Semi ratings

Geoff Kilpatrick

Gundermann
1 hour ago, Gordons left glove said:

Fair but id bump natty up a bit

Yeah, shared blame for first goal but good apart from that. Don't see why he was subbed for Limp Bizkit.

Beni good mostly but a shitebag when needed for defensive tackles.

Not many passmarks today. Grant AWOL which is unforgiveable. Forrest and Vargas do the hardwork with aplomb but then do a headless chicken when all that's needed is to find a man in the box.

Devlin good mostly.

Shankland doing his best not attract potential buyers or impress the Scotland boss.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ricardo Quaresma

• HopeDiouf

• kingantti1874

• Bad Religion

kingantti1874

It’s pretty clear that while some of these guys have been good enough to get us third, and may well continue to contribute effectively as part of the squad. We need better quality.  

it’s as simple as that. Players not good enough. They are exposed when it comes to the big games 

PhoenixHearts

I'd be happy to see Barrie McKay moved on to pastures new.

Unfortunately an uninspiring has-been at this point.

Quite happy for him to prove me wrong.

And I'm not sure where people were seeing a MoM performance from Beni today. Thought he was wasteful and half asleep. Thought our Midfield looked pretty useless overall.

But I'm happy to defer to the majority and accept it might in fact be me who is blind.

jamboy1982

Pass marks for Kent, benni and devlin. Devlin our best player. The rest below par. 

JudyJudyJudy
51 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

He’ll never get subbed no matter how bad a game he’s having. Which fortunately isn’t often, but when it does happen it really hampers us not having the balls to take him off. Even Pep will drop Haaland if it suits the team FFS.

👍

Archie White
21 minutes ago, PhoenixHearts said:

And I'm not sure where people were seeing a MoM performance from Beni today. Thought he was wasteful and half asleep. Thought our Midfield looked pretty useless overall.

But I'm happy to defer to the majority and accept it might in fact be me who is blind.

You are not blind mate. Don't get the Beni love-in at all.

BackOfTheNet
32 minutes ago, PhoenixHearts said:

My only issue with Baningime is he was blowing out his arse with a 1/3 of the match still left. But that’s because for some girls forsaken reason we told our midfield to sit further up and allowed Cantwell and Lundstram the freedom of Hampden, meaning he had to track back rather than just marking them in the first place. Strange tactic. Their second he tried a tackle I’d rage if happened in a youth team game, but he was absolutely knackered by that point and the only reason he stayed on the pitch was because we had to bring Tait on for Devlin as he was on a yellow.

BackOfTheNet

Also, Kingsley and Rowles not getting near enough criticism for their roles in the first goal. Shankland horrific and people are not viewing the game on its own and letting previous games/performances cloud their judgement.

kingantti1874
2 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Also, Kingsley and Rowles not getting near enough criticism for their roles in the first goal. Shankland horrific and people are not viewing the game on its own and letting previous games/performances cloud their judgement.

yup. The first goal was unbelievably bad.  Clear as day was skipping out of play for a goal kick.  Why on earth you’d go to such lengths to knock it back into a dangerous area . And I love Kingsley but **** me 

Pasquale for King

From our high position you really see how little movement we have, how slow we are and the mark for Beni is at least double what he deserved, Cantwell had the run of the pitch today. He was awful the last time we were there too, he has neither the fitness or desire to play against better players. He will be lucky to get a decent team to play for next season and personally can’t wait for him to **** off. 

Pasquale for King
21 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Agreed, Forrest sleeping too. 

Eddiepolio3

Totally agree on Beni. One wee spin in the 2nd half away from 3-4 players was like the Beni of old. The rest of the time he was on his back side with his wee twiglet legs

Jam-Tart
1 hour ago, hearts00 said:

Grant often makes us tick in certain games with his intelligent movement and good passing. I think too many people fail to see his important contributions. 

Well maybe I'm one of those people who failed to see his important contributions, i certainly cant remember many if any, I don't think ive missed a game this season, tbh possibly one or two no more, so with that in mind maybe you could remind me/us bearing in mind his goals/penalties I've already acknowledged. 

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, PhoenixHearts said:

Nah you are right, about the midfield and McKay. 

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, Thurlaston said:

Gordon 5

Atkinson 4

Kent 6

Rowles 3

Kingsley 5

Beni 5

Devlin 5

Vargas 2

Grant 2

Forrest 3

Shankland 3

Oda 3

McKay 2

Lembikisa 3

Tait 1

Tagawa 1

Predictability at bottling it at Hampden 10

Predictability at giving away a soft early goal 10

Pretty much 👍🏽

2 hours ago, hearts00 said:

I have never disagreed more with a rating than Beni. I thought he was terrible today and to be honest I am happy for him to leave, we can surely and must do better. He neither protected the defence nor made a tackle, nor dictated the play. He was today what he looks a slow and feeble player with no legs. 

