Steven Naismith Appreciation Thread

Rudy T

davemclaren
7 hours ago, GorgieFifeLife said:

Naismith in the media this morning saying he believes we have exceeded expectations this season.  If he believes that expectations are so low that we have exceeded them that is a major worry and you have to question his understanding of what is expected at the club.

😄

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• kingantti1874

• Ricardo Quaresma

• GorgieFifeLife

GorgieFifeLife
1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

😄

Problem?  You believe we have exceeded expectations?

Victorian

I don't think expectations have been greatly exceeded.  3rd place should be the expectation.  But the probable margin of securing 3rd place is a bit better than what was likely.  Possibly helped by Aberdeen and Hibs being so bad.  No non-OF should ever expect cup wins.  You hope to be in a position to win them if you get good chances.  You maybe expect to compete better vs the OF at Hampden.  

Take away Kilmarnock having a worldy of a season (for them) and we're absolutely miles ahead of anyone.  We've dropped some points quite poorly.  But it's not unrealistic to say we could have finished the season 20+ points clear of 4th.

Wee Mikey
35 minutes ago, GorgieFifeLife said:

Craig Gordon is happy ...

chester copperpot
38 minutes ago, GorgieFifeLife said:

Naysmiff oot.

🔔🔚

kingantti1874
30 minutes ago, Victorian said:

I don't think expectations have been greatly exceeded.  3rd place should be the expectation.  But the probable margin of securing 3rd place is a bit better than what was likely.  Possibly helped by Aberdeen and Hibs being so bad.  No non-OF should ever expect cup wins.  You hope to be in a position to win them if you get good chances.  You maybe expect to compete better vs the OF at Hampden.  

Take away Kilmarnock having a worldy of a season (for them) and we're absolutely miles ahead of anyone.  We've dropped some points quite poorly.  But it's not unrealistic to say we could have finished the season 20+ points clear of 4th.

spot on. it been a good season.  Not at all an average one.

we are a curious club, third is the maximum we can realistically expect, yet for some 4th is a sackable offence.  

that is completely insane thinking 

Victorian
2 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

spot on. it been a good season.  Not at all an average one.

we are a curious club, third is the maximum we can realistically expect, yet for some 4th is a sackable offence.  

that is completely insane thinking 

4th should never be sackable by default.  The context should determine that.  Any one of 4 or 5 teams are occasionally capable of having a superb season (Kilmarnock this time).  In those circumstances we would have a challenge on our hands to get 3rd place.  Aberdeen had a tremendous run last season in parallel with our poor run.  What we should expect that we never have particularly bad runs like that.  Avoid them and we'll likely take a bit of beating for 3rd,  year on year.  Can any of them expect to get 3rd place if we've been fairly good?  It will take some doing.

Our new expectation.  To make it increasingly difficult to challenge us.

kingantti1874
2 minutes ago, Victorian said:

4th should never be sackable by default.  The context should determine that.  Any one of 4 or 5 teams are occasionally capable of having a superb season (Kilmarnock this time).  In those circumstances we would have a challenge on our hands to get 3rd place.  Aberdeen had a tremendous run last season in parallel with our poor run.  What we should expect that we never have particularly bad runs like that.  Avoid them and we'll likely take a bit of beating for 3rd,  year on year.  Can any of them expect to get 3rd place if we've been fairly good?  It will take some doing.

Our new expectation.  To make it increasingly difficult to challenge us.

Yep agreed.  usually our budget is very similar to hibs and Aberdeen so so we don’t really have a divine right to it but we should be better than them more often than not..

Also to the point you make, our budget is close enough to those around us that several other variables come into play injuries, suspensions, fixture order, fixture contention.  

£2/3m really isn’t a huge differential.  It’s certainly not anything like to £20/30 m shortfall we have to the uglies.  If they don’t finish 1st and 2nd they have failed massively 

out job is to grow the revenue, secure 3rd again and again then figure out how the hell we could get closer.  Short of some Middle Eastern investment I’m not sure it can ever happen

Victorian
2 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Yep agreed.  usually our budget is very similar to hibs and Aberdeen so so we don’t really have a divine right to it but we should be better than them more often than not..

Also to the point you make, our budget is close enough to those around us that several other variables come into play injuries, suspensions, fixture order, fixture contention.  

£2/3m really isn’t a huge differential.  It’s certainly not anything like to £20/30 m shortfall we have to the uglies.  If they don’t finish 1st and 2nd they have failed massively 

out job is to grow the revenue, secure 3rd again and again then figure out how the hell we could get closer.  Short of some Middle Eastern investment I’m not sure it can ever happen

Exactly.

