Ricardo Quaresma
16 minutes ago, Thunder and Lightning said:

😂 Trying to be smart arse per usual. 

Making a rip roaring ***** of it, as usual. 😂 

Have another wine moga. 

Sod's law loves to get your ps & qs, when you're correcting someone else's 😇

Always quadruple check those 👍

Anti VAR Association

Has to be silverware. We haven’t won a trophy for 12 years so it’s long overdue. That real success. 

I think we will get more competition for 3rd so not a given but expectations will be we finish 3rd. A lot might come down to Shankland staying or not. 

Uncle Buck

We were a false start to the season away from a genuine title challenge. I’d like to see us get closer to Celtic and Rangers next season. Maybe a cup along the way would be nice.

spirt of 98
6 hours ago, Anti VAR Association said:

Has to be silverware. We haven’t won a trophy for 12 years so it’s long overdue. That real success. 

I think we will get more competition for 3rd so not a given but expectations will be we finish 3rd. A lot might come down to Shankland staying or not. 

The realities of winning a trophy. Queens Park have more Scottish Cups than us. It’s hardly ever won by non OF teams. We are currently 4th 1 ahead of the sheep. 

Think we have won the amount of trophies we possibly can. We may be due another win but we have to get the right team. 

514C231C-2EDD-4273-B56A-7EA6B43C5FA8.jpeg

Edited by spirt of 98

Daveandal
8 hours ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

Absolutely essential minimum requirements

:cornette_dog:

We've never qualified for Europe 3 seasons in a row. Doing it a fourth time would be taking us to the next level. Especially if it is group stage football for the 3rd out of 4 seasons.

Playing extra games takes a massive effort and it can hit later in the season too not just the Thursday/Sunday situation.

So yes coming 3rd again against that backdrop would be success. Not sexy but success.

I think next season might be tougher, you would think the hubz/sheep axis might have straightened themselves out a bit, and who knows if Killie may be able to consolidate and even strengthen for next season. I also suspect the OF will greatly strengthen for Europe and will be an even tougher nut to crack.

Ricardo Quaresma
15 minutes ago, Daveandal said:

We've never qualified for Europe 3 seasons in a row. Doing it a fourth time would be taking us to the next level. Especially if it is group stage football for the 3rd out of 4 seasons.

Playing extra games takes a massive effort and it can hit later in the season too not just the Thursday/Sunday situation.

So yes coming 3rd again against that backdrop would be success. Not sexy but success.

Vital, yes, success, yes; could well be the last GS spot for the Scottish Cup / 3rd scenario

We would then need to qualify for EL, from Q3 or Q2, at least reaching Q4 (Play-Off Round, PO) which of course gives us Conference League GS Football, at least, if we don't win that tie

This would be vital to fill out our 5-Year card with as many points as possible, for the Qualifying pots in the Seasons after that; we'll see in this year's draw what a decent coefficient looks like in the new Format; I reckon 18-25 or anything near will serve us well

Sure you know all this, Dave, just demonstrating for a wee reminder to everyone 😉

I can't see Aberdeen being much of a threat. Whoever takes the gig will have to build that squad up again and get rid of a few players. 

Uncle Buck
4 minutes ago, Sir PH said:

I can't see Aberdeen being much of a threat. Whoever takes the gig will have to build that squad up again and get rid of a few players. 

Jimmy Thelin has taken the job but not until next season. He’ll have less time to assess the squad. Seems a bit strange.

Hearts_fan

Marginal improvements across the board would be a fantastic season. 

To achieve 10 or 11 away wins again, for example, would be superb, improving that would outstanding.

Another on my list would be to go a season without getting pumped once, i.e. no 4 or 5 nils against. 

Beat Celtic and rangers at least once each, and every other team home and away.

Edited by Hearts_fan

32 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Jimmy Thelin has taken the job but not until next season. He’ll have less time to assess the squad. Seems a bit strange.

Especially since his current teams results have not been particularly great recently 

Shooter McGavin

Most desirable targets
- Win a cup

- Finish 3rd

- More European football

- Increase the gap between us and 4th place

Highly desirable targets

- Match, or beat our points tally from this season

- Reduce the gap between us and 2nd place

westbow
1 hour ago, Daveandal said:

That is how I see it. Being consistent is success. I have seen better players in better Hearts teams having a successful season then the next one being mediocre at best. If we can get off to a flyer and avoid injuries I would be very happy.

