Too Naive and Too Nice

Leveins Battalion

Leveins Battalion

Read a lot of threads yesterday and I think a lot of it was reactionary to the game specifically.

On reflection I don't actually think we played that bad,the 1st half was pretty even however we get caught out early on again as we are not streetwise enough.I think Kingley,Forrest and Rowles could all of done better with the 1st goal.Rowles especially has to toughen up,he is far too slight and nowhere near nasty enough to cope with physical strikers.

Our wingers also need to get some fire in their belly,Forrest,McKay,Oda and Vargas are all good players but they miss that nastyness that players Iike Armstrong have or our own Suso had.

I also think Nasiy could take a leaf out of Paulo Sergios book for how to conduct and talk before a big game,I was a bit uncomfortable reading his comments in the media before hand.

Once again the fans turned up,I thought Rangers fans were muted throughout,it's just a shame that we have nothing to celebrate.

Onto Killie🇱🇻

edramone

All I know is I have watched the Aberdeen Celtic semi final and the Coventry v Man U game and it seems to me that the Sheep and Coventry showed the energy, hunger and balls that Hearts did not show. We were well off it, overall.

Boris5115

Powderpuff effort against a average side. Just before the start of the 2nd half I seen a fellow fan give McKinlay a barrage of abuse re spending money on a better quality of player. McKinlays face told me he didn't like what he was hearing. Our team needs to man up on these occasions. 

Swanny17

Pretty certain that any other team in the SPL would have pushed Rangers closer yesterday if not beat them. 

13 minutes ago, edramone said:

All I know is I have watched the Aberdeen Celtic semi final and the Coventry v Man U game and it seems to me that the Sheep and Coventry showed the energy, hunger and balls that Hearts did not show. We were well off it, overall.

If we had played like Aberdeen or Coventry the same folk would still be moaning, probably about a lack of bottle or something, still lost blah blah blah.

2 minutes ago, Swanny17 said:

Pretty certain that any other team in the SPL would have pushed Rangers closer yesterday if not beat them. 

Aye, every other team. It's amazing how every other team bar Celtic are below them (and us) in the league and out of every cup before us. A real puzzler. 🤷‍♀️

John Findlay

Yesterday was bitterly disappointing in the end result.

From my seat(though spent the whole game standing), G7 Row L 163, I thought we matched them the first half, despite going a goal down early due to poor defending, by more than one player.

The second half, I thought they scored their second against the run of play.

The big difference to me was their forwards took their shots when given the opportunity and ours didn't, sadly Vargas being the most guilty.

I personally don't believe the players lacked for effort yesterday, we just didn't have the composure when it was most needed.

Pick yourselves up lads and go and get the Three points at Rugby Park.

Ricardo Quaresma
1 hour ago, Leveins Battalion said:

....I also think Nasiy could take a leaf out of Paulo Sergios book for how to conduct and talk before a big game,I was a bit uncomfortable reading his comments in the media before hand.

Any chance of a quote, or maybe the gist of this?

fabienleclerq
3 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

From my seat(though spent the whole game standing), G7 Row L 163, I thought we matched them the first half, despite going a goal down early due to poor defending, by more than one player.

The big difference to me was their forwards took their shots when given the opportunity and ours didn't, sadly Vargas being the most guilty.

I personally don't believe the players lacked for effort yesterday, we just didn't have the composure when it was most needed.

Exactly this.

Decision making in the final third.

I'm fed up reading negativity about how we didn't have a go etc. We did, we just weren't direct or clinical enough when we created stuff. Vargas worked his socks off but his Decision making cost us.

Byyy The Light
2 minutes ago, fabienleclerq said:

Exactly this.

I'm fed up reading negativity about how we didn't have a go etc. We did, we just weren't direct or clinical enough when we created stuff. Vargas worked his socks off but his Decision making cost us.

Sums it up. 

HopeDiouf
3 minutes ago, fabienleclerq said:

Exactly this.

Also defending like 12 year olds.

Gordon Ramsay

We had more territory and possession than usual but you still knew we just weren't going to do it. Mentality isn't there.

