Resin Bonded Driveways. Anyone got one?

Mr Sifter

Mr Sifter

General question if that’s cool. I’m wanting this resin binding put down in my drive, I appreciate there’s actually a difference between resin bound and resin bonded surfaces. Just wondered if anyone on here has had it done, and if there were any recommendations from the good folk of JKB. 

Done a wee bit research and I think it looks fantastic. It’s hard wearing and retains its colour for years. Quite fancy a nice dark grey with maroon borders to be honest 😊

Mr Sifter
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Pictures?

A quick google brought up threse just to illustrate what I’m talkin about. It’s hard wearing and as I say, looks very clean and tidy. Despite being ‘solid’ it’s porous too, so any rain/oil spills etc disappear. 

Really fancy it like, looking for a decent reliable company to gimme a quote. 

IMG_6430.jpeg

IMG_6429.jpeg

IMG_6428.jpeg

IMG_6427.jpeg

Edited by Mr Sifter

I've done a few .

Look cracking but can tire if buff or lighter colours.

12mm for walking .

50mm minimum for light traffic.

Choose wisely who you get to install .

Check for hungry and use uv protection if light.

Also check supplier.

Some gravel is cheaper but dustier.

Can't quite remember the cost but installation used to match material costs.

Also if the grounds free draining no need for gullys etc.

Can look really tidy though.

Just now, Jim_Duncan said:

There's cheaper ways to get rid of bodies.

Pig farms apparently.

Ulysses
1 hour ago, Mr Sifter said:

General question if that’s cool. I’m wanting this resin binding put down in my drive, I appreciate there’s actually a difference between resin bound and resin bonded surfaces. Just wondered if anyone on here has had it done, and if there were any recommendations from the good folk of JKB. 

Done a wee bit research and I think it looks fantastic. It’s hard wearing and retains its colour for years. Quite fancy a nice dark grey with maroon borders to be honest 😊

I can't help you with advice, but Mme U and I have been discussing exactly the same idea for the last few days.  So even though we're not in Scotland I'd be interested to hear if anyone got one done and what their experience has been like.

We were chatting with someone who lives a couple of streets away and who got one done about 3 years ago.  It looks really well and she's happy with it.  But she said it's not cheap to get it done right. 

1 hour ago, indianajones said:

Dl9Zt1yW0AEU-Bg.jpg

I wondered where I'd gleaned that information from.

That's a bit worrying actually.

superjack
8 minutes ago, Ked said:

I wondered where I'd gleaned that information from.

That's a bit worrying actually.

I actually read your answer as if it was bricktop saying it.

1 minute ago, superjack said:

I actually read your answer as if it was bricktop saying it.

Wait.

Bricktop?

Quite tempted to get one of these myself. How does the cost weigh up against monobloc? 

Sooperstar

Are these things not a complete nightmare to get rid of when you want to change them?

Samuel Camazzola
3 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Are these things not a complete nightmare to get rid of when you want to change them?

All the better for concealing the remains. 

16 hours ago, Mr Sifter said:

A quick google brought up threse just to illustrate what I’m talkin about. It’s hard wearing and as I say, looks very clean and tidy. Despite being ‘solid’ it’s porous too, so any rain/oil spills etc disappear. 

Really fancy it like, looking for a decent reliable company to gimme a quote. 

Only porous if you go resin bound, resin bonded isn't (I think)

Cost will very hugely depending on what kind of driveway you have just now and the amount of groundwork needed before the new surface is laid 

John Findlay
16 hours ago, Ulysses said:

I can't help you with advice, but Mme U and I have been discussing exactly the same idea for the last few days.  So even though we're not in Scotland I'd be interested to hear if anyone got one done and what their experience has been like.

We were chatting with someone who lives a couple of streets away and who got one done about 3 years ago.  It looks really well and she's happy with it.  But she said it's not cheap to get it done right. 

You won't be short of a workforce over their in Dublin😉

Mr Sifter
6 hours ago, Ribble said:

Only porous if you go resin bound, resin bonded isn't (I think)

Cost will very hugely depending on what kind of driveway you have just now and the amount of groundwork needed before the new surface is laid 

Aye Ribble, I knew one of them was, and one wasn’t. Couldn’t mind what one was what tho 🤪

Looks like I’m gonnae have to do a fair bit research before taking the plunge. Truth be told I was hopin that someone on here was gonnae reply something like “I do it professionally, and I’ll do it for a good Jambo for £200” 🤪

Spellczech
21 hours ago, Ulysses said:

Cannot imagine it is a problem getting a driveway done in Ireland...

Ulysses
5 hours ago, John Findlay said:

You won't be short of a workforce over their in Dublin😉

10 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Cannot imagine it is a problem getting a driveway done in Ireland...

