Musselburgh Athletic V Hearts 7PM Tonight

maltese jambo

maltese jambo

Just to let everyone know that Musselburgh play Hearts tonight at Olive bank, Market street, Musselburgh. The ground is just behind the magnet showroom.

Match report, photos and video highlights will be available the 'Burgh official website:http://www.musselburghathletic.com

Musselburgh Athletic will this season be firmly aiming for the superleague and the club and its committee have been working hard preparing and fund raising to make that possible and the Hearts friendly obviously provides an ideal opportunity to start our pre-season campeign.

Hope to see you all there.

In addition, anyone who would like photos taken holding the two pieces of silverware won by Musselburgh; the Brown Cup and the St. Michaels cup, should come at around quarter past 6 for photos to be taken.

Hearts Heritage

Confession Time

I used to live about 400 yards from there. We used to occasionally climb over the wall and 'dreep' down into the toilets (some corrugated iron shelter) to get in without paying.

maltese jambo
Confession Time

I used to live about 400 yards from there. We used to occasionally climb over the wall and 'dreep' down into the toilets (some corrugated iron shelter) to get in without paying.

Well i think tonight will be a decent match if you fancy comming back to repay some of your debt through lost earnings to the club ;)

My nephew plays for Musselburgh(well did last season,might not now)having previously been on Hearts and Raiths books as a youngster.

maltese jambo
My nephew plays for Musselburgh(well did last season,might not now)having previously been on Hearts and Raiths books as a youngster.

Paul Tansey or Paul Currie by any chance?

Hearts Heritage
Well i think tonight will be a decent match if you fancy comming back to repay some of your debt through lost earnings to the club ;)

I'd love to but 400 miles is a bit difficult. Do the 'Big Clubs' still send players to the 5 a sides?

maltese jambo
I'd love to but 400 miles is a bit difficult. Do the 'Big Clubs' still send players to the 5 a sides?

This is 11 v 11 tonight; the five asides are being held elsewhere

Midloth_Iain

Hopefully Ryan McCallum gets a game for the 'Burgh. If so the Hearts defence will need to be wary of him, decent player. :)

Peter Olivers Army

Musselburgh are a decent team, should give our youngsters a decent game.

Saw them gub Lithgae' Rose last season. Drew admiring glances to my Bo'ness top ;)

Hopefully Ryan McCallum gets a game for the 'Burgh. If so the Hearts defence will need to be wary of him, decent player. :)

Frankly if any of our players cant cope with a junior team then they should have their contract torn up tomorrow

Peter Olivers Army
Frankly if any of our players cant cope with a junior team then they should have their contract torn up tomorrow

Take it you don't watch much junior football then? A lot of them are hardened ex-pro's or youngsters who didn't quite make it looking to prove a point.

Many a junior side could do well against Div 2 or 3 sides.

Your lack of respect does you a great disservice.

Paul Tansey or Paul Currie by any chance?

Tansey is a not bad wee player, good left peg.

Take it you don't watch much junior football then? A lot of them are hardened ex-pro's or youngsters who didn't quite make it looking to prove a point.

Many a junior side could do well against Div 2 or 3 sides.

Your lack of respect does you a great disservice.

We are not a 2nd or 3rd Division side though

We are a full time professional SPL team who should be competing at a high level both domestically and in europe

If our u19's who train every day and dont have day jobs unlike their opposition tonight can't manage to handle them well then its quite clear to me that they are on the wrong side and should be helped on there way to the right side

Gavsy Van Gaverson

Paul Parkin?

Peter Olivers Army
We are not a 2nd or 3rd Division side though

We are a full time professional SPL team who should be competing at a high level both domestically and in europe

If our u19's who train every day and dont have day jobs unlike their opposition tonight can't manage to handle them well then its quite clear to me that they are on the wrong side and should be helped on there way to the right side

Our lads playing tonight are there to develop and flourish.

People like you are the problem with football now and always have been.

Must win at any cost, no matter that it is a pre-season friendly.

Out of interest do you think every player who lost out to Glentoran should have their contracts ripped up as it is almost the same match-up?

Then again, reflecting on your posting history that would probably please you.

Our lads playing tonight are there to develop and flourish.

People like you are the problem with football now and always have been.

Must win at any cost, no matter that it is a pre-season friendly.

Out of interest do you think every player who lost out to Glentoran should have their contracts ripped up as it is almost the same match-up?

Then again, reflecting on your posting history that would probably please you.