Absolutely spot on! He was absolutely awful, he was party to giving  Cantwell the freedom of the park! And making him look good…..

looked yards off the pace, and people giving him 8/10 - not sure what some were watching! Bizarre 

GinRummy
1 hour ago, PhoenixHearts said:

Beni and McKay don’t need to do much to impress folk on here. 

GinRummy
35 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Bang on. 

Jamb04life
1 hour ago, BackOfTheNet said:

He’ll never get subbed no matter how bad a game he’s having. Which fortunately isn’t often, but when it does happen it really hampers us not having the balls to take him off. Even Pep will drop Haaland if it suits the team FFS.

Totally agree with this. I know he’s not blessed with pace but he looked two yards off it today. Got caught on the ball countless times

Our forward players just didn’t click today. Vargas had his worst game in a Hearts jersey and Grant was anonymous. If Grant is playing in that advanced role, he has to chip in with more assists/goals and produce the goods in the bigger games. Folk were raving about him against LIvi at home but once again he disappears when we need that creativity (bit like Mackay in bigger games) 

Dreadful start, sat off them and gave them far too much respect; Rowles had the opportunity to put a marker down when he shat out the 50/50 that led to their first goal. 

Fozzyonthefence
2 hours ago, Buster HMFC said:

Is it though on a player rating.

Yes, for today’s game though so not sure why you’re rating him for last Saturday’s game?  Had one good save, did nothing wrong.  Least of our problems today. 

Buster HMFC
1 minute ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Yes, for today’s game though so not sure why you’re rating him for last Saturday’s game?  Had one good save, did nothing wrong.  Least of our problems today. 

Cause that's what Clarke is watching. Yes he fefo is the least of our problems 

Broxburn Jambo

First 20 mins we needed 3 Devlins in midfield, we just handed to Rangers, we should have been right in their faces

feedthefox
2 hours ago, hearts00 said:

Grant often makes us tick in certain games with his intelligent movement and good passing. I think too many people fail to see his important contributions. 

I agree, it can be no coincidence that most of our best performances have been when he's been in the team. Not saying he's a game changer or anything but he does keep us moving forward and we look much more slick when he's linking defence with attack. 

Fozzyonthefence
9 minutes ago, Buster HMFC said:

Cause that's what Clarke is watching. Yes he fefo is the least of our problems 

Check the thread title, it’s “semi ratings”.  Did we play Livi in the semi?

feedthefox

I don't get the Vargas pile on (folks giving him 2!!!)

His decision making when it mattered most was very poor but at least he got himself into the position. I'm far from a Vargas fanboy but I thought he worked hard and was trying to pressure the Rangers defence in to mistakes. Compared to Forrest on the other wing he was streets ahead in getting on the ball and being involved he was also let down by a hugely underwhelming Shanks performance.

HopeDiouf
2 minutes ago, feedthefox said:

His decision making when it mattered most was very poor but at least he got himself into the position. I'm far from a Vargas fanboy but I thought he worked hard and was trying to pressure the Rangers defence in to mistakes. Compared to Forrest on the other wing he was streets ahead in getting on the ball and being involved he was also let down by a hugely underwhelming Shanks performance.

Thought Vargas improved a bit as game went on. Think occasion got to him today.  Also a huge fan and he's got time on his side to learn. Think we'll sell him for a lot of money in a few years

colinzeal
34 minutes ago, HopeDiouf said:

Thought Vargas improved a bit as game went on. Think occasion got to him today.  Also a huge fan and he's got time on his side to learn. Think we'll sell him for a lot of money in a few years

I just don’t see it with him. No composure in front of goal or in possession.Worse than that is his decision making, just awful. Beyond hard work, I don’t see what he brings. 

Hectormasson
1 hour ago, Eddiepolio3 said:

Totally agree on Beni. One wee spin in the 2nd half away from 3-4 players was like the Beni of old. The rest of the time he was on his back side with his wee twiglet legs

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

HopeDiouf
4 minutes ago, colinzeal said:

I just don’t see it with him. No composure in front of goal or in possession.Worse than that is his decision making, just awful. Beyond hard work, I don’t see what he brings. 

Pace, tenacity, shooting and age are the positives i see. Agree on composure and decision making, but hope that will come over next

season or 2. If it does, well have a real player on our hands

Jam-Tart
40 minutes ago, colinzeal said:

He's a work in progress, the lad has a talent and will go on to better things, for composure; earlier had missed a decent chance, but put his second chance of the match neatly away v Morton to put us in the Semi final  v der hun, oh what a short memory you have mate!

ToadKiller Dog
1 hour ago, feedthefox said:

Agree with comments about Vargas ,coaching need to get to work on him in keeping his cool when he gets himself in position which he regularly does ,Naismith was always calm headed when through on goal Vargas will learn I hope .

