CV for a 16 yo.

muldoon74

muldoon74

My 16yo grandson wants a job so obviously needs to apply on internet as no-one takes on teens who just walk in and ask to see manager anymore...

Any advise on layout for a 16yo who hasn't even got exam results yet?! 

Modern world sucks for personal interaction... 

rudi must stay

Have a paragraph saying your age that your hardworking etc and your education

Then list of jobs

After that you could put a key skills bit with it like this

Key skills

-

-

Then after that references if you have any and grades you've achieved

Greedy Jambo
9 minutes ago, muldoon74 said:

My 16yo grandson wants a job so obviously needs to apply on internet as no-one takes on teens who just walk in and ask to see manager anymore...

I could probably get him a job in our warehouse, he wouldn't need a CV, he just needs to be reasonably fit, and willing to learn. 

Greedy Jambo

Let's face it, what's a 16 year old going to put on his CV? 

"went to school, completed Mortal Kombat on the xbox, love the odd vape when my parents aren't looking" 

It's pointless. 

We've taken on more business than we can handle, so it's quite likely he'll be hired if he's not a nut job. 

PM me if he's interested, I'll give you more details/ location etc, and pass it on to my "boss"

Edited by Greedy Jambo

Legend Claws
27 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Have a paragraph saying your age that your hardworking etc and your education

Then list of jobs

After that you could put a key skills bit with it like this

Key skills

-

-

Then after that references if you have any and grades you've achieved

He's not had a job.

rudi must stay
4 minutes ago, Legend Claws said:

He's not had a job.

Yup thought I'd say that anyway to help someone else 

rudi must stay
38 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

I could probably get him a job in our warehouse, he wouldn't need a CV, he just needs to be reasonably fit, and willing to learn. 

It's a kind offer but I've heard the lad won't accept a role any lower than manager. He believes his lack of experience is no hurdle

Greedy Jambo
5 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

It's a kind offer but I've heard the lad won't accept a role any lower than manager. He believes his lack of experience is no hurdle

Ha, that's closer to the truth than you know, we've taken on a 17 year old that thinks he's 40, he's never wrong in his head 😂

He's a good lad though, and i shall continue to cover for his mistakes, while telling him off in a nice way, ha. 

Edited by Greedy Jambo

Threedoorsdown

Working in a warehouse at 16 is a good move. Makes you realise you want to work harder in life to ensure that’s not you till your 70.

muldoon74
1 hour ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Let's face it, what's a 16 year old going to put on his CV? 

"went to school, completed Mortal Kombat on the xbox, love the odd vape when my parents aren't looking" 

It's pointless. 

We've taken on more business than we can handle, so it's quite likely he'll be hired if he's not a nut job. 

PM me if he's interested, I'll give you more details/ location etc, and pass it on to my "boss"

He's still in school and staying there, wants to join the police further down the road. 

As such he can only do after school and/or weekends.. 

Cranston

I know guys who say they were very fortunate to get onto the YTS courses back in the day. In the days of high unemployment, the YTS was a great opportunity for young people to learn skills and apprenticeships that lasted them their whole lifetime. Getting a trade is still a very worthwhile and lucrative source of employment. Unfortunately, Blair trumpeted University Degrees as the way forward, and since then we've had generations that think hard work and graft is beneath them. Another lunatic bam that somehow got into power.

rudi must stay
9 minutes ago, Threedoorsdown said:

Working in a warehouse at 16 is a good move. Makes you realise you want to work harder in life to ensure that’s not you till your 70.

Working in a warehouse isn't a bad job. Better than hospitality

Greedy Jambo
10 minutes ago, muldoon74 said:

He's still in school and staying there, wants to join the police further down the road. 

As such he can only do after school and/or weekends.. 

Cool. 

We're not open at night or the weekend. 

Supermarkets are his best bet. 

Greedy Jambo
10 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Warehouse would be his role at 16 years of age, he's not going to be able to do anything else without experience, but he would have opportunities to do sales, office work, etc. 

Our 17 year wants to go to the navy... God help them. 

Edited by Greedy Jambo

luckyBatistuta

Ha, that's closer to the truth than you know, we've taken on a 17 year old that thinks he's 40, he's never wrong in his head 😂

He's a good lad though, and i shall continue to cover for his mistakes, while telling him off in a nice way, ha. 

Didn’t know Michael Stewart had a laddie

Ministryofdad

Depends on what he wants to do. 

What career path he wants. 

Asking a generic question as such on here means nothing. 

