Musselburgh Athletic V Hearts 7PM Tonight

maltese jambo

I think it was David Armstrong - He got moved to centre half in the second half and looked much better there.

Was that really Copil in the middle of the park tho? I thought it was Kostadinov? The players seemed to think so too as they were calling him Dino?

Its Dimo, Deemu or similar I forget and that is definitly copil

Tbh why the hell are we playing a defender up front rather than one of the other young strikers?

Where are wallace, robinson, cowan etc etc

Dimo.

How am I wrong? The others have no chance of making the first team.

Whether they are going to make the first team or not is irrelevent

The fact they are on long term deals mean they do have a future at hearts, sadly it is just milking the wage bill until we can offload them when there contracts are run down far enough for lower division clubs to afford them:mad:

Footballfirst

It was David Armstrong playing up front untill Sives went off and could have easily been mistaken for Mole or Makela by his lack of mobility or ability to get off the ground to head the ball.

Mackle scored with a decent volley from a corner played beyond the back post.

Deemo.

Ah, my mistake - Thought he showed some not bad touches anyhow but he didn't really do much. Then again, the rest of them weren't much better. They tried to play too much football IMO.

Thought the lad who came on up front in the second half took his goal well. The boy on the left wing (second half) looked ok too if only he had a bit more awareness around him (i.e. not always heading straight to the bye line with tunnel vision).

Bjornsson

Kelly Lithgow Sives Brown

Docherty Stewart Mulrooney Mackle

Copil

Armstrong

Played 4-4-1-1

Very poor performance from a pretty experienced side. Unsuccessfully played a short passing game throughout, when the occasional long ball over the top may have paid more dividends against a sluggish defence. Defensively slack marking and individual mistakes resulted in the concession of at least three of the goals, including a softish pen.

Best player for Hearts - Johnny Stewart (1st Half) and no-one 2nd half

Musselburgh seemed up for it more than Hearts whose only period on top was the last 15mins of the 1st half.

Who cares that we got beat.I like the fact that we are trying from the youth up to change the way we are playing.A short passing game throughout you say.Well im happy with that the result means **** all at the moment.The more we practice this style of play the better we will get at it which is surely better in the long run.

I think it was David Armstrong - He got moved to centre half in the second half and looked much better there.

Was that really Copil in the middle of the park tho? I thought it was Kostadinov? The players seemed to think so too as they were calling him Dino?

Was Copil. Thought he had a decent game and workrate wasn't that bad. I expected it to awful from reading previous posts about him.

A few other observations.

Thought no.11 (Mackle?)for a left winger it appeared he was better with his right foot.:confused:

Don't have much faith in the goalkeeper. His positioning for Mussselburgh's 3rd was abismal.

Its a relief to hear no.9 (Armstrong?) is usually a defender because it obvious he'll never be a striker.

Nothing much to say about the rest, poor display.

First time i've seen U19's so maybe just a off day for some (hopefully!).

Who cares that we got beat.I like the fact that we are trying from the youth up to change the way we are playing.A short passing game throughout you say.Well im happy with that the result means **** all at the moment.The more we practice this style of play the better we will get at it which is surely better in the long run.

As said earlier in the thread we clearly arent doing enough if we see playing a few diddy friendlies like this as pre season

Also dont see what mixing a bunch of diddy youths we only have cause no one else wants with the talented ones does

Frankly games like this are a waste of time and resources

We would be far better off having them all in germany playing games over there

Was Copil. Thought he had a decent game and workrate wasn't that bad. I expected it to awful from reading previous posts about him.

A few other observations.

Thought no.11 (Mackle?)for a left winger it appeared he was better with his right foot.:confused:

Don't have much faith in the goalkeeper. His positioning for Mussselburgh's 3rd was abismal.

Its a relief to hear no.9 (Armstrong?) is usually a defender because it obvious he'll never be a striker.

Nothing much to say about the rest, poor display.

First time i've seen U19's so maybe just a off day for some (hopefully!).

Mackle is a right winger:confused:

MacDonald Jardine
Its not very common nowadays though

Back then there wasnt youth initiative set ups to the standard there is now

Whether it happened 20-50 years ago is irrelevent because very few top level clubs recruit from the juniors of any age these days.

Not sure what your point is.

Who should the youth teams be playing?

Ibrahim Tall

Also, I could be wrong but the dodgy keeper we had sounded like he had a Scottish accent - Especially when he was shouting "C'mon the Hearts". The sub goalie was a big tall blonde lad who looked more like he was a Bjornsson?