Jambolass

Yet to see Grant contribute anything against a top 6 side away from home so it’s no surprise he was anonymous.

Vargas either plays up front or not at all. Oda is far more effective on the wing for me. 
That’s a poor Rangers team which just makes it all the more frustrating. 

feedthefox
13 minutes ago, Jambolass said:

Yet to see Grant contribute anything against a top 6 side away from home so it’s no surprise he was anonymous.

Vargas either plays up front or not at all. Oda is far more effective on the wing for me. 

What short memory you have, Celtic 0 - 2 Hearts springs to mind...

Jambolass
7 minutes ago, feedthefox said:

What short memory you have, Celtic 0 - 2 Hearts springs to mind...

No I remember he scored a pen. I don’t recall an outstanding performance. If you’re happy with a guy who never appears to bust a gut for our team fair play. 

What wrangles me is that the team performance ranged from a 4-6 when a few giving us a 7 or an 8 could have won us the game. 

Nobody stepped up and made what they did on the ball count. 

Not one. 

So poor overall today. Really thought we would give it a good go! At least Devlin tried, cant say the same for some. Vargas was brutal. How was he not subbed at half time?! Grant, Atkinson and Forrest just not good enough. Had a brilliant day and night out..and like most of us, will be back again to do it all over again. Well done to the fans...we turned up, sadly the team didnt 🇱🇻

17 hours ago, GinRummy said:

I take it shanks getting 4s and 5s is based on better performances in other games. A 2 would be kind.  Utter garbage today. 

His inability to get about the pitch is often quite eye opening. We all know he's got no pace and if he did he probably wouldn't be here. Only he can know if he's in the best possible physical shape. I'm not so sure he is by looking at him. His body language often isn't the best either it must be said.

12 hours ago, Jambolass said:

Probably unfair to get after a single player after that yesterday, but Jorge Grant is nowhere near what we need. He's frighteningly anonymous in these types of game. How he managed to start yesterday after his LC semi final performance is remarkable. 

There is absolutely no point playing Grant and Shankland together on a pitch the scale of Hampden. I just cannot fathom Naismith's thinking on that. Two guys who lack athleticism to that extent against an opponent like that is asking for problems imo.

Edited by Carter

HopeDiouf

3s all round for me.  Defensively a shambles, attacking play not good enough, and midfield posted missing.  

Thomaso
18 hours ago, The Mercer Takeover said:

Gordon - 6 - Very little to do, apart from pick the ball out the net twice

Kent - 7 - Generally good

Kingsley - 7 - Reliable 

Atkinson - 5 - Typical performance.

Rowles - 5 - Lightweight 

Baningime - 7 - Very composeds display

Grant - 1 - Wearing the stealth strip again. Utterly dreadful and needs moved on during the summer window.

Devlin - 8 - Non stop

Shankland - 6 - Not his day

Vargas - 4 - Poor. He's just not reliable enough.

Forrest - 4 - Headless chicken

Subs:

Oda - 6 - Made a difference

McKay - 4 - Looked ok

Lembikisa - 4 - Ok

Tait - 0 - Dreadful yet again and sold the jerseys. If you play in the first team, being a youngster does not dismiss you from any criticism. Too small, too lightweight, too slow and nowhere near ready. Needs loaned out to prove himself for a couple of seasons. He is a constant liability. Should not play again this season.

Tagawa - 0 - Another who needs punted.

Deary me what a character assassination of a young player. Tait’s appearances this season have been excellent and we have been shouting for Naisy to give him more game time.

The lad made a mistake and he will know it, but hopefully he will learn from it and develop into the player we think he can be.

HopeDiouf
5 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

Deary me what a character assassination of a young player. Tait’s appearances this season have been excellent and we have been shouting for Naisy to give him more game time.

The lad made a mistake and he will know it, but hopefully he will learn from it and develop into the player we think he can be.

3 more experienced players beni kent and rowles should've taken a booking and bailed  tait out. Plenty chances to have dealt with that after tait lost ball.

Weebroon98

nobody above a 6 for me. Grant posted missing yesterday, the guys has the ability but seems to disappear in big games.

Thomaso
1 hour ago, Weebroon98 said:

nobody above a 6 for me. Grant posted missing yesterday, the guys has the ability but seems to disappear in big games.

Yup - my MoM against Livy, shite against Rangers! 🤷‍♂️

maroonsgotop
14 hours ago, Jambolass said:

No I remember he scored a pen. I don’t recall an outstanding performance. If you’re happy with a guy who never appears to bust a gut for our team fair play. 

wrong game, the pen was at Tynecastle. he was outstanding at Darkheid and a key reason we won that day

20 hours ago, The Mercer Takeover said:

Gordon - 6 - Very little to do, apart from pick the ball out the net twice

Kent - 7 - Generally good

Kingsley - 7 - Reliable 

Atkinson - 5 - Typical performance.

