The Jesus and Marychain

The Fall

The Mighty Wah

Ned's Atomic Dustbin

Pop Will Eat Itself

Rammstein

Asian Dub Foundation

Public Image Limited

All have had minor hits, some have had top ten hits but why aren't theses bands bigger than U2 Aren't people paying attention.

Mind you there must be other bands that should rule the world but I've never heard off, enlighten me

PsychocAndy
The Beta Band.

sorry I missed them they should have been included and I've slapped my own wrist with a spoon

Chad Sexington
sorry I missed them they should have been included and I've slapped my own wrist with a spoon

And so you should young man. :)

Cracking band.

watch?v=-phgYN3GSC4

Don't know if this has been done before but

Why don't other people get

The Jesus and Marychain

The Fall

The Mighty Wah

Ned's Atomic Dustbin

Pop Will Eat Itself

Rammstein

Asian Dub Foundation

Public Image Limited

All have had minor hits, some have had top ten hits but why aren't theses bands bigger than U2 Aren't people paying attention.

Mind you there must be other bands that should rule the world but I've never heard off, enlighten me

Rammstein are freaking huge outside the UK. Millions of albums (over 10 million!) sold and countless tours.

ADF are asian, personally i think their first album is awesome, but they aint the most marketable are they? breakbeat, dub, dance music about issues most people (myself included) will never experience. Free satpal ram (great strings) and buzzin are 2 songs that are on the ipod running mix I made.

I actually think PIL are *****. Same with NEds and PWEI (althoug I do like Bentley Rhythm Ace), maybe if id been older at the time? I hear it now and just think its mid 90s guff. So that could explain them?

As for Jesus and Marychain and The Fall they have massive cult followings. Maybe not in terms of album sales but they have fans far more devoted than their sales would suggest.

Of course I could be talking nonsense and the real reason is that most of the bands you mention split after a couple years! Like the Beta Band, scotlands best ever. The Aliens albums ok but not a patch on the Betas!

Reuben

better than almost all other UK rock bands. Yet had next to no coverage.

Stone Roses (proof that the brightest stars shine shortest)

The The (soundtrack of my teens)

The Wonder Stuff (although Neds blew them away in Glasgow in 1990, I always preferred the stuffies)

Hipsway (one album, absolute class, what happened?)

The KLF (had it all, preferred to do 'art' than make music I guess)

Frankie Goes To Hollywood (if only Pleasuredome had been a lean, single disc LP and a little less excessive, they could have been legendary)

:rofl:

Actually they might all be single fish. I have theory that few bands have more than two albums in them, by the time they get to the third album they're so bloated on coke and ego they don't know their arse from their elbow. (Elbow, there's a great band)

Oasis haven't done anything worthy of world domination since What's The Story and don't get me started on The Verve reforming.

Reuben

An utterly fantastic band.

Gutted they're no more.

Don't know if this has been done before but

Why don't other people get

The Mighty Wah

I know their lead singer. He use to go out with my mums friend. Seen him play quite a few times......... I don't get what all the fuss is about really, he's not that great.

Oasis haven't done anything worthy of world domination since What's The Story and don't get me started on The Verve reforming.

Many folk, including myself would disagree with that statement. Imo Oasis' latest album Don't Believe The Truth is their 2nd best album. And lets not forget about Be Here Now and the Masterplan. Both great albums, better than most modern bands albums these days.

Many folk, including myself would disagree with that statement. Imo Oasis' latest album Don't Believe The Truth is their 2nd best album. And lets not forget about Be Here Now and the Masterplan. Both great albums, better than most modern bands albums these days.

You can't be serious?

The The (soundtrack of my teens)

completely agree Matt Johnson is one of the most underestimated songwriters in the UK

I agree that Don't Believe the Truth is definitely their best album since What's the Story, and Masterplan is very good, albeit effectively a b-sides album, howver, Be Here Now is a huge coke-fuelled pile of steaming dung I'm afraid. IMO of course.

I give you "Gang of four"

At the time, I honestly thought that was the music of the future.:)

Chad Sexington
Yes.

Mate, that album is a load of coke addled codswallop.