Its all well developing and flourishing players but they need to have the ability to begin with

Is it a coincidence that many of the players we have brought through in recent years are playing juniors, seniors or 3rd div football? I would suggest not

These sort of fixtures are a waste of time, I fail to see what playing against a bunch of journeymen and hatchett men who couldnt make the grade offer our youths in development

We would be far better off putting some cash in and packing them off down south or to holland or the likes to play other professional teams youths and reserves - this could also double as a scouting mission

maltese jambo

Yea looking forward to seeing him play....

its not a Hearts U 19 its basically a Hearts select similar to the team against Penicuik i immagine, with the likes of Copil perhaps making a appearance.

Peter Olivers Army

I suppose the notion that we play games against the likes of Musselburgh & Penicuik is to foster local support for the club is beyond you.

Also, playing those your same age does not help all the time. Players stay at that level. They need bigger and stronger opposition to improve.

So Gary Naismith's career was NOT helped by JJ loaning him out to a Junior team?

Talk about being able to cause an argument in an empty house.

I suppose the notion that we play games against the likes of Musselburgh & Penicuik is to foster local support for the club is beyond you.

Also, playing those your same age does not help all the time. Players stay at that level. They need bigger and stronger opposition to improve.

Its all good saying local support etc but what does that really do for us as a team?

does playing these teams have financial benefits? doubtful

Do I believe it gets us more fans? doubtful

Whilst I would say the odd game fair enough, every pre season we play the same cups and same diddy journeymen teams

We need to be doing the best for our club and our youths development and 5 pre season games against juniors followed by approx 20 games against under 19 teams of whom most wont make it simply does not do that

Is it any wonder when a season amounts to above so many players fail to make it?

we should be looking to do something new, yes a tour abroad might cost money but if it helps develop the next craig gordon its worth it

As for Naysmiths loan, theres always an exception but the fact is most people in the Juniors are not good enough for the level of football we should be striving to achieve so what does pre season against this level really obtain

jambos are go!

I'm sure The under 17s are playing Edin United @ Patties Road on Wednesday(7pm Kick off).

Charlie-Brown

Hearts send youth teams to the Milk Cup & Foyle Cup in Ireland which are 2 prestigious tournaments - the games against Penicuik & Musselburgh & other junior teams are a pre-season warm up excercise for the kids prior to playing competitive tournaments and league games - it also helps bring in some extra money to these junior clubs which fosters goodwill & some of the academy kids won't make it at senior level and might eventually decide to play juniors and these relationships help.

I really don't see what the problem is........however at the Academy the various Hearts age groups also play some reciprocal matches with visiting clubs from England & elsewhere if you want them to experience something different.

Peter Olivers Army

As for Naysmiths loan, theres always an exception but the fact is most people in the Juniors are not good enough for the level of football we should be striving to achieve so what does pre season against this level really obtain

Er, Match fitness?

Once again, your lack of years and knowledge of Hearts betray you.

Many of Hearts greatest players in our history have either began their careers or been farmed out to junior clubs. John Cumming, Donald Ford, Freddie Glidden, Dave MacKay & Craig Levein to name but a few.

maltese jambo
Er, Match fitness?

Many of Hearts greatest players in our history have either began their careers or been farmed out to junior clubs. John Cumming, Donald Ford, Freddie Glidden, Dave MacKay & Craig Levein to name but a few.

add willie bauld, scott severin, graeme shaw... and more...

http://www.musselburghafc.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/fam.html

add willie bauld, scott severin, graeme shaw... and more...

http://www.musselburghafc.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/fam.html

Some cracking names there mate!!

I remember watching the 5's as a lad : remember vividly the players climbing over a wooden makeshift ladder and into Campie school which was used as changing rooms! The likes of Graeme Shaw, John Greig, Sandy Jardine, Jim Forrest, Alfie Conn, Drew Busby (I Think?!) and Jimmy Cant. That's right! I'm three hundred years old!!

How will I recognise you tonight?!! will you be the one with the big grin if there's a decent crowd?!!

I'll be there!! Good Luck mate ;)

Guest Maroon Carpet

Anyone know which buses to get that are nearest to the ground coming from the west side of Edinburgh.

Confession Time

Tut , tut Davy - and I thought I was the only one who used to do this !!

( the best way in was from Campie School as the ground was higher up there and negated the need to climb too high !! )

but don't tell anyone...................

Er, Match fitness?

Its not very common nowadays though

Back then there wasnt youth initiative set ups to the standard there is now

Whether it happened 20-50 years ago is irrelevent because very few top level clubs recruit from the juniors of any age these days.

Anyone know which buses to get that are nearest to the ground coming from the west side of Edinburgh.

26 or 44 gets you to North High Street, ground a 2min walk from there.