Ricardo Quaresma
17 minutes ago, westbow said:

That is how I see it. Being consistent is success. I have seen better players in better Hearts teams having a successful season then the next one being mediocre at best. If we can get off to a flyer and avoid injuries I would be very happy.

Maintaining 3rd is definitely our bread and butter next Season; getting to where we were last Season, mitigating Europe, surviving injuries and correcting the mess from last Season after gaining an 11 point lead, but still finishing 3rd next time, as opposed to that 5h1tfest would be most satisfying

What's nice to think about is that most people at the club will be quietly working away in an attempt to gain a fair bit more than this :smuggy:

Can't wait to see the strength of the squad, come window close; can't wait to see our opponents in Europe; surely a much more potent threat to them this time and hopefully a kinder draw 👍

RedStarRiot

I think a repeat of this season would be a success. Finishing 3rd on a consistent basis would give us a great platform to continue to build. A trophy would be nice as well of course but I don’t think it’s a must to consider a season a success. 

I think squad wise we are in a much better position than our rivals with less changes needed. 

Hibs might be the ones to watch since they have this investment from the Bournemouth group. That could really go either way. Hopefully a complete cluster**** with their army of loans. Aberdeen need a lot of work on their squad and their best player who also scored almost all their goals will most likely leave. Killie won’t challenge for 3rd and will have a normal pitch reducing their advantage. 

15 minutes ago, RedStarRiot said:

I think a repeat of this season would be a success. Finishing 3rd on a consistent basis would give us a great platform to continue to build. A trophy would be nice as well of course but I don’t think it’s a must to consider a season a success. 

I think squad wise we are in a much better position than our rivals with less changes needed. 

Hibs might be the ones to watch since they have this investment from the Bournemouth group. That could really go either way. Hopefully a complete cluster**** with their army of loans. Aberdeen need a lot of work on their squad and their best player who also scored almost all their goals will most likely leave. Killie won’t challenge for 3rd and will have a normal pitch reducing their advantage. 

Killie won't have a grass pitch until 25/26.

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, RedStarRiot said:

Agreed in General,  but I think you'll be surprised at our changes, especially if Cochrane,  Shanks and Beni leave.

Likely be about 7/8 in, with 3 already secured.

Personally I'd also like us to hit 70 points +.

3rd, 4th, 3rd, 3rd with 70 points + would show we are starting to make 3rd ours and distance ourselves from the rest.

Margins in football are small, if we'd beaten rangers twice like we have celtic, we'd be 3 points behind them....

2 results!

Bunny Munro

I expect us to have 10 European games. That will be a massive load on the squad.

If we can match what we have done this season that would be fantastic. I expect us to drop more points next year, but hope we can still hang on to 3rd.

Wee Mikey
5 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Agreed in General,  but I think you'll be surprised at our changes, especially if Cochrane,  Shanks and Beni leave.

3rd, 4th, 3rd, 3rd with 70 points + would show we are starting to make 3rd ours and distance ourselves from the rest.

Margins in football are small, if we'd beaten rangers twice like we have celtic, we'd be 3 points behind them....

2 results!

Whilst not disagreeing with you, as such, two wins v Celtic AND two wins v The Rangers would've been outstanding.

See if we'd got off to a better start, though? We dropped some horrendous early season points, but came good with our away form. But for our daft capitulations ... our own doing, by the way, then this season would've been stellar.

Probably every team can look at narrow defeats and ifs & buts, and we are no exception.

You only have to look at Shanks' last minute winner at the echodome. 3 points for us ... none for them. It could be argued that we consigned them to bottom 6. How very frustrating for them. Then again, Levein's St J bested them both home and away pre-split, so there are another two games to give the h1b5 supporters anguish.

All in all, we did well, albeit sometimes having to dig deep, and next season will see us having to push on with cute signings and so on. At least we've begun that with our pre-season contracts. 3 players suggests that we're on the case.

RedStarRiot
35 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

2 results!

It’s likely all 3 will leave but we have shown we can get by fine without Beni and Cochrane. I’m more concerned about Shankland but it looks like we are adding more goals to the midfield with the signings we are making. Perhaps with multiple goal threats we will be even more dangerous rather than it being on one player. 

