Midfield

mr fox

2 hours ago, mr fox said:

When was the last good midfielder we actually had 

In terms of attacking midfielders that actually provide a threat in these type of games, the answer is Rudi Skacel. He rose to occasions like semi-finals. Grant is a decent midfielder and does a job against many teams, but let's be honest he looks a bit out of his depth against better opposition like today. 

2 hours ago, ramrod said:

We definitely need a midfield enforcer ala Lundstaum or Scott Brown .

A big personality in the mould of Frankie Kent that wil take no shit from  our players or opposition players.

We are far to weak mentally in there atm.

Passed Neil Berry walking his alsatian yesterday. He would fit the role.

tightrope
5 minutes ago, ibpc said:

Passed Neil Berry walking his alsatian yesterday. He would fit the role.

I take it you mean the alsation, Chuck must be kicking on a bit. 😆 

Diehardjambo1
3 hours ago, mr fox said:

This is our biggest issue decent at the back but there is a huge gap middle to front and the new signings should improve us. Would also love to see a young Neil McCann or driver in this team. 

I’m sorry mate never seen your thread and started something similar  but I agree totally. We are too powder puff. 

That was a shite Rangers team today with only Cantwell and Butland turning up. 

77Mackay77
52 minutes ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

Yes there is.

Our midfield is as soft as shite.

Why do you think Naismith has brought in Dhanda and Spittal before the season has even ended.

Hopefully another aggressive midfield ball winner is brought in.

Two players coming in is a million miles away from an overhaul. Particularly when we have two midfielders out of contract at the end of May. 

HopeDiouf
3 hours ago, Dayman said:

The midfield was the only good part of the team today. 

Id say beni and devlin were good on the ball.  Beni non existent off the ball tho? Tbf i didnt have the best view from behind the goals, but seemed like cantwell and lundstrum had the freedom of Hampden when they had the ball. Seemed like we didn't have a central midfield defensively 

Edited by HopeDiouf

1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

Again, he must love playing us, when hes looking for a new club this summer he can show clips of games against us where let him do as he pleases. 

Our midfield just stood off and admired him all day. What's absolutely inexcusable is Naismith watched that unfold and gets them in at HT only for exactly the same scenario to play out in the second half.

Played Rangers 5 times this season and five defeats. Lost 10 of the last 11 against them and the aggregate score is 28:5. We just shit ourselves every time we play them.

We were the single best opponent for Rangers today after recent events. The one opponent who could be guaranteed to give them their confidence back.

****ing pathetic.

HopeDiouf
36 minutes ago, stirlo said:

In terms of attacking midfielders that actually provide a threat in these type of games, the answer is Rudi Skacel. He rose to occasions like semi-finals. Grant is a decent midfielder and does a job against many teams, but let's be honest he looks a bit out of his depth against better opposition like today. 

Agree, although tbf he was far from the only one. Our 5m striker struggled to make any impact today.

1 minute ago, HopeDiouf said:

Agree, although tbf he was far from the only one. Our 5m striker struggled to make any impact today.

Shankland definitely didn't have one of his better games today and he'll know that - but I think a big part of the problem was he was having to drop much deeper because there was nothing happening from middle to front. I'm pretty sure Naisy will know full well what the issues are - let's just hope that Spittal and Dhanda give us more of a threat in that area.

HopeDiouf
Just now, stirlo said:

Shankland definitely didn't have one of his better games today and he'll know that - but I think a big part of the problem was he was having to drop much deeper because there was nothing happening from middle to front. I'm pretty sure Naisy will know full well what the issues are - let's just hope that Spittal and Dhanda give us more of a threat in that area.

Hopefully. Bit down atm feel like we've not learned much since last time. Hopefully naisy knows what's needed cause there was definitely something missing today.  Someone elsewhere said we're missing a midfield enforcer ala kent but for midfield.

14 minutes ago, Diehardjambo1 said:

I’m sorry mate never seen your thread and started something similar  but I agree totally. We are too powder puff. 

That was a shite Rangers team today with only Cantwell and Butland turning up. 

Totally agree a Neil McCann and Cameron player we are beating them.

44 minutes ago, stirlo said:

Yeah skacel was so so good 

Grant is not good enough for us can’t see him near the first 11 next year.

I would not keep him hasn’t got it 

1 hour ago, frankblack said:

Neuenhoff has been missing since the Celtic game.  There has been a noticeable lack of quality linking the play in this time.

