New speed limits

Threedoorsdown

Threedoorsdown

The following roads going down to 30MPH speed limits over the summer. Madness.

• Lanark Road
  • West Approach Road
  • Comiston Road
  • Biggar Road
  • Riccarton Mains Road
  • Calder Road
  • Wester Hailes Road
  • Glasgow Road (between Gogar roundabout and Drum Brae roundabout)
  • Glasgow Road (between Newbridge roundabout and east end of Ratho Station)
  • Old Liston Road
  • Gogar Station Road
  • South Gyle Broadway
  • South Gyle Access
  • Queensferry Road
  • Hillhouse Road
  • Frogston Brae
  • Seafield Road East
  • Sir Harry Lauder Road
  • Milton Link
  • Milton Road
  • Milton Road East
  • Hawes Brae

The Real Maroonblood
9 minutes ago, Threedoorsdown said:

• Lanark Road
  • West Approach Road
  • Comiston Road
  • Biggar Road
  • Riccarton Mains Road
  • Calder Road
  • Wester Hailes Road
  • Old Liston Road
  • Gogar Station Road
  • South Gyle Broadway
  • South Gyle Access
  • Queensferry Road
  • Hillhouse Road
  • Frogston Brae
  • Seafield Road East
  • Sir Harry Lauder Road
  • Milton Link
  • Milton Road
  • Milton Road East
  • Hawes Brae

It'll slow people down so they can 

negotiate the pot holes better. 

Threedoorsdown
4 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

It'll slow people down so they can 

negotiate the pot holes better. 

I just don’t understand the logic. I’m actually down in Eyemouth for the weekend. It’s quite nice, seriously considering getting out of Edinburgh now. It’s not the same city as it was, it’s got a totally different feel to it now.

The Real Maroonblood
14 minutes ago, Threedoorsdown said:

I just don’t understand the logic. I’m actually down in Eyemouth for the weekend. It’s quite nice, seriously considering getting out of Edinburgh now. It’s not the same city as it was, it’s got a totally different feel to it now.

It's certainly has changed a lot. 

Big decision to move out especially if you work in Edinburgh. 

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Thought it was another drugs thread🙄

:lol:

Greedy Jambo
38 minutes ago, Threedoorsdown said:

• Lanark Road
  • West Approach Road
  • Comiston Road
  • Biggar Road
  • Riccarton Mains Road
  • Calder Road
  • Wester Hailes Road
  • Old Liston Road
  • Gogar Station Road
  • South Gyle Broadway
  • South Gyle Access
  • Queensferry Road
  • Hillhouse Road
  • Frogston Brae
  • Seafield Road East
  • Sir Harry Lauder Road
  • Milton Link
  • Milton Road
  • Milton Road East
  • Hawes Brae

30mph down the lanark road :bolt: I've driven down that road twice a day for the last 20 years, I wouldn't be surprised if the guy that put this through doesn't even drive. 

Cranston

I've thankfully moved out of the madhouse transport system that is Edinburgh Council, which is a lunacy all to themselves. Its difficult to accurately describe just how isolated and closeted against public opinion these bams in power have become. The question is, how long will it take to eject these maniacs, who are hell bent on making Edinburgh citizens lives ever more miserable, and poorer? Decades probably.

PortyJambo
31 minutes ago, Threedoorsdown said:

We moved to the Borders last year, and I seriously don't miss Edinburgh at all. Especially driving around the place, I hate every time I have to go into the city, takes longer to get anywhere than it does for me to get to the outskirts.

Cranston

But but, we just care about you poor people who drive too fast and could harm other people. Same as driving up prices on alcohol etc, we only care about you, the people.  Making life much more difficult for you, only shows that we care about you. Take care the Snp Greens.

Threedoorsdown
6 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

It's certainly has changed a lot. 

Big decision to move out especially if you work in Edinburgh. 

It’s a huge decision. My boys are 4 this year. I’m not sure Edinburgh is the place I now want them to grow up. Thankfully, I can work fully remote. So work wouldn’t be an issue. 

In reality the decision is made. There’s some lovely parts in Perth that really appeal. 

I need to find the perfect population/village pub / distance to Edinburgh. A school maybe handy aswell, but pub more so.

Ministryofdad
1 hour ago, Threedoorsdown said:

It’s a huge decision. My boys are 4 this year. I’m not sure Edinburgh is the place I now want them to grow up. Thankfully, I can work fully remote. So work wouldn’t be an issue. 

