Steven Naismith Appreciation Thread

Rudy T

Ricardo Quaresma
1 hour ago, micole said:

You couldn't care less about finishing 3rd!!.....ok then let's just chuck £5 million doon the drain. We all want to win 🏆 but we also have to deal with reality. And at the present 3rd is a good achievement and benefits the club.

More money, more wages, more bonuses, more Cups, amirite? :smuggy:

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• kingantti1874

• Ricardo Quaresma

• GorgieFifeLife

GorgieFifeLife
25 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Our league is a Mickey Mouse league which endorses your post.

I think the product is deteriorating and I include the uglies in that.  It’s a league which has clubs with a lot of passionate support but the standard is trending downwards.

Polonia Gorgie

Naismiths biggest test is still to come though, having Shankland has been a blessing for him. If Shankland doesn't sign replacing him will be massive. Also Robbie Nelson hardly left a complete shit show, Naismith took over a good squad low on confidence 

Ricardo Quaresma
1 minute ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

More money, more wages, more bonuses, more Cups, amirite? :smuggy:

1 hour ago, gorgie rd eh11 said:

Finishing 3rd gives higher prize money and access to guaranteed European money which makes winning a trophy more attainable. 

It's not hard to understand.

Very next post; ^^^^ he gets it 👆

-

Edited by Ricardo Quaresma

3 minutes ago, Polonia Gorgie said:

Naismiths biggest test is still to come though, having Shankland has been a blessing for him. If Shankland doesn't sign replacing him will be massive. Also Robbie Nelson hardly left a complete shit show, Naismith took over a good squad low on confidence 

He left behind a player rift too, no? 

GinRummy
Just now, kila said:

If a team losing every games isn’t a shit show then what is ?

EH11 2NL
2 hours ago, Bull's-eye said:

Not really, i deal in fact not fiction.

This thread has accomplished nothing anyway, only upset the Golfers who think they have sole rights to the word "Par" and cant see it being used in any other way.

Par = average, normal . . . . Our season in other words.

We don't finish 3rd on average. Far from it.

HeartsandonlyHearts
17 minutes ago, GorgieFifeLife said:

10th gets you European football and millions in income?

Parttimer1875 is why it’s hard to take some “Hearts fans” serious on here.

dannymack
6 hours ago, Rudy T said:

What a manger this lad is turning into.

Steely focus on building us into a great side. Never panics, never gets over excited just stays on the same path.

His in game management has been exceptional all season.

Even after the semi you could tell he knew we weren’t far away and firmly has them in his sights for next season.

And let’s not forget this is his first season, for someone that’s supposed to be still learning he’s schooled a few old heads this season.

The pressures of Europe are really going to test him next season but at least he’s had a taste of a few games this season. 

Might have been a huge slice of luck how he got the gig and we could’ve went a different route but we’ve landed on our feet with this guy!

I'm in agreement with you... however I don't think Steven Naismith, Frank Mcavoy and Gordon Forrest will ever win over the prehistoric dinosaurs within our fan base who still thrive on the blood & guts, gung ho', let's get up and at them attitude of the 1970s & 1980s (not a very good period mind)

The Boo Boys (and girls) will continue to boo regardless, the fans who curse and swear at every bad pass back or mistimed pass will also continue to do so, nothing will change, its in their systems for life.

If Naisy, Frankie and Gordy (Gogs) ever become silverware winners then I for one will be the first to be ever so thankful for their efforts... im not so sure about the greetin faced *******s within our fan base that are never happy... let them be careful for what they wish for... we may lose a rookie who is being nurtured into something good alongside two very, very good and credible coaches. 

HeartsandonlyHearts
16 minutes ago, Polonia Gorgie said:

We’re another season away from replacing Shankland. Or we have money to spend on a replacement this Summer.

Hearts won’t sell Shankland after July 31 unless for a decent amount.

Polonia Gorgie
12 minutes ago, kila said:

Which to his credit, Naismith emptied straight away

Polonia Gorgie
12 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

If a team losing every games isn’t a shit show then what is ?

I was more meaning that he didn't leave us in the state that Hibs n Aberdeen are in

Bull's-eye
9 minutes ago, EH11 2NL said:

We don't finish 3rd on average. Far from it.