Peter Olivers Army

Number 30 first of all goes down back of ground, giving you a slatted view, then swings round onto Main Street, cross road and you're there.

Gavsy Van Gaverson
Parkie has never been at mussleburgh. Plays for Bonnyrigg and has done for 3 years.

Cheers. Couldn't remember who he played for.

maltese jambo
Some cracking names there mate!!

I remember watching the 5's as a lad : remember vividly the players climbing over a wooden makeshift ladder and into Campie school which was used as changing rooms! The likes of Graeme Shaw, John Greig, Sandy Jardine, Jim Forrest, Alfie Conn, Drew Busby (I Think?!) and Jimmy Cant. That's right! I'm three hundred years old!!

How will I recognise you tonight?!! will you be the one with the big grin if there's a decent crowd?!!

I'll be there!! Good Luck mate ;)

You'll see me for sure....with the camera in one hand and pie in the other!

You'll see me for sure....with the camera in one hand and pie in the other!

heh heh !! Superb young man! Have a good night!! :)

Robbos Right Peg
Er, Match fitness?

In fairness to Prancer POA these players had to go to juniour clubs before signing pro because of the set up back then. There is a great book detailing the system in '57/58 being re-published in September :)

Ginger God Is Back

Just back from Olivebank..lost 4-3....wasnt very good...

Goalie had a mare....Mr Copil...well...well...well...

The futures bright......not.....

Guest jambomickey
Just back from Olivebank..lost 4-3....wasnt very good...

Goalie had a mare....Mr Copil...well...well...well...

The futures bright......not.....

what was the team mate?

Footballfirst

Bjornsson

Kelly Lithgow Sives Brown

Docherty Stewart Mulrooney Mackle

Copil

Armstrong

Played 4-4-1-1

Very poor performance from a pretty experienced side. Unsuccessfully played a short passing game throughout, when the occasional long ball over the top may have paid more dividends against a sluggish defence. Defensively slack marking and individual mistakes resulted in the concession of at least three of the goals, including a softish pen.

Best player for Hearts - Johnny Stewart (1st Half) and no-one 2nd half

Musselburgh seemed up for it more than Hearts whose only period on top was the last 15mins of the 1st half.

Bjornsson

Copil

Armstrong

Played 4-4-1-1

Very poor performance from a pretty experienced side. Unsuccessfully played a short passing game throughout, when the occssional long ball over the top may have paid more dividends against a sluggish defence. Defensively slack marking and individual mistakes resulted in the concession of at least three of the goals, including a softish pen.

Musselburgh seemed up for it more than Hearts whose only period on top was the last 15mins of the 1st half.

Please tell me that the Armstrong who played up front was a promoted youth, or triallist and not David or John Armstrong who are better known as defenders:confused:

Ryan Gosling
Bjornsson

Copil

Armstrong

Played 4-4-1-1

Very poor performance from a pretty experienced side. Unsuccessfully played a short passing game throughout, when the occasional long ball over the top may have paid more dividends against a sluggish defence. Defensively slack marking and individual mistakes resulted in the concession of at least three of the goals, including a softish pen.

Best player for Hearts - Johnny Stewart (1st Half) and no-one 2nd half

That doesn't concern me.

The highlighted three are the only ones with a potential future at the club.

Please tell me that the Armstrong who played up front was a promoted youth, or triallist and not David or John Armstrong who are better known as defenders:confused:

I think it was David Armstrong - He got moved to centre half in the second half and looked much better there.

Was that really Copil in the middle of the park tho? I thought it was Kostadinov? The players seemed to think so too as they were calling him Dino?

Also, I could be wrong but the dodgy keeper we had sounded like he had a Scottish accent - Especially when he was shouting "C'mon the Hearts". The sub goalie was a big tall blonde lad who looked more like he was a Bjornsson?

That doesn't concern me.

The highlighted three are the only ones with a potential future at the club.

Thats where your wrong Peanut

Whether there good enough or not at least 2 of those not listed (Sives and Mackle) are here for a good few more years unless we can find a club to take on there ample wages for age and ability, Others in there are also rumoured to be on similar deals

It was David Armstrong, he reverted back to defence midway through the

2nd half

Ryan Gosling
I think it was David Armstrong - He got moved to centre half in the second half and looked much better there.

Was that really Copil in the middle of the park tho? I thought it was Kostadinov? The players seemed to think so too as they were calling him Dino?

Deemo.

Thats where your wrong Peanut

Whether there good enough or not at least 2 of those not listed (Sives and Mackle) are here for a good few more years unless we can find a club to take on there ample wages for age and ability, Others in there are also rumoured to be on similar deals

How am I wrong? The others have no chance of making the first team.

Archived