Historically we've never managed to take advantage of our resources to be 3rd for 3,4,5 seasons or more.  Right now,  an opportunity has opened up to do exactly that.  The previously unavailable funds via Europe.  There's also the relatively new income stream from the Foundation and whatever benefactor investments come along.  If we monopolise the European cash for as long as it's available,  a huge financial advantage exists.  For the first time,  it's possible to occupy a space that is unattainable for anyone else.  

I think the next step is to be in Europe and learn to compete in and achieve in Europe.  Become a club that can expect to progress through qualifying rounds when required to do so.  Not rely on pool stage football being handed to us.

If we're consistently in a position of strength like that,  cup wins will become more likely.  They'll probably come.

The Goalscoring Knee
12 hours ago, GorgieFifeLife said:

Naismith in the media this morning saying he believes we have exceeded expectations this season.  If he believes that expectations are so low that we have exceeded them that is a major worry and you have to question his understanding of what is expected at the club.

***Other Clubs Summer Transfer Thread 2023***

GorgieFifeLife replied to tartofmidlothian's topic in The Terrace

I see us struggling this season. No signings who are proven in this league is a disaster waiting to happen.

Maybe we shouldn't set the expectations bar so low, I guess 😎

King prawn
2 minutes ago, The Goalscoring Knee said:

I see us struggling this season. No signings who are proven in this league is a disaster waiting to happen.

:sweeet:

kingantti1874
9 minutes ago, The Goalscoring Knee said:

👌🏻 around the time I blocked this fool.  Still convinced he’s an interloper .  Posts are always looking to stir up discontent. 

it gets suspicious after a while 

Hectormasson
2 hours ago, Victorian said:

some daft home results v well ,ross county,  and wee team, should have seen us further ahead, but thats football, lets just be glad we got lawrence shankland or we,d not be 3rd ,thats for sure....fth🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻

redjambo
2 hours ago, The Goalscoring Knee said:

:D

Oda be a JT
9 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

👌🏻 around the time I blocked this fool.  Still convinced he’s an interloper .  Posts are always looking to stir up discontent. 

it gets suspicious after a while 

Not saying they are an interloper, but this poster and one certain other is constantly posting negative comments or argumentative posts…maybe that is just their way of posting but the incredibly rare positive posts do raise suspicions and probably why every one of their posts are replied to in a certain way.

Not everyone is a ‘happy clapper’, but even the most negative long term posters on here still can be positive at times.

4marsbars

Those who think third should be the expectation really should study the history of our club.

GorgieFifeLife
12 hours ago, chester copperpot said:

Naysmiff oot.

🔔🔚

Absolutely not Naismith out but if he is going to talk garbage then it will be highlighted.  I would suggest the only bell end here is you.

GorgieFifeLife
11 hours ago, The Goalscoring Knee said:

To be fair plenty had huge reservations around that time but I’m sure a few will pretend that they knew all along that we would be fine.  Please remember that there is a difference in what as a club we should expect and what we predict will happen given the situation we were in early on.

The Goalscoring Knee
10 minutes ago, GorgieFifeLife said:

To be fair plenty had huge reservations around that time but I’m sure a few will pretend that they knew all along that we would be fine.  Please remember that there is a difference in what as a club we should expect and what we predict will happen given the situation we were in early on.

I don't think it's unreasonable for Naismith for Naismith to say what he did.

“I think we have exceeded a lot of expectation, especially the expectation from outside after the first couple of months of the season".

"We as a club" - unless you're party to the inner workings at Tynecastle I'm more inclined to think Naismith has the inside track on expectations within. 

As supporters, I would suggest that, for every season (and for most fans), we set out in hope, not expectation - distinguishing between the two lessens the inevitable disappointments.

Rudy T
1 hour ago, GorgieFifeLife said:

So what are your expectations???

kingantti1874
9 hours ago, Oda be a JT said:

Not saying they are an interloper, but this poster and one certain other is constantly posting negative comments or argumentative posts…maybe that is just their way of posting but the incredibly rare positive posts do raise suspicions and probably why every one of their posts are replied to in a certain way.

Not everyone is a ‘happy clapper’, but even the most negative long term posters on here still can be positive at times.

agreed.  We have some negative supporters but that’s fine, but we have a few who just spin and twist every story, every post into having a go at the club.  Not even remotely subtle 

I have a lot on my block list, my hibs twat accuracy is about 80% .  

ps.  Just incase he hasn’t blocked me, quite a lot of people weren’t pretending the threads and the views of most of us are out there .  No pretending going on. 

GorgieFifeLife
6 hours ago, Rudy T said:

So what are your expectations???

Be closer  to the Old Firm, put in better performances, go further in Europe and get to a final.

Bazzas right boot
10 hours ago, 4marsbars said:

Those who think third should be the expectation really should study the history of our club.