This is My Story Podcast

We need to change our mindset as a club heading to Hampden or days like yesterday will remain the norm. The club is happy to get to Hampden, winning would just be a nice bonus. Rangers know they can’t lose. Rangers know the backlash if they lose. And their team always seem to manage to get it done. Our season objective was achieved when we beat Morton. That’s the difference currently. 

The game itself. We played well enough but just lacked decision making in the final 3rd. But I never felt like we had Rangers under the cosh at any point. Opportunity lost. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

We like to play football, the evolution of the team is one that does not commit fouls, its about shape and adaptation of it in a game, against better teams this is harder, much harder.

We aren't changing that for a cup tie or anyone, you want to improve you have to learn how to keep the ball better, we are trying to do that. I have the stomach to see it through, it will take time and probably some quality signings.

Edited by Lord Beni of Gorgie

jr ewing

Having only two in midfield against three happens time and time again is certainly naive. 

HopeDiouf
4 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

We like to play football, the evolution of the team is one that does not commit fouls, its about shape and adaptation of it in a game, against better teams this is harder, much harder.

We aren't changing that for a cup tie or anyone, you want to improve you have to learn how to keep the ball better, we are trying to do that. I have the stomach to see it through, it will take time and probably some quality signings.

Which iz fine against teams where we have the better players. Were a bit powder puff when it comes to games where the other team has the better technical players. Need to find a way to cope.  We didnt get outplayed, but we got bullied instead.

Edited by HopeDiouf

Lord Beni of Gorgie
Just now, HopeDiouf said:

Whixh ia fine against teams where we ha e the better players. Were a bit powder puff when it comes to games where the other team has the better technical players. Need to find a way to cope.  We didnt get outplayed, but we got bullied instead.

Its part of the evolution process and the learning curve, for any team, unless you can buy one for x amount of millions.

HopeDiouf
3 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Its part of the evolution process and the learning curve, for any team, unless you can buy one for x amount of millions.

Sti incredibly dissapointing.  Having seen the goals back both were absolutely horrific defending and both had multiple opportunities for multiple players  to have stopped them.  Beni at the 2nd goal - stabding a yard away having a rest watchig as they score.  Im being harsh but horrible goals to lose

I get what your saying about evolution and playing more football etc. But we have become soft in the process of trying to acheive that. 

Edited by HopeDiouf

TexasAndy

We lacked quality and composure in final 3rd.  Vargas is getting a lot of stick for yesterday but it was typical of the stage he is at where he can produce great moments but needs to learn to keep a calm head when presented with opportunities to either have a shot or pick out a cross.   I don't think we played that badly but we lacked a belief in the key moments and that's the bit that frustrates me.

HopeDiouf
Just now, TexasAndy said:

We lacked quality and composure in final 3rd.  Vargas is getting a lot of stick for yesterday but it was typical of the stage he is at where he can produce great moments but needs to learn to keep a calm head when presented with opportunities to either have a shot or pick out a cross.   I don't think we played that badly but we lacked a belief in the key moments and that's the bit that frustrates me.

Also gifted 2 of the softest goals. Cant be gifting goals like that and expect to get anything.

doctor jambo

Seemed to

me the players had been told to be very careful and try not to tackle in and around the box .

think that’s why Cochrane was benched.

Psychedelicropcircle

This chat of poor defending at the first goal lies at the feet of Kingsley. Should have simply left it to go out for a GK. 

Go for it 1308
2 hours ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Read a lot of threads yesterday and I think a lot of it was reactionary to the game specifically.

On reflection I don't actually think we played that bad,the 1st half was pretty even however we get caught out early on again as we are not streetwise enough.I think Kingley,Forrest and Rowles could all of done better with the 1st goal.Rowles especially has to toughen up,he is far too slight and nowhere near nasty enough to cope with physical strikers.

Our wingers also need to get some fire in their belly,Forrest,McKay,Oda and Vargas are all good players but they miss that nastyness that players Iike Armstrong have or our own Suso had.

I also think Nasiy could take a leaf out of Paulo Sergios book for how to conduct and talk before a big game,I was a bit uncomfortable reading his comments in the media before hand.

Once again the fans turned up,I thought Rangers fans were muted throughout,it's just a shame that we have nothing to celebrate.