I honestly cant see past finishing third and making the European table stage through the qualifiers . It is a realistic and achievable benchmark improvement 

Bazzas right boot
34 minutes ago, RedStarRiot said:

It’s likely all 3 will leave but we have shown we can get by fine without Beni and Cochrane. I’m more concerned about Shankland but it looks like we are adding more goals to the midfield with the signings we are making. Perhaps with multiple goal threats we will be even more dangerous rather than it being on one player. 

Beni has been a massive difference this season v last season. 

He'll be hard ro replace,  despite many not rating him.

Agreed reference different threats and likley a different style, could be quite the transition this season. 

RedStarRiot
1 hour ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Beni has been a massive difference this season v last season. 

He'll be hard ro replace,  despite many not rating him.

Agreed reference different threats and likley a different style, could be quite the transition this season. 

I think Beni is a great player. I’d much rather he stayed but we have shown we are okay without him. 

Yep, it could be quite interesting seeing it all pan out. I’m confident the management and board have a plan in place.

I will be gutted if Beni leaves . I find it mental that people can not see how good he is . I think he is replaceable , but it is a gamble . I know what we get with him and I do not want to take the chance that his replacement is not as good 

gar jambo
8 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

They wasted so much money this season millions ! But they will get 5 to several million for mioski 

FarmerTweedy
On 29/04/2024 at 09:34, OTT said:

3rd

Semi finals in both cups 

Draw dependant I would like to push for 2nd in our European group and with the right recruitment over the summer, I think we can do this. Requires a little bit better recruitment (Danny Armstrong, Stuart Findlay & a RB IMO)

More youth development (Naismith to keep doing what he's been doing)

That would be a phenomenal achievement. 2nd out of 36 teams would be quite incredible! 

1 minute ago, FarmerTweedy said:

That would be a phenomenal achievement. 2nd out of 36 teams would be quite incredible! 

:lol: yeah thats been highlighted, I hadn't realised the format was due to change so soon! 

Still don't completely understand it tbh, but if it gives us a better chance to play teams of a similar standard and not be bulldozed by a big 5 league team that would be ideal... 

FarmerTweedy
4 minutes ago, OTT said:

:lol: yeah thats been highlighted, I hadn't realised the format was due to change so soon! 

Still don't completely understand it tbh, but if it gives us a better chance to play teams of a similar standard and not be bulldozed by a big 5 league team that would be ideal... 

It'll still be seeded, into 4 pots of 9 teams in the Europa League and 6 pots of 6 in the Conference League, and you'll play two from each pot in the Europa or one from each in the Conference (only playing each team once home or away, not twice home and away).  So we're still going to come up against some teams that could give us a bit of a spanking! 

I think in terms of Europe, progress or success would be not necessarily winning more games, but handling these games where the opposition could give us a bit of a spanking better than we have in the last couple of seasons. Fiorentina, Istanbul and PAOK all gave us a bit of a doing without really having to work too hard for it, and while it's a big ask to even get draws, never mind wins, against teams of this calibre, the starting point IMO is to at least make them have to really work for it, and that way we give ourselves a chance. The spinoff benefit of learning to make these teams work is that it's often a similar story with the arsecheeks domestically, so it's an aspect of playing in Europe that can hopefully help the club progress domestically aside from the whole financial windfall aspect! 

FarmerTweedy
On 29/04/2024 at 10:56, Gorgie_Rules said:

Ending the season with Naismith in charge regardless of league position hopefully to allow a bit continuity and trust in the longer term.

Neilson got the bullet for it looking like we’d finish 4th despite a decent track record previously. Hope we don’t fall into the same trap if we aren’t top 4 into the 2nd half of the season.

Going to be tricky to see how we navigate at least 8 European games with hopefully a League cup run too. We ought to be a lot more equipped this time in terms squad depth and experience though.

In fairness, Neilson got the bullet because we looked like finishing 4th in a season where the points required to get 3rd was about as low as it's ever been, while playing some utterly dire football, and looking very much like he'd lost the dressing room.  If we'd been playing fairly decent but looked like being pipped by an Aberdeen team having a stormer of a season, he wouldn't have got the bullet.

Bongo 1874
4 hours ago, gar jambo said:

They wasted so much money this season millions ! But they will get 5 to several million for mioski 

I'm told ipswich want Shankland 

ArcticJambo

More exciting football, where we typically dominate the vast majority of the match.  More goals.

Third, and a cup. Europa League group stage.

:pleasingao:

European qualification would be lovely.

Whether that comes from league position or a cup run. Another appearance at Hampden would be smashing.

Continuing to improve the finances of the club.

