Oysters

FWJ

Canscot
12 hours ago, RobNox said:

Fresh oysters would be my choice of starter for my last meal.  I love them.  I don't go in for the knock them down your throat approach though, I like to chew on them a bit and actually taste what I'm eating.  

IMG_3377.gif

Pans Jambo

Just getting over a heavy cold (proper man flu).

You know that green slimy stuff that runs down the back of your throat that you hawk up and spit out???

Yip!!! Oysters!

scott herbertson

Was forced to swallow one once

Disgusting 

..and tastless as you don't chew it - what's the point?

I had my revenge though as the international group i was with had to eat haggis (which I love) as well

PortyJambo
10 hours ago, scott herbertson said:

I had my revenge though as the international group i was with had to eat haggis (which I love) as well

I'm sure they loved that though. Have given that to visitors before and, as long as they don't get put off by the ingredients, they usually enjoy it. A guy from Chile absolutely loved it and was really disappointed when I never gave them haggis the second time they visited us!

scott herbertson
Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, PortyJambo said:

I'm sure they loved that though. Have given that to visitors before and, as long as they don't get put off by the ingredients, they usually enjoy it. A guy from Chile absolutely loved it and was really disappointed when I never gave them haggis the second time they visited us!

Mostly they did

It was an odd occasion, way back in the 1980s when we went to visit a Scottsish friend who had married a Frenchman., down in Clermont Ferrand. She taught English and we were  asked to bring  a 'local delicacy' over as her international students were each going to bring something from their country which we would all take

Had to smuggle the haggis over on the ferry and had a moment of hilarity at an overnight stop in Paris where I had to ask the North African hotel staff to store it in a fridge overnight (as it was hot and not air conditioned in our room) . The looks on the reception staff's faces when I brought out a bomb shaped thing in tin foil and I  unwrapped it gingerly then they stepped backwards away from it while I tried to explain it was  a 'Scottish sausage' in my crap French......!

Edited by scott herbertson

Francis Albert
On 09/05/2024 at 02:18, RobNox said:

Fresh oysters would be my choice of starter for my last meal.  I love them.  I don't go in for the knock them down your throat approach though, I like to chew on them a bit and actually taste what I'm eating.  

As I am getting on a bit my appetite is not what it  was and any substantial starter kills it for the rest of the meal. Oysters are the perfect starter as when eaten raw  they are insubstantial and too expensive to have  much more than three. They also refresh the palate.

Now seen as a luxury they used to be cheap street food dating back to the Romans. Pollution killed off many oyster beds for example in New York.They are being reintroduced there and other places  where the water has been cleaned up.

PortyJambo
1 hour ago, Francis Albert said:

Pollution killed off many oyster beds for example in New York.They are being reintroduced there and other places  where the water has been cleaned up.

They're being re-introduced in the Forth too.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cd18j0d4538o

Although, going by this sentence from the article, I don't think they'll be getting served up to eat any time soon!

"The oysters can also feed on organic particles, which could potentially come from untreated sewage outflow into the Firth of Forth."

RobNox
2 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

As I am getting on a bit my appetite is not what it  was and any substantial starter kills it for the rest of the meal. Oysters are the perfect starter as when eaten raw  they are insubstantial and too expensive to have  much more than three. They also refresh the palate.

Now seen as a luxury they used to be cheap street food dating back to the Romans. Pollution killed off many oyster beds for example in New York.They are being reintroduced there and other places  where the water has been cleaned up.

You're right FA.  Even if you go back to the Victorian age, oysters were a staple of the working class diet.  It's strange how things can change and what was once considered "peasant" food is now considered a luxury.  

Seaside Dave

Never had them tbh only seafood other than fish I've had is dulse 😂

Canscot
1 hour ago, Seaside Dave said:

Never had them tbh only seafood other than fish I've had is dulse 😂

But, but! You’re Seaside Dave ffs! 
Try to at least live up to your name man!

Seaside Dave
6 hours ago, Canscot said:

But, but! You’re Seaside Dave ffs! 
Try to at least live up to your name man!

😂😂 

Doctor FinnBarr
5 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

How much are Oysters ?.

No idea, don't know if any supermarkets sell them. Waitrose maybe but never been in one.

Harry Potter
14 minutes ago, Doctor FinnBarr said:

No idea, don't know if any supermarkets sell them. Waitrose maybe but never been in one.

cheers.

Morgan
6 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

How much are Oysters ?.

I don’t know about the UK, Harry, but they are about 7 Euros for.a dozen in a supermarket over here, and around 15 Euros for 6 in a restaurant.

Harry Potter
3 hours ago, Morgan said:

I don’t know about the UK, Harry, but they are about 7 Euros for.a dozen in a supermarket over here, and around 15 Euros for 6 in a restaurant.

Thats reasonable, hope you are well bud.

Morgan
1 hour ago, Harry Potter said:

Thats reasonable, hope you are well bud.

Very well thanks, Mr P.

I hope you are too?

Maple Leaf
21 hours ago, RobNox said:

You're right FA.  Even if you go back to the Victorian age, oysters were a staple of the working class diet.  It's strange how things can change and what was once considered "peasant" food is now considered a luxury.  

Similarly, lobster was "peasant food" served to the staff by rich Americans in the 1800s.

PortyJambo
5 hours ago, Morgan said:

I think they're between £2-3 each in restaurants here, so not a lot of difference there. They can be more expensive though, Ondine in Edinburgh charges £21 for 6, but that's a more expensive (and very good) fish restaurant. They do an oyster "happy hour" during the week where they sell them for £2.50 each though.

I don't think I've seen oysters in supermarkets here, but I probably wouldn't buy them from a supermarket in this country, you'd have no idea how long they've been out of the sea before being sold. 

Harry Potter
13 hours ago, Morgan said:

Very well thanks, Mr P.

I hope you are too?

Great mate since the warmer weather has arrived.