Onto Killie🇱🇻

Morning mate. Brilliant post. You've actually cheered me up with that this morning . I totally agree with everything 👍 

Australis
1 hour ago, Swanny17 said:

Ayr United and Dunfermline would have created more and better chances against them than we did.

The zombies were crap as well.

It was a shambles from start to finish.

HopeDiouf
6 minutes ago, Psychedelicropcircle said:

This chat of poor defending at the first goal lies at the feet of Kingsley. Should have simply left it to go out for a GK. 

Also forrest sleeping. And rowles tackling like a 12 year old. And kent and atlkinson falling over.  It was horrific defending we had about 5 chances to deal with it. As was the 2nd.

Edited by HopeDiouf

Jocam2325
43 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

I love when common sense breaks out. 

Gordon Ramsay
32 minutes ago, This is My Story Podcast said:

We need to change our mindset as a club heading to Hampden or days like yesterday will remain the norm. The club is happy to get to Hampden, winning would just be a nice bonus. Rangers know they can’t lose. Rangers know the backlash if they lose. And their team always seem to manage to get it done. Our season objective was achieved when we beat Morton. That’s the difference currently. 

The game itself. We played well enough but just lacked decision making in the final 3rd. But I never felt like we had Rangers under the cosh at any point. Opportunity lost. 

Exactly my thoughts.

colinmorewasgash

Too naive Too nice and usual didn't believe we could win. Sheep and Cov had nothing to lose and gave it their all. We could really do with a big guy or striker with a bit pace to unsettle teams up top. Our players looked tiny v Sevco so a bit more height in the team and another central defender that isn't a stick insect would also help. Shankland also seems to be playing more of a 10 last few weeks which is bizarre.

Bindy Badgy
48 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Both Vargas and Forrest had opportunities where they tried to take too many touches. Both need to work on hitting the ball earlier.

Lovecraft
24 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

Seemed to

me the players had been told to be very careful and try not to tackle in and around the box .

think that’s why Cochrane was benched.

I posted this on another thread.  I thought it looked very clear the players were instructed not to tackle in the box.

Rangers at Hampden in a semi, with a Rangers leaning ref.  He would have given a penalty before the player hit the deck.

HopeDiouf
2 minutes ago, Lovecraft said:

I posted this on another thread.  I thought it looked very clear the players were instructed not to tackle in the box.

Rangers at Hampden in a semi, with a Rangers leaning ref.  He would have given a penalty before the player hit the deck.

Not really buying this. Cant just be standing there watching as they pop the ball in the net. Defending was awful for both goals, with multiple players having opportunities to deal with both.

Lovecraft
7 minutes ago, HopeDiouf said:

Not really buying this. Cant just be standing there watching as they pop the ball in the net. Defending was awful for both goals, with multiple players having opportunities to deal with both.

The players were definitely standing off in the box though.

HopeDiouf
1 minute ago, Lovecraft said:

The players were definitely standing off in the box though.

Im not sure what they were up to tbh. Defending like an u12 team at both goals.  Bizarre. Agree they were standing watching. Just cant believe naisy told them to do that

Edited by HopeDiouf

Decision making in the final third is not a new thing this season ( I reckon that is why Dhanda and Spittal are coming in for example) 

Yesterday we threw in poor defending aswell and that leads to defeats.

Edited by Rods

JimmyCant
1 hour ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

You can’t go making basic defensive mistakes like we did for both goals yesterday and expect to get something from the game.

First goal we had 3 chances to prevent it. Second goal, much the same.

Attacking wise we were okay, just tiny margins difference from a good final ball and a poor decision.

Rangers upped their game slightly from what they had been. Our game dipped slightly because key players didn’t perform and we made mistakes. In open play there wasn’t much difference between the two teams and it was an awful game to be honest 

Rangers handled it better. Had more belief. We lacked passion belief and determination on top of the mistakes we made. All little things that make the difference in a late stage cup tie.

People been talking about Coventry who ended up losing. Same outcome as us of course, but if we had approached that game like they did when they looked down and out, we’d have won. No doubt in my mind. They refused to lie down. We accepted defeat long before the end and that’s very unlike us.

