New speed limits

Threedoorsdown

frankblack
11 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

You didn't even realise they no longer run the council, you just blame them for everything. :lol:

No I was quite clear.  Re-read my previous two posts as you have got it wrong.

frankblack

This thread has gone way off topic back to Holyrood and Indy when council issues should be considered completely separately.

Edinburgh council is fundamentally broken and disconnected from the views of its electorate.  We need to organise and vote for a party based on what its council policies are.  Whatever happens at Holyrood and WM has little to do with these lunatic green anti-car policies the council is imposing to the best of my knowledge.

redjambo
50 minutes ago, Cranston said:

We're not really living in fringe times though are we? Fringe times have been solely brought to the fore by fringe parties such as the Snp Greens. They are disastrous for small countries like Scotland that depends on having connected politicians. You call the Greens 'crazy' yet still think the Snp Greens are the best fit for you. You deserve much better than these bams redjambo.

Like the Tory bams who took us out of Europe, the most monumentally stupid decision affecting the UK economy and our society in decades? Or the Labour bams who refuse to even contemplate getting us back in again at any significant level in order not to alienate their new-found ex-Tory supporters? Or the Lib Dem bams who in their one successful modern stab at governing proceeded to pedal back furiously on their policies while propping up the Tories?

Nope, I'll make do with the bams we have. Not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but better than the alternative bams. Of course if there were a proper left-wing internationalist Labour party, they would get my vote, and have got many of my previous votes, but they're not the party they once were, having taken up the traditional Tory position when the latter decided to lurch to the right.

But you knock yourself out with your one-man crusade to get people to vote Conservative. I do like a trier.

redjambo
42 minutes ago, frankblack said:

No I was quite clear.  Re-read my previous two posts as you have got it wrong.

You do realise that Ray Gin was talking to Cranston?

frankblack
23 minutes ago, redjambo said:

You do realise that Ray Gin was talking to Cranston?

I replied to a notification that took me to the post.  Apologies.

Cranston
29 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Like the Tory bams who took us out of Europe, the most monumentally stupid decision affecting the UK economy and our society in decades? Or the Labour bams who refuse to even contemplate getting us back in again at any significant level in order not to alienate their new-found ex-Tory supporters? Or the Lib Dem bams who in their one successful modern stab at governing proceeded to pedal back furiously on their policies while propping up the Tories?

Nope, I'll make do with the bams we have. Not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but better than the alternative bams. Of course if there were a proper left-wing internationalist Labour party, they would get my vote, and have got many of my previous votes, but they're not the party they once were, having taken up the traditional Tory position when the latter decided to lurch to the right.

But you knock yourself out with your one-man crusade to get people to vote Conservative. I do like a trier.

So you're not really an Snp/Independence supporter. Just another anti Tory, who doesn't care how much harm is done to nation states, by fringe party lunatics. Blairite in all but name. 

redjambo
42 minutes ago, Cranston said:

So you're not really an Snp/Independence supporter. Just another anti Tory, who doesn't care how much harm is done to nation states, by fringe party lunatics. Blairite in all but name. 

:D Of course I'm anti-Tory. Lining your own pockets and being intent on finding ways to allow the rich to get richer is not a way to run any country, nor is taking a "Little England" approach to international affairs.

No, I'm not really a SNP supporter, you're right there. I'm only an independence supporter because Brexit brought home the reality that English politics was becoming increasingly insular internationally and also divergent from Scottish politics where we have always had a more internationalist outlook. I wasn't a fan of independence before Brexit because I was perfectly happy being Scottish, British and a EU citizen - all the best of the various worlds. Now I'm forced to choose from only two of these so I choose Scotland and the EU. Only 3 parties offer that way forward, but the greens are too extreme, even for me, and Alba too fringe. It's a pretty easy decision.

redjambo
59 minutes ago, frankblack said:

I replied to a notification that took me to the post.  Apologies.

There may have been an edit in play. No worries, Frank. Hope you're doing well!

Cranston
Just now, redjambo said:

:D Of course I'm anti-Tory. Lining your own pockets and being intent on finding ways to allow the rich to get richer is not a way to run any country, nor is taking a "Little England" approach to international affairs.

No, I'm not really a SNP supporter, you're right there. I'm only an independence supporter because Brexit brought home the reality that English politics was becoming increasingly insular internationally and also divergent from Scottish politics where we have always had a more internationalist outlook. I wasn't a fan of independence before Brexit because I was perfectly happy being Scottish, British and a EU citizen - all the best of the various worlds. Now I'm forced to choose from only two of these so I choose Scotland and the EU. Only 3 parties offer that way forward, but the greens are too extreme, even for me, and Alba too fringe. It's a pretty easy decision.

