the thread title. I've mentioned it loads of times to people - amazing skill... Watty was left 10 yards away in a second.

Chris Evans
Not sure if it qualifies, as often with skill people are referring to outfield players. But the best performance I witnessed at Tynecastle by a non Hearts player has to have been Andy Goram, when with Hibs. Was a game we ended up winning 3-0 (?), but for Goram it could have been 10-0, going on 20. Think he was genuinely taken aback by the reaction of the crowd in The Shed at the end of the game.

Please refer to post #3;)

Paisley Jambo
That's the piece of play that comes into my head every time when asked this question, the guy was simply awesome to watch.

Yes finished 1-1. We took the lead in the first half, can't remember who scored (prob. Robbo) and they equalised through Cooper midway through second.

Archived