This season we do 😜

The Real Maroonblood
25 minutes ago, GorgieFifeLife said:

I think the product is deteriorating and I include the uglies in that.  It’s a league which has clubs with a lot of passionate support but the standard is trending downwards.

I agree.

kingantti1874

3rd isn’t a massive achievement, but it is the maximum we can reasonably expect from anyone. We can hope for better but we are in no position to demand it.

winning the league is completely impossible with the level of player we have and the level of player we can afford. Our total wage bill is £15m. Less than 1/4 of the old firm.  (Aware that is total and not playing) but the gap is colossal.  

at best we’d get 3/4 players in the squad of the Glasgow teams and maybe 1 in their starting lineup.  

Edited by kingantti1874

HeartsandonlyHearts
15 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

3rd isn’t a massive achievement, but it is the maximum we can reasonably expect from anyone. We can hope for better but we are in no position to demand it.

winning the league is completely impossible with the level of player we have and the level of player we can afford. Our total wage bill is £15m. Less than 1/4 of the old firm.  (Aware that is total and not playing) but the gap is colossal.  

at best we’d get 3/4 players in the squad of the Glasgow teams and maybe 1 in their starting lineup.  

The money is only a small part of why we’ll never win the league. Scottish football in general is a bogey. 

Go for it 1308
2 hours ago, Parttimer1874 said:

Because it means just as much ultimately IMO

You're at the wind up surely?

6 hours ago, Bull's-eye said:

I'd give the board more credit for toughing it out while a considerable amount amongst us where wetting their pants.

Is Naisy a good manager?

We've had a decent Par season, i want and expect better next and beyond.

So, doing the job adequately with no frills for me.

It's the attention to detail that's assuring me he is in fact a good manager. Not afraid to change things when they're clearly not working, and not persisting with shite every week like we've seen from other managers.

I get all the 3rd is par for the course chat but he came in with zero experience managing at this level and got us 3rd comfortably while integrating youth players in the team, transforming older pros including Shankland into quality players and completely changing the mentality around the place. That alone 3rd or not is why I think we’ve absolutely lucked out with him. 
Look at the shit shows rookie managers have created elsewhere.

Listen to his interviews, he’s consistent in his message, we are Hearts and we win games in this league. We don’t accept defeat and we continue to play in a way that gets us results no matter who we play.

Our Scottish cup run was littered with tricky ties, he didn’t flinch he kept us playing his way, no panic just keep believing in his methods and we overcame those ties with ease.

This isn’t his team it’s shaping up more to what he wants but I’d say another couple of windows before we really see Naismiths team.

We need to treasure Naisy while he’s here I could honest see Shankland being at Hearts longer than the boss!

kingantti1874
17 minutes ago, HeartsandonlyHearts said:

The money is only a small part of why we’ll never win the league. Scottish football in general is a bogey. 

I do agree with that but I think it’s 70% that and 30% other factors.

the cold hard truth is, nearly all of their players are better than nearly all of our players.  

money buys quality, pace, power and attitude.  Football has changed, the only time in the last 30 years where we genuinely stepped in the pitch and I’m thinking.  Out player are better than theirs was 2005/2006.  It didn’t happen before that in my lifetime and I hasn’t happened since

Edited by kingantti1874

4 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

I do agree with that but I think it’s 70% that and 30% other factors.

the cold hard truth is, nearly all of their players are better than nearly all of our players.  

money buys quality, pace, power and attitude.  Football has changed, the only time in the last 30 years where we genuinely stepped in the pitch and I’m thinking.  Out player are better than theirs was 2005/2006.  It didn’t happen before that in my lifetime and I hasn’t happened since

I do think under Naismith we will be better than the sum of our parts, enough to win the league is a stretch but we can get closer and compete. Competing means going to Hampden and going toe to toe with them which I thought we did for large parts of the game last week. The quality bore out in the final 3rd they bagged their chances we didn’t. I think Naismith can improve our players though and that’s why I think next season we will see a final at least.

upgotheheads
7 hours ago, Bull's-eye said:

I'd give the board more credit for toughing it out while a considerable amount amongst us where wetting their pants.

Is Naisy a good manager?

We've had a decent Par season, i want and expect better next and beyond.

So, doing the job adequately with no frills for me.

You're either a non-golfer or a very good one.

boag1874
1 hour ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Not now, 4th is a sackable offence now.