Your'e very old fashioned, in you're anti Tory politics. Almost ancient even, a dinosaur. No wonder you're a Blairite, happy to cause chaos and anarchy within, for your own ends. Divide and rule. Oldest trick in the book.

redjambo
Just now, Cranston said:

Your'e very old fashioned, in you're anti Tory politics. Almost ancient even, a dinosaur. No wonder you're a Blairite, happy to cause chaos and anarchy within, for your own ends. Divide and rule. Oldest trick in the book.

:D There are not enough laughter emojis in the world.

I'd rather be communicating with an AI. I'd getter a far better argument out of it.

Oh, and Blair was a ****.

Cranston
Just now, redjambo said:

:D There are not enough laughter emojis in the world.

I'd rather be communicating with an AI. I'd getter a far better argument out of it.

Oh, and Blair was a ****.

Would you really. Aye right. Pure old dinosaur loony left. Blair was of the same mould. Stop using the Snp Greens as a vehicle for chaos and anarchy.

The Real Maroonblood
7 hours ago, redjambo said:

A huge proportion of your posts seem to be bitter attacks on the SNP and the Greens. They just own you, don't they? :)

:lol:

Cranston
13 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Bloody ex labour blairites. A blot upon the landscape. 

The Real Maroonblood
6 minutes ago, Cranston said:

Bloody ex labour blairites. A blot upon the landscape. 

:wow:

Threedoorsdown
4 hours ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

I'm away for 6-8 weeks at a time, so it really would be a big ask of her. I know she'd manage, but it would be grossly unfair. 

Ouch. Can’t be easy. Aiming for early retirement?

il Duce McTarkin
3 minutes ago, Threedoorsdown said:

Ouch. Can’t be easy. Aiming for early retirement?

I'm kicking 50 and my kids are under 5. 

I'll be dead before I can think about retiring.

Threedoorsdown
14 minutes ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

I'm kicking 50 and my kids are under 5. 

I'll be dead before I can think about retiring.

Your own fault shagger 😂

il Duce McTarkin
Just now, Threedoorsdown said:

Your own fault shagger 😂

Wouldn't change it, bud. Best thing ever. 😄

10 hours ago, Cranston said:

Would you really. Aye right. Pure old dinosaur loony left. Blair was of the same mould. Stop using the Snp Greens as a vehicle for chaos and anarchy.

You have posted some utter garbage since you joined/changed your username but calling Tony Blair a loony leftie tops the lot. 

On 20/04/2024 at 21:27, Threedoorsdown said:

The following roads going down to 30MPH speed limits over the summer. Madness.

• Lanark Road
  • West Approach Road

Lanark Road has been a 30 for a few years now. 

And Western Approach just has a short bit currently that's 40. From Dundee Street on-ramp, to the end of Fountain Park building, about 330 meters. 

On 20/04/2024 at 22:08, Greedy Jambo said:

30mph down the lanark road :bolt: I've driven down that road twice a day for the last 20 years, I wouldn't be surprised if the guy that put this through doesn't even drive. 

You drive it twice a day and don't know it's been a 30 for a couple of years.     😐

il Duce McTarkin
17 hours ago, redjambo said:

:D Of course I'm anti-Tory. Lining your own pockets

Not much wrong with lining your own pockets. I'd be daft for that carry on if only I was smart enough.

17 hours ago, redjambo said:

A reasonable and well explained post by your own generally low standards, red.

Like it. 👍

It all went erse over heel when Tony Blair decided to bomb the middle east rather than fixing our potholes

I P Knightley

I've always felt that 20mph zones should be limited to the vicinity of schools and other areas where kids may run into the road - play parks etc. But they just seem to be getting allocated willy-nilly. Why, for instance, is Polwarth Terrace 30mph from Colinton Road up to Harrison Road but you've got to go past the Orwell Lodge at 20mph? It's no more or less residential in that stretch.

Taking a stretch of road which, for years, has handled a 40mph limit and deciding it should be 30 (such as Lanark Road - whenever it happened) strikes me as being overkill. It's also costly to get all the signage and road markings changed. 

I think it's just something that councils can do easily and tick off a box to say that they've enhanced safety, rather than finding other priorities that benefit the majority of residents in a tangible way. 