Bjornssons got dark hair, the blonde lad was probably Mark Ridgers.

maltese jambo
As said earlier in the thread we clearly arent doing enough if we see playing a few diddy friendlies like this as pre season

Also dont see what mixing a bunch of diddy youths we only have cause no one else wants with the talented ones does

Frankly games like this are a waste of time and resources

We would be far better off having them all in germany playing games over there

Mate you've made your point do you need to keep repeating?

Thought Copil was very decent in the first half; some lovely touch and moves...but the passing game didnt seem to suit hearts and musselburgh were the more comfortable team throughout.

Some cracking goals though, Copil scored a screamer (im pretty sure it was Copil) and McCallum for Musselburgh as well.

Goals will be posted on Musselburgh website by tommorow look out for them as theres some crackers.

Mackle is a right winger:confused:

First time i've seen under U19's. But if Mackle was the scorer of the 1st goal, no.11 (with his right foot), he played a large part of the game as a left winger before being subbed. He spent most of his time in the 2nd half standing next to me shouting in vain for a pass that rarly happened.

The game was good fun tonight, much more useful than Saturdays thrashing of Penicuik. The result does not matter a jot, it was just a good chance for the coaching staff to try new things with the team and learn a bit about the boys, also good for the boys to play against grown men.

Not sure what your point is.

Who should the youth teams be playing?

I think the point he is trying to make is that instead of playing against the likes of junior and amateur teams as well as the annual trips to ireland, would it not be an idea to go the likes of Italy,Spain,France etc to play the very best teams there at the same age group.

Surely this is the way forward to find out how good our youth players really are, because you cannot tell against amateur hoofballers.

Charlie-Brown

Sives had a reasonably good game for the hour he was on - it was 1-1 when he went off - if he could work on his improving his fitness then he still has a chance to get back to the level he was before all his injury problems.....good to see him playing again.

Johnny Stewart & Paul Mulrooney covered a lot of ground, had some good passing moves between them but too often the wide players Mackle, Doherty & Wagner when he came on were sluggish and David Armstong up front played like Kevin McKenna did up top.

Fullbacks Johnny Brown & Shaun Kelly didn't see enough of the ball but used it well enough when they did get it - Kelly set up Hearts third goal with a good run past several opponents.

Bjornsson ruined his good work with 2 moments of sloppiness that cost us but otherwise was quite commanding at the back.

2 dodgy penalty decisions - 1 given - 1 not given decided the outcome.

Best for Hearts - Johnny Stewart & Mulrooney (for his workrate)

anonymous: Wagner, Copil, Doherty, Mackle, David Armstrong.

Typical pre-season stuff - some good stuff ruined by a few daft errors.

Charlie-Brown
Mate you've made your point do you need to keep repeating?

Thought Copil was very decent in the first half; some lovely touch and moves...but the passing game didnt seem to suit hearts and musselburgh were the more comfortable team throughout.

Some cracking goals though, Copil scored a screamer (im pretty sure it was Copil) and McCallum for Musselburgh as well.

Goals will be posted on Musselburgh website by tommorow look out for them as theres some crackers.

There was some good finishes but Copil didn't score - not even close - Mackle scored for Hearts as did the sub Danny(?) and Johnny Stewart(?) near the end.

Charlie-Brown
The game was good fun tonight, much more useful than Saturdays thrashing of Penicuik. The result does not matter a jot, it was just a good chance for the coaching staff to try new things with the team and learn a bit about the boys, also good for the boys to play against grown men.

Correct although I wouldn't say Saturdays win at Penicuik was useless as a much younger Hearts team did very well in that game.

Charlie-Brown
Its Dimo, Deemu or similar I forget and that is definitly copil

Tbh why the hell are we playing a defender up front rather than one of the other young strikers?

Where are wallace, robinson, cowan etc etc

There is another youth game tomorrow night against Edinburgh United at Paties Road recreation ground, colinton. KO 7pm

jamboinglasgow

On other Young hearts news, Hearts played their first matches in the Foyle cup today:

U11 team beat Derry & District Colts 4-1

U14 team beat Shankill Youth 3-0

Tomorrow the U11's play Coleraine FC and the U14s play Institute FC

Well done both teams

portobellojambo1
Bjornsson

Copil

Armstrong

Played 4-4-1-1

Very poor performance from a pretty experienced side. Unsuccessfully played a short passing game throughout, when the occasional long ball over the top may have paid more dividends against a sluggish defence. Defensively slack marking and individual mistakes resulted in the concession of at least three of the goals, including a softish pen.

