Csaba wants 4 more signings

Ryan Gosling

You're right of course, i rememeber him briefly at Sunderland although i'd have been about 12.

shaun.lawson
Colquhoun left for sunderland and millwall for 2 or 3 seasons before he came back for a decent swansong. :)

Here's the squad for 1991-92 when we finished runner up playing 3-4-3 formation.

http://www.londonhearts.com/scores/sea/1991-92.html

1 10.08.1991 Dunfermline Athletic away W2-1 4 2

2 13.08.1991 Airdrieonians away W3-2 4 4

3 17.08.1991 Rangers home W1-0 3 6

4 24.08.1991 St Johnstone away W1-0 2 8

5 31.08.1991 Hibernian home D0-0 2 9

6 07.09.1991 Motherwell home W2-0 1 11

7 14.09.1991 St Mirren away W3-2 1 13

8 21.09.1991 Dundee United home D1-1 1 14

9 28.09.1991 Falkirk away W2-1 1 16

10 05.10.1991 Celtic away L1-3 2 16

11 09.10.1991 Aberdeen home W1-0 1 18

12 12.10.1991 Dunfermline Athletic home W1-0 1 20

13 19.10.1991 Rangers away L0-2 2 20

14 26.10.1991 Motherwell away W1-0 2 22

15 30.10.1991 St Mirren home D0-0 2 23

16 02.11.1991 Hibernian away D1-1 1 24

17 09.11.1991 St Johnstone home W2-1 1 26

18 16.11.1991 Celtic home W3-1 1 28

19 20.11.1991 Aberdeen away W2-0 1 30

20 23.11.1991 Dundee United away W1-0 1 32

21 30.11.1991 Airdrieonians home W1-0 1 34

22 04.12.1991 Falkirk home D1-1 1 35

23 07.12.1991 Dunfermline Athletic away W2-0 1 37

24 14.12.1991 Motherwell home W3-1 1 39

25 21.12.1991 St Mirren away W1-0 1 41

26 28.12.1991 St Johnstone away W5-0 1 43

27 01.01.1992 Hibernian home D1-1 1 44

28 04.01.1992 Celtic away W2-1 1 46

Heck of a 28-game spell, that. If you think about it, this run wasn't far off what we did under Doddie for most of 85/6 - it's just that, over a 44-game season, we were bound to tire. Meanwhile, I know how heartbreaking getting knocked out by Airdrie was, and that the football under Jordan wasn't always exhilarating (!) - but I still can't get over our attendances near the end of 91/2. We were in a close race with Celtic for 2nd place, roughly comparable to the battle with Rangers in 05/6 - yet our gates were in four figures. Embarrassing!

Cut The Crap
Colquhoun left for sunderland and millwall for 2 or 3 seasons before he came back for a decent swansong. :)

Here's the squad for 1991-92 when we finished runner up playing 3-4-3 formation.

http://www.londonhearts.com/scores/sea/1991-92.html

That brings back a few memories.

It was all going swimmingly until we were inexplicably horsed 4-0 by Aberdeen at Tynecastle and then followed that up with a 2-1 reverse at Broomfield. We never really recovered...

Charlie-Brown
That brings back a few memories.

It was all going swimmingly until we were inexplicably horsed 4-0 by Aberdeen at Tynecastle and then followed that up with a 2-1 reverse at Broomfield. We never really recovered...

John Robertson got sent off within the first 15 minutes for elbowing big dirty b'stard Brian Irvine who'd been man-handling and fouling him - also Jess had a field day and scored a couple of crackers.

Cut The Crap
John Robertson got sent off within the first 15 minutes for elbowing big dirty b'stard Brian Irvine who'd been man-handling and fouling him - also Jess had a field day and scored a couple of crackers.

Don't remember a sending off at all. Do remember Jess and Booth playing very well.

shaun.lawson
Don't remember a sending off at all. Do remember Jess and Booth playing very well.

