Honda Civic - Anyone got one?

gorgieglory

gorgieglory

Thinking of getting one, not the new shape but one about 3-5 years old, poss a diesel.

Anyone got one or had one? If so whats your opinion?

Cheers

The Old Tolbooth

They certainly look the part, and I nearly went for one before I bought my Mondeo, it was a close run thing.

The black ones looks superb.

davemclaren
They certainly look the part, and I nearly went for one before I bought my Mondeo, it was a close run thing.

The black ones looks superb.

I always saw you as 'Mondeo man' John. ;)

Had one about 3 years ago great wee car. Although if you are going for a diesel, it really has to be a Golf TDI or any other car by Volkswagen Audi Group including Skodas and Seats. Best diesel engines by far.

I drive the new shape black Honda civic great car(ok it's my mums). Took a bit of a slating on top gear though.

heartsfc_fan
Had one about 3 years ago great wee car. Although if you are going for a diesel, it really has to be a Golf TDI or any other car by Volkswagen Audi Group including Skodas and Seats. Best diesel engines by far.

My old man has a Seat Ibiza 1.9 TDi FR. 150 BHP or something - from a DIESEL!!

I was a stupendously drunken passenger in a Civic Type R the day after our Cup Victory against Gretna as it aquaplaned along the bypass and skelped a barrier head on at 70mph and then went backwards in to the opposite barrier.

Pluses - i walked away uninjured, which either says the car stood up quite well, or my drunkeness worked to my advantage - i'm told the fact i didnt so much as flinch / tense up probably helped me. Driver broke her arm.

Negatives - the back end of a car should never act the way that one did that day.

Depends what you really want from a car to be honest..... but for decetn diesels, i'd be going down the Seat or Skoda route now to be honest - almost the same quality as a VW / Audi, same cars underneath all the plastic - and great value for money.

I P Knightley

My neighbour has a 2.0 litre one on a 53 plate. He also has an AMG M-class so has a decent point of comparison.

He raves about his Honda and uses it for almost all his non-work driving.

And it's maroon.

The Civics are nice but if it's not the new shape it uses a Isuzu diesel which is not particularly good in comparison to others as it's not a high pressure variant. The new shape has a quality engine in it.

I will admit that i've not drove the old diesel Civic but did have an Astra with the same engine and although it was alright for what I needed there are better ones out there.

As some have mentioned above you can get a better diesel from one of the VW based motors from up to 4 years ago. I think Citreons have also had the high pressure diesels going back 5 years now. Mind you, that would mean buying a Citreon!

gorgieglory
The Civics are nice but if it's not the new shape it uses a Isuzu diesel which is not particularly good in comparison to others as it's not a high pressure variant. The new shape has a quality engine in it.

I will admit that i've not drove the old diesel Civic but did have an Astra with the same engine and although it was alright for what I needed there are better ones out there.

As some have mentioned above you can get a better diesel from one of the VW based motors from up to 4 years ago. I think Citreons have also had the high pressure diesels going back 5 years now. Mind you, that would mean buying a Citreon!

I only need a car for the weekend, the missus has a Golf TDI, so i was only looking at speanding ?4-5k on something small that would last a while but could handle doing the odd long trip.

Would the Polo TDI have the same engine as the Golf TDI?

Be prepared for big repair bill when the flywheel goes wrong on the Golf TDi because it will.

Thinking of getting one, not the new shape but one about 3-5 years old, poss a diesel.

Cheers

If your getting a 3-5 years old one and you don't want something too thirsty, go for the 1.6 petrol mate. My uncle has the diesel and apparently it's not even a Honda engine! They, ahem, "borrowed" it from another Asian company. The 1.6 Sport has a perfect mixture of economy and sporty drive I think.

The new one's didn't get a great write up either, heavy cars, and not as good as the previous model which is the one you are looking for. The 5 door's look a bit nicer than the last one, but then that wouldn't be hard.

If your getting a 3-5 years old one and you don't want something too thirsty, go for the 1.6 petrol mate. My uncle has the diesel and apparently it's not even a Honda engine! They, ahem, "borrowed" it from another Asian company. The 1.6 Sport has a perfect mixture of economy and sporty drive I think.

