Man Utd Land tevez for ?32 Mill (NHC)

tedp6873

Regular John

I wouldn't pay half that amount for him.

He's a luxury player that's been found out when Rooney and Ronaldo aren't around.

They should ditch him and concentrate on signing Berbatov.

Glad to hear it.

He's part of a three pronged attack that should not be broken up.

He's a luxury player that's been found out when Rooney and Ronaldo aren't around.

Can't agree with any of that.

Tremendous little player and a great finisher.

Worth every penny.

Charlie-Brown

Worth every penny.

It shows what a twisted sense of values we have when a football player at ?32 Million is believed to be WORTH every penny........ :o

Ryan Gosling

Worth every penny.

I think he's mixed up.

Ronaldo's the luxury player. Rooney and Tevez are the players you want when the chips are down.

It shows what a twisted sense of values we have when a football player at ?32 Million is believed to be WORTH every penny........ :o

You get what you pay for in life.

If you want a striker in the world top 10, you are going to pay 20m+.

Charlie-Brown
You get what you pay for in life.

If you want a striker in the world top 10, you are going to pay 20m+.

Manchester United were better when they concentrated on producing their own players and complementing them with value for money signings like Sheringham & Solksjaer.

Ryan Gosling
Manchester United were better when they concentrated on producing their own players and complementing them with value for money signings like Sheringham & Solksjaer.

They were better until Chelsea forced their hand ever so slightly.

They won the Prem and the Champions League - how much better can they get? :P

I know what you mean by the way, the was a joke. Maybe Peanut is right and Chelsea did force their hand by taking spending on players to the next level.

did they not win the league last year with a team that they largely bought and a winger who scored 41 goals

the sheringham's, solksjaer's could not dream of getting onto that team

Charlie-Brown
They won the Prem and the Champions League - how much better can they get? :P

I know what you mean by the way, the was a joke. Maybe Peanut is right and Chelsea did force their hand by taking spending on players to the next level.

They didn't win the treble of Premiership, Champs League and FA Cup though did they? :)

It used to be the case that Man United produced world class wingers like Giggs & Beckham at their own academy for free.....nowadays they go to Portugal to buy the likes of Ronaldo & Nani paying about ?15Million a time.

Where are the Giggs, Beckham, Scholes, Neville brothers of today? Also players like Keane, Sheringham and Scandinavians like Schmeical & Solksjaer came from a background and Northern European culture that the fans could easily identify ie they were 'natural' players for Man United to sign and fitted in well with a Manchester based club.

Today, possibly thanks to Quieroz and Ferguson's impatience to build another team instead of buying one - they've filled their ranks with South European and South American players like Tevez, Ronaldo, Nani, Anderson etc - players who have no connection or affinity for Manchester / Northern England.

Okay they still have some 'local' players like Rooney, Carrick, Ferdinand & D.Fletcher as well as the remnants of Ferguson's previously great team but they are now in their twilight seasons.

Manchester United will probably continue to be hugely successful because their giant size and vast wealth permits this - however in my opinion they have lost their way and lost some of their identity when you compare the squads of 2008 v 1999.

Ryan Gosling
They didn't win the treble of Premiership, Champs League and FA Cup though did they? :)

It used to be the case that Man United produced world class wingers like Giggs & Beckham at their own academy for free.....nowadays they go to Portugal to buy the likes of Ronaldo & Nani paying about ?15Million a time.

Where are the Giggs, Beckham, Scholes, Neville brothers of today? Also players like Keane, Sheringham and Scandinavians like Schmeical & Solksjaer came from a background and Northern European culture that the fans could easily identify ie they were 'natural' players for Man United to sign and fitted in well with a Manchester based club.

Today, possibly thanks to Quieroz and Ferguson's impatience to build another team instead of buying one - they've filled their ranks with South European and South American players like Tevez, Ronaldo, Nani, Anderson etc - players who have no connection or affinity for Manchester / Northern England.

Okay they still have some 'local' players like Rooney, Carrick, Ferdinand & D.Fletcher as well as the remnants of Ferguson's previously great team but they are now in their twilight seasons.

Manchester United will probably continue to be hugely successful because their giant size and vast wealth permits this - however in my opinion they have lost their way and lost some of their identity when you compare the squads of 2008 v 1999.

Name an established Premiership team that hasn't?

Fulham are spending ?11m on average players now. Fulham.

Ferguson was always well known for finding a bargain, like Solskjaer, Cantona, Kanchelskis etc.

And just before we go down the 'youth academy won them the treble' - don't forget the biggest players in that team were Keane, Cole and Yorke, who cost a total of ?22m.

I'd say in the past few years Ferguson has done a grand job of rebuilding his team.

I don't agree that they have lost their way.

