Wildcats-Anybody ever seen one?

Doctor FinnBarr

Doctor FinnBarr

Until today I'd been in the club of people who have never seen one! We decided to take a drive out to Inversnaid on the east bank of Loch Lomond when round about Loch Chon this big feckin cat bounds across the road in front of us, sort of tiger-striped with a broader than normal tail! Wildcat we thought, that was lucky seeing 1 of them.

A few hours later when we were returning (and I had been on soda water and lime) we came across another 1 sitting at the side of the road! It done a runner when it spotted us allowing us to see the rings on its tail. Defo a Wildcat! We drove along to where it was last seen and the booger was still sitting there facing us, no more than 1 metre from the car! It seemed to be hissing at us but it was hard to tell because of the engine noise. This stand-off lasted about 30 secs before it turned and sauntered off.

Came home and found the Scottish Wildcats website that showed us pics of what we had seen! Never a camera when you need one, cracking thing to see tho!

:)

When I read the thread title I thought you meant a big cat such as a panther or a puma.

My brother and I both saw what looked like a panther next to the River Tweed about 15 years ago where my old man used to live.

At first we thought it was a big black lab and our dog swam across the river, ran towards it then promptly ran back again! But it was obvious when it sat down and started preening itself that it wasn't a dog.

A few weeks later a neighbour saw exactly the same thing (he hadn't heard about us seeing it).

Genuine story........A member of the family had a guest house up North. Two English lads were working up in the area for a few weeks and got a couple of rooms.

One night they`d been out for a few jars and got back to the guest house around midnight. They slammed the front door and were panting away out of breath.

The mini bar was still open and the barman asked what was up and one said " i think we`ve just been chased off a HAGGIS!"

Apparently a local had got a hold off them in the boozer next door and told them a yarn as they had enquired about where haggis comes from.

They were told it was a big bird that flies about the hills and a large bird had swooped a couple of times above them coming back from the the pub that night!

tw*ts.........:confused:

When I read the thread title I thought you meant a big cat such as a panther or a puma.

My brother and I both saw what looked like a panther next to the River Tweed about 15 years ago where my old man used to live.

At first we thought it was a big black lab and our dog swam across the river, ran towards it then promptly ran back again! But it was obvious when it sat down and started preening itself that it wasn't a dog.

A few weeks later a neighbour saw exactly the same thing (he hadn't heard about us seeing it).

Someone at my work claims to have seen a similar thing in fife. There seems to be far to many sightings to ignore

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_big_cats

http://heritage.scotsman.com/bigcats/Big-cat-panic-as-police.3355725.jp

http://www.scottishbigcats.co.uk/scottishsightings.htm

The Old Tolbooth

We went to the five sisters zoo near Livingston a couple of weeks ago with the kids, and in one of the larger cages they had wild cats which they stated were from up the North of Scotland.

The male was bloody huge!! Looked stunning though, although you wouldn't want clawed by one of these fekkers!!

Someone at my work claims to have seen a similar thing in fife. There seems to be far to many sightings to ignore

Yeah.

I'm logical enogh to realise that most sightings are people's eyes deceiving them and I know I'm not immune to it myself, but it looked a lot like a big cat to me.

aye when I was a bairn the stories of the 'midlothian beast' etc always intrigued me. Farmers cattle getting clawed/eaten etc

Doctor FinnBarr
We went to the five sisters zoo near Livingston a couple of weeks ago with the kids, and in one of the larger cages they had wild cats which they stated were from up the North of Scotland.

The male was bloody huge!! Looked stunning though, although you wouldn't want clawed by one of these fekkers!!

The one we seen on the way back was nowhere near the size of the 1st one! Strange thing was, I always thought these things stayed away from humans.

:eek:

few decent links from darth. Been browsing about and found some very interesting sites. I imagine some of them can get huge.

The Old Tolbooth
The one we seen on the way back was nowhere near the size of the 1st one! Strange thing was, I always thought these things stayed away from humans.

A wee tip, if one ever tries to attack you, always carry a can of tuna in your pocket, although it's pretty useless without the can opener! :confused:

(how bad would you feel if you actually had the can of tuna, but forgot the opener ffs)

jambos are go!

IIRC there is a debate as to whether there is a distinct species of Wildcat in Scotand or if they are just domestic cats gone wild(feral). I also think that DNA samples supported the domestic cat theory.

Doctor FinnBarr
A wee tip, if one ever tries to attack you, always carry a can of tuna in your pocket, although it's pretty useless without the can opener! :confused:

(how bad would you feel if you actually had the can of tuna, but forgot the opener ffs)

I was sitting with the car window wide open when the fecker was staring me out and all I could think was that if it attacked we were knacked, so I started making the daft sort of noises that you make to cats! Not sure how to spell them, tsse psse, you get the idea!