That's my recollection too. From our return to the Prem in '83 right through to the start of their decline a decade or so later, Aberdeen had a horrible habit of absolutely walloping us at times. We got one over on them every now and then, but they metered out some utter shellackings: with this just another in the collection. I stumbled across it on Youtube a while back - talk about a video nasty... :eek:

Charlie-Brown
That's my recollection too. From our return to the Prem in '83 right through to the start of their decline a decade or so later, Aberdeen had a horrible habit of absolutely walloping us at times. We got one over on them every now and then, but they metered out some utter shellackings: with this just another in the collection. I stumbled across it on Youtube a while back - talk about a video nasty... :eek:

What was the game Robbo & Brian Irvine were at each other hammer & tongs in the opening quarter hour? One or both got sent off - or maybe 1 got sent off and the other had to go off injured? It was a game at Tynie about that time / era.

shaun.lawson
What was the game Robbo & Brian Irvine were at each other hammer & tongs in the opening quarter hour? One or both got sent off - or maybe 1 got sent off and the other had to go off injured? It was a game at Tynie about that time / era.

A few months earlier. Good old London Hearts, eh? :)

http://www.londonhearts.com/scores/games/19910413.html

shaun.lawson
Cheers Shaun :) Well I knew Aberdeen had scored 4 against us. :(

Unfortunately, they seem to have done so with alarming regularity around that time... :( Indeed, I still recall both them and Dundee United being a major thorn in our side after JJ took over, even though both halves of the New Firm were increasingly rank. I don't think we truly nipped this in the bud until the "Windass - what's the score?" game at Tynie in August '97: prior to this, we'd always exhibited a strange sort of inferiority complex for some reason.

Charlie-Brown
Unfortunately, they seem to have done so with alarming regularity around that time... :( Indeed, I still recall both them and Dundee United being a major thorn in our side after JJ took over, even though both halves of the New Firm were increasingly rank. I don't think we truly nipped this in the bud until the "Windass - what's the score?" game at Tynie in August '97: prior to this, we'd always exhibited a strange sort of inferiority complex for some reason.

It was a funny time - we were well capable of beating either of them and did so fairly regularly however when they beat us they seemed to thump us and really rub our noses in it - I think we did have a bit of an 'inferiority' complex - not of them - but of ourselves - we hadn't won anything for 30+ years - they had won things in (fairly) recent seasons - whilst we were piling up one hampden misery after another in finals & semi's etc. - so much so that regularly finishing 2nd and 3rd in the SPL wasn't seen as the consistently high achievement that it actually was but instead as more failure.

shaun.lawson
It was a funny time - we were well capable of beating either of them and did so fairly regularly however when they beat us they seemed to thump us and really rub our noses in it - I think we did have a bit of an 'inferiority' complex - not of them - but of ourselves - we hadn't won anything for 30+ years - they had won things in (fairly) recent seasons - whilst we were piling up one hampden misery after another in finals & semi's etc. - so much so that regularly finishing 2nd and 3rd in the SPL wasn't seen as the consistently high achievement that it actually was but instead as more failure.

Yes. Even in the late 80s/early 90s, when we and Aberdeen seemed to take it in turns to be Celtic or Rangers' main challengers, it seems like there was always something more 'serious' about the Dons somehow, and they were probably treated as such by the media and OF players too? What really frustrated me was, after JJ got the job, we seemed absolutely ready to become the third force, yet first Aberdeen pipped us to 3rd, then United did, both with short-term, average teams that weren't really going anywhere, and head-to-head, they still seemed to have our number.

That Windass game I mentioned was a huge day: I knew we were for real after that match, and looking back, I don't think Aberdeen ever held anything like the same fears for us afterwards either. Winning 4-1 at Pittodrie in November only emphasised the psychological change over both teams. The pendulum had finally swung - and not before time!

Charlie-Brown
Yes. Even in the late 80s/early 90s, when we and Aberdeen seemed to take it in turns to be Celtic or Rangers' main challengers, it seems like there was always something more 'serious' about the Dons somehow, and they were probably treated as such by the media and OF players too? What really frustrated me was, after JJ got the job, we seemed absolutely ready to become the third force, yet first Aberdeen pipped us to 3rd, then United did, both with short-term, average teams that weren't really going anywhere, and head-to-head, they still seemed to have our number.