They have merely adapted to the changing climate in English and European football and done what was needed to get back to the top. Even during the Beckham Giggs days they signed South Americans, Africans, Asians etc and some for massive money such as Veron. Ferguson is a master at using whatever resources he has from throughout the club, his connections and scouting network to achieve a team with great balance of UK and international talent and to make it successfull.

Charlie-Brown

Their youth academy didn't win them the treble but it provided the core of their team and squad - the home produced players filled a lot more jerseys then they do now and the squad as a whole had much more local / traditional indentity then than now as it was mostly all mancs, brits, irish & scandinavians.

Club's youth academies seem to have little bursts of producing exceptional talent and then it slows down for a while. Not many clubs can keep producing Beckham, Giggs, Scholes standard of player every year. They did produce a great generation of players though.

Ryan Gosling
Their youth academy didn't win them the treble but it provided the core of their team and squad - the home produced players filled a lot more jerseys then they do now and the squad as a whole had much more local / traditional indentity then than now as it was mostly all mancs, brits, irish & scandinavians.

Schmeichel, Neville (H), Stam, Johnsen, Irwin, Blomqvist, Beckham (H), Butt (H), Giggs (H), Yorke, Cole.

Subs: Solskjaer, Sheringham, May, van der Gouw, Neville (H), Greening (H), Brown (H).

United in Moscow:

Van der Sar, Brown (H) (Anderson 120), Ferdinand, Vidic, Evra, Hargreaves, Scholes (H) (Giggs (H) 87), Carrick, Ronaldo, Tevez, Rooney (Nani 101).

Subs Not Used: Kuszczak, O'Shea (H), Fletcher (H), Silvestre.

Now if we remove Greening as he left United soon after, 5 vs 6 homegrown players is not a big difference, is it?

It's ?15m with add-ons based on appearances and successes up to ?32m. The financial boost of winning something would probably cover the bonuses, so it's not that bad a deal in my opinion.

Edit - And they're not paying it till either January or next summer, meaning they still have cash for a new player. Not a bad deal at all.

Charlie-Brown
Schmeichel, Neville (H), Stam, Johnsen, Irwin, Blomqvist, Beckham (H), Butt (H), Giggs (H), Yorke, Cole.

Subs: Solskjaer, Sheringham, May, van der Gouw, Neville (H), Greening (H), Brown (H).

United in Moscow:

Van der Sar, Brown (H) (Anderson 120), Ferdinand, Vidic, Evra, Hargreaves, Scholes (H) (Giggs (H) 87), Carrick, Ronaldo, Tevez, Rooney (Nani 101).

Now if we remove Greening as he left United soon after, 5 vs 6 homegrown players is not a big difference, is it?

Why focus only on the european finals? why not the respective squads for the whole season? Scholes & Keane were both suspended in 1999 but would definitely have played had they been available.

Charlie-Brown
Club's youth academies seem to have little bursts of producing exceptional talent and then it slows down for a while. Not many clubs can keep producing Beckham, Giggs, Scholes standard of player every year. They did produce a great generation of players though.

But Manchester United have every advantage in this area as the best kids want to sign for them & many do - so the question is why are they failing to break through? or are they simply being denied the development time & opportunities that Fergie's previous team of 'babes' got?

Ryan Gosling

NMH - why are you only choosing to dig at United?

Compare the amount of homegrown players in their squad to that of Arsenal, Liverpool or Chelsea.

But Manchester United have every advantage in this area as the best kids want to sign for them & many do - so the question is why are they failing to break through? or are they simply being denied the development time & opportunities that Fergie's previous team of 'babes' got?

Maybe they are not of the same quality of 10 years ago? Who knows, I still think it's wrong to say the club has lost it's way though.

Ryan Gosling
Maybe they are not of the same quality of 10 years ago? Who knows, I still think it's wrong to say the club has lost it's way though.

They've got lots of youngsters on their tour at the moment too.

Charlie-Brown
NMH - why are you only choosing to dig at United?

Compare the amount of homegrown players in their squad to that of Arsenal, Liverpool or Chelsea.

I'm not only having a dig at United - the problem is widespread and those other clubs you named have the same issues, I think it's no surprise that both Chelsea's & Liverpool's most influential players have been Terry & Lampard and Gerrard & Carragher who are home produced or players with local identity.

But anyway 3 of the home produced players in this years Man United team - Giggs Scholes & Brown were also in the 1999 squad and debuted in the early or mid nineties........this thread began about Tevez and how much they paid for him - I believe they paid a LOT LESS for some of their greatest players.

I think Man Utd are less focused on producing their own great players now compared to previously - but the same problem exists elsewhere - i think this is a shame and these teams have lost their way and lost some of their identity as a result.

Others may think differently. :)

United in Moscow:

Greening was signed from York City, so not really a home grown player anyway

loveofthegame
Why focus only on the european finals? why not the respective squads for the whole season? Scholes & Keane were both suspended in 1999 but would definitely have played had they been available.