Musselburgh seemed up for it more than Hearts whose only period on top was the last 15mins of the 1st half.

Think Musselburgh have been playing for a few weeks now, so would imagine they were more ready for this game than our youngsters. Certainly when PHSC held their AGM in Musselburgh on June 7 Musselburgh were playing in a cup tie that day, think it was against Bo'ness (I assume that was their start to this season rather than their end to last season).

LiamWallace
Bjornsson

Copil

Armstrong

Played 4-4-1-1

Cheers for the update!

Ryan Gosling
An under 19 side with no Rapnik,Husband,Templeton,Glen,McGowan (20 now?)... all in Germany.

McGowan's not 19 till August.

maltese jambo
Think Musselburgh have been playing for a few weeks now, so would imagine they were more ready for this game than our youngsters. Certainly when PHSC held their AGM in Musselburgh on June 7 Musselburgh were playing in a cup tie that day, think it was against Bo'ness (I assume that was their start to this season rather than their end to last season).

The bo'ness match was the first of two cup finals; last season! our last match was against Arniston Rangers a few days afterwards.

Tonight was our first game since then.

Wasn't Jonny Stewart the player that was freed/ignored by Hearts?

Jonny Taylor, now with Glentoran.

Jonny Taylor, now with Glentoran.

when did that happen?

We did bring him back and he played a few reserve games late last season

when did that happen?

He signed a 2 year deal with them in the close season and played against us last week.

Charlie-Brown
when did that happen?

Johnny Taylor played for Glentoran against Hearts last week........it's not surprising that people get confused between some of the youngsters though as there was Johnny Taylor, there still is (Jonathan) 'Johnny' Stewart, (Jonathan) 'Johnny' Brown and (Jonathan) Woods 'Woody' and also another younger one called (Hill) 'Hilly'..........

Robbos Right Peg

My impressions of the game were.......... keeper a nightmare 3 ok going forward 9 useless up front slightly better when playing in the back four in the second half 10 not bad surprised he didnt get the whole 90 minutes. The rest you can forget.

Plus the coaching staff are a joke. Darren Murray 'linesman yer havin a Chernoble' and other gems as for the other guy in the dark Hearts trackie well words fail me.

Charlie-Brown
My impressions of the game were.......... keeper a nightmare 3 ok going forward 9 useless up front slightly better when playing in the back four in the second half 10 not bad surprised he didnt get the whole 90 minutes. The rest you can forget.

Plus the coaching staff are a joke. Darren Murray 'linesman yer havin a Chernoble' and other gems as for the other guy in the dark Hearts trackie well words fail me.

I think Hearts have donated a lot of training kit to Musselburgh as they all had Hearts badges & Ukio Bankas sponsorship........

Robbos Right Peg

No I take that back the wee guy that played wide left in the second half was ok but like his hair cut his final ball lacked finish :)

Sorry for the lack of names by the way but I am not as much an anorak as some people :)

Robbos Right Peg
I think Hearts have donated a lot of training kit to Musselburgh as they all had Hearts badges & Ukio Bankas sponsorship........

He did seem to be at the far end of the dug out right enough but to me he was Hearts related. If not get the fekin trackie back !!!! ;)

Charlie-Brown
He did seem to be at the far end of the dug out right enough but to me he was Hearts related. If not get the fekin trackie back !!!! ;)

All the Musselburgh subs had Hearts Navy blue trackie tops on as well but had blue shorts & socks and most were much older (thirties) with a different physique to the younger Hearts kids who wore bright orange bibs or maroon trackie tops - it was a wee bit confusing except for the general age & fitness difference.

We are not a 2nd or 3rd Division side though

We are a full time professional SPL team who should be competing at a high level both domestically and in europe

If our u19's who train every day and dont have day jobs unlike their opposition tonight can't manage to handle them well then its quite clear to me that they are on the wrong side and should be helped on there way to the right side

We lost 4-3 so we should be shipping the lot of them out then eh?

Robbos Right Peg
All the Musselburgh subs had Hearts Navy blue trackie tops on as well but had blue shorts & socks and most were much older (thirties) with a different physique to the younger Hearts kids who wore bright orange bibs or maroon trackie tops - it was a wee bit confusing except for the general age & fitness difference.

No this was a guy who would never get a game for either team so he was not a player he had the full trackie thing and was a disgrace if he was attached to Hearts

Robbos Right Peg
We lost 4-3 so we should be shipping the lot of them out then eh?

In fairness most of them because there was not a lot of quality on display but that is not all down to the players IMHO

Archived