Csaba wants 4 more signings

Ryan Gosling

Ryan Gosling

Last night's match was watched by Vladimir Romanov, chairman of Hearts' majority shareholder UBIG and his son and club chairman Roman Romanov. The manager is set to discuss possible signing options over the next few days with a view to next season.

"I hope that as soon as possible we can take a goalkeeper and maybe two or three players and then the team will be ready for the first league game," Csaba added.

:)

Only a Game
Last night's match was watched by Vladimir Romanov, chairman of Hearts' majority shareholder UBIG and his son and club chairman Roman Romanov. The manager is set to discuss possible signing options over the next few days with a view to next season.

"I hope that as soon as possible we can take a goalkeeper and maybe two or three players and then the team will be ready for the first league game," Csaba added.

1. Is that enough ?

2. What positions does he think need filling as a priority

Discuss.

Only a Game

I'll go first then

1. its the absolute minimum required.

2. if thats all he's signing it should be a solid centre half, a creative midfield player and a striker

chester copperpot

You could've left him out, no one would've noticed. He know's nothing about nothing, let alone fitba.

Nelly Terraces

I'm happy with tonights result, but Shabba's comments show that he knows that squad is needing an overhaul. Looking at the players we had out, some of them are just so below average, we can't afford to carry these players any longer. I think Shabba will sort it out, pity he's not got a lot of time to do it, but it'll come good eventually I reckon.

In Csaba We Trust.

NT.

Ryan Gosling

1) I said 6 when he was appointed. We've signed Obua so 4 more would be close.

2) Goalie, right back, attacking midfielder, goalscorer

I'll go first then

2. if thats all he's signing it should be a solid centre half, a creative midfield player and a striker

Agree with both points.

A right back would be nice as well.

Norfolk and Chance
1. Is that enough ?

2. What positions does he think need filling as a priority

Discuss.

I'll go first then

1 I agree but perhaps he doesn't want too large an influx if he's fostering a spirit in the squad?

2. I would prioritise Striker, Centre back and Right back at the moment

We've signed Obua

I won't hold my breath mate.

The 5 man panel will no doubt consist of:

Andy Walker

Albert Kidd

Dougie McDonald

Sergei from hobos.net

Ewan Cameron

We'll no see him in a competitive match...............at least until Uncle Walter decides he wants him.

Ryan Gosling

Think Csaba might feel a) we have enough centre halves and B) it would be bad for Rapnik and McGowan's progress to have another block in their way.

I won't hold my breath mate.

The 5 man panel will no doubt consist of:

Andy Walker

Albert Kidd

Dougie McDonald

Sergei from hobos.net

Ewan Cameron

We'll no see him in a competitive match...............at least until Uncle Walter decides he wants him.

:rofl:

Destruction Derby

From what i have read it looks like Kingston was playing in our attacking midfield role. I recogn he could do the job for us in that role so maybe wont be looking for a player in this position.

chester copperpot
Think Csaba might feel a) we have enough centre halves and B) it would be bad for Rapnik and McGowan's progress to have another block in their way.

Either should play before Zaliuseless. Whether they do or not is another question. I agree with the sentiment though.

From what i have read it looks like Kingston was playing in our attacking midfield role. I recogn he could do the job for us in that role so maybe wont be looking for a player in this position.

I agree. Kingston is a superb player through the middle, and if Csaba gets him firing on all cylinders, then we don't need anyone else in that role.

Priority positions for me are striker, another striker, a centre half and a right winger.

In order of priority: Striker; Goalkeeper; Attacking Midfielder; Right back

Goalkeeper

Right back Karipidis Berra Obua

Kingston Attacking Mid Jonsson Driver

Striker Glen/Makela

Obua can be used across the midfield as well.

Cut The Crap
A Goalie and 3 outfield players is not enough.

At this stage, I'm happy with any signing who improves the quality of the squad to be honest.

Remember too that a couple of quality players in the right positions (probably RM and striker) could help us onto the front foot in many games and release the sort of pressure that forced too many mistakes from our defenders last season.

We all remember Rudi's contribution three years ago. But players like Neilson, MacFarlane, McAllister, Mikoliunas, and Elliot all played in the the side that topped the league until November.

Of course, we've taken a step change downwards in quality throughout the squad since then, but still I don't believe we're much more than a couple of creative players and a bit of discipline and organisation short of competing with the likes of Motherwell, Dundee United or Aberdeen in the top half of the table.

Drylaw Hearts

We need :

Goalie

Right Back

Centre Half

Right Midfielder

Holding Midfielder

Attacking Midfielder

Left Midfielder

Striker

Striker

Available to leave :

Neilson

Zaliukas

Stewart

Aguiar

No.28

Ksanavicius

Chesnauskas

Makela

Elliot

9 in and 9 out.