In reality the decision is made. There’s some lovely parts in Perth that really appeal. 

I need to find the perfect population/village pub / distance to Edinburgh. A school maybe handy aswell, but pub more so.

Reston. Even got a train station. No pub unfortunately 

7 hours ago, Cranston said:

But but, we just care about you poor people who drive too fast and could harm other people. Same as driving up prices on alcohol etc, we only care about you, the people.  Making life much more difficult for you, only shows that we care about you. Take care the Snp Greens.

Snp Greens???? You might want to check who is in charge of edinburgh council 

Herbert.
2 hours ago, Threedoorsdown said:

Perth wasnt great when I left 10years ago, It used to have loads of good pubs and it never seemed to have much of a drink or drug problem but by the time I left it alot diffrent, It's like Edinburgh now it doesnt feel the same as it used to.

Bridge of Earn just outside Perth is worth a shout though.

52 minutes ago, XB52 said:

Aye but the SNP Greens though, still their fault innit.

I see a lot of speed cameras in Edinburgh are being permanently turned off. At least 3 on Colinton Road 

manaliveits105
9 hours ago, Greedy Jambo said:

30mph down the lanark road :bolt: I've driven down that road twice a day for the last 20 years, I wouldn't be surprised if the guy that put this through doesn't even drive. 

It will slow the cam heid lycra cyclists doon though 

Sir Harry Lauder Rd, already governs itself during the misnomer "Rush Hour"...would love to feel the geeee's at 30mph on that Rd...:laugh2:

Ray Gin
10 hours ago, Cranston said:

Sturgeon!!@!

:vangry: 

Ray Gin
10 hours ago, Cranston said:

I've thankfully moved out of the madhouse transport system that is Edinburgh Council, which is a lunacy all to themselves. Its difficult to accurately describe just how isolated and closeted against public opinion these bams in power have become. The question is, how long will it take to eject these maniacs, who are hell bent on making Edinburgh citizens lives ever more miserable, and poorer? Decades probably.

What maniacs are you referring to? The current lot have been in a couple of years. 

Threedoorsdown
36 minutes ago, FWJ said:

In other news ….

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/edinburghs-jobless-total-halved-economy-booming-and-average-pay-higher-than-elsewhere-4594279

I remember Edinburgh in the 70s & 80s.  It’s not what it was, it’s better.

Herein lies a lot of the issues. You cannot judge quality of life based on pounds and pence.

The constant strive for incremental growth and hitting the next step on the ladder. It’s all nonsense. All of it. All these company men up and down the country who have devoted their entires lives to these large corporations who in turn avoid as much tax as they can leaving these same employees facing a bankrupt country with crumbling services.

It’s all a giant con. Let’s take Amazon for example, 33.6billion in turnover in the UK in 2023 and £781m in tax. 

I earn a tiny fraction of that amount and I’m taxed at a higher percentage, however the Pm this week goes after the PIP claimants instead.

The game is rigged and I no longer want to play 👍

highlandjambo3

I go down to Edinburgh fairly regularly to visit family and take in the odd football match, I get to about Dunfermline area and it reminds me why I’ll never live in Edinburgh again.  

I Love living in inverness, taking a guided tour out to Skye tomorrow then Applecross & torridon on Tuesday, we’ll be feeding hairy coos tomorrow and Calum the wild stag on Tuesday….tourists love it 👍

33 minutes ago, Threedoorsdown said:

Herein lies a lot of the issues. You cannot judge quality of life based on pounds and pence.

The constant strive for incremental growth and hitting the next step on the ladder. It’s all nonsense. All of it. All these company men up and down the country who have devoted their entires lives to these large corporations who in turn avoid as much tax as they can leaving these same employees facing a bankrupt country with crumbling services.

It’s all a giant con. Let’s take Amazon for example, 33.6billion in turnover in the UK in 2023 and £781m in tax. 

I earn a tiny fraction of that amount and I’m taxed at a higher percentage, however the Pm this week goes after the PIP claimants instead.

The game is rigged and I no longer want to play 👍

https://www.totaljobs.com/recruiter-advice/quality-of-life-index-the-best-uk-cities-to-live-and-work-in-2023

There are plenty of other surveys that show the same or similar.

Edit to add: Edinburgh also has the highest life expectancy of the UK’s 8 largest cities and the highest % of life spent in good health.