:confused:

IIRC there is a debate as to whether there is a distinct species of Wildcat in Scotand or if they are just domestic cats gone wild(feral). I also think that DNA samples supported the domestic cat theory.

Wildcats are a separate part of the cat family. However there are fears that the gene pool is being thinned out by crossbreeding with feral cats. And frankly if you have ever seen a real wildcat you will know that lady feral cats have no choice but to comply if a wildcat gets a bit amorous with them.

Doctor FinnBarr
Wildcats are a separate part of the cat family. However there are fears that the gene pool is being thinned out by crossbreeding with feral cats. And frankly if you have ever seen a real wildcat you will know that lady feral cats have no choice but to comply if a wildcat gets a bit amorous with them.

Do you mean Get them pumped?

;)

jambos are go!

You would think that there would be at least some crossbreeding with domestic cats and that we would have examples to see in the home not the wild. Surely the DNA evidence cant be dismissed.

The Old Tolbooth
I was sitting with the car window wide open when the fecker was staring me out and all I could think was that if it attacked we were knacked, so I started making the daft sort of noises that you make to cats! Not sure how to spell them, tsse psse, you get the idea!

:confused:

:rofl:

I really wish I'd seen/heard that!!!!

I honestly think I'd have pished myself!! :D

You would think that there would be at least some crossbreeding with domestic cats and that we would have examples to see in the home not the wild. Surely the DNA evidence cant be dismissed.

wildcats

Doctor FinnBarr
:rofl:

I really wish I'd seen/heard that!!!!

I honestly think I'd have pished myself!! :D

Its all I could think to do! Now, if I'd had a piece of wool or a lazer pen.....

BJ, we are on the east side of Orlando, and back onto a conservation lot - that in itself is not big enough to support this reclusive animal, or the mummy deer and her two baby deer that come in to enjoy my weeds - there's a lot of construction out here - anyway, was surprised and pleased to actually see this in real life!:)

http://www.realestatesarasota.net/bobcat/florida.htm

Until today I'd been in the club of people who have never seen one! We decided to take a drive out to Inversnaid on the east bank of Loch Lomond when round about Loch Chon this big feckin cat bounds across the road in front of us, sort of tiger-striped with a broader than normal tail! Wildcat we thought, that was lucky seeing 1 of them.

A few hours later when we were returning (and I had been on soda water and lime) we came across another 1 sitting at the side of the road! It done a runner when it spotted us allowing us to see the rings on its tail. Defo a Wildcat! We drove along to where it was last seen and the booger was still sitting there facing us, no more than 1 metre from the car! It seemed to be hissing at us but it was hard to tell because of the engine noise. This stand-off lasted about 30 secs before it turned and sauntered off.

Came home and found the Scottish Wildcats website that showed us pics of what we had seen! Never a camera when you need one, cracking thing to see tho!

Doctor FinnBarr
BJ, we are on the east side of Orlando, and back onto a conservation lot - that in itself is not big enough to support this reclusive animal, or the mummy deer and her two baby deer that come in to enjoy my weeds - there's a lot of construction out here - anyway, was surprised and pleased to actually see this in real life!:)

http://www.realestatesarasota.net/bobcat/florida.htm

Have you moved into a Safari Park?:)

I don't think I'd have stopped the car for that thing!

jambos are go!

A bit biased IMO. Heres something I found that accepts there is an arguement.

This paper describes a genetic analysis of wild-living cats in Scotland. Samples from 230 wild-living Scottish cats (including 13 museum skins) and 74 house cats from England and Scotland were surveyed for nine microsatellite loci. Pelage characteristics of the wild-living cats were recorded, and the cats were then grouped into five separate categories depending on the degree to which they conformed to the characteristics attributed to Felis silvestris Schreber, 1775. Allele frequency differences between the morphological groups are greater than those among the three house cat samples. Analysis of genetic distances suggests that more of the differences between individuals can be explained by pelage than geographical proximity, and that pelage and geographical location are not confounded. Ordination of the genetic distances suggests two main groups of wild-living cats, with intermediates, and one group is genetically very similar to the house cats, while the other group contains all cats taxonomically identified as wildcat based on morphology. A genetic mixture analysis gives similar results to the ordination, but also suggests that the genotypes of a substantial number of cats in the wildcat group are drawn from a gene pool with genotypes in approximately equilibrium proportions. We argue that this is evidence that these cats do not have very recent domestic ancestry. However, from the morphological data it is highly likely that this gene pool also contains a contribution from earlier introgression of domestic cat genes.

My Uncle had a pet Scottish Wildcat, he was pretty big. A big softy though.

Yes, I do realise it's a contradiction.

Archived