Ryan Gosling

Think Shabba wants to play a 4-4-2 Diamond, or 4-1-3-2, and I think Larry could play that role.

I'm intrigued as to Templeton's role with the team, because no one really expected him to be involved this pre-season. He's got the physique of the speedy winger, but he's two footed, and prefers the centre-forward role.

Anyway, I'd go for:

New goalie

New RB -- Karipidis -- Berra -- Obua

Jonsson

Miko/Ches/Temps/New RW ------- Kingston ------- Driver

Glen -- New Striker

Ryan Gosling
We need :

Goalie

Right Back

Centre Half

Right Midfielder

Holding Midfielder

Attacking Midfielder

Left Midfielder

Striker

Striker

Available to leave :

Neilson

Zaliukas

Stewart

Aguiar

No.28

Ksanavicius

Chesnauskas

Makela

Elliot

9 in and 9 out.

What about some of the youth players though?

IMO we need:

Goalkeeper

Right-Back

Central Defender

Striker(Proven Goalscorer)

We have signed David Obua, who can play right down the left side of the team, which was a concern for me apart from Driver.

I think IF we can get decent quality players for the above positions, we will be ready for the new season, and under Csaba's guidance, I think we could do well, very well, better than a lot of people think.

I know that a lot of fans would like wholesale changes, but we have to be realistic, that takes time and unfortunately more than 2/3 weeks.

Drylaw Hearts
Think Shabba wants to play a 4-4-2 Diamond, or 4-1-3-2, and I think Larry could play that role.

I'm intrigued as to Templeton's role with the team, because no one really expected him to be involved this pre-season. He's got the physique of the speedy winger, but he's two footed, and prefers the centre-forward role.

Anyway, I'd go for:

New goalie

New RB -- Karipidis -- Berra -- Obua

Jonsson

Miko/Ches/Temps/New RW ------- Kingston ------- Driver

Glen -- New Striker

Playing a team with 2 strikers an attacking midfielder and 2 out and out wingers is a recipe for disaster.

Ossie Ardiles springs to mind.

Playing a team with 2 strikers an attacking midfielder and 2 out and out wingers is a recipe for disaster.

Miko

Rudi

Hartley

Janny

Bednar

Worked ok 3 years ago.

Drylaw Hearts
What about some of the youth players though?

We would be swapping 9 current First Teamers for 9 new ones.

We've lost 4 or 5 other players this year already so the squad is still light and there is room for a few youth players to bulk up the squad - if they are good enough.

How many Youths do you see making us a better team this Season ?

Charlie-Brown

Not if you go 3 at the back DH with an extra defensive / sitting midfielder - 3-2-3-2 (ie Barcelona) :)

Ryan Gosling
We would be swapping 9 current First Teamers for 9 new ones.

We've lost 4 or 5 other players this year already so the squad is still light and there is room for a few youth players to bulk up the squad - if they are good enough.

How many Youths do you see making us a better team this Season ?

Not if you go 3 at the back DH with an extra defensive / sitting midfielder - 3-2-3-2 (ie Barcelona) :)

Also, not if you have a settled defence (back 4) with decent full backs and a ball winning midfielder of quality who gives the defence a lot of cover.

Drylaw Hearts
Miko

Rudi

Hartley

Janny

Bednar

Worked ok 3 years ago.

You could probably count on one hand the amount of times they actually played together as a 5.

Besides......

Rudi was not an out and out winger and Hartley had the work rate of 5 Kingstons.

Charlie-Brown
Also, not if you have a settled defence with decent full backs and a ball winning midfielder of quality who gives the defence a lot of cover.

Correct - you have 5 primarily defensive players and 5 primarily attacking players - ie a balanced team. :)

Drylaw Hearts

Never been a fan of 3 at the back.

I think Joe Jordan tarnished that system forever in my eyes.

You could probably count on one hand the amount of times they actually played together as a 5.

Besides......

Rudi was not an out and out winger and Hartley had the work rate of 5 Kingstons.

I'd say Rudi was a winger, the way he played for us.

You're right about Larry / Hartley but hopefully that's going to change.

Whilst it is good to speculate we need to do so with heads not heart.

He has yet to see Nade, Neilson, Beslija train yet alone play -- if we discount those 3 (plus Basso) then we still need to release/sell/get rid off -- however you describe it --another 4 players at least.

From those overseas who would you move on ? -- bearing in mind need for certain players in certain positions.

And of course what positions need filled ? -- the obvious 2 are Goalkeeper and Striker (with presence) -- after that then it is down to opinion and we all know some will say right back and attacking midfielder, some will say central defender and right midfield -- if Robbie went then right back would be a priority.

