Bank Loan

kearney19

Im considering taking out a bank loan today as Ive moved into a flat.

Just would like to know the implications of a loan and is it best to get one?

Walter Payton

You're going to get the usual range of responses on here to this question, but nobody can seriously answer your "is it best to get one" question without knowing your personal circumstances- if anybody tries, they're in serious danger of doing you a massive disservice. The only people you should be talking to about this should people who know about finance and your personal situation- ideally speak to a financial advisor.

The Real Maroonblood
You're going to get the usual range of responses on here to this question, but nobody can seriously answer your "is it best to get one" question without knowing your personal circumstances- if anybody tries, they're in serious danger of doing you a massive disservice. The only people you should be talking to about this should people who know about finance and your personal situation- ideally speak to a financial advisor.

Maybe the person needs a loan to hire a Financial Advisor.

Thanks for that, going into the bank today to see what my best options are :)

A loan? Coppercrutch is coming to get you!! :eek:

I got a loan to tide me over when i moved into my flat, no harm done, as long as you can afford the monthly repayments.

Thanks for that, going into the bank today to see what my best options are :)

Your bank may not have the best rates. I would have a look online. Last time I got a loan the best rates were tesco, alliance and leicester and abbey national.

Implications are that you pay much more than you borrow and, obviously, no, it's not best to get one. It's best to save money and pay for things that way.

Implications are that you pay much more than you borrow and, obviously, no, it's not best to get one. It's best to save money and pay for things that way.

It's not always practical though. Ideally it would be better for me to save up and buy a house outright without needing a mortgage but its just not feasable.

Arnold Rothstein
It's not always practical though. Ideally it would be better for me to save up and buy a house outright without needing a mortgage but its just not feasable.

Not really a fair comparison. If you have a mortgage then you have a house to borrow against. If you have a loan you could quite easily **** it up against a wall.

What are you planning to buy?

How much are you looking for?

Perhaps a 0% credit card for 9-12 months then balance transfer if you don't get it paid off in the period would be a more sensible option?

Surely, especially for someone your age, staying debt free for as long as possible would be the best option?

coppercrutch

As has been already said your circumstances will define what the best plan is. Without knowing them advice is not really worthwhile.

However I can tell you this - if you have just bought a house (Debt) and are going to get another loan (Debt), because you can't actually afford the first debt.................well..:eek:

As has been already said your circumstances will define what the best plan is. Without knowing them advice is not really worthwhile.

However I can tell you this - if you have just bought a house (Debt) and are going to get another loan (Debt), because you can't actually afford the first debt.................well..:eek:

Who says he can't afford the first debt, maybe the loan is to buy furnishings for his flat, and maybe he can afford the repayments on both!

I would imagine if he couldn't afford the repayments on either, the banks would not lend him the money, as in the present climate the banks are less likely to lend if they thought they were going to be stung!

coppercrutch
Who says he can't afford the first debt, maybe the loan is to buy furnishings for his flat, and maybe he can afford the repayments on both!

I would imagine if he couldn't afford the repayments on either, the banks would not lend him the money, as in the present climate the banks are less likely to lend if they thought they were going to be stung!

That is why I said if........

I would imagine there are many people in the exact situation I have described above.

According to some it could be over a million in the UK alone. :eek:

http://www.moneyfacts.co.uk/Mortgages/articles/Credit_cards_and_mortgages.aspx

*As for how they got those figures who knows.

Archived