Why?

John Findlay
1 minute ago, Ulysses said:

Why?

Well it's mainly Irish people that do all the drives over here, especially London.

henryheart

Porosity is an important consideration, particularly if your driveway is on a slope leading down onto the road and footpath. The roads authority will no doubt require there to be no water run off onto a public road to reduce the potential for ice forming, which is why you see some houses with a drain running the full width of the driveway where it abuts the heel of the footpath. 

il Duce McTarkin
12 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

Why?

Tired racist stereotype.

Ulysses
15 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Well it's mainly Irish people that do all the drives over here, especially London.

I heard it used to be, but is it still?  It wouldn't be mainly Irish people here in recent years.

7 minutes ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

Tired racist stereotype.

We got a load of building work done on Odyssey Towers in 2022.  A lot of the workers were Polish, but there were a couple of Irish lads in the mix, plus one Hungarian, one Lithuanian, one Ukrainian and one English fella.

John Findlay
1 minute ago, Ulysses said:

I heard it used to be, but is it still?  It wouldn't be mainly Irish people here in recent years.

We got a load of building work done on Odyssey Towers in 2022.  A lot of the workers were Polish, but there were a couple of Irish lads in the mix, plus one Hungarian, one Lithuanian, one Ukrainian and one English fella.

I'm told the vast majority of building sites in London are still run by Irish people's.

Ulysses
17 minutes ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

Tired racist stereotype.

On a not quite related subject, Ireland seems to have passed peak Polish.  We had a lot of Polish people here a few years ago, but numbers have fallen in recent years, driven by a combination of economic growth in Poland and the cost of housing in Ireland.

Ulysses
3 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

I'm told the vast majority of building sites in London are still run by Irish people's.

That could well be the case.  The vast majority here are run by Irish people, but their workforces are more mixed.

John Findlay
15 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

That could well be the case.  The vast majority here are run by Irish people, but their workforces are more mixed.

👍

Sooperstar
27 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Trying to dig yourself out of this hole as if King and Country depend on it.

John Findlay
13 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Trying to dig yourself out of this hole as if King and Country depend on it.

What hole? I am only saying what my friends who live in London tell me.

il Duce McTarkin
1 hour ago, Ulysses said:

On a not quite related subject, Ireland seems to have passed peak Polish.  We had a lot of Polish people here a few years ago, but numbers have fallen in recent years, driven by a combination of economic growth in Poland and the cost of housing in Ireland.

Same in Edinburgh. Still loads though. My old man had some plastering work needing done recently and couldn't get any of the Scottish guys to even come round and look at it. Couple of Polish lads from over the road came round and did it, we got their number from the van parked outside their flat, and made a top class job of it for an excellent price.  

I was only half joking about the lazy racist stereotype too. My uncle hailed originally from somewhere down the west coast of Ireland and used to do roofing/driveways/whatever in Edinburgh. Lovely fella but a total chancer. :D

Sooperstar
37 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

What hole? I am only saying what my friends who live in London tell me.

Yeah, your original post definitely wasn't a comment about Irish Travellers and driveways. No siree, not a hint of it.

Come on eh, have the balls to stand by your own views.

John Findlay
3 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Yeah, your original post definitely wasn't a comment about Irish Travellers and driveways. No siree, not a hint of it.

Come on eh, have the balls to stand by your own views.

It really wasn't, but you bash on.

Sooperstar
17 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

It really wasn't, but you bash on.

OK, John.

John Findlay
Just now, Sooperstar said:

OK, John.

I never use the terms Irish travellers or travellers. I use the totally non pc word Gyps(ies)y for travelling people.

So you can castigate me for that.

Ulysses
30 minutes ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

I was only half joking about the lazy racist stereotype too. My uncle hailed originally from somewhere down the west coast of Ireland and used to do roofing/driveways/whatever in Edinburgh. Lovely fella but a total chancer. :D

It's a generational thing (or an inter-generational thing).  I had uncles and great-uncles who emigrated to Britain and worked as labourers; the luckier ones ended up in factories, and one drove trains.    Four of my classmates from school went to England and never came back.  All of those worked as managers in industry or finance, but not until they'd served their time in the likes of hospitality and office "gopher" jobs when they first arrived.  I know some young 'uns who are there at the moment, all in their 20s.  A couple of them are doing PhDs, another one or two in the NHS, another couple of them working in IT or finance.  There are also some from around here who've gone across directly from University to do post-graduate, and some who are working in whatever they find interesting for a "gap year".  As usual, that's not counting those who've gone further afield (usually Australia, New Zealand and the Emirates these days).  The one common feature is that most of them plan to come back sooner or later.

It's a changing world - though no doubt at some point on their travels they'll hear something about driveways. 