Keane was signed from Forest so wasn't home grown. He may have actually pushed 1 of the home-grown players out the squad had he not been suspended.

Unfortunately thats football today. If you want success you have to pay for it. The only hope is that you add a few quality home-grown players every so often, but these guys aren't easy to come by. Who knows what 16 year is gonna turn into the next Christiano Ronaldo, Didier Drogba, Frank Lampard, Stevie Gerrard etc etc etc.

Players develop at different rates and its near impossible to have a big batch of youngsters from a very young age who you KNOW will make the big time. Fergie's successful youngsters of the mid 90's (G.Neville, P.Neville, Beckham, Giggs, Scholes, Butt) was an incredible, but extremely rare phenomenon.

Like i say you just have to pay for the best talent now. And Tevez comes under this bracket. World class. Great vision, awareness, touch, finishing and has more heart than any other player in that Utd squad. You never see him give up on a lost cause. Ever.

There's not a successful team in the world nowadays who don't largely pay for it.

Hobo [filter edit] mates of mine used to say in the 2005/2006 season to me that we where buying success. My simple response was show me a team in the world that doesn't.

ps. I cant believe Jonathon Greening has a Champs League winners medal!! Beggars belief!

Ryan Gosling
Keane was signed from Forest so wasn't home grown. He may have actually pushed 1 of the home-grown players out the squad had he not been suspended.

Unfortunately thats football today. If you want success you have to pay for it. The only hope is that you add a few quality home-grown players every so often, but these guys aren't easy to come by. Who knows what 16 year is gonna turn into the next Christiano Ronaldo, Didier Drogba, Frank Lampard, Stevie Gerrard etc etc etc.

Players develop at different rates and its near impossible to have a big batch of youngsters from a very young age who you KNOW will make the big time. Fergie's successful youngsters of the mid 90's (G.Neville, P.Neville, Beckham, Giggs, Scholes, Butt) was an incredible, but extremely rare phenomenon.

Like i say you just have to pay for the best talent now. And Tevez comes under this bracket. World class. Great vision, awareness, touch, finishing and has more heart than any other player in that Utd squad. You never see him give up on a lost cause. Ever.

There's not a successful team in the world nowadays who don't largely pay for it.

Hobo [filter edit] mates of mine used to say in the 2005/2006 season to me that we where buying success. My simple response was show me a team in the world that doesn't.

ps. I cant believe Jonathon Greening has a Champs League winners medal!! Beggars belief!

I can't believe Wes Brown has two!!

There is no doubt Tevez is a quality player but I think ?32m is pretty steep.

They could get a lot better value elsewhere in my opinion.

There is no doubt Tevez is a quality player but I think ?32m is pretty steep.

They could get a lot better value elsewhere in my opinion.

To put it into perspective, it's ?35m that Chelsea are reported to be paying for Robinho.

Out of the two I know who I'd want in my team

To put it into perspective, it's ?35m that Chelsea are reported to be paying for Robinho.

Yeah I would much rather have Tevez in my team.

But with that money I would go for Karim Benzema.

loveofthegame

Tevez every single time

Yeah I would much rather have Tevez in my team.

But with that money I would go for Karim Benzema.

Benzema has stated he won't be leaving France or another couple of years.

Give it a season, then see what happens.

rudi must stay

can't agree with that. He saved them numerous times last season and actually scored more goals than Rooney. Great signing imo

we would never have to the top clubs man u and Chelsea have to pay a premium in most cases also don't forgot that as well as the football the commercial revenue man u can get of the back of a superstar player is astronomical

I'm not only having a dig at United - the problem is widespread and those other clubs you named have the same issues, I think it's no surprise that both Chelsea's & Liverpool's most influential players have been Terry & Lampard and Gerrard & Carragher who are home produced or players with local identity.

But anyway 3 of the home produced players in this years Man United team - Giggs Scholes & Brown were also in the 1999 squad and debuted in the early or mid nineties........this thread began about Tevez and how much they paid for him - I believe they paid a LOT LESS for some of their greatest players.

I think Man Utd are less focused on producing their own great players now compared to previously - but the same problem exists elsewhere - i think this is a shame and these teams have lost their way and lost some of their identity as a result.

Others may think differently. :)

Given your ardent support for our player recruitment pyramid scheme process, I find your comments on Manchester United losing their identity a bit surprising.

Anyway, on topic. I think Tevez lacks the pace to be truly top class. He played a big role in last year's excellent Manchester United team, but other players in that team were more important.

chester copperpot

I think the fact Man U have paid 32M for a player they had last season a very positive thing.

Well for the rest of the EPL that is. He was a great player for them, but at least they've had to pay for him and it limit's their spending for the rest of the year. Surely a good thing no. I'd have hated for them to have him again for a season and then signed Berbatov or someone else who would improve them.

Just my opinion though.

Archived