Anyone ever coached in the USA

coach

mulling over an offer to coach in the USA

good money, and a 1 ticket.

east coast, Ohio.

i know a few lads who used to play for Gorgie Hearts were over there doing something similar.

it is a good life over there, whats the level like etc ?

Coach

Get yourself away from here for a while it will do you the world of good wether it be coaching football or working in a call centre in Oz. It will be the time of your life and it will make you appreciate home much more/less....you'll know what I mean once you've done it!

jackjambo22

east coast, Ohio.

i know a few lads who used to play for Gorgie Hearts were over there doing something similar.

Coach

Definitely

Chance in a lifetime

I dont know your domestic situation as i'm sure that would have a bearing on your decision ,as would your day job

But if they dont play an important part as such, jump at the chance, i'm sure :)you'd have a ball

I am currently in Dallas been here for 6 weeks.

Went to see a soccer game(getting used to it)

I love the states, standard of football is pretty mediocre.

I would defo recomend coming accross here.

I haven't coached, but I know several people who have. By and large, most of them have good things to say about it. Many have ended up marrying local lasses and consequently stayed out here. As Nino says, Ohio is in the Midwest and is possibly not the most exciting part of the US but cost of living is fairly low (I hazily remember $2 beers in Columbus, OH). You should probably expect to be coaching kids (5 - 15) if you're doing the same thing my friends did. I'd say go for it.

flogelisgod

Shaun, would have to say that with America and football coaching, you would also have to lead by example so you would have to show some of the moves etc :) (this is from my mates that have done all the Bunac and stuff like that)

Not saying you wont be able to do it but itll be hard work bud.

Shaun, would have to say that with America and football coaching, you would also have to lead by example so you would have to show some of the moves etc :) (this is from my mates that have done all the Bunac and stuff like that)

Not saying you wont be able to do it but itll be hard work bud.

totaly aware...

its a 2 year plan

Where in Ohio?

unsure as yet.

as i have friends there, i have asked to be placed there if possible.

scott_jambo

east coast, Ohio.

Coach

I was offered to play Div 2 college Soccer in the USA for Pfieffer University in the east coast, but it was not a full scholarship and so couldnt afford to pay the money myself.

Therefore the quality cant be that good :P

Are they asking you to coach a college team or is it semi pro or amatuer?

The east coast is huge, its the equivalent of asking if football in Scotland is good or not while not telling us if its Rangers your coaching or a 5 a side team.

Is Ohio on the coast even? My geography isnt the best.

Been here for 31+ years. Don't coach now, but did for a number of years.

Get yir erky ower and make of it what you can.

$$$$$:dribble:

Youth Soccer levels are now much higher in the US than Scotland. Currently the standard tends to slip at college level due to poor coaching. This is changing.

The Dallas cup is one of the best soccer tournaments in the world, with top teams from around the world taking part. have a look at :- http://www.dallascup.com

Liverpool beat Tigres from Mexico in the U19 final. Other top teams taking part include :-

Eintracht Frankfurt, CD Guadalajara,Sport Lisboa e Benfica, ** Slavija, Ryutsu Keizai Kashiwa,Leicester City ,Sao Paulo FC and Southhampton.

Style of play is very different, more of a latino style rather than european.

You might also find the following website interesting.

http://www.norcalpremier.com/component/option,com_frontpage/Itemid,1/

Gives you a good idea of how one of the top youth leagues operates.

If you are interested in more information let me know.

east coast, Ohio.

Coach

All depends mate, I'm working for the New York Red Bulls (MLS team) just now as a "trainer" which basically means I'm a community coach. The level can be anything between absolute basics to decent high school teams that I coach. I generally work 6 or 7 days a week so not the best for getting days off but you only work a few hours a day.

pm me if you want more info as I have some inside info on 1 or 2 of the companies over here that you would want to know before coming over.

Out of interest, how did you get the offer to do the coaching in the US? I presume you need to have a decent level of SFA coaching badges?

unsure as yet.

as i have friends there, i have asked to be placed there if possible.

I don't know where your friends are but, Ohio, by and large, is a ***** hole. (I spent three years in Columbus, Ohio for school; I'm still trying to recover.)

If you have flexibility with respect to placement, I'd aim for California. Why?

A) It's not Ohio and B) I understand that the level of youth development is better out there (of course, developmemnt varies by region/city/even neighborhood.

john brownlee

east coast, Ohio.

Coach

go for it coach

I taught US kids and it was fun not footi but Art and photography it was great fun

If your not confident, go for a summer school to start with, if you don't like it you have lost nothing there at plenty that will take you on but I feel you might be a bit late for it this year. My advice to anybody regards their skills occupation or whatever if you what to try something go for the summer schools in the USA they are crying out for Brits.

You will never regret it you will remember the experience and if anything it will improve your life skills

john brownlee

Meant to add the first thing I taught my students was the Hearts song we even won a prize of ice cream for the whole class and believe me thats a lot of ice cream

go for it coach This is a wasted country ruined by greedy politics.

alwaysthereinspirit

I've coached over here for nearly 20 years. Mostly city travelling teams. Mostly girls because of my own daughters. The skill levels have improved dramatically since I first moved over here.

The whole thing is different than at home. Boosters (parents) do tons of stuff to help raise money for trips to tournaments. Car washes, yard clean ups and the likes. All the money goes to pay for hotels, buses and new kits.

Practice your keepie uppie before you come over. They'll think your a superstar. Oh and always bring 1/4 cut oranges for half time, none of the other sports coaches do that for the kids. The kids love it. Good luck.

Legend Claws

Depends who you are going to be employed by mate? Also you will have to be fit as a fiddle (no offense intened) as they need you to be a complete role model to the kids. I had a ball over there and the kids are very eager to learn, I coached from 5 years old right up to grown men of 21. The older guys are really impressive athletes and you would be expected to keep up with them. The standard of coach is pretty high at college level especially when it comes to fitness however the coaches at school level are pretty poor in my experience.

Good move for you and the family for sure the boys would love it.

east coast, Ohio.

Coach

Coach

Ive been in the states for over 20 years I have had 2 mates come and join me and they coached. Most of my mates in Houston are coaches and the money is good starting out. If you do come over make sure you take all the coaching badges you can as this will help you advance.

I took the chance when I was 20 years old and have never looked back.

Good Luck Mate

I don't know where your friends are but, Ohio, by and large, is a ***** hole. (I spent three years in Columbus, Ohio for school; I'm still trying to recover.)

If you have flexibility with respect to placement, I'd aim for California. Why?

A) It's not Ohio and B) I understand that the level of youth development is better out there (of course, developmemnt varies by region/city/even neighborhood.

Second that! My son Calum's coach came over here attached to MLS. Married a local girl and is now setting up his own football school. Main thrust for juniors starting out is AYSO - standard is pretty poor as all teams are mixed ability. Junior club football is growing massively though and the standard is improving every season. There are a lot of Brit coaches over here now.

Archived