3rd is good imo, but we've now set our stall out in a way that 4th is a sackable position,  I don't agree with it tbh. If we finished 4th next season I'd still back Naismith, but the club has set the new standard.

Could be a good thing. 

You’re pretty much right but I think theres more factors than just league position imo. If we finish behind a strong team then I can accept it even though it’s still really frustrating.

Last season to me a bigger concern than the fact we finished 4th was the manner we went about it. We absolutely collapsed at the first sign of a challenge and surrendered a huge points lead, the dressing room was fractured, we couldn’t buy an away win, Aberdeen finished 3rd with a pretty low points total and were absolutely mince for a big chunk of the season, we had no plans for youth development in place, the team selections seemed random at times particularly at home to Rangers when the rot started & there were a couple of players who were immune to being dropped while others would be hooked immediately and stuck on the sidelines after one poor game.

Ricardo Quaresma
39 minutes ago, boag1874 said:

You’re pretty much right but I think theres more factors than just league position imo. If we finish behind a strong team then I can accept it even though it’s still really frustrating.

Last season to me a bigger concern than the fact we finished 4th was the manner we went about it. We absolutely collapsed at the first sign of a challenge and surrendered a huge points lead, the dressing room was fractured, we couldn’t buy an away win, Aberdeen finished 3rd with a pretty low points total and were absolutely mince for a big chunk of the season, we had no plans for youth development in place, the team selections seemed random at times particularly at home to Rangers when the rot started & there were a couple of players who were immune to being dropped while others would be hooked immediately and stuck on the sidelines after one poor game.

It was a blessing in disguise and the only caveat was it was a bit early for Naismith, RE the last badge of the three

Worth it though eh?

boag1874
20 minutes ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

It was a blessing in disguise and the only caveat was it was a bit early for Naismith, RE the last badge of the three

Worth it though eh?

100%

7 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

From certain  sections of our support, a average record v hibs and defeats to the likes to Ross county would ( did ) have folk calling for sackings .

If we'd scored this amount of goals under Bob there would  be folk swinging from the ceiling banging on about boring football. 

It's a good thing tho, the most rabid are a bit more balanced, less agitation.

There will be bumps in the Road under Naismith,  it's good the rage element is not itching for change.

He's a massive upgrade on Neilson.

gordon simpson

not had as good a  feeling about a manager since Alex MacDonald  

Bazzas right boot
3 hours ago, boag1874 said:

Maybe, but 4th behind Aberdeen?

4th is now the new 7th

Standards- set.

Armageddon

I really hope he stays for a few more years and gains the valuable experience of maybe 3 European season while closing the gap, he’ll know more than anyone that the managerial

merry-go-round can be a disaster.

Also, his Mrs has opened her own dental practice since he retired so he’s hardly going to want to move down south and leave her here - I hope anyway.

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

I really hope he stays for a few more years and gains the valuable experience of maybe 3 European season while closing the gap, he’ll know more than anyone that the managerial

merry-go-round can be a disaster.

Also, his Mrs has opened her own dental practice since he retired so he’s hardly going to want to move down south and leave her here - I hope anyway.

He’s probably too long in the tooth to moving any time soon.

boag1874
5 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

4th is now the new 7th

Standards- set.

Listen I think Neilson was a good manager for us & I backed him right up til he became untenable, but 4th behind Aberdeen really doesn’t tell the whole story of what caused him to lose his job. See if Aberdeen had a great season and finished on 65+ points then fair enough. They didn’t though, they were genuinely poor & we still couldn’t match their pretty low total, that’s what annoys me more than anything.

PHSCAndy

Like many have posted on this forum we’re hopefully embarking on an exciting journey and I believe that given time Naismith will go from strength to strength.  
Whilst I appreciate it’s still early days I’m old enough to recall Alex Ferguson’s initial success with St Mirren and I’m hopeful we’re about to embark on a similar journey with Naismith at the helm. 🤞

There I’ve said it! 😀

Sub4TiddlerMurray
6 hours ago, PHSCAndy said:

Like many have posted on this forum we’re hopefully embarking on an exciting journey and I believe that given time Naismith will go from strength to strength.  
Whilst I appreciate it’s still early days I’m old enough to recall Alex Ferguson’s initial success with St Mirren and I’m hopeful we’re about to embark on a similar journey with Naismith at the helm. 🤞

There I’ve said it! 😀

I’m on this train! I’d much prefer to be on the Jambo journey with the glass half full folk than the ‘nuthin is ever good enough’ brigade. 