I think we need to be ruthless with the cull -- this manager prob has the best chance in the last 2 years to convince Vlad that some have to go -- this means moving on some players who some will say are 'not bad' and it means some may come back to haunt us -- but we have to create room for youth and then we can truly judge the early fruit from the academy.

Cut The Crap

Interesting. What are their names and which current first-team players will they replace?

Ryan Gosling
Which ones ?

Rapnik, McGowan, Husband and Glen can improve the team in different areas. Just my opinion though.

I think there could be a place for Templeton but I'm just not sure where.

Charlie-Brown
Never been a fan of 3 at the back.

I think Joe Jordan tarnished that system forever in my eyes.

Not when he had us top of the league he didn't - however when he filled the squad with Mauchlen, Van de Ven, Preston, Baird and other huddies then yes it wasn't a great system - but for 6-7 months we were flying with that system and playing good football with McLaren McPherson Levein at the back - Mackay & McKinlay at wingbacks - Derek Ferguson pulling strings in midfield with Colquhoun, Robertson, Crabbe up front.....who else played midfield Berry?

Not when he had us top of the league he didn't - however when he filled the squad with Mauchlen, Van de Ven, Preston, Baird and other huddies then yes it wasn't a great system - but for 6-7 months we were flying with that system and playing good football with McLaren McPherson Levein at the back - Mackay & McKinlay at wingbacks - Derek Ferguson pulling strings in midfield with Colquhoun, Robertson, Crabbe up front.....who else played midfield Berry?

Pretty good team that actually.

The key being the three top quality centre halves. McLaren and Levein were quality and McPherson, on his day, could be inspirational. We don't have that quality of defender any more. Maybe with Pressley and Webster of 3 years ago and Berra of now.

Geoff Kilpatrick

We need players in the spine of the team. I'm not as bothered about the keeper and right back positions as the players there are reasonable enough for our expectations for this season. We need a commanding central midfield player above all else to play alongside Jonsson and be the captain. Two strikers are also required if Nade isn't going to screw the nut (Nade has the ability but has a Simmons-esque attitude). Finally, a no nonsense centre half to play alongside Berra.

Get those players in and we'll be fighting for a European place.

Drylaw Hearts

Possible 25 man Squad :

Banks

New Goalie

MacDonald

Thomson

New Right Back

Karapidis

Berra

New Centre Half

McGowan

Rapnik

Wallace

Obua

Miko

New Right Midfielder

Ruben

New Holding Midfielder

Jonsson

Kingston

New Attacking Midfielder

Driver

New Left Midfielder

Glen

Nade

New Striker

New Striker

9 players from the Youth Academy in the squad is a very impressive ratio.

And if we're being honest would we really miss any of the 9 players i listed earlier :

Neilson

Zaliukas

Stewart

Aguiar

No.28

Ksanavicius

Chesnauskas

Makela

Elliot

You could also add Beslia to that list.

Charlie-Brown
Which ones ?

I'd say our most promising youngsters are:

glen, mcgowan, husband & j.macdonald - could get regular squad / subs places in the next 6 months

templeton, rapnik, brown, visconte, j.stewart - as above but over 6-18 months period

balatoni, robinson, d.thomson, woods & delands - as above but over 12-24 months period - these ones are the youngest

of course not all of them will make it - but a fair percentage will and others will emerge or improve and could overtake some I listed.

Ryan Gosling
Possible 25 man Squad :

Banks

New Goalie

MacDonald

Thomson

New Right Back

Karapidis

Berra

New Centre Half

McGowan

Rapnik

Wallace

Obua

Miko

New Right Midfielder

Ruben

New Holding Midfielder

Jonsson

Kingston

New Attacking Midfielder

Driver

New Left Midfielder

Glen

Nade

New Striker

New Striker

9 players from the Youth Academy in the squad is a very impressive ratio.

And if we're being honest would we really miss any of the 9 players i listed earlier :

Neilson

Zaliukas

Stewart

Aguiar

No.28

Ksanavicius

Chesnauskas

Makela

Elliot

You could also add Beslia to that list.

You left out Jamie Goal.

:P

Cut The Crap

Colquhoun would have been gone by then surely? Baird was the third striker, helped out by Ian Ferguson. It was quite often McLaren who held the midfield (Berry had a bad injury that kept him out for the season I seem to remember). Graeme Hogg played in the three.

Colquhoun would have been gone by then surely? Baird was the third striker, helped out by Ian Ferguson. It was quite often McLaren who held the midfield (Berry had a bad injury that kept him out for the season I seem to remember). Graeme Hogg played in the three.

Colquhoun was still playing under JJ so he must have been still there.

Cut The Crap
Colquhoun was still playing under JJ so he must have been still there.

He left and came back.

Millwall in 1991, Sunderland in 1992, back to Hearts 1993. (Thanks, LondonHearts).

Archived