clampdown on illegal downloading

jambo-rocker

jambo-rocker

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/default.stm

what are everyone's thoughts about this

Personally i think they re wasting their time. Tens of Thousands of people are illegally downloading songs on limewire or torrents. I do for the reason that i can, if i have the option to get the song for free then i wont need to be told twice and that's the real problem. If they want to crack down on illegal downloading they should be targeting the sites that allow us to. Besides some people cant get a preview of songs before they can buy them anyway. At least with buying clothes, i have the option of returning them for my money back, however you get the option of getting refunds for songs on itunes.

Darth Sidious

I do not download music. I download TV shows. I can't afford SKY so I download Battlestar, 24, Prison Break and Lost, then there is House, Reaper, Chuck, Dexter which I would have to wait almost a year to watch otherwise.

How can they tell what you are downloading? Greedy musicians......I blame Coldplay, they are the root of all evil.

Dean Winchester

It's a waste of paper.

Seriously.... How many people actually download and really dont know that its illegal?

Jed The Jedi
I'm pretty sure that Carphone Warehouse own AOL UK[/quote

Just googled and your right, Bugger.

I download a lot of TV, a little music and a few movies.

As far as the music is concerned it's often stuff that I've bought in the past, on vinyl or cassette, or even on CD that I can't be bothered ripping to MP3 or making a copy of for the car, sometimes downloads come out better quality than rips and I hate ripping a CD, putting it on my MP3 player and then finding that it jumps and squeaks every 20 seconds.

It's still illegal though I suppose.

The music industry have had it too easy for too long. 20 years of buying CDs, and I have over 500 not to mention LPs and cassettes, probably over a 1,000 albums, that have been over priced from the start.

I bought my first CD in '88 maybe, it was ?10, this at a time when an LP would set you back ?5.50. LPs were more expensive to produce, but the music industry said CDs sounded better and never scratched and would last forever (all lies) and we all started buying them. Funny that when the profit margins were so much higher on CDs eh?

Pretty soon non chart CDs were ?14.99 or thereabouts so replacing all that old vinyl cost a pretty penny. My back catalogue of The Smiths, REM and U2 alone (don't start!) cost about ?200 to put together. All the while the record companies were coining it in, LPs became obsolete because your smart wee midi system (which sounded like two tin cans and a piece of string, but never mind) didn't play them so we were forced to buy CDs at vastly inflated prices.

Now everybody's got t'internet and CD burners and MP3 players and blank CDs are about tuppence each the tables have turned and they don't like it.

Tough! The fat cat music execs should get out and support live bands, promote live music, get folk out to gigs. They should do some work instead of moaning about reduced profit margins and teenagers filling their MP3 players with illegal downloads.

Take the music back!

I never taped stuff off the radio, not me, no sir, that Tony Blackburn never talked over the start and finish of songs and Bruno Brookes' Sunday night chart programme was never put on a C90...

As a wee footnote, it amuses me that on a Monday one of the most popular downloads on Mininova is the evening before's chart, somethings never change...

Say What Again
I download a lot of TV, a little music and a few movies.

As far as the music is concerned it's often stuff that I've bought in the past, on vinyl or cassette, or even on CD that I can't be bothered ripping to MP3 or making a copy of for the car, sometimes downloads come out better quality than rips and I hate ripping a CD, putting it on my MP3 player and then finding that it jumps and squeaks every 20 seconds.

It's still illegal though I suppose.

The music industry have had it too easy for too long. 20 years of buying CDs, and I have over 500 not to mention LPs and cassettes, probably over a 1,000 albums, that have been over priced from the start.

I bought my first CD in '88 maybe, it was ?10, this at a time when an LP would set you back ?5.50. LPs were more expensive to produce, but the music industry said CDs sounded better and never scratched and would last forever (all lies) and we all started buying them. Funny that when the profit margins were so much higher on CDs eh?

Pretty soon non chart CDs were ?14.99 or thereabouts so replacing all that old vinyl cost a pretty penny. My back catalogue of The Smiths, REM and U2 alone (don't start!) cost about ?200 to put together. All the while the record companies were coining it in, LPs became obsolete because your smart wee midi system (which sounded like two tin cans and a piece of string, but never mind) didn't play them so we were forced to buy CDs at vastly inflated prices.

Now everybody's got t'internet and CD burners and MP3 players and blank CDs are about tuppence each the tables have turned and they don't like it.

Tough! The fat cat music execs should get out and support live bands, promote live music, get folk out to gigs. They should do some work instead of moaning about reduced profit margins and teenagers filling their MP3 players with illegal downloads.

Take the music back!

Great post Doc.

Anyone know if newsgroups will fall under this clampdown or if its just torrents and such like? I find it hard to imagine how the BPI could obtain your ISP address from you downloading from newsgroups?

They're just sh*tting it with more bands going through myspace or offering their music from their own websites and cutting out labels that they are trying to hit downloaders instead of deciding to offer reasonably priced downloads that aren't tied to Apple.

If they offered singles at 10p or 20p and albums at ?1 with added bonuses and options to buy posters and other merchandise at point of sale most folk would go down that route than messing about on Limewire and risking viruses etc. But they don't as that's not enough cash for them.

They're only really going for uploaders though, they may say downloaders but it's the folk who leave their file sharing progs running and have all their music accessible by others. Simply download and switch off. Get the benefits from the free music and don't risk anyone snooping on yer PC and grabbing your details.

Plus, check out the Tor project, get yerself a lovely system that can be configured to bounce your IP around the world so nobody can track you.

Not only that, once it's installed get yourself over to Pandora.com and via http://www.zhongg.com/guides/how-to-listen-to-pandora-outside-us-with-5-simple-steps/ you can use Tor to listen to free music forever from all your fav bands and bands that have the same music genome as them.

Sorted :thumb:

As far as Im aware they cant detect whether you are downloading illegal content. They can only detect whether you are downloading from a server that has so called illegal content available. These companies are scare mongering in order to protect big business.

Anyone know if newsgroups will fall under this clampdown or if its just torrents and such like? I find it hard to imagine how the BPI could obtain your ISP address from you downloading from newsgroups?

Doubt it will work for newsgroups, anyone downloading a lot of stuff should look at something like PeerGuardian though! :)

Only people under threat are those who use p2p and to be perfectly honest i would be delighted if they managed to get rid of that pish.

The law can SMD.

The law doesn't usually get involved in that sort of thing directly, it leaves it up to your cell mate...

Archived