Todays best news story

Dr. Bapswent

Dr. Bapswent

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7520401.stm

Campaigner 'glues himself to PM'

Gordon Brown and Dan Glass

Mr Glass grabbed a grinning Gordon Brown by his sleeve

A campaigner against Heathrow Airport's third runway has attempted to glue himself to Gordon Brown at a Downing Street reception.

Dan Glass, a member of Plane Stupid, was about to receive an award from the prime minister when he stuck out his superglued hand and touched his sleeve.

Plane Stupid says Mr Glass, from north London, then "glued his hand" to Mr Brown's jacket as he shook his hand.

But Downing Street said there had been "no stickiness of any significance".

'Stick to promises'

Plane Stupid recently gained publicity by mounting a protest on the roof of Parliament.

Spokesman Graham Thompson said Mr Glass - a 24-year-old post-graduate student at Strathclyde University - had smuggled a small amount of glue through Downing Street security checks in his underwear at about 1700 BST.

He met the prime minister during the reception at about 1830 BST.

He was just grinning about it. He didn't seem to take me seriously

Dan Glass, protester

Mr Thompson said his organisation was attempting to make Mr Brown "stick to his environmental promises".

Downing Street confirmed an exchange had taken place but denied that Mr Glass had glued himself to the prime minister.

"There may have been something sticky on his hands but it was only for a few seconds that he touched the prime minister," a spokesman said. "There was no stickiness of any significance."

He added: "This was certainly not seen as a serious protest. It was very light-hearted. This was not a serious incident."

'It really hurt'

Speaking afterwards, Mr Glass said: "My left hand was covered in superglue and I stuck it to his sleeve.

"I just glued myself to him and after 20 seconds he tore my hand off - it really hurt. He had to give it a couple of tugs before it came away.

"He was just grinning about it. He didn't seem to take me seriously."

After the incident Mr Glass was allowed to stay in Downing Street for 40 minutes.

When he left the building he tried to glue himself to the gates of Downing Street but had his hand detached by a police officer.

"I didn't have much glue left by that point," he said.

Mr Glass was invited to Downing Street to receive an award from the Sheila McKechnie Foundation for his protesting work with Plane Stupid.

The Metropolitan Police said there had been no breach of security.

Mods, can we make this a sticky?

Haha quality. Personally I prefer the story that this pic relates too...

batman_thumb.jpg

Battered by Batman! Id take that.

(apologies for making light of domestic abuse)

Kapow!

When he left the building he tried to glue himself to the gates of Downing Street but had his hand detached by a police officer.

A tad severe no..??........:eek:

Archived