All this “par” chat is nonsense. 

He hit all his targets at the first attempt. 

If that is average, then the targets have not been set high enough. 

Second place or a trophy gets talked about for years if not decades. Trying to position oneself as an Überfan by saying these should be routine just comes across as entitled. So does dismissing regular top 3 finishes due to our budget, as this has been beyond for most of the past. 

Naismith has done an extremely professional and unflashy job of improving us in all metrics. He has built the foundations for next season to be better still. 

Describing this as average is mental. 

tiger Rudi
13 hours ago, Bull's-eye said:

I can guarantee you that 4th would have been followed by calls for Naisy to be sacked.

The point remains that the support on a whole and the club itself wanted 3rd and Hampden trips. Anything above that is worthy of note.

Hence why im sitting at Par for the season.

I think in any season that both Aberdeen and Hibs are pretty dire, 4th should be seen as failure. 

However they can't and will not be as bad again........surely. 

We will need to up our game next season. Aberdeen will be stronger, if Kilmarnock hang on to their players, they too will be a force again. 

Finishing 3rd will be a good achievement if we are the best of the rest in a strong league. Can't really say that this year tbh. 

I hope ourselves and others can start taking points off the OF on a more regular basis. Who knows, in that scenario and if we continue to improve, we might just get closer to the OF. I agree splitting them would be a great season. 

I think that's within our reach if we sign well and manage to cope with the demands of Europe. 

saxondale
13 hours ago, dannymack said:

I'm in agreement with you... however I don't think Steven Naismith, Frank Mcavoy and Gordon Forrest will ever win over the prehistoric dinosaurs within our fan base who still thrive on the blood & guts, gung ho', let's get up and at them attitude of the 1970s & 1980s (not a very good period mind)

The Boo Boys (and girls) will continue to boo regardless, the fans who curse and swear at every bad pass back or mistimed pass will also continue to do so, nothing will change, its in their systems for life.

If Naisy, Frankie and Gordy (Gogs) ever become silverware winners then I for one will be the first to be ever so thankful for their efforts... im not so sure about the greetin faced *******s within our fan base that are never happy... let them be careful for what they wish for... we may lose a rookie who is being nurtured into something good alongside two very, very good and credible coaches. 

Beautifully put.

Bad Religion
42 minutes ago, CMc said:

All this “par” chat is nonsense. 

He hit all his targets at the first attempt. 

If that is average, then the targets have not been set high enough. 

Second place or a trophy gets talked about for years if not decades. Trying to position oneself as an Überfan by saying these should be routine just comes across as entitled. So does dismissing regular top 3 finishes due to our budget, as this has been beyond for most of the past. 

Naismith has done an extremely professional and unflashy job of improving us in all metrics. He has built the foundations for next season to be better still. 

Describing this as average is mental. 

It’s happy clapper bullshit. 

They’re just upset that Naismith has outperformed their Bob in his first season in senior management. Pretty pathetic really. 

Edited by Bad Religion

Americana

I admit I didn't have much confidence in the beginning, but I do love to be proved wrong.

Have a feeling another season with 3rd looking tied up and he will prob get poached by some championship side. 

43 minutes ago, Bad Religion said:

It’s happy clapper bullshit. 

They’re just upset that Naismith has outperformed their Bob in his first season in senior management. Pretty pathetic really. 

:spoton:

Funny how we never heard the same remarks from them about Neilson when he was failing. I think one who posted a lot on this thread said it was the fans fault that Neilson was underperforming :laugh:

gregzy2k7

He's done a great job,

Was not a fan at the time of his appointment in all honesty, I thought the whole Mccavoy head coach/Naisy technical director thing was a bit strange at the time, but most probably that was down to our poor start to the season.

He has definitely turned it around though since then, I genuinely think we have gotten better as the season has gone on tbh, that means that the players are being coached properly and are improving, I really like the fact he is not afraid to change personel and or tactics early in a match if things are not working, starting to become a really big fan, 

What I would say though is I feel there is a lot more to come, would like to see us be a bit more adventurous at times and try and batter a team if possible, feel there is a couple more gears that this team could go up if we were to add 4 or 5 more quality players to the team.