The new one's didn't get a great write up either, heavy cars, and not as good as the previous model which is the one you are looking for. The 5 door's look a bit nicer than the last one, but then that wouldn't be hard.

What was that nice GOLD coloured car I seen you and Mr H SQUEEEEEZED into the other week Bigyin??? ;)

A know, A know...A've got a Scooter!! :P

Ray Winstone

Get yourself the old model Civic type R.

My mate has one and having driven it on a couple of occassions I can say its a cracker!

Definitely worth it for the excitement value.

What was that nice GOLD coloured car I seen you and Mr H SQUEEEEEZED into the other week Bigyin??? ;)

A know, A know...A've got a Scooter!! :P

Ha Ha!! Scooter boy, well Scooter man actually :loser:

It was a courtesy car, some woman from my work ran into the back of me at a roundabout. It's all fixed and better now though, anyone want to buy a nice Mondeo TDCI Zetec? ;)

I've an FRV, diesel engine, goes a dream, it's a good car, and a good engine.

It won't for long with your driving ya bam!!! :dribble:

Cant help you with Civic chum

Neither can I, but I had an S2000 until a couple of months ago and had no trouble with it at all. If that's typical of Honda quality - and I suspect it is - then a Civic should be a good option.

Neither can I, but I had an S2000 until a couple of months ago and had no trouble with it at all. If that's typical of Honda quality - and I suspect it is - then a Civic should be a good option.

The S2000, although a farely rare car, was officially named the most reliable and best car to own in a big review a year or 2 ago.

But it has a Honda engine, the last Honda diesel doesn't ;)

I think the S2000 topped the JDPower reliability/satisfaction survey for three years in a row.

I wasn't aware the Honda diesel doesn't have a Honda engine.

I think the S2000 topped the JDPower reliability/satisfaction survey for three years in a row.

I wasn't aware the Honda diesel doesn't have a Honda engine.

If you buy a new honda, it will have a honda diesel engine and they are brilliant, however as already posted the older cars didn't and they are really rough. :(

Never had a Civic, but have had 2 used Preludes and a Accord and would recommend Honda's to anyone. Great cars.

Not much point in getting a diesel. Honda petrol engines are fantastic on economy. I used to have a CRX and it was amazingly economical for such a fast car.

Jimmy McNulty

Cheers

HAve a CIvic and love it (got a great deal on a 2004 model as the 2005 models were just coming out). Great on gas and reliable (unlike the piece of **** American car I had before).

I only need a car for the weekend, the missus has a Golf TDI, so i was only looking at speanding ?4-5k on something small that would last a while but could handle doing the odd long trip.

Would the Polo TDI have the same engine as the Golf TDI?

The Polos got a smaller engine but it is still quite a heavy car. They do hold their value really well though, as you'd expect from a VW. My bro just sold a 1.4 petrol one and had 6 folk looking to buy it on the first day of putting it on autotrader!

As others have stated if your only doing low mileage you would be better of with a petrol.

I just bought myself a new motor. I went out to get a second hand diesel but after working out my average mileage, the cost of deisel and relating that to whether it was worth paying the extra for a diesel I ended up getting a brand new petrol.

The whole diesels are cheaper to run mindset doesn't apply anymore due to the price of fuel. Unless you run them on chipfat of course!

heartsfc_fan

The thing with Diesels is you get the torque. They pull like a train. You get a 1.9 TDI VW engine (they use the same in Seat's, Skoda's, Audi's etc) they are immense at mid-range speeds. They also do an average of 50+ MPG, and tend to last for well over 100,000 miles.

If you were to get the same torque in a petrol car, you'd be getting something well over a 2.0 Litre. More expensive to insure, TAX (the 1.9 TDI engines are ususally about ?120 for the year, whereas 2 litre+ petrols are easily over ?180 for the year) and probably struggle to do 30 MPG

I have to say that I do miss the 5th gear pull from 50 to 70 on the motorway that I had in my old diesel versus my new petrol.

Archived