Rowles - 5 - Lightweight 

Baningime - 7 - Very composeds display

Grant - 1 - Wearing the stealth strip again. Utterly dreadful and needs moved on during the summer window.

Devlin - 8 - Non stop

Shankland - 6 - Not his day

Vargas - 4 - Poor. He's just not reliable enough.

Forrest - 4 - Headless chicken

Subs:

Oda - 6 - Made a difference

McKay - 4 - Looked ok

Lembikisa - 4 - Ok

Tait - 0 - Dreadful yet again and sold the jerseys. If you play in the first team, being a youngster does not dismiss you from any criticism. Too small, too lightweight, too slow and nowhere near ready. Needs loaned out to prove himself for a couple of seasons. He is a constant liability. Should not play again this season.

Tagawa - 0 - Another who needs punted.

Ffs. What a complete bellend you are. Constant liability? You’ll need to explain that. 

You clearly have ulterior motives for posting this. God knows what you have against an 18 year old who’s been by and large excellent when he’s played this season. Naisy clearly told him to go on and try and have a positive impact against seasoned pros who have played in the EPL. He lost the ball once or twice, shit happens. 

Rocky jamboa
14 hours ago, lmc1 said:

So poor overall today. Really thought we would give it a good go! At least Devlin tried, cant say the same for some. Vargas was brutal. How was he not subbed at half time?! Grant, Atkinson and Forrest just not good enough. Had a brilliant day and night out..and like most of us, will be back again to do it all over again. Well done to the fans...we turned up, sadly the team didnt 🇱🇻

You've singled out the 3 for me which I feel are not good enough for us. Grant is anonymous in most games. Atkinson loses the ball too often and doesn't seem defensively minded at all. These were both positions that most thought were the priority to improve on last summer and they weren't.

At least Forrest has had a decent season and probably been one or our better players this season, but still doesn't produce and end product enough and could do with better.

boag1874
22 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Gordon - 6 - Couldn't do anything about either goal and anything else he was involved in was routine

Kent - 6 - Contributed to the comedy of their first. Otherwise had a solid game

Kingsley - 7 - Solid and held the left side together

Atkinson - 5 - Part of the keystone cops at their first. Nondescript otherwise

Rowles - 5 - Soft at both goals. Ok otherwise

Baningime - 8 - MoM. Needed others to rise to his level. We will miss him next season

Grant - 4 - Invisible, even more so when he was shunted to right midfield for the second half

Devlin - 7 - Booking hindered him but his effort was an example to others

Shankland - 5 - Seemed to spend his time complaining about people not going where he wanted when he had done a Michael Stewart and given the ball away

Vargas - 4 - I had romanticised that he would score in every round as we lifted the cup but that performance summed up why neither of those was happening

Forrest - 5 - His effort in the first half summed up our day. Run into an opportunistic position and then either choose the wrong option or waste it

Subs:

Oda - 6 - Two decent efforts. His defending might not have been the best but looked our most likely scorer

McKay - 4 - A typical Barrie McKay performance against the Old Firm, i.e. meh

Lembikisa - 5 - Defended well and put in a couple of good crosses

Tait - 2 - Sold the jerseys but I will give him credit for at least trying to make something happen

Tagawa - 1 - I think he touched the ball twice

I'd swap Kent & Kingsley's ratings, knock a point off Vargas & otherwise say thats pretty much spot on.

boag1874
4 hours ago, Carter said:

Probably unfair to get after a single player after that yesterday, but Jorge Grant is nowhere near what we need. He's frighteningly anonymous in these types of game. How he managed to start yesterday after his LC semi final performance is remarkable. 

There is absolutely no point playing Grant and Shankland together on a pitch the scale of Hampden. I just cannot fathom Naismith's thinking on that. Two guys who lack athleticism to that extent against an opponent like that is asking for problems imo.

Honestly I like Grant but you're totally bang on with your 2nd paragraph, I said it at the LC semi too it's just not the game for someone like him. It's a lack of depth that we need to address in the middle (and hopefully we have done) because I don't know who else we could have played though..

Had Hof been fit then a battling midfield 3 of Hof, Beni & Devlin with Shankland dropping deep to make the tip of a diamond allowing our wingers to cut inside (although based on yesterday they wouldn't have scored) would have been better suited.

Grant for me is a good playmaker, composed on the ball, doesn't usually pop loads of through balls through but he helps us keep possession and makes us tick with good accurate forward passing, but as you say a lack of pace & athleticism neuters him in games like that where he won't get time, Him & Shanks were both playing the same role basically both with little success.

Edited by boag1874

4 hours ago, Thomaso said:

He always attacks one player after every game. Not that he ever sees a game in the flesh, at least not a Hearts one