Films that should be remade with todays technology....

Konrad von Carstein

Konrad von Carstein

For me there are so many "classic" films that would be absolute smashes if remade using todays technology. My initial picks for remake would be:

Jason and the Argonauts

The whole Hammer House of Horror series

Dracula (the Gary Oldman version was pish!)

The Magnificent 7 (:eek:)

also there are so many Greek/Roman mythology stories that would translate into brilliant films

It's Saturday...I've had a lazy day with BBQ, beer an smokes an am sitting with my g/f who is watchin "heat" with R d Niro Al Pacino etc so i'm bein ignored...

Any suggestions bout remakes?

For me there are so many "classic" films that would be absolute smashes if remade using todays technology. My initial picks for remake would be:

Jason and the Argonauts

also there are so many Greek/Roman mythology stories that would translate into brilliant films

It's Saturday...I've had a lazy day with BBQ, beer an smokes an am sitting with my g/f who is watchin "heat" with R d Niro Al Pacino etc so i'm bein ignored...

jason and the argonauts? was on earlier....

and the other one with medusa, the bird with snakes as hair.

jason and the argonauts? was on earlier....

and the other one with medusa, the bird with snakes as hair.

Clash of the Titans?

perseus.jpg

Konrad von Carstein
Clash of the Titans?

perseus.jpg

aye...that's the idea! Surely there ar ehunners of films we could think of...or am I just peshed?

chester copperpot

I dont think any film should be remade. I'm a sucker for the original film. If its a classic, its a classic, leave it at that.

Im all for a remake, I just think the classic's should be left as classics.

I didn't like the Star Wars films the second time round, but it may just have been me.

Konrad von Carstein
I dont think any film should be remade. I'm a sucker for the original film. If its a classic, its a classic, leave it at that.

I didn't like the Star Wars films the second time round, but it may just have been me.

I too love classics....Magnificent 7, Star Wars (up to a point), Great Escape, Battle of Britain...the list goes on...but...there are stories to be told to a new generation..just thought of another...Sinbad wot we all saw in the Odeon on a saturday mornin....

Agree that there are some films that you just couldn't remake e.g. Where Eagles Dare, Zulu, any of the Dollars films.

I think in the genre of classic mythology it isn't necessarily a case of producing a remake though, rather a case of exploiting the stories and making cracking films out of them. The same could be said of any historical film though. How about a WWII film about El Alemein for example? or a really good one about the French Revolution?

Doctor FinnBarr
I too love classics....Magnificent 7, Star Wars (up to a point), Great Escape, Battle of Britain...the list goes on...but...there are stories to be told to a new generation..just thought of another...Sinbad wot we all saw in the Odeon on a saturday mornin....

What magic trick did Steve McQueen perform with the bike in the Great Escape?

:wacko:

Carl Spackler

Although it was OK I think they should remake 1984. The one they made in 1984 wasn't really how I imagined it when reading the book.

Thinking of that did they ever make Brave New World into a film? I can't remember ever seeing it.

Konrad von Carstein

WTF...either enter into the spirit of the thread...or zip it.

Boris good points well made, but...the films you mentioned COULD be remade today and be fantastic cinematic experiences for audiences...IMO films are a medium to tell stories an sas technology improves those stories can b beter told...or we could just accept films like Dave:wacko:

chester copperpot

Jesus H christ.

Gigolo-Aunt
Although it was OK I think they should remake 1984. The one they made in 1984 wasn't really how I imagined it when reading the book.

Thinking of that did they ever make Brave New World into a film? I can't remember ever seeing it.

Agree on 1984. Thought the film never done the book justice.

Richard "I love you/hate you Elizabeth" Burtons last film as well.

Boris good points well made, but...the films you mentioned COULD be remade today and be fantastic cinematic experiences for audiences...IMO films are a medium to tell stories an sas technology improves those stories can b beter told...or we could just accept films like Dave:wacko:

Yes, they could be remade but for me Where Eagles Dare IS Richard Burton & Clint Eastwood. (for example)

The result wouldn't be the same for me, but not say I suppose that they would be bad films.

Gigolo-Aunt
Yes, they could be remade but for me Where Eagles Dare IS Richard Burton & Clint Eastwood. (for example)

The result wouldn't be the same for me, but not say I suppose that they would be bad films.

Totally agree. Burton and Eastwood makes that move what it is.

south morocco
Agree on 1984. Thought the film never done the book justice.

Richard "I love you/hate you Elizabeth" Burtons last film as well.

i agree they rarely do though ,especially when an american director grabs it,no concept of wit /irony sarcasm,all of it lost,not always the case but more than often!

Doctor FinnBarr
Jesus H christ.

Well........do you know the answer," he asked, tapping his foot impatiently".

:)

Yes I know the inverted commas are out of place.

No-one could ever surpass Burton's "Broadsword calling Danny Boy, Broadsword calling Danny Boy". It simply isn't possible.

Gigolo-Aunt
No-one could ever surpass Burton's "Broadsword calling Danny Boy, Broadsword calling Danny Boy". It simply isn't possible.

:)

Carl Spackler

I just checked IMDB about Brave New World and it seems they made it for TV in 1980 and 1988. That's got to be worth making into a "proper" film using modern CGI.

