Century 2000 - new music venue - Travis.

Boozyuzi

Good news that the old Century 2000/Revolution nightclub is re-opening as a 1,500 capacity music venue. Just what Edinburgh needs.:)

Not sure if we need Travis as the opening night launch night but hey hoo.

http://www.mamagroup.co.uk/picturehouse/

Pre-sale here -

http://www.seetickets.com/gat/event.asp?n|showname=coming&showname=travis&e|promoter=372&filler1=gigsandtours&filler2=pretravis

A wee trip there will bring back memories of seeing The Smiths and Aztec Camera there in 1984. :P:)

It's what they should have done with GIG. Unfortunately they just beefed up the sound system and did nothing else. I'll never forget the death trap of the stairs in the middle of the dancefloor during the subways gig.

I'm not really into the bands on offer so far, but have signed up to their newsletter so I can find out about new gigs there.

TBH I think it will struggle as a venue when we have the Corn Exchange, Usher Hall, and Liquid Rooms. Its bigger than the Liquid Rooms, but not by that much and about half the capacity of the ECE, where the type of bands they are aiming for normally play.

Edinburgh desperately needs a venue to compete with the SECC for the major acts, with a 10-15,000 capacity.

Edinburgh just needs a promoter willing to put decent bands on in Edinburgh.

Edinburgh used to have a bad name for poor ticket sales in smaller venues compared to other cities. I think thats changed now though

And as you said, It's crying out for a promoter to pull in decent bands

Disappointed by this to be honest.

Edinburgh really needs a modern day "Superclub" - something there is a major shortage of, and something there could / should / would be a market for. As a venue, it remains one of (probably THE) best places in Edinburgh. I'd love to see a proper, jumping club night back in Edinburgh like there was back in the days.

However.... there's no shortage of live music venues in the city.

Edinburgh just needs a promoter willing to put decent bands on in Edinburgh.

True - have you seen the line-up for the replacement to T on the Fringe? It is called the "Edge Festival" and is an utter joke.

On the brink of the Edinburgh Festival starting, they have finally decided to put on two bands with some standing - The Raconteurs and NERD. Other than that the line-up is full of artists that you would expect to see on the unsigned stage at T in the Park.

They used the excuse that they couldn't find any big bands to book, but a more likely excuse is they wanted to remove alternative attractions to their Connect Festival.

It is in a shocking place in terms of vehicle access for articulated lorries so that limits the size of band.

Edinburgh really needs a modern day "Superclub" - something there is a major shortage of, and something there could / should / would be a market for. As a venue, it remains one of (probably THE) best places in Edinburgh. I'd love to see a proper, jumping club night back in Edinburgh like there was back in the days.

However.... there's no shortage of live music venues in the city.

Eh?

whats a modern day superclub? examples if you have one?

Edinburgh really needs a modern day "Superclub".

That's the last thing the city needs IMO. Edinburgh isn't big enough to justify a massive club venue, smaller underground venues are struggling to draw enough clubbers as it is.

somewhere the likes ah Ultrasonic and TTF would be proud to bang out their blockbusting beats?

Soap on a rope and i don't do coke :653:

I'M IBRAHIM TALL

Century 2000/Gig's biggest problem is that it was set to one style of music. Century as your cheesy hardcore rubbish and Gig tried to go all guitars and it didn't work. A venue that can be adapted for a rock gig as well as a club night that is big enough to cater for decent names is what Edinburgh needs. Edinburgh should lose the snobbery for musical genres and set aside a night each for promoters to come in and put on what they think will work.

The main problem for me with this venue is its situation on Lothian Road. I have never been the type to reckon a scrap is part of a good night out. Is a ****ing midden. Secondly if Travis were playing in my back garden I would shut the curtains and phone the police. Tackling world poverty was obviously too big for them so they are back writing insipid music. Great

the voice from above
Century 2000/Gig's biggest problem is that it was set to one style of music. Century as your cheesy hardcore rubbish and Gig tried to go all guitars and it didn't work. A venue that can be adapted for a rock gig as well as a club night that is big enough to cater for decent names is what Edinburgh needs. Edinburgh should lose the snobbery for musical genres and set aside a night each for promoters to come in and put on what they think will work.

The main problem for me with this venue is its situation on Lothian Road. I have never been the type to reckon a scrap is part of a good night out. Is a ****ing midden. Secondly if Travis were playing in my back garden I would shut the curtains and phone the police. Tackling world poverty was obviously too big for them so they are back writing insipid music. Great

Agree entirely. It's the main reason they couldn't make it a club full time either, it's fight central at the weekend. Subway is bad enough, throw in 1500 more neds and what happens? Paddy wagons everywhere...

Nice one, any pictures of the intertior?

Nae pictures but was working inside building last week and it is still a building site

They used the excuse that they couldn't find any big bands to book, but a more likely excuse is they wanted to remove alternative attractions to their Connect Festival.