That Windass game I mentioned was a huge day: I knew we were for real after that match, and looking back, I don't think Aberdeen ever held anything like the same fears for us afterwards either. Winning 4-1 at Pittodrie in November only emphasised the psychological change over both teams. The pendulum had finally swung - and not before time!

Aberdeen had proved themselves capable of winning over several seasons (late 70's - early 90's) and changing teams & managers (A.McLeod, B.McNeil, A.Ferguson, A.Smith etc) - and even when they didn't ultimately win they were able to push to Old Firm right to the absolute limit in the SPL & Cups etc. - at that time though our aspirations exceeded our capabilities and a bit like Dundee United we had a reputation as big game 'bottlers' which we didn't put right until 1998 & then again 2006.

Not when he had us top of the league he didn't - however when he filled the squad with Mauchlen, Van de Ven, Preston, Baird and other huddies then yes it wasn't a great system - but for 6-7 months we were flying with that system and playing good football with McLaren McPherson Levein at the back - Mackay & McKinlay at wingbacks - Derek Ferguson pulling strings in midfield with Colquhoun, Robertson, Crabbe up front.....who else played midfield Berry?

Millar maybe.

Geoff Kilpatrick
Millar maybe.

George Wright (does a power!) also played in the middle. Scored against h**s IIRC to join the hall of fame, although that may have been the season before.

Not when he had us top of the league he didn't - however when he filled the squad with Mauchlen, Van de Ven, Preston, Baird and other huddies then yes it wasn't a great system - but for 6-7 months we were flying with that system and playing good football with McLaren McPherson Levein at the back - Mackay & McKinlay at wingbacks - Derek Ferguson pulling strings in midfield with Colquhoun, Robertson, Crabbe up front.....who else played midfield Berry?

John Millar?

Dagger Is Back

This would be a real tough call for me.

Basing decisions on last years performances I think we need an almost complete clear out. On the other hand it's clear that things behind the scenes were not at all healthy and who knows what a properly motivated and pulling together team of individuals could achieve.

Correct tactics, formation, a properly motivated team of fit players can achieve a helluva lot - you could have a group of superbly talented players but without the foregoing they'd be as much use as a ****** in a convent.

Remember watching that game from the Shed. Jess was totally and utterly brilliant that day.

We were excellent that season - but I remember feeling that the chance for the league went that day.

As for players required GK above is right

centre back, central midfielder, striker - all powerful players - are the key priorities. Left back cover and another striker or two also required. Have no idea if Obua is any good.

Guess The Crowd
John Millar?

It was indeed John Millar.

And the funny thing was, IIRC, that our best spell of the season came when Derek Ferguson was out for about 6 weeks, and George Wright played instead. A central midfield of Wright and Millar seemed uninspiring, but they did remarkably well.

I'll go first then

1. its the absolute minimum required.

2. if thats all he's signing it should be a solid centre half, a creative midfield player and a striker

Almost agree. I would rather have a competent right back than a centre half. NOT that I don't think we need a centre half....

I won't hold my breath mate.

The 5 man panel will no doubt consist of:

Andy Walker

Albert Kidd

Dougie McDonald

Sergei from hobos.net

Ewan Cameron

We'll no see him in a competitive match...............at least until Uncle Walter decides he wants him.

Not possible. How could he continue his posting spree if he leaves the house? That is if he is allowed to leave the "house" at will. ;)

Charlie-Brown
Not possible. How could he continue his posting spree if he leaves the house? That is if he is allowed to leave the "house" at will. ;)

Home-Office blackberry? he could use it scouting missions to companies house & Kaunas to gather latest info on the demise of Hearts, Ukio, UBIG, Romanov and Cala Homes. :)

I'll go first then

1. its the absolute minimum required.