Konrad von Carstein

THAT movie is of course quite correctly considered a classic....but my reason for the thread was to find out from fellow KBrs which films (or stories) that could be remade today to improve/enhance the experience of watching the story on film.

For example....who would you see starring in a remake of Arsenic and Old Lace a hugely funny film IMO....

Doctor FinnBarr
What magic trick did Steve McQueen perform with the bike in the Great Escape?:wacko:
Yes, I'm sure you all knew, he started the jump riding a BMW, changed in midair t o a BSA then back again when he landed!:confused:

Yes, I'm sure you all knew, he started the jump riding a BMW, changed in midair t o a BSA then back again when he landed!:confused:

Jees of course everyone knew that. :P

Back to the original post films shouldnt be remade especially good films I cant off the top of my head think of any good remakes, but can think of loads of really bad remakes.

PsychocAndy

I'd like to see a remake of "Girl on a Motorbike", Alain Delon is remarkable but Marianne Faithful is old now and I feel dirty after watching it.:rolleyes:

Of today's actors to remake it I'd have Scarlet Johansen in the title role. She's sung with the Jesus and Marychain, which makes her great anyway, and theres lots of nudity in it, and she's got some chest on her. Couldn't give a flying fart how plays the male role.

I don't think even with the advancements in technology that the young pretty boy actors of today could portray the ruggedness that the old stars had. Of course my opinion is probably biased toward the older breed of actors.

Due to the fact that they buggered up the orginal attempt they should have another go at making a proper cinema movie of Dune.

A Boy Named Crow

Jason and the Argonauts

With you on that one. Whilst it stayed true to the Stoker original, the effects were terrible and the boy Reeves was wooden beyond belief!

Mac_fae_Gillie

Battle of Midway

Battle of the Bulge

Cromwell

El Cid

Khartuoum no yank twit.

---would love to see a Zulu war trilagy,not a remake..that would be..

1.count down to war/defeat at Isandalwa

2.rorkes drift and the story of the running battle lord chelsford had that night.

3.the 3 other major battles that were fought ending at ulundi.40000zulus Vs 6500brit/indian troops---

Definitely Dune - David Lynch is ****.

Let somebody else have another go at War of the Worlds- Spielberg ****ed that up.

My major gripe with most 'classic' war films is most characters seem to be immune from bullets and shells. You know, some guy walking through The Ardennes with a with a tub of Brylcreem on his head whilst calmly smoking a Marlboro whilst all hell is breaking loose, then giving some awe inspiring "i'm so fecking cool" speech to his less fortunate co-star, just doesn't strike me as being entertaining nor the least bit realistic.

I'm miffed as to why half these films were thought off as classics.

Carl Spackler
Debbie Does dallas??????;);)

Not that I've seen it :P but I doubt very much that the technological apparatus used at the time of making that film will have improved much in the last 30 years. Longer lasting batteries maybe.

Definitely Dune - David Lynch is ****.

Let somebody else have another go at War of the Worlds- Spielberg ****ed that up.

Actually as the books are absolutely top, let the directors leave these stories alone. The original format remains the best medium for these fantastic stories.

Actually as the books are absolutely top, let the directors leave these stories alone. The original format remains the best medium for these fantastic stories.

I agree to an extent but look at how well Lord of the Rings was done and then compare it to Dune and War of the worlds.

Professor.Arturo

Personally, I have a dislike for remakes. The originals have something special that should not be taken away, even if they are old with dodgy SFX.

If I was pushed though:

The day the Earth stood still

The incredible shrinking man

I have a thing for old 50's & 60's Sci-Fi :)

Carl Spackler
Personally, I have a dislike for remakes. The originals have something special that should not be taken away, even if they are old with dodgy SFX.

If I was pushed though:

The day the Earth stood still

The incredible shrinking man

I have a thing for old 50's & 60's Sci-Fi :)

No way should they touch The Day the Earth Stood Still! Or The Forbidden Planet (even though that was Shakespeare anyway). I don't think bringing those films "up to date" would work. They are of their time.

I agree to an extent but look at how well Lord of the Rings was done and then compare it to Dune and War of the worlds.

Yeah but there is a lot more work to bring the likes of Dune to the big screen than there was with LOTR. For a start the amount of scenes that are purely in Pauls head. LOTR was mostly interaction between characters, a much easier (but by no means easy to do well) way of progressing the story in the film.

My biggest gripe with the film Dune was the fact that you could tell that they started out with big ideas staying fairly faithful to the book, but then the budget got blown and they ended up cutting huge amounts of the story out without substitution, which made that film very difficult to follow, even if you already know the story well

Jason and the Argonauts

Forget that classy stuff, "Carry On Camping", and "Carry On Screaming" - best 'q' ever in a movie by Fenella Fielding - "D'you mind if I smoke?" She was HOT in that dress, no pun intended.;)

Konrad von Carstein

They should defo remake Judge Dredd the 2000AD comic character because they made an absolute dugs breakfast of an attempt at it...Sly Stallone and Deuce Bigalow ffs...only decent thing about the film was the hottie that played Hershey....:dribble:

Archived