What kind of injury has he got that has kept him out this long as it looked a minor hamstring or groin strain?

He is badly missed and putting him in team with Beni and Dhanda is a different team.

Nothing wrong with our midfield today.

It was the front 3 of Shankland, Forrest and Vargas that never performed

Diehardjambo1
34 minutes ago, swilso said:

Disagree they never really linked the forwards from midfield. Had a few chances that never quite fell for us. I don’t think spittall is a world beater but he gives 110 percent every match and that will do for me. It’s what we need 

HopeDiouf
2 hours ago, frankblack said:

Neuenhoff has been missing since the Celtic game.  There has been a noticeable lack of quality linking the play in this time.

What kind of injury has he got that has kept him out this long as it looked a minor hamstring or groin strain?

Tendon where hammy meets knee

Grant a passenger once again today. A couple of penalties and above par performances recently doesn’t mean he deserves a new contract even though many think he does. He has been here a long time and hasn’t lived up to expectations. We can and should be attracting better. Keeping luxury players like him will hinder us from progressing. Reminds me of Jamie Walker, technically very good and has a footballing brain, turns up in the odd game when he feels like it but ultimately chicken hearted and doesn’t stand out in most of the big games when it matters. 

Luckies1874

You look at the Hearts midfields that won trophies....

Fulton Cameron Salvatori McCann

Hartley Aguiar Cesnauskis Skacel

Driver Black Skacel Santana

We are miles off that at the moment. This is a very mediocre Hearts team and very few players in it get into any of the 3 cup winning sides. 

3 minutes ago, Luckies1874 said:

You look at the Hearts midfields that won trophies....

Fulton Cameron Salvatori McCann

Hartley Aguiar Cesnauskis Skacel

Driver Black Skacel Santana

We are miles off that at the moment. This is a very mediocre Hearts team and very few players in it get into any of the 3 cup winning sides. 

Correct.  Beni the only one who is at that level. No wonder he’s not keen on staying here, the shite around him makes him look far worse. 

38 minutes ago, Chimp said:

Grant a passenger once again today. A couple of penalties and above par performances recently doesn’t mean he deserves a new contract even though many think he does. He has been here a long time and hasn’t lived up to expectations. We can and should be attracting better. Keeping luxury players like him will hinder us from progressing. Reminds me of Jamie Walker, technically very good and has a footballing brain, turns up in the odd game when he feels like it but ultimately chicken hearted and doesn’t stand out in most of the big games when it matters. 

I think Jamie Walker achieved a lot more in a Hearts jersey than Grant, but yeah, its hard to get away from the fact that this is another big game Grants gone missing in. 

Forrest and Vargas both absolutely woeful, but in fairness, he didn't thread anything through either. 

Naismith described our attack as immature, but TBH outside of Vargas I don't think that is true. Forrest, Grant & Shankland all have the sort of experience where you'd be justified in expecting more from them. 

Issue is getting quality in, and players that can step up in the big moments. That isn't ANY of our current wide players - Oda is an impact sub, Barrie is infamous for being posted missing in big games, Forrest is horrific, Vargas isn't a good winger and Tagawa has done nothing in a Hearts jersey. 

Getting someone like Armstrong in would be huge. But even McCowan would be a coup. Our wingers are so bad that we're nowhere near the ceiling that the amount we'd be willing to spend maxes out at. Without trying to sound dramatic, there are several teams below us that have more effective wingers. 

Edited by OTT

3 minutes ago, OTT said:

I think Jamie Walker achieved a lot more in a Hearts jersey than Grant, but yeah, its hard to get away from the fact that this is another big game Grants gone missing in. 

Forrest and Vargas both absolutely woeful, but in fairness, he didn't thread anything through either. 

Naismith described our attack as immature, but TBH outside of Vargas I don't think that is true. Forrest, Grant & Shankland all have the sort of experience where you'd be justified in expecting more from them. 

Issue is getting quality in, and players that can step up in the big moments. That isn't ANY of our current wide players - Oda is an impact sub, Barrie is infamous for being posted missing in big games, Forrest is horrific, Vargas isn't a good winger and Tagawa has done nothing in a Hearts jersey. 

Getting someone like Armstrong in would be huge. But even McCowan would be a coup. Our wingers are so bad that we're nowhere near the ceiling that the amount we'd be willing to spend maxes out at. Without trying to sound dramatic, there are several teams below us that have more effective wingers. 

