Glasgow Herald Does What The EEN Is Afraid To Do

hawaii

I like this line particularly.

"Messi was substituted at half-time, presumably for humanitarian reasons."

Guest juvehearts

Those who cling to the idea of football as working-class ballet or even as art form in its own right would have found substantial evidence to support their claim at Murrayfield last night. The home of Scottish rugby was the stage for the most enthralling of ensemble performances of the round ball game.

Ballet Barca came to festival city last night. A triumph, reports The Herald. There is a temptation to label this demolition of a willing, but limited, Hibernian side as a one-man show. It must be resisted. Lionel Messi was in fabulous form but his supporting cast was quietly but firmly impressive too.

The explanation for such a dynamic performance from the Catalans before July is out is simple. There was both a manager to impress and the prospect of an early entry into the Champions League with a third round qualifying tie.

If the latter is almost an insult to one of the greatest sides in the world, the former is a traditional incentive to excel for the professional football.

advertisement

Hibs were outclassed last night. But they were unlucky in one respect. Barcelona meant business. Pep Guardiola's first match as manager ensured there was no complacency in the Catalan ranks.

Several players were given a chance to impress. They did not stint in their efforts to do so. This was a Barca starting line-up stripped of Xavi, Andres Iniesta, Carles Puyol, Alexander Hleb, Bojan Krkic, Seydou Keita, Yaya Toure, Martin Caceres and Samuel Eto'o. The boys working a slight sweat on the Murrayfield turf early on knew that any opportunity to catch Guardiola's eye had to be taken.

This steely determination was matched by gentle but devastating technique. Messi was the maestro. His first touch suggests he has an airbag in his designer boots. His second, third and fourth touches sent Hibs on collision course with a hammering.

Barely half an hour had passed before the Scots were 4-0 down. The first goal came from a mistake by Hibs. In terms of self-destruction, this is akin to asking the Borgias to make one a cup of tea after a heated argument.

Chris Hogg was the offender, failing to cut out a cross ball from Daniel Alves. Eidur Gudjohnsen, playing in a central midfield role, strolled on to the ball to smack it past Andrew McNeil. Messi then stepped inside Hogg and Murray to curl the ball beautifully in the far corner. The Argentine genius then played a series of one-twos with Alves that were bewildering in their speed and certain in their purpose. The sequence allowed to Thierry Henry to play the ball back to the lurking Gudjohnsen, who bulleted the ball home of the sole of Hogg's boot. The way Barcelona were playing it was probably deliberate rather than a deflection.

Messi was drifting in-field with the menace of a large iceberg in crowded shipping lanes. A shuffle from his right-wing beat brought him into central midfield, where he curled a ball into the path of Pedro Rodriguez. The wide man finished splendidly.

There was a relative lull until half-time. It was interspersed with sparkling moments from Messi and just the semblance of a Hibs chance when Alan O'Brien closed down Alves, executed a smart first touch but waited just a micro-second before playing in Steven Fletcher. It was enough for Victor Valdes to gather the ball cleanly. It was also an indication of what separates the good from the very good.

Messi was substituted at half-time, presumably for humanitarian reasons. But Bojan Krkic was introduced. The sorcerer was thus replaced by his apprentice. Mini-Messi promptly banged one into the net, volleying home a cutback by Jeffren Suarez. There was to be no respite even though the Argentine conductor had left the podium. Yaya Toure slotted another Jeffren cross past McNeil. He had the grace to look apologetic about his almost unnecessarily cruel intervention.

The tide swept almost unabated towards the Hibs goal. The plethora of substitutions by Barcelona almost constituted a call-up for reinforcements. But this was never a battle, always a rout. There were moments of futile resistance by Hibs.

Fletcher, early in the second half, picked up a slick through ball, but his shot was straight at Pinto. The centre-forward then missed a great chance. Colin Nish found the Scottish internationalist with a clever, clipped pass but Fletcher ballooned the ball over the bar. The most generous explanation was that Fletcher did not want to get Barcelona angry.

There was little for the Hibs fans to rescue from the wreckage of such a result but Dean Shiels showed a quickness of feet and thought. The rest tried.

For Guardiola, this was no more than a training session. He was able to give most of his squad a decent kickabout. The cast was changed after the first act but, unfortunately for Hibs, the understudies kept to the script.

At the interval, a greeting message was sent out to a 10-year-old who was attending his first match. I trust he was not a Hibee or years of counselling lie ahead.

"At the interval, a greeting message was sent out to a 10-year-old who was attending his first match. I trust he was not a Hibee or years of counselling lie ahead." :rofl:

Guest JamboRobbo

quality :rofl: :rofl:

The most generous explanation was that Fletcher did not want to get Barcelona angry.

:laugh:

hearts_crazy

Come on Dundee Utd, get a better result than the hobs. That'd make my week

:)

I read the article without looking at the next post but already had that copied to put into mine it may well become my new signature.

rumbles1874

At the interval, a greeting message was sent out to a 10-year-old who was attending his first match. I trust he was not a Hibee or years of counselling lie ahead.

poor wee hobbo, how much do they think they get on the dole :107years::rofl::rofl::rofl::4_1_72:

"At the interval, a greeting message was sent out to a 10-year-old who was attending his first match. I trust he was not a Hibee or years of counselling lie ahead."

Do all hibees not need that?

Toxteth O'Grady

Hibs were outclassed last night.

His second, third and fourth touches sent Hibs on collision course with a hammering.

Barely half an hour had passed before the Scots were 4-0 down.

Yaya Toure slotted another Jeffren cross past McNeil. He had the grace to look apologetic about his almost unnecessarily cruel intervention.

The tide swept almost unabated towards the Hibs goal

There were moments of futile resistance by Hibs.

Fletcher ballooned the ball over the bar. The most generous explanation was that Fletcher did not want to get Barcelona angry.

There was little for the Hibs fans to rescue from the wreckage of such a result

:107years:

That was brilliant. i had al ugh when i read that:dribble::dribble:

I thought the Comedy Festival had started early. Hapless Hobo FC embarrassed themselves, their heroin-chic manky fans, and the town of Leith. :)

If Farmer and Petrie had even a smidgin of decency and self-respect they would close the club down.

I thought the Comedy Festival had started early. Hapless Hobo FC embarrassed themselves, their heroin-chic manky fans, and the town of Leith. :)

If Farmer and Petrie had even a smidgin of decency and self-respect they would close the club down.

They don't come from Leith...:mad:

Do all hibees not need that?

Only because there aren't enough bullets in the world.

letsmakesomenoise

My favourite was the last line:

"At the interval, a greeting message was sent out to a 10-year-old who was attending his first match. I trust he was not a Hibee or years of counselling lie ahead."

:107years:

Only because there aren't enough bullets in the world.

:wacko: are you implying there are alot of them... wouldn't take many bullets tbh! ;)

Archived