A half dozen really solid new signings would also be a good result.

Don't all have to be in the summer.

Unbeaten against the Lochend cockends is also a target.

hearts00

It will be hard to do better than this season in all honesty, especially and certainly if Shanks leaves. 

All I would want to see is an improvement in our attacking play. We need to create more chances and we need more goals spread through the team. 

Success for me will be improving on this season and building on what we've already achieved.  It would be great to win a cup, but that can come down to the luck of the draw.  We had a terrible record in the cups going back a few seasons, but it seemed like we almost always got Celtic in one of the early rounds.

The real barometer for me is league form.  Can we improve on our points tally next season?  If so, we hopefully narrow the gap between us and the OF and widen the gap between us and the rest, but that's not certain.  We could pick up more points next season, finish third, but the gap to 4th could be closer if one of the chasing pack also has a really good season, or the gap to the OF could be bigger if they both have really strong seasons.

The key to me isn't so much the points gap between us and the teams above and below us in a given season, but that we increase our points total.  If we can do that consistently over a number of seasons, then the gap between us and the rest will inevitably increase, and the gap between us and the OF will narrow.

The final measure of success will be our form against the OF.  We've managed 2 league wins from 3 against Celtic this season, which is encouraging.  We need to try and keep that sort of form up and extend it to games against Rangers, where our form is pretty woeful.

If we are ever going to mount a serious title challenge, not only do we need to establish a healthy gap between us and the rest, we need to start competing with the OF and winning games against them on a regular basis.

If you look back at the 1997-98 season, we pushed the OF really closely for most of the season.  Our points tally against the rest of the league was on a par with what the OF achieved, yet we only picked up 3 draws in 8 games against the OF, which is what ultimately made the difference.  If we'd managed to share the points equally against the OF, we would have won the league.  It's a big ask, but that's the task that's in front of us if we ever hope to break the duopoly.  

FarmerTweedy
On 30/04/2024 at 21:01, Bongo 1874 said:

I'm told ipswich want Shankland 

You need to stop listening to the voices in your head!  😉

Dsjambo
On 29/04/2024 at 22:28, Morgan said:

:getout:

Thats nearly a Hibs type aspiration.

Fair comment but it will depend on how we cope with the minimum 10 European games and how many players we recruit I suppose 

Morgan
On 29/04/2024 at 23:46, Thunder and Lightning said:

😂 Trying to be smart arse per usual. 

Making a rip roaring ***** of it, as usual. 😂 

Have another wine moga. 

I’ve still not had that wine, Thunders.

Are you still a pain though?  🤷🏿‍♂️

3 minutes ago, Dsjambo said:

Fair comment but it will depend on how we cope with the minimum 10 European games and how many players we recruit I suppose 

It's a definite factor for next season.

One that as a club hopefully we need to deal with.

Experience is key.

So grow in Europe consolidate our place in it domestically.

Trophy would be nice.

But success minimally is Europe.

Morgan
11 minutes ago, Dsjambo said:

That’s for sure, Ds.  👍

Thunder and Lightning
7 minutes ago, Morgan said:

I’ve still not had that wine, Thunders.

Are you still a pain though?  🤷🏿‍♂️

Nobody biting so you had to back a week to try and start another argument. 😂 

Tragic. 😂 

Morgan
2 minutes ago, Thunder and Lightning said:

Nobody biting so you had to back a week to try and start another argument. 😂 

Tragic. 😂 

Confirmed. 👍

Still a pain.

Thunder and Lightning
3 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Confirmed. 👍

Still a pain.

Aren't you about 60 or something?

Spending your nights trying to get into virtual arguments. 😂 

2 minutes ago, Thunder and Lightning said:

Aren't you about 60 or something?

Spending your nights trying to get into virtual arguments. 😂 

Ehhhhhhh.......??????

Are you sure you're accusing others of that?

Bull's-eye

I'd like to see us play some decent football next season.

This season while ending up in a decent place was hardly enjoyable, 

2 Hampden visits that were pretty torturest & decent moments here and there in the rest of the games.

Hoping the majority of the squad stick together and Naisy gets them more focused and fitter. 

waterboy11

Success has to be progression and improvement from this season.

3rd place again with less of gap to too 2 and cup final (win would be ideal). 

For me, next season, I'd take

3rd in league 

Beat Hibs 3 times

Win 3 group stage European games

Get to a cup final.

To me that would be a successful season, especially if we win that cup final.