Fair post mate and totally agree 👍🏼

Spellczech

Toothless display today - never really had a crack at them...

Was worried as soon as I saw that we were going with a back three, but TBH it was CM that was the problem - even with an extra man in there we lost everythiing in midfield. It was so obvious: Ranger would have one player challenge for the ball and one standing off waiting to pick up the scraps. It worked every single time...

We lacked shape yet again. Rangers form triangles and offer options, we are all over the place and offer nothing to the man in possession...

Until we get a proper shape and some players with a bit of dominance we will keep losing to Rangers in a soft manner...

pettigrewsstylist
3 hours ago, stirlo said:

His pass 8 feet behind Shankland and his refusal to track runner in 2nd minute summed his performance up for me.

Spellczech
5 hours ago, Dayman said:

The midfield was the only good part of the team today. 

Eh? We got totally overrun in midfield - they went straight through us at will...

pettigrewsstylist
2 hours ago, HopeDiouf said:

Id say beni and devlin were good on the ball.  Beni non existent off the ball tho? Tbf i didnt have the best view from behind the goals, but seemed like cantwell and lundstrum had the freedom of Hampden when they had the ball. Seemed like we didn't have a central midfield defensively 

Totally. Stay away from their best player so you dont get shown up.

pettigrewsstylist
2 hours ago, swilso said:

Im sure Cantwell and Lundstram concur.

25 minutes ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

Im sure Cantwell and Lundstram concur.

I thought Cantwell and Lundstrum were decent. As were Beni and Devlin. 

The difference was between the 2 main strikers. Theirs scored twice, ours never looked like scoring

Beni had a good game but my concern is he is not a 90 minute player and looks weak which gives teams hope.

The way he meandered back for their second goal yesterday is not the first time he has not looked interest in tackling an opposing player near the end of the game. The lying down and not wanting to play on at Easter Road stuff for me was unforgivable.

We can replace him with better I am confident of that. 

Bazzas right boot
12 hours ago, mr fox said:

He is badly missed and putting him in team with Beni and Dhanda is a different team.

Yip, good balance there.

The rangers midfielders were much more skillful and faster than ours.

The Tackle

Forrest needs to be a back up player brought on for 15-20 minute cameos, he’s not good enough to be a regular starter 

Ex member of the SaS

Benny has been superb but he is not the player he was before injury, fell over and nearly lost the ball on a couple of occasions. Too many not up for the fight and as stated before the game, if we don't get right in there we will lose ( and we did ) 

Romulus

Whilst Beni is a very good player for us and has been a big part of our success this season, he really needs at least one midfielder in beside him that can drive the ball forward. Hoff was really starting to come into his own and doing exactly that before injury, he’s been badly missed.

Can we stop with this Beni nonsense.

If Naismith thought for even one second that he wasn't committed, was not giving his best, was playing within himself or not challenging for self-preservation then I 100% guarantee he would be nowhere near the team.

Beni and Devlin were probably our 2 best players yesterday, the problem lay in the final third

HopeDiouf
10 minutes ago, Bozi said:

Can we stop with this Beni nonsense.

If Naismith thought for even one second that he wasn't committed, was not giving his best, was playing within himself or not challenging for self-preservation then I 100% guarantee he would be nowhere near the team.

Beni and Devlin were probably our 2 best players yesterday, the problem lay in the final third

Watch beni standing watching at 2nd goal.....

vegas-voss
17 hours ago, ramrod said:

We created plenty today but  our forwards were poor. We were cut open in transition a good few times today, a proper sitting midfielder like Lundstraum would mitigate that.

That's what Beni should be doing just sit there  mop up and orchestrate instead he is further up the park and gets caught on the ball too much as his first thought is always to turn back and it allows players to press on him.We need Beni ( someone else if he is leaving ) and a couple of creative grafters imo.

3 hours ago, The Tackle said:

Forrest needs to be a back up player brought on for 15-20 minute cameos, he’s not good enough to be a regular starter 

Nope he isn’t either is Vargas 

18 hours ago, hearts00 said:

Really? 

Beni and Devlin tried hard but I’m sorry I was really disappointed with the shape in the midfield and especially with Beni’s performance. I’d let him go and try and get better. We need better. 

Beni’s ‘effort’ at their second goal was laughably pathetic.

He takes ‘breathing out your a**e’ to a new level.