McRAES bATTALION FUND RAISING

sinbad

Guys, for years I have thought that we have coasted along on the coat tails of our history and feel that as a support we need to be able to put a little back with the help of our club.

Contalmaison and Jack's team need support to maintain " our" cairn.

We live off the history of fighting in the war and taking care of our own.

My idea is, subject to tynie buying in, that 1 home game game in October is dedicated to raising money for contalmaison and Erskin house whhere modernday veterans in Edinburgh reside.

This could be either by a cut (excluding tv money) of gate recipets, a special raffle and other excercises, or by some other means. Or we could get Earl Haig to produce an poppy that's 50/50 marron and white and only on sale for us and split the profit 50/50.

My other option for contalmaison to secure its future is a 10p/20p/ ticket tax from every ticket sold for tynie (?1 for every eason ticket) to enable it's upkeep.

Open for discussion.

WorldChampions1902

Best of luck Sinbad with your endeavours.

Having just returned from the Somme and visited many of the memorial sites including the Cairn at Contalmaison, I would just like to echo your sentiments.

Jack Alexander and the Great War Memorial Committee have done a remarkable job to get where they are today. What was particularly noticeable having seen many of the memorial 'stones' was the thought and expense that has been invested in the Contalmaison Cairn. Everything from the finest quality Scottish Stone to bronze plaques from one of the worlds leading (and Scottish) company's along with the use of some of Scotland's finest stonemason's were melded together to deliver the beautiful memorial we see today.

Clearly, this sort of end result does not come cheap and I would encourage everyone to support the charity however best they can.

As Jack Alexander said many times during our recent trip, he wanted to produce a memorial that was worthy of the best soldiers in Kitchener's army. He managed to achieve this and it is now up to the rest of us to ensure that we support it to ensure that future generations never forget the sacrifice made by those brave men.

I doubt a share of gate reciepts would be feasable or allowed.

Although i am sure HMFC would make a contribution if they dont already.

I think a well organised and advertised collection at games leading up to November would raise significant funds.

I am sure there will be plenty of volunteers to help raise some needed funds.

Count me in.

:)

I doubt a share of gate reciepts would be feasable or allowed.

Although i am sure HMFC would make a contribution if they dont already.

I think a well organised and advertised collection at games leading up to November would raise significant funds.

I am sure there will be plenty of volunteers to help raise some needed funds.

Count me in.

:)

not often i agree with this pish heid, but this time.....

spot on J

Some good ideas there Sinbad.

All of which I'd happilly support.

Don't know if Vlad would be too happy with a split of the gate though.

Consider it done....now the rest of you get your loot oot and contribute:)

You know it makes sense!

Anyone who works for RBS can use the "double matched giving" that they run whereby for every pound you give they give another ?2.

I am sure other companies must run something similar too

Archived