Edited by FWJ

The Real Maroonblood
5 hours ago, Threedoorsdown said:

Good luck whatever you decide.

Yes, I wish you well if you do move - but getting out of a city (any city) for life in the country is different from getting out of Edinburgh because of new speed limits or other motor traffic restrictions?

henryheart
2 hours ago, FWJ said:

In other news ….

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/edinburghs-jobless-total-halved-economy-booming-and-average-pay-higher-than-elsewhere-4594279

I remember Edinburgh in the 70s & 80s.  It’s not what it was, it’s better.

So do I and I don't agree. Obviously it is all about opinions and there is no right or wrong answer, but my comments are based on:

The city centre is permanently rammed with tourists while in those days once the festival finished us residents got the place to ourselves.

The traffic is now horrendous. In those days you could drive into and park in the city centre easily.

Princess Street had some decent shops and certainly wasn't tacky like it now is. 

If it was cold and you wanted to do some shopping you could go to the warm, indoors St James Centre rather than the always freezing wind tunnel that is the St James Quarter.

The ERI was in the centre of town and easily accessible for all.  

House prices are now plain stupid.

I just find living in Edinburgh to be much more challenging and less attractive than it used to be.

il Duce McTarkin
26 minutes ago, henryheart said:

House prices are now plain stupid.

This.

Threedoorsdown
Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

This.

Yep. My friends daughter rents out her spare room in Muirhouse - one bedroom in a shared three bed house - £850 a month.

Muirhouse!!!!!! 

* Thanks to all the well wishers. I think there are currently a lot of people weighing up options. Hopefully life gets abit better for all 👍

Edited by Threedoorsdown

il Duce McTarkin
1 hour ago, Threedoorsdown said:

Yep. My friends daughter rents out her spare room in Muirhouse - one bedroom in a shared three bed house - £850 a month.

Muirhouse!!!!!! 

* Thanks to all the well wishers. I think there are currently a lot of people weighing up options. Hopefully life gets abit better for all 👍

It's mental. One bed flats in Gorgie at 800-900 pounds pcm.

Half a million for a 3 bed family home in decent neighbourhoods. Crazy. The levels of debt some people must be exposed to is frightening. I couldn't sleep at night.

I'd be out of Edinburgh pronto, but I work away a lot and it would be unfair on my good lady to take her further away from her support network with two young kids to look after.

Best of luck with your move. I think you know that you're doing the right thing for you. 

The Mighty Thor
7 hours ago, XB52 said:

😂

redjambo
15 hours ago, Cranston said:

A huge proportion of your posts seem to be bitter attacks on the SNP and the Greens. They just own you, don't they? :)

If carlsberg did rivals...
4 hours ago, Threedoorsdown said:

Muirhouse!!!!!! 

That's extortionate mate, my first rented flat was at the West Port, right next to the chicken dippers, in the late 90's, £300 pcm for a one bedroom furnished flat!

indianajones

Edinburgh :rofl:

As Don Vito said... 'Look how they massacred my boy'.

hughesie27

Unless they introduce morebsp3ed cameras in won't make a difference. Just like the 20MPH doesn't.

Threedoorsdown
4 hours ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

It's mental. One bed flats in Gorgie at 800-900 pounds pcm.

Half a million for a 3 bed family home in decent neighbourhoods. Crazy. The levels of debt some people must be exposed to is frightening. I couldn't sleep at night.

I'd be out of Edinburgh pronto, but I work away a lot and it would be unfair on my good lady to take her further away from her support network with two young kids to look after.

Best of luck with your move. I think you know that you're doing the right thing for you. 

I’m in the exact same boat. Away for at least 12 working days a month 

Cranston
3 hours ago, redjambo said:

A huge proportion of your posts seem to be bitter attacks on the SNP and the Greens. They just own you, don't they? :)

They massively disappoint me, and Scotland for that matter. Authoritarian fringe policy lunatics.

redjambo
6 minutes ago, Cranston said:

They massively disappoint me, and Scotland for that matter. Authoritarian fringe policy lunatics.

Sorry to hear that. Shame we have no viable options in Scotland, or the UK for that matter, at the moment.

Cranston
4 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Sorry to hear that. Shame we have no viable options in Scotland, or the UK for that matter, at the moment.

Yeah, its such a shame Scotland is in the control of the weird and not so wonderful fringe elements. 