As others have mentioned, you'd be daft to want to do much more than 30mph on most Edinburgh roads. I've been on better road surfaces in Accra, Lagos & Nairobi (on average) than round Edinburgh. I wouldn't cycle on Edinburgh roads and would worry about the damage being done to wheels & suspension if I were to be driving any faster than 30mph. 

Greedy Jambo
2 hours ago, SUTOL said:

You drive it twice a day and don't know it's been a 30 for a couple of years.     😐

The part i drive down is 60. 

KevinKyle10
On 21/04/2024 at 17:55, frankblack said:

We have arrogant people who are using Edinburgh to create division like Arthur, who aren't interested in hearing alternative views.

I'm amazed, people really don't realise they do exactly as they accuse others of doing.

But it's totally cool if they agree with you.

frankblack
1 hour ago, KevinKyle10 said:

I'm amazed, people really don't realise they do exactly as they accuse others of doing.

But it's totally cool if they agree with you.

What is your point as that made no sense whatsoever?

KevinKyle10
10 hours ago, frankblack said:

What is your point as that made no sense whatsoever?

Sorry, I didn't think I'd made it difficult.

You accused a group of people of acting divisively, and not listening to other people's views.

I insinuated you have done exactly the same, but you don't mind it when others do exactly the same (as you and you accuse others of doing) as long as their views are aligned with yours.

Basically calling out your hypocrisy.

If you still don't understand, I'll get the wee ones crayons out for you next.

frankblack
1 hour ago, KevinKyle10 said:

Sorry, I didn't think I'd made it difficult.

You accused a group of people of acting divisively, and not listening to other people's views.

I insinuated you have done exactly the same, but you don't mind it when others do exactly the same (as you and you accuse others of doing) as long as their views are aligned with yours.

Basically calling out your hypocrisy.

If you still don't understand, I'll get the wee ones crayons out for you next.

What a load of bollocks - your first post was word salad and now you throw a tantrum.  Are you working for the Labour group at the council as you seem particularly sensitive?

I live in the Corstorphine area where he aggrivated the locals so much they cut down his oppressive camera twice.  Then he blocked off roads near Tesco.  No consultation with residents groups in either case.

Now he wants to cut perfectly safe 40mph speed limits on the likes of Queensferry Road. 

Since the council don't listen to residents its only groups like this where you can object.

Edited by frankblack

2 hours ago, frankblack said:

What a load of bollocks - your first post was word salad and now you throw a tantrum.  Are you working for the Labour group at the council as you seem particularly sensitive?

I live in the Corstorphine area where he aggrivated the locals so much they cut down his oppressive camera twice.  Then he blocked off roads near Tesco.  No consultation with residents groups in either case.

Now he wants to cut perfectly safe 40mph speed limits on the likes of Queensferry Road. 

Since the council don't listen to residents its only groups like this where you can object.

Perfectly safe?  Hit by a car at 40mph - 90% chance of being killed.  At 30mph this drops to 50%.

My suspicion is that if it’s dropped to 30 then they assume people will push their luck and drive at 35-ish as opposed to 45-ish.

Also on busy roads having everyone travelling smoothly at a lower speed is actually better than horsing along and then braking and then speeding up and then braking.  That’s what leads to ‘phantom traffic jams’ and why speed limits are reduced on motorways when they are very busy.

Don’t get me wrong, as a very frequent user, doing 30mph on Queensferry Road will be a pain in the hoop - but it will be safer for all road users.

frankblack
38 minutes ago, FWJ said:

Perfectly safe?  Hit by a car at 40mph - 90% chance of being killed.  At 30mph this drops to 50%.

This road has been a 40mph for 50+ years.  My question is why now.

My suspicion is that if it’s dropped to 30 then they assume people will push their luck and drive at 35-ish as opposed to 45-ish.

I think you are optimistic there over aggressive drivers.  They already do 60+ in my experience.  Dropping the speed limit won't lower theirs.

Also on busy roads having everyone travelling smoothly at a lower speed is actually better than horsing along and then braking and then speeding up and then braking.  That’s what leads to ‘phantom traffic jams’ and why speed limits are reduced on motorways when they are very busy.

Not in my experience.

Maybury Road used to be a 50 now its 30.  You end up with aggressive drivers tailgating you and just about running you off the road if you hold them up on the long single lane stretch they created off Queensferry Road.

Don’t get me wrong, as a very frequent user, doing 30mph on Queensferry Road will be a pain in the hoop - but it will be safer for all road users.