What a ****e excuse. The Reading/Leeds Festival is on August and loads of those bands are playing dates across the country around that weekend.

Anti-flag and Alkaline Trio are two bands who would have sold out the liquid rooms.

Eh?

whats a modern day superclub? examples if you have one?

places like:

Code - Birmingham

Sankeys - Manchester

Ministry - London

Tall Trees - Cleveland

or even you could argue the Arches in Weej

God superclubs don't neccessarily have to be filled with wee scrotes fighting.

In fact, wait until September 19th - Gatecrasher is having a 15th b'day bash at Ocean terminal with Armin van Buuren and friends!! woohoo!! ;)

Here's a boring story that nobody will care about -

After the FA cup final I had to get a mad dash taxi to Gatwick due to somebody jumping in front of the train. One of the guys I shared with owns the venue and was talking me through his plans for it. Had completely forgotten until now.

The last band worth a damn to play Edinburgh was Okkervil River and that was an age ago. Bon Iver at the Queens Hall next month should be ok though.

places like:

Code - Birmingham

Sankeys - Manchester

Ministry - London

Tall Trees - Cleveland

or even you could argue the Arches in Weej

God superclubs don't neccessarily have to be filled with wee scrotes fighting.

In fact, wait until September 19th - Gatecrasher is having a 15th b'day bash at Ocean terminal with Armin van Buuren and friends!! woohoo!! ;)

There would be riots and I doubt they would get the crowds mate...

You'd be looking at a venue of 750 - 1000 capacity and edinburgh wouldnt never fill it.

I'M IBRAHIM TALL

After the crash in dance music in the early 2000's, most venues tried to take the ethos of the super club but in a much smaller venue. Hence places like Cream and Gatecrasher either folding or downsizing.

Edinburgh could do with a 250 - 500 capacity club, with a decent music policy, a sensible door policy, a progressive DJ booking policy and a bit of forward thinking to drag it into the 21st Century. My personal preference is house music but clubbing in Edinburgh these days isn't worth the name. When Colours of Love ran at Mercado, the dress code was relaxed as was the attitudes of the people that went. These days you need a side score and a G-Star loyalty card or your laughed out of town. Changed days im afraid. I ound like an old fogey and i'm 32!!!

Adi Dassler
After the crash in dance music in the early 2000's, most venues tried to take the ethos of the super club but in a much smaller venue. Hence places like Cream and Gatecrasher either folding or downsizing.

Edinburgh could do with a 250 - 500 capacity club, with a decent music policy, a sensible door policy, a progressive DJ booking policy and a bit of forward thinking to drag it into the 21st Century. My personal preference is house music but clubbing in Edinburgh these days isn't worth the name. When Colours of Love ran at Mercado, the dress code was relaxed as was the attitudes of the people that went. These days you need a side score and a G-Star loyalty card or your laughed out of town. Changed days im afraid. I ound like an old fogey and i'm 32!!!

You forgot the Y-3 trainers. Otherwise, spot on.

Mercado, City, the "Sat Nav".

I wouldn't darken their door.

chester copperpot

Never out clubbing no more, prefer recreational drugs in the hoose. ;)

Used to frequent Cream in Liverpool and chucked in the odd trip to Ministry of Sound in the mid 90's. Some of the nights out there I've had will stay in the memory for life.

Gavsy Van Gaverson

Isn't the new Edinburgh Showground at Ingliston going to have a 10,000 seater venue for gigs etc?

If true, surely that would compete with the S.E.C.C.

Cabaret Voltaire :)

450 capacity, tends to attract a bit of an older crowd, nobody cares what you are wearing and it is very much underground house orientated.

:cool:

Isn't the new Edinburgh Showground at Ingliston going to have a 10,000 seater venue for gigs etc?

If true, surely that would compete with the S.E.C.C.

God knows when anything will happen at Ingliston.

The Airport are trying to buy their land for an extra runway and they need to locate to an alternative site. However, the BAA won't pay the going rate for the land, so any new venue could be way off until that is all resolved.

Here's a boring story that nobody will care about -

After the FA cup final I had to get a mad dash taxi to Gatwick due to somebody jumping in front of the train. One of the guys I shared with owns the venue and was talking me through his plans for it. Had completely forgotten until now.

The last band worth a damn to play Edinburgh was Okkervil River and that was an age ago. Bon Iver at the Queens Hall next month should be ok though.

The guy that got it is the guy that used to run/own the Carling Academy in Glesgae.

Ah The Amphitheatre, brings back some piish memories.

I was at Cabaret Voltaire last month for a gig and I thought it was perfect for a few hundred people.

Been moved to Room at the Top.

Jed The Jedi

Any one know what the first club/disco was called after this place jacked it in as a cinema.

Archived