I know our squad is not as good as it once was but it all comes down to what the current coach thinks. Maybe for Laslo this is the maximum he currently needs to get us playing well again.

Take Zaliukas as an example. He's been rightly vilified on here for his performances last season but I don't think that makes him a bad player. He was good the season before that amnd maybe Laslo sees he can turn him round again.

Guest JamboRobbo
Possible 25 man Squad :

Banks

New Goalie

MacDonald

Thomson

New Right Back

Karapidis

Berra

New Centre Half

McGowan

Rapnik

Wallace

Obua

Miko

New Right Midfielder

Ruben

New Holding Midfielder

Jonsson

Kingston

New Attacking Midfielder

Driver

New Left Midfielder

Glen

Nade

New Striker

New Striker

9 players from the Youth Academy in the squad is a very impressive ratio.

And if we're being honest would we really miss any of the 9 players i listed earlier :

Neilson

Zaliukas

Stewart

Aguiar

No.28

Ksanavicius

Chesnauskas

Makela

Elliot

You could also add Beslia to that list.

I like very much. Get rid of the ****e, keep the decent players and promising youngsters. Not sure how Nade stayed though unless he's lost a few stone in the past week.

Seymour M Hersh
1. Is that enough ?

2. What positions does he think need filling as a priority

Discuss.

You'll have to ask the man yourself.

Seymour M Hersh
At this stage, I'm happy with any signing who improves the quality of the squad to be honest.

Remember too that a couple of quality players in the right positions (probably RM and striker) could help us onto the front foot in many games and release the sort of pressure that forced too many mistakes from our defenders last season.

We all remember Rudi's contribution three years ago. But players like Neilson, MacFarlane, McAllister, Mikoliunas, and Elliot all played in the the side that topped the league until November.

Of course, we've taken a step change downwards in quality throughout the squad since then, but still I don't believe we're much more than a couple of creative players and a bit of discipline and organisation short of competing with the likes of Motherwell, Dundee United or Aberdeen in the top half of the table.

Good post CTC I agree whole heartedly with you. I think we can compete with them far better just by having a manager in sole charge of selection, coaching, discipline and tactics . Add some quality players to the mix and it could be good. For me I'd like a quality right back (the right side has been our achiles heel even under Burley imo), and experienced quick centre half and a seriously quick forward with a proven track record.

You could probably count on one hand the amount of times they actually played together as a 5.

Besides......

Rudi was not an out and out winger and Hartley had the work rate of 5 Kingstons.

It was also relatively clear that Burley's preference was for a right sided mid-fielder rather than a winger (well rather than Miko) hence Sammy's little run in the team.

Mind you we should always remember that this is the SPL we are talking about.

I'm not sure we should be overly concerned by a attack minded team, when so few teams either take the game on the front foot themselves, or even when they try are that good at it

Buffalo Bill

If Rapnik and McGowan made the step up (and they should), then there's two very good young players to add to the squad.

Add another four and I think we'll be ok.

But the new signings I'm most looking forward to are 'effort' and 'togetherness'. I heard both can make a real difference.

Buffalo Bill

Guest JamboRobbo
If Rapnik and McGowan made the step up (and they should), then there's two very good young players to add to the squad.

Add another four and I think we'll be ok.

But the new signings I'm most looking forward to are 'effort' and 'togetherness'. I heard both can make a real difference.

Buffalo Bill

I hope you are right. But unless the 4 are top notch, and form a spine to the team which is completely missing (GK,CH,CM,CF), then I think we are kidding ourselves.

Toxteth O'Grady
I hope you are right. But unless the 4 are top notch, and form a spine to the team which is completely missing (GK,CH,CM,CF), then I think we are kidding ourselves.

That's about my thoughts really.

These "4" would have to be very solid signings who play week in week out

If i'm being honest you are probably right but we don't really know what Csaba can do until we see his first few competitive players in action.

He's unlikely to be a miracle worker but he may see something in some of the current duds and surprise us all. I'd like him to turn Zaliukas into the player he was 2 seasons ago and I'd like him to get Nade on weightwatchers and find the player that's in there somewhere.