I grew up just off there and the accidents on it tended to be driver error e.g. unfit drivers losing control and going into a wall.  Its been fine to be 40mph for over fifty years.

Imagine the additional air pollution caused by the queuing traffic at rush hours.

KevinKyle10
3 hours ago, frankblack said:

Feel free to point out my tantrum, as I said I pointed out your hypocrisy in regards to listening to people, the tone of your post proves my point

No I don't work for the labour group, again can you point me to anywhere where I've made it seem like that? Or is it because, again I pointed out that you want people to listen to you, but aren't willing to listen to them?

As for being sensitive, try re-reading your post.

So close to where the guy was killed on corstorphine road two weeks ago? But you're right, cars and drivers aren't the problem in Edinburgh

I'm not sure you know what oppression means, it certainly doesn't mean "I'm forced to use a different road for four hours a day." The people of corstorphine seem to think it only happens to them. It really doesn't

I haven't once said you can't come on here and object, unless you can point it out. I merely (fourth time now... Yawn...) pointed out that it was laughable that you complained about not being listened to, whilst simultaneously putting those who disagree with you, down, without, (can you guess?) listening.

Cannot wait for your froth at the mouth response, I'm waiting for "tax on motorist," "cash cow," and "back handers/envelopes," for house. Try work them in.

il Duce McTarkin
15 minutes ago, frankblack said:

This road has been a 40mph for 50+ years.  My question is why now.

I think you are optimistic there over aggressive drivers.  They already do 60+ in my experience.  Dropping the speed limit won't lower theirs.

Not in my experience.

Maybury Road used to be a 50 now its 30.  You end up with aggressive drivers tailgating you and just about running you off the road if you hold them up on the long single lane stretch they created off Queensferry Road.

I grew up just off there and the accidents on it tended to be driver error e.g. unfit drivers losing control and going into a wall.  Its been fine to be 40mph for over fifty years.

Imagine the additional air pollution caused by the queuing traffic at rush hours.

Pretty much every one of your rebuttals there involves drivers being arseholes. 

In answer to the 'why now' question... because drivers can't be trusted not to be arseholes.

21 hours ago, Greedy Jambo said:

The part i drive down is 60. 

The NSL won't be changing to a 30. 

frankblack
5 hours ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

Pretty much every one of your rebuttals there involves drivers being arseholes. 

In answer to the 'why now' question... because drivers can't be trusted not to be arseholes.

Fair point on the drivers being arseholes.

However, you punish 95% of good drivers rather than get these guys off the road.

frankblack
5 hours ago, KevinKyle10 said:

Feel free to point out my tantrum, as I said I pointed out your hypocrisy in regards to listening to people, the tone of your post proves my point

No I don't work for the labour group, again can you point me to anywhere where I've made it seem like that? Or is it because, again I pointed out that you want people to listen to you, but aren't willing to listen to them?

As for being sensitive, try re-reading your post.

So close to where the guy was killed on corstorphine road two weeks ago? But you're right, cars and drivers aren't the problem in Edinburgh

I'm not sure you know what oppression means, it certainly doesn't mean "I'm forced to use a different road for four hours a day." The people of corstorphine seem to think it only happens to them. It really doesn't

I haven't once said you can't come on here and object, unless you can point it out. I merely (fourth time now... Yawn...) pointed out that it was laughable that you complained about not being listened to, whilst simultaneously putting those who disagree with you, down, without, (can you guess?) listening.

Cannot wait for your froth at the mouth response, I'm waiting for "tax on motorist," "cash cow," and "back handers/envelopes," for house. Try work them in.

You are having an absolute 'mare.  Only one person frothing at the mouth and that is you.

I'm just chilling on a beer before a meal out with family. 

As for your point about a young guy being killed.  That was on the Balgreen side of Corstorphine Road late on a Saturday night possibly caused by other factors, and nowhere near these traffic measures on Manse Rd and Featherhall.  Have a lie down.

KevinKyle10
8 hours ago, frankblack said:

You are having an absolute 'mare.  Only one person frothing at the mouth and that is you.

In what way am I having a 'mare? Because I don't agree with you? Mind what I was saying about hypocrisy?

As for your point about a young guy being killed.  That was on the Balgreen side of Corstorphine Road late on a Saturday night possibly caused by other factors, and nowhere near these traffic measures on Manse Rd and Featherhall

8oclock isn't late on a Saturday night. The standard of driver in Edinburgh is shocking, and short of retesting everyone, I don't know what the answer is. Slowing idiots down will help though.

Have a lie down.

Sounding awful foamy mouthed there.