Sooperstar
45 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

I never use the terms Irish travellers or travellers. I use the totally non pc word Gyps(ies)y for travelling people.

So you can castigate me for that.

I've no interest in castigating you for that. It was just very obvious what you meant originally then you tried to weasel out of it when challenged, that's all.

John Findlay
Just now, Sooperstar said:

I've no interest in castigating you for that. It was just very obvious what you meant originally then you tried to weasel out of it when challenged, that's all.

You read that totally wrong.

Mister T
On 24/04/2024 at 19:02, Ked said:

I've done a few .

Look cracking but can tire if buff or lighter colours.

12mm for walking .

50mm minimum for light traffic.

Choose wisely who you get to install .

Check for hungry and use uv protection if light.

Also check supplier.

Some gravel is cheaper but dustier.

Can't quite remember the cost but installation used to match material costs.

Also if the grounds free draining no need for gullys etc.

Can look really tidy though.

After reading that I can believe it. Hope it was a good night.

Tommy Brown
18 hours ago, Ulysses said:

It's a generational thing (or an inter-generational thing).  I had uncles and great-uncles who emigrated to Britain and worked as labourers; the luckier ones ended up in factories, and one drove trains.    Four of my classmates from school went to England and never came back.  All of those worked as managers in industry or finance, but not until they'd served their time in the likes of hospitality and office "gopher" jobs when they first arrived.  I know some young 'uns who are there at the moment, all in their 20s.  A couple of them are doing PhDs, another one or two in the NHS, another couple of them working in IT or finance.  There are also some from around here who've gone across directly from University to do post-graduate, and some who are working in whatever they find interesting for a "gap year".  As usual, that's not counting those who've gone further afield (usually Australia, New Zealand and the Emirates these days).  The one common feature is that most of them plan to come back sooner or later.

It's a changing world - though no doubt at some point on their travels they'll hear something about driveways. 

Can I ask you Uly, where/when did Hearts come into your life?

Guess you went to a Uni in Edinburgh 

Probably hopelessly wrong.

Ulysses
18 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Can I ask you Uly, where/when did Hearts come into your life?

Guess you went to a Uni in Edinburgh 

Probably hopelessly wrong.

1976.  We all supported someone in England or Scotland. For years it was no more than following results and team selections in the Sunday papers, until I started to travel over in the 1980s.

My first real recollection was Rangers winning the cup in 1976.  My first game at Tynecastle featured a Celtic equaliser after 3 ****ing hours of injury time.  So although I wasn't born into it, it didn't take me too long to get the full-on "****ed over by the Gruesome Twosome" experience. :ninja: :laugh:

PaddysBar
2 hours ago, Ulysses said:

1976.  We all supported someone in England or Scotland. For years it was no more than following results and team selections in the Sunday papers, until I started to travel over in the 1980s.

My first real recollection was Rangers winning the cup in 1976.  My first game at Tynecastle featured a Celtic equaliser after 3 ****ing hours of injury time.  So although I wasn't born into it, it didn't take me too long to get the full-on "****ed over by the Gruesome Twosome" experience. :ninja: :laugh:

Celtic equaliser in 1985? JC scored on his debut for us 1st game of the season and McStay equalised in 92 mins which was a very uncommon amount of additional time back then. 

We used to start whistling for the ref to blow around 87 mins😀

Ulysses
2 hours ago, PaddysBar said:

Celtic equaliser in 1985? JC scored on his debut for us 1st game of the season and McStay equalised in 92 mins which was a very uncommon amount of additional time back then. 

We used to start whistling for the ref to blow around 87 mins😀

The very one.  It felt like hours, and I've nursed the sense of grievance ever since.  :laugh: 

PaddysBar
5 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

The very one.  It felt like hours, and I've nursed the sense of grievance ever since.  :laugh: 

Me too. I was 15 and had a hot date down Portobello town hall later that day. 

I was buzzing until McStay scored. Put a right downer on the night. 

From memory I still got a tit through the jumper feel but was a half hearted effort after that late goal 😀

Ulysses
2 minutes ago, PaddysBar said:

From memory I still got a tit through the jumper feel but was a half hearted effort after that late goal 😀

:laugh: 

PaddysBar
8 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

:laugh: 

Resin drives to tit through the jumper. 

That’s the wonderful world of kickback😂

Ulysses
1 minute ago, PaddysBar said:

Resin drives to tit through the jumper. 

That’s the wonderful world of kickback😂

Currently my favourite thread in the Shed (or among my favourites, at any rate).

PaddysBar
1 minute ago, tightrope said:

So erm. How much?

For tit through the jumper or a driveway?

tightrope
8 hours ago, PaddysBar said:

For tit through the jumper or a driveway?

Both