Edited by JimmyCant

RudiSkacelsLeftPeg
1 hour ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

Any chance of a quote, or maybe the gist of this?

Check his pre match video on bbc football about many of the Rangers players not having won any silverware or something along the lines. Was a bit odd to say before we played them tbh. 

colinmaroon
40 minutes ago, Bindy Badgy said:

Both Vargas and Forrest had opportunities where they tried to take too many touches. Both need to work on hitting the ball earlier.

Agreed.  But I must admit I am getting thoroughly sick of Forrest making a great run to the byline and trying to beat the keeper at his near post for the umpteenth time, when Shanks was in great position for a cut back.  Shanks reaction, caught briefly on cam, says it all.

Ricardo Quaresma
1 hour ago, This is My Story Podcast said:

Nonsense; if that was celtic the game would've been very different; d'you want to explain that with something other than a cop-out response?

RustyRightPeg
2 hours ago, Swanny17 said:

100%. They were torture, and really poor to watch. We doubled down on it. Not been that bored at a game in a while. 

Ricardo Quaresma
14 minutes ago, RudiSkacelsLeftPeg said:

Check his pre match video on bbc football about many of the Rangers players not having won any silverware or something along the lines. Was a bit odd to say before we played them tbh. 

I see; I don't watch bbc so thanks for that 👍

chrystaf
2 hours ago, cazzyy said:

If we had played like Aberdeen or Coventry the same folk would still be moaning, probably about a lack of bottle or something, still lost blah blah blah.

But then it would have been pride and not embarrassment.

chrystaf
8 minutes ago, colinmaroon said:

Agreed.  But I must admit I am getting thoroughly sick of Forrest making a great run to the byline and trying to beat the keeper at his near post for the umpteenth time, when Shanks was in great position for a cut back.  Shanks reaction, caught briefly on cam, says it all.

Agree.  He is on " run to the line and hammer it against the keeper" auto instead of either cutting inside as he used to do to take a shot or looking up and crossing into the box.

Ex member of the SaS

Don't think we played too badly when we had the ball, decision making in the final third show we are not there yet but where we failed , and failed miserably was when they had the ball we did not get stuck in ( like Ross co and Dundee ). We allowed Lindstrum to wander around and spray passes instead of putting him on the deck. We failed to get tackles in and get in their faces.

Once again the officials helped them more than they helped us with minor decisions that slowly crept in as usual.

Jambo in Bathgate
1 hour ago, colinmorewasgash said:

Too naive Too nice and usual didn't believe we could win. Sheep and Cov had nothing to lose and gave it their all. We could really do with a big guy or striker with a bit pace to unsettle teams up top. Our players looked tiny v Sevco so a bit more height in the team and another central defender that isn't a stick insect would also help. Shankland also seems to be playing more of a 10 last few weeks which is bizarre.

They were also playing against teams that have poor defences. They can score but also lose goals at the same rate. Boyce and Halket would have been a big plus yesterday. Boyce especially playing 10. 

For me Naive and Nice translates to just not quick enough. It's takes only being fractions of a second late and you can lose the ball or momentum to go forward. Happened far to often  yesterday. Frustrating when you know  we have players capable but not one was on it.... Rabbit's in headlights the whole lot of them.

LogicalEric

Type of game where we were crying out for someone like Gino with his pace. You could see on a couple of occasions both Souttar and Balogun were massively vulnerable when having to cover out wide.

2 hours ago, Swanny17 said:

Unfortunately we were their perfect opponents yesterday. 

Jambo61
1 hour ago, TexasAndy said:

What did Mckay add......missing again!

Mikey1874

It was pretty easy for Rangers physically. Lundstrum having complete freedom with no one near him was interesting though he didn't hurt us directly. 

We aren't that sort of team to really compete physically partly as Devlin always gets booked then is an empty position. Want to win playing football but that led to the first goal and some of the easiest chances by being weak. 

Having said that we had the opportunities to win the game. So it's fine margins. 

Nelly Terraces

Said on another thread, but we are Rangers bitches. We're so lame against that club it's actually pathetic to watch. Yesterday was slightly less poor than the previous 2 dreadful performances at Hampden v them.