Doha airport/connecting flight advice (if anyone's had it)

BudgeUp

BudgeUp

I've never had to get a connecting flight before. In 2 weeks I'm.off to Tokyo with the wee man and I'm getting a connecting flight out of Doha. Both flights are Qatar and were booked at the same time.

Couple of questions. Do I need to get my baggage in Doha or is it automatically put on the next flight. 

Do I need to go through security or do i just go to a new gate.

How smooth is it?

Really anxious about those first two questions.

Ulysses
2 minutes ago, BudgeUp said:

I've never had to get a connecting flight before. In 2 weeks I'm.off to Tokyo with the wee man and I'm getting a connecting flight out of Doha. Both flights are Qatar and were booked at the same time.

Couple of questions. Do I need to get my baggage in Doha or is it automatically put on the next flight. 

Do I need to go through security or do i just go to a new gate.

How smooth is it?

Really anxious about those first two questions.

Were the flights booked as separate point to point flights, or are they all on the same ticket and booking?

Ulysses
16 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

Were the flights booked as separate point to point flights, or are they all on the same ticket and booking?

I was going to explain some stuff from my own experience, but actually I think you should ask the airline about your specific itinerary.  

manaliveits105

It's a huge airport and the Edinburgh flight is usually a bus to terminal which takes about 15 mins - then follow connections signs and go through hand luggage security which is pretty fast before finding your gate on screen or there's staff at foot of escalators who you can ask and they will point you in direction of gate .(they scan your ticket)

By sound of your ticket your cases will just go straight to your connection with Qatar Airlines that's normal 

Due to a delay Ive had only one hour between landing and connecting flight taking off and just made it - it's usually 2 hours at least which is fine .

Edited by manaliveits105

I travel through Doha quite frequently (well, at least once a year).

Your bags SHOULD go all the way to Japan - just check that with the airline though in case there is something odd about your tickets.

In Doha, if you're connecting you generally have to go through security again.  It has always been busy when I have been there, and it seems a bit chaotic, but you get through reasonably quickly, then go downstairs into the main departures area again.  It is where all the shops/restaurants are (as well as a slightly scary giant teddy bear sculpture).

Depending on which gate your flight to Japan is from, you might have to use the internal monorail to get there - it is dead easy/free - you dont need to go back outside to get on it.  

Mr Brightside

I have done Edinburgh to Johannesburg via Doha a few times for work. Your cases will get transferred flights automatically. You go through security again and any alcohol duty free will get searched to make sure it is still in the sealed bag. Keep the bag sealed and you will be fine.

Japan Jambo

When you check in confirm that your bags will be checked through (that is the norm). Doha airport is massive and a bit of a destination in itself with plenty shopping oportunities. Transiting through it is easy enough but there will be a fair bit of walking. As Uli says best to confirm with airline.

I read further up a comment about leaving duty free sealed. While transiting from the US to Thailand through Japan a few years ago the wife lost a bunch of expensive cosmetics she had bought as they broke the fluid limit rules when we went through transit (Japan is/was particularly strict). FWIW as a result I now never buy duty free when taking a connecting flight as the cost/benefit isn't worth it imo...

Legend Claws

Just done it to and from Australia. Bags went all way no problem. 2 hours each time and was fine.

You'll need to go through security again, but that's all within the same route when you come off your first flight.

It's a pretty amazing airport, there's a jungle in middle, great for a chill out between flights. Great play areas too.

RustyRightPeg

Never connected in Doha but very interested to hear about your trip to Japan. 

You should be fine. Just make sure that the check-in desk in Edinburgh knows your final destination and puts the right tags on your luggage.

We were in Japan last year, phenomenal place. Would go back in a heartbeat.

BudgeUp

Cheers for the replies. 

I booked the tickets through qatar app at the same time so it comes up "trip to tokyo" in the app so I'm guessing it's booked on the same ticket. 

I'm flying from Manchester (it was 400 cheaper and I get free parking in manchester). 

Feeling a bit less anxious today so thanks for that. 

BudgeUp
8 hours ago, Ulysses said:

I was going to explain some stuff from my own experience, but actually I think you should ask the airline about your specific itinerary.  

Yeah, irrespective of the advice on here I'll ask when I check the bags in. 

I'd still like to hear of your experience though if you wouldn't mind? 

Jamboross

You'll actually go through security twice, once when you enter the airport after deplaning and again when you get to your gate. I'd head to your gate as late as you possibly can, there are no shops, toilets etc once you're in there it's just a holding pen. 

Definitely check out the Orchard indoor rainforest while you're there, we found it quite tricky to find but it you take the train all the way along from the centre then keep walking for a bit you'll get there. It's a nice chill place to wait. If you've got long enough I'd highly recommend using the shower facilities too, there is a charge but being able to freshen up in the middle makes long haul so much more bearable. There's also showers at arrivals in Haneda airport in Tokyo if that's where you're heading.

If you need any tips for Japan feel free to ask, been a few times and starting to plan another trip there myself. 

Bungalow Bill

Assume it’s Hamad Interational airport you’re flying in to, and not Doha international. 

Hamad is a great airport, it’s easy to navigate. Like others have said ask the airline about your baggage, if the flights were booked on the same transaction then I’m sure the bags will be checked all the way through. 

For security, regardless of the airport just be prepared is my advice. I tend to put my belt, phone, watch etc into my rucksack as opposed to having to deal with lots of loose items at security. 

Ulysses
4 hours ago, BudgeUp said:

Yeah, irrespective of the advice on here I'll ask when I check the bags in. 

I'd still like to hear of your experience though if you wouldn't mind? 

Cheers.  The others have covered it.  I've booked through flights through a few different transit airports, and the bags have gone through no problem (even with 2 and in one case 3 changes), but I'd always ask when checking in the bags, because I've known other people for whom things went wrong.  You will have a check between the flights, but it should be efficient enough, and you'll have to take the other posters' advice about sealed bags and all that.  I've only carried duty-free alcohol through transit once, and that was thirty years ago and not in a Muslim jurisdiction.  A former workmate of mine told me a good story about Doha International, Irish whiskey, back bacon and a diplomatic bag, but that's not one for the forum. :ninja:

Jambo dans les Pyrenees
23 hours ago, BudgeUp said:

Cheers for the replies. 

I booked the tickets through qatar app at the same time so it comes up "trip to tokyo" in the app so I'm guessing it's booked on the same ticket. 

I'm flying from Manchester (it was 400 cheaper and I get free parking in manchester). 

Feeling a bit less anxious today so thanks for that. 

The other thing to know is that if on one ticket (which it sounds like you are) then the airline are responsible for getting your bags and indeed you and your kid to the final destination (Tokyo in this example) even if the inbound flight from Edinburgh to Doha is late and you miss the connection.  They’ll just put you on the next flight with seats.

Used to spend hours in Doha Airport flying to from Saudi to Cyprus. One of my favorite airports. Omega shop is class! Haha. If your flight booked as a whole with Qatar your bags should go right through. The Al Maha lounge is awesome, food is top notch!