Love the Naismith song 🎵  as well 

Ricardo Quaresma
11 hours ago, boag1874 said:

Listen I think Neilson was a good manager for us & I backed him right up til he became untenable, but 4th behind Aberdeen really doesn’t tell the whole story of what caused him to lose his job. See if Aberdeen had a great season and finished on 65+ points then fair enough. They didn’t though, they were genuinely poor & we still couldn’t match their pretty low total, that’s what annoys me more than anything.

I dare say the team coping in Europe and Domestically without getting an absolute horsing from a team we didn't really deserve to get and a vlad type team and still roaring back to an 11 point lead, only to chuck it all away in a baffling manner, then appointing SN too late was pretty annoying, yes :yes:

-

Edited by Ricardo Quaresma
Added 'then appointing SN too late'

Shooter McGavin

After the first 10 games of the season, where we'd only won 2 games and scored just 9 goals, I was really worried that we'd made a big mistake in hiring him.

I really didn't see the drastic turnaround from November onwards coming. I'm absolutely delighted to have been proven wrong. It's been an enjoyable season with him at the helm, and he deserves enormous credit 👏

Diego10
12 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

4th is now the new 7th

Standards- set.

Neilson didn't get sacked for finishing 4th.  He got sacked because he'd overseen an absolutely shambolic run and the team didn't look capable of getting anything out of any game.  Aberdeen finished 3rd with 57 points and a negative goal difference, because we persisted with him when he'd run his course.

The financial gap between us, Aberdeen and Hibs is nowhere near big enough for anyone to guarantee third, especially if someone gets a good run of form.  What will be unacceptable to the club is failing to maintain a decent standard.

Naismith has had a very good first season.  There's things to work on for sure but it's inarguable that we are a better team at the end of the season than we were at the start, and that's pretty much what you'd want from any manager

davemclaren
34 minutes ago, Diego10 said:

Neilson didn't get sacked for finishing 4th.  He got sacked because he'd overseen an absolutely shambolic run and the team didn't look capable of getting anything out of any game.  Aberdeen finished 3rd with 57 points and a negative goal difference, because we persisted with him when he'd run his course.

The financial gap between us, Aberdeen and Hibs is nowhere near big enough for anyone to guarantee third, especially if someone gets a good run of form.  What will be unacceptable to the club is failing to maintain a decent standard.

Naismith has had a very good first season.  There's things to work on for sure but it's inarguable that we are a better team at the end of the season than we were at the start, and that's pretty much what you'd want from any manager

Good post. 

SectionDJambo

Steven Naismith had a few requirements from the Hearts board to accomplish. Finishing at least 3rd and introducing academy youngsters into the team were two of them that he has achieved despite early pressure being heaped on him.

His coaching, and those from his supporting coaches, has improved players and significantly improved our defensive performances, through recruitment and better organisation.
I watched a wee video of our game in Florence this morning. Not withstanding the quality of the opposition, our defending was a shambles, which wasn’t an unusual occurrence over last season.

Add in reaching 2 semi finals, although ultimately disappointing, it has been a solid start to his coaching career.

Next season will be a greater challenge for him, with European football and the probable improvement from our traditional rivals for league position. 
I’ve heard that the coaching licence issue won’t be a problem next season, so he won’t have to contend with all the nonsense he had to at the start of this season. 

RustyRightPeg
1 hour ago, Diego10 said:

Pretty much bang on mate.

Naismith deserves a lot of credit as it seems like we've salvaged a lot of games or at least won a lot in the 2nd half after him tweaking things tactically. That's something we rarely saw under the previous 2 or 3 regimes.

To do that you need your players believing in you and your system, he seems to have that. It isn't always pretty, but Naismith has come from the Moyes/Walter Smith school of football, where winning takes precedent.

Pasquale for King
21 hours ago, Parttimer1874 said:

St Johnstone have won three major trophies since we last won anything of significance.

Forgive me if I don’t crack the champagne open at finishing best of the rest and getting horsed in two semi finals. 

Exactly 

7 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Exactly 

When did you become so glass half empty? :D 

Pasquale for King

A big black mark is his inability to work out how to get the tactics right to beat Rangers, if he makes it none out of seven in a few weeks there will be a bad taste left in the mouth over the summer. 

Pasquale for King
29 minutes ago, kila said:

When did you become so glass half empty? :D 

Half empty, mines is finished and smashed on the floor 😜