That gives context but rarely, if ever has the  club been-

Bad Debt free.

Backed by benefactors.

European group stage football money x2 in 3 seasons.

Tynecastle Sell outs.

Foh money.

Infrastructure making more money than ever.

We have never had this strong a platform heading  into a new season. 

Ofc, we have no right tp 3rd, Aberdeen and  Hibs should be close to us given the history and size of the clubs but going forward we are in our strongest position off the field ever and have been good on it, this therefore rightly increases expectations and our history is a bit irrelevant in terms of how we should  be performing now.

For example, same club and history  but the Expectations in our admin season v now will have rightly been adjusted and are much higher.

Bazzas right boot
20 hours ago, The Goalscoring Knee said:

You can't make that up.

tian447
36 minutes ago, GorgieFifeLife said:

Be closer  to the Old Firm, put in better performances, go further in Europe and get to a final.

20 hours ago, The Goalscoring Knee said:

Alexa, define expectation.

tian447

PS - 3rd might be the expectation for Hearts fans, but it's not usually the reality.

22 hours ago, Victorian said:

I think this is pretty fair! My view of a successful season is 3rd + going till we hit the OF in the cups. As you say, any Hearts fan with expectations around actually winning a cup is in for a shock :lol: Overcoming the OF is a massive hurdle and takes a lot of things coming together. A tall order, but if we go at both cups giving them the respect they deserve (the cups I mean) then in the right circumstances, who knows? Might get lucky one year and Rangers get put out by a diddy in a freak result and Celtic go out too. St Johnstone pulled a blinder a few years back with luck being on their side in that manner - in their League cup win, they completely dodged the OF and in the Scottish cup they were able to drag Rangers to penalties and had a bit of luck on their side. It can be done, just need to make sure we're staying in both comps as long as possible. 

15 minutes ago, tian447 said:

PS - 3rd might be the expectation for Hearts fans, but it's not usually the reality.

I'm not disagreeing, but I do think that A.) we're the 3rd largest team by supporter size and B.) we've been ran appallingly prior to Ann Budge coming in (and latterly Joe Savage). We were financially ****ed prior to Vlad, and then mismanaged and left still financially ****ed - we were still able to finish 3rd multiple times throughout that period. Its like the potential is there, but if we're not being ran in a professional and competent manner, the wheels can quickly come off. 

I think that now that we have a competent team on and off the field we will begin to realise our potential and start to put 3rd place into a chokehold. 

Rudy T
1 hour ago, GorgieFifeLife said:

So you think in one season we’ll qualify from the European group stages, meanwhile winning the majority of our domestic games including all our cup matches while performing well in all of those games? Seriously man that’s delusional, with our squad and the quality of European opposition and playing Thursday/Sunday if that’s your expectation it’s going to be a depressing long hard season for you!

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, GorgieFifeLife said:

Your expectation was we were going to struggle, looks like SN was right as we certainly exceeded your expectations. 

Edited by Dazo

Ex member of the SaS
On 03/05/2024 at 07:07, 4marsbars said:

Club history has nothing to do with where we are now. FoH money, Benefactors money, Euro money and League and TV money all better than the rest so we SHOULD be performing better than the rest. Expectation should be third but as someone said we are further ahead than many ( including myself  ) thought we would be. So lets use the money wisely but try hard to get much better players ( signings so far look good ) and kick on to third next season. IF the bigot twins can command the top two then we can command third. Expectation for next season has to be third again with the same gap and exceeding that expectation is getting closer to second.

tartofmidlothian

This thread deserves a bump after today's result. One full season as a manager and he's delivered our best league result in more than a decade. We're lucky to have him, hope he goes from strength to strength now.

Deodato

I've said it before, I'll say it again. 

The watch word with Naismith is 'composure' - he was pleading for it last season, and he's been seeing it this season - we need to expect it 24/7 next seasons. I think the game against (a decent) Dundee when we came from behind was the best example of Naismith's management and emphasis on composure. We never lost our heads, we kept our shape and left Tayside with three points. 

That, for me, was a game that showed progress. Mental progress. 

mr fox
On 28/04/2024 at 11:52, Rudy T said:

What a manger this lad is turning into.

Steely focus on building us into a great side. Never panics, never gets over excited just stays on the same path.

His in game management has been exceptional all season.

Even after the semi you could tell he knew we weren’t far away and firmly has them in his sights for next season.

And let’s not forget this is his first season, for someone that’s supposed to be still learning he’s schooled a few old heads this season.

The pressures of Europe are really going to test him next season but at least he’s had a taste of a few games this season. 

Might have been a huge slice of luck how he got the gig and we could’ve went a different route but we’ve landed on our feet with this guy!

Yip I think he will have a good career in management. Got Sonething