I was a genuine fan when that album came out and went to see them in Newcastle. One of the most boring nights of my life.

Just pompous dirge after dirge that seemed to last a fortnight.

That was the beginning of the end for me.

They've been creatively bankrupt for years imo.

Although funnily enough, before every album comes out, Noel always trumpets that it's the best one ever.

Only for him to admit it was crap a couple of years later. :rolleyes:

=Reuben=

ALL HAIL! I commend your good taste. BEST BAND IN THE WORLD EVER!!!

pish all over any other current rock bands.

do you know they've split recently though? R.I.P

they have produced genuinely 3 of my favourite albums of all time.

Reuben

Cos they're pish.

The Seahorses, really thought they were going to be huge! Also thought after Mosley Shoals OCS would have gone from strength to strength !

Bindy Badgy

Alice In Chains - They had a couple of number 1 albums in the US but they never reached the heights they should of due to Layne Staley's smack addiction preventig them from touring properly.

no taste, coming from someone with an mxpx avatar :rolleyes:

Still a hundred times better than Reuben. Seen both live a few times and MxPx **** on them from a great height. Glad you noticed the pic though ;).

The Seahorses, really thought they were going to be huge! Also thought after Mosley Shoals OCS would have gone from strength to strength !

Agreed, although I did love their Do It Yourself album.

Still a hundred times better than Reuben. Seen both live a few times and MxPx **** on them from a great height. Glad you noticed the pic though ;).

Reuben were amazing live, definately not what you could put them at fault for :wacko:

but if you like 3 chord american tripe then so be it. they are catchy at best.

as opposed to reuben who are a musical feast for the ears. you might not like that style of music but to write they off as completely pish is a bit harsh, if not narrow minded, they were fantastic at what they did and have some truely magnificent songs. My all time favourite band, shame they are wasted on you. :)

each to there own though, eh ;)

Gavsy Van Gaverson

Agree with both.

I also thought Cast were going to make it big. Really liked them.

Reuben were amazing live, definately not what you could put them at fault for :wacko:

as opposed to reuben who are a musical feast for the ears. you might not like that style of music but to write they off as completely pish is a bit harsh, if not narrow minded, they were fantastic at what they did and have some truely magnificent songs. My all time favourite band, shame they are wasted on you. :)

4 chords, come on. While hardly pioneering it's pretty lazy of yourself to label the mighty Px as 3 chord american tripe. Have you ever been to see them?

Ok pish was maybe a bit over the top but I did find them pretty underwhelming when I saw them. Maybe not knowing any of their songs before I saw them didn't help...

4 chords, come on. While hardly pioneering it's pretty lazy of yourself to label the mighty Px as 3 chord american tripe. Have you ever been to see them?

Ok pish was maybe a bit over the top but I did find them pretty underwhelming when I saw them. Maybe not knowing any of their songs before I saw them didn't help...

To be fair: Mxpx bring a few fond memories for me, I listened to them when I much much younger... just checked the old album released in 95, was it really 13 years ago!? they must be pretty old now? However I quickly got bored of them and grew out of their music.

Reuben on the other hand have been my favourite band for 6+ years, I think they always will be. So I always get a little defewnsive on their part :P Maybe you caught them on an off night? as I've seen them many times and I always felt their live performances were one of their strong points. who were they supporting? (as I assume you wouldn't have went to one of their headlining tours?)

I'll take a stab in the dark at Billy Talent? the one time Ive seen Reuben where they were a bit short of their usual standards.

Still at the end of the day I don't expect everyone to love reuben, everyone has different tastes. :)

OCS are still a great band, seen them in December and they were awesome live. Some of their new stuff is good and also different but there is too many young people listening to utter garbage these days and not appreaciating the good music from the likes of OCS.

For Oasis you cant really say that they havent ruled the world. They have basically done it already, yes recent attempts have maybe not been as good as their first two albums but they are still one of the biggest bands in the world. There is not many bands bigger than Oasis today.

To be fair: Mxpx bring a few fond memories for me, I listened to them when I much much younger... just checked the old album released in 95, was it really 13 years ago!? they must be pretty old now? However I quickly got bored of them and grew out of their music.