But like I said he's probably not a miracle worker.

I won't hold my breath mate.

The 5 man panel will no doubt consist of:

Andy Walker

Albert Kidd

Dougie McDonald

Sergei from hobos.net

Ewan Cameron

We'll no see him in a competitive match...............at least until Uncle Walter decides he wants him.

But I thought there was only meant to be two people who no nothing about foorball.;)

If i'm being honest you are probably right but we don't really know what Csaba can do until we see his first few competitive players in action.

He's unlikely to be a miracle worker but he may see something in some of the current duds and surprise us all. I'd like him to turn Zaliukas into the player he was 2 seasons ago and I'd like him to get Nade on weightwatchers and find the player that's in there somewhere.

But like I said he's probably not a miracle worker.

He strikes me as being a very similar type to Mowbray and whatever we think about old Monkey - Heid I think most people would agree that he was a good manager for the Hobos.

Admittedly he had probably their best lot of players but he had then working well as a team and was always positive just like Csaba.

I would agree with those posters who have said 4 would be probably enough.

Goalkeeper

Right back

Attacking Midfielder

Striker

I think as a minimum I would like to see the attacking midfielder and striker.

Although Kingston could probably do a decent job as an attacking midfielder I would have serious concerns over playing him centrally in a 442 based on his workrate. Ok going forward but the other central midfielder would have a huge amount to do defensivly and in terms of ball winning.

Carl Spackler
1) I said 6 when he was appointed. We've signed Obua so 4 more would be close.

2) Goalie, right back, attacking midfielder, goalscorer

Agree.

As for CBs Karipidis and Berra are fine there for me.

Guest jambomickey
Rapnik, McGowan, Husband and Glen can improve the team in different areas. Just my opinion though.

I think there could be a place for Templeton but I'm just not sure where.

agree with the 5 names you've mentioned!

Norfolk and Chance

Buffalo Bill

Sounds a touch like Ned Flanders speak;);)

Captain Lithuania
I'm happy with tonights result, but Shabba's comments show that he knows that squad is needing an overhaul. Looking at the players we had out, some of them are just so below average, we can't afford to carry these players any longer. I think Shabba will sort it out, pity he's not got a lot of time to do it, but it'll come good eventually I reckon.

In Csaba We Trust.

NT.

It was a regional side, it's like our third division.

I reckon four more signings will be the absolute minimum. Getting more in will depend on who leaves.

If one is a 'keeper then I would hope that at least one is a striker and then the other two could be between right-back, centre-back, attacking mid, winger or another striker.

It was a regional side, it's like our third division.

I'd be happy beating a third division outfit 6-0 anytime. Not that I'm getting too carried away with last night's result but it did sound as if the players "enjoyed" themselves which is a huge leap forward.

Let's hope the feelgood factor continues.

Disser Pointon
Think Shabba wants to play a 4-4-2 Diamond, or 4-1-3-2, and I think Larry could play that role.

I'm intrigued as to Templeton's role with the team, because no one really expected him to be involved this pre-season. He's got the physique of the speedy winger, but he's two footed, and prefers the centre-forward role.

Anyway, I'd go for:

New goalie

New RB -- Karipidis -- Berra -- Obua

Jonsson

Miko/Ches/Temps/New RW ------- Kingston ------- Driver

Glen -- New Striker

Thats not far away from what I'd pick

If we are to sign four players Id take a goalie, defender, possibly play right back but could be used as centre back too. Also two strikers.

I think we are covered in midfield. Right; Miko and Chesny, Centre; Larry, Ruben, Stewart, Jonsson, Aguiar. Left; Driver, the wee man, Husband.

It was indeed John Millar.

And the funny thing was, IIRC, that our best spell of the season came when Derek Ferguson was out for about 6 weeks, and George Wright played instead. A central midfield of Wright and Millar seemed uninspiring, but they did remarkably well.

TBH, I wasn't a great fan of Derek Ferguson, was anonymous in too many games for my liking.

Archived