Edited by Cranston

il Duce McTarkin
10 minutes ago, Threedoorsdown said:

I’m in the exact same boat. Away for at least 12 working days a month 

I'm away for 6-8 weeks at a time, so it really would be a big ask of her. I know she'd manage, but it would be grossly unfair. 

frankblack
6 minutes ago, Cranston said:

It doesn't matter who we vote in to the council - Labour, SNP or both.

You get a continuity in policies.  They have utter contempt for the voters.

So called consultations on roads are clearly circulated to the cyclists and other extremist anti-car minority groups.

When one like a consultation on the spaces for people gets elevated to the general public attention and goes against them they refuse to publish the results and ignore it.

Probably the only last meaningful voting option for Edinburgh is to get a Tory council.

Cranston
1 minute ago, frankblack said:

It doesn't matter who we vote in to the council - Labour, SNP or both.

You get a continuity in policies.  They have utter contempt for the voters.

So called consultations on roads are clearly circulated to the cyclists and other extremist anti-car minority groups.

When one like a consultation on the spaces for people gets elevated to the general public attention and goes against them they refuse to publish the results and ignore it.

Probably the only last meaningful voting option for Edinburgh is to get a Tory council.

We certainly need something progressive, rather than the lunacy from the anti common sense nutters that pervade Scottish politics. Maybe the Tories do deserve a shot at it. Certainly couldn't be any worse than the current bams.

frankblack
Just now, Cranston said:

We certainly need something progressive, rather than the lunacy from the anti common sense nutters that pervade Scottish politics. Maybe the Tories do deserve a shot at it. Certainly couldn't be any worse than the current bams.

The key thing here is not to vote on national issues and the personalities of what you see at Holyrood and Westminster.

This has nothing to do with that and zero influence on that level.  Its about appointing people to manage bin collections and fix potholes, etc.

We have arrogant people who are using Edinburgh to create division like Arthur, who aren't interested in hearing alternative views.

redjambo
8 minutes ago, Cranston said:

Yeah, its such a shame Scotland is in the control of the weird and not so wonderful fringe elements. 

No other party provides a viable alternative. We're living in fringe times. Either fringe right, fringe left, or fringe let's just see how the wind blows. So, best to pick a party that aims generally in your direction (for me, left-wing, anti-Tory, pro-European, independence-seeking) and hope for the best. The SNP is still the closest match for me, despite the crazy Greens and the current disconnect. I assume that the Tories are closest to your beliefs and opinions.

Cranston
17 minutes ago, frankblack said:

The key thing here is not to vote on national issues and the personalities of what you see at Holyrood and Westminster.

This has nothing to do with that and zero influence on that level.  Its about appointing people to manage bin collections and fix potholes, etc.

We have arrogant people who are using Edinburgh to create division like Arthur, who aren't interested in hearing alternative views.

👍

They've been at it for decades. 

Ray Gin
50 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Edited by Ray Gin

Cranston
29 minutes ago, redjambo said:

No other party provides a viable alternative. We're living in fringe times. Either fringe right, fringe left, or fringe let's just see how the wind blows. So, best to pick a party that aims generally in your direction (for me, left-wing, anti-Tory, pro-European, independence-seeking) and hope for the best. The SNP is still the closest match for me, despite the crazy Greens and the current disconnect. I assume that the Tories are closest to your beliefs and opinions.

We're not really living in fringe times though are we? Fringe times have been solely brought to the fore by fringe parties such as the Snp Greens. They are disastrous for small countries like Scotland that depends on having connected politicians. You call the Greens 'crazy' yet still think the Snp Greens are the best fit for you. You deserve much better than these bams redjambo.

Ray Gin
5 minutes ago, Cranston said:

We're not really living in fringe times though are we? Fringe times have been solely brought to the fore by fringe parties such as the Snp Greens. They are disastrous for small countries like Scotland that depends on having connected politicians. You call the Greens 'crazy' yet still think the Snp Greens are the best fit for you. You deserve much better than these bams redjambo.

You didn't even realise they no longer run the council, you just blame them for everything. :lol:

Cranston
1 minute ago, Ray Gin said:

You didn't even realise they no longer run the council, you just blame them for everything. :lol:

No, I also vehemently blame Tony Blair for giving fringe party lunatics a platform, to shite from a high height onto ordinary people who don't deserve these bams to be in charge of our country.