Reuben on the other hand have been my favourite band for 6+ years, I think they always will be. So I always get a little defewnsive on their part :P Maybe you caught them on an off night? as I've seen them many times and I always felt their live performances were one of their strong points. who were they supporting? (as I assume you wouldn't have went to one of their headlining tours?)

I'll take a stab in the dark at Billy Talent? the one time Ive seen Reuben where they were a bit short of their usual standards.

Still at the end of the day I don't expect everyone to love reuben, everyone has different tastes. :)

I was a fan of Reuben but saw them supporting Sum 41 and they were hopeless.

You'll probably laugh but I saw them supporting Sum 41 too. That was April so they must have been winding down. Also saw them at the Venue (I think) when Kerrang used to **** over them a while back.

I agree, Reuben were awesome live. I saw them a few times and was never disappointed.

Their albums are fantastic, and its a real shame they decided to pack it in.

The Wonder Stuff (although Neds blew them away in Glasgow in 1990, I always preferred the stuffies)

I was at that gig, Doc. The Sandkings played too if memory serves. Can't agree that the Neds were better but they were great too!!

Anyway, my list;

Nick Cave

Julian Cope

Iggy Pop

Barry Adamson

Gram Parsons

Pop Levi

Sparks

The Organ

PJ Harvey

PsychocAndy
Rammstein are freaking huge outside the UK. Millions of albums (over 10 million!) sold and countless tours.

ADF are asian, personally i think their first album is awesome, but they aint the most marketable are they? breakbeat, dub, dance music about issues most people (myself included) will never experience. Free satpal ram (great strings) and buzzin are 2 songs that are on the ipod running mix I made.

I actually think PIL are *****. Same with NEds and PWEI (althoug I do like Bentley Rhythm Ace), maybe if id been older at the time? I hear it now and just think its mid 90s guff. So that could explain them?

As for Jesus and Marychain and The Fall they have massive cult followings. Maybe not in terms of album sales but they have fans far more devoted than their sales would suggest.

Of course I could be talking nonsense and the real reason is that most of the bands you mention split after a couple years! Like the Beta Band, scotlands best ever. The Aliens albums ok but not a patch on the Betas!

Agreed Rammstein are huge outside the UK but not in and I find that strange. They do English versions of there songs too and should be massive all over.

ADF make great music and 90% of people* dont listen to the lyrics any way, Imagine was massive in the USA because they didn't realize it was basically the Communist Party Rule book.

The Fall & JAMC aye ok but they are superb and would rather listen to Mark E Smith fart than the back catalouge of U2.

Neds and PWEI and The mighty Wah may now sound dated but they should have been massive and then could have grown to cutting edge musicianship. Which is what John Lydon has always been.

* I don't really know the percentage

PsychocAndy
I know their lead singer. He use to go out with my mums friend. Seen him play quite a few times......... I don't get what all the fuss is about really, he's not that great.

I don't think Pete Wylie would say he's a great singer but he uses his voice as an instrument. Seemingly singing with 3 Bass, Hooky's band.

PsychocAndy
Microdisney.

Cocteau Twins.

Theatre of Hate/Spear of Destiny.

The Cramps.

Sorry I missed the Cocteau's and The Cramps

ToH & SoD Kirk Brandon done nothing for me.

Beverley , Brother Beyond

I will report you to the mods for such vileness if you do that again.

chester copperpot

A couple I thought in my youth would 'Make it' (remember I was between 10-14 here).

Bros (My worst ever closet like band)

Erasure (They did ok though).

Love and Money

Maybe not world domination but I thought they would have done better.

Mike and the Mechanics, Go West, Mr Mister ;)

For Oasis you cant really say that they havent ruled the world. They have basically done it already, yes recent attempts have maybe not been as good as their first two albums but they are still one of the biggest bands in the world. There is not many bands bigger than Oasis today.

As i posted before, i think Don't believe The Truth is Oasis' 2nd best album, esp when played live.

championsleaguefan

The Inspiral carpets really good band like the Stone roses a flash in the pan but boy were they a bright one.

Archived