I can mind when I was 16 I was already working 60 hours a week in a kitchen learning. 

I started when I was 14 

But again it comes to who you know not what you know. 

Greedy Jambo
Just now, luckyBatistuta said:

Didn’t know Michael Stewart had a laddie

He's not claimed to play for Man Utd yet, but it's early days. 

luckyBatistuta
1 minute ago, Greedy Jambo said:

He's not claimed to play for Man Utd yet, but it's early days. 

:lol::lol:

JudyJudyJudy
43 minutes ago, Cranston said:

I know guys who say they were very fortunate to get onto the YTS courses back in the day. In the days of high unemployment, the YTS was a great opportunity for young people to learn skills and apprenticeships that lasted them their whole lifetime. Getting a trade is still a very worthwhile and lucrative source of employment. Unfortunately, Blair trumpeted University Degrees as the way forward, and since then we've had generations that think hard work and graft is beneath them. Another lunatic bam that somehow got into power.

Very good posting , Nothing wrong with a young person starting at the bottom of the rung of a business or industry and working their way up. In fact id say its far more preferable to the more insular , cosseted world of University .  Young people can learn so much in the work place and also earn their way and build up relationships with colleagues and learn the values of working in a team and team work etc.  They can learn from older more experienced adults and also enjoy the independance of earning their own way in life 

JudyJudyJudy
52 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

I worked in hotels and bars  One bar job in particular i loved but the wages were crap and there were not much opportunities for career advancement

Cranston
1 minute ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Very good posting , Nothing wrong with a young person starting at the bottom of the rung of a business or industry and working their way up. In fact id say its far more preferable to the more insular , cosseted world of University .  Young people can learn so much in the work place and also earn their way and build up relationships with colleagues and learn the values of working in a team and team work etc.  They can learn from older more experienced adults and also enjoy the independance of earning their own way in life 

👍

These men who entered the world of apprenticeships via YTS swear by it. Loved the opportunity of gaining lifelong skills and comradeship. A different world from the Blair degrees and entitlement. A pure lunatic bam.

Greedy Jambo
Just now, JudyJudyJudy said:

I worked in hotels and bars  One bar job in particular i loved but the wages were crap and there were not much opportunities for career advancement

Yup, but at 16, you're not going to get good wages, unfortunately, you're going to get about 7 quid per hour, but loads of experience. 

Then you can move on to bigger and better things. 

JudyJudyJudy
Just now, Cranston said:

👍

These men who entered the world of apprenticeships via YTS swear by it. Loved the opportunity of gaining lifelong skills and comradeship. A different world from the Blair degrees and entitlement. A pure lunatic bam.

Yes he promoted the perpetual students . Some   Learning a load of shite really in ludicrious courses, when i went to Uni i went when i wanted to go and had had plenty work experience before i went 

JudyJudyJudy
Just now, Greedy Jambo said:

Yup, but at 16, you're not going to get good wages, unfortunately, you're going to get about 7 quid per hour, but loads of experience. 

Yep thats what i was basically saying  . You learn a lot of life lessons with working too 

Cranston
Just now, JudyJudyJudy said:

Yes he promoted the perpetual students . Some   Learning a load of shite really in ludicrious courses, when i went to Uni i went when i wanted to go and had had plenty work experience before i went 

👍

Exactly Judy 

Blair knew what he was doing when overloading Universities with people who weren't qualified for them. He knew it kick off generations of people with over entitlement, and chips on shoulder. 

JudyJudyJudy
10 minutes ago, Cranston said:

👍

Exactly Judy 

Blair knew what he was doing when overloading Universities with people who weren't qualified for them. He knew it kick off generations of people with over entitlement, and chips on shoulder. 

Exactly and that set the rot in 

Cranston
9 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Exactly and that set the rot in 

👍

muldoon74

Cool. 

We're not open at night or the weekend. 

Supermarkets are his best bet. 

Sounds like a good warehouse to work in. 

Company I work for is the same although I'm a driver not in the warehouse. 

I've had a wee look on indeed and s1jobs (they were useless for me so god knows why I thought they'd help him!)..

NMW for a 16yo in Scotland is £6.40ph. Sounds crap but when i think that when I was 19/20 I was still £3 odds an hour. First job was £1.16 an hour. I was sacked because they heard I'd joined the Army. I had but my joining date was 7 months away! I think it was because I was 18 in a couple of months and they wanted to a few pence on the wages I'd be able to "demand".. 

43 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Same as me, I'd always wanted a degree (my Dad had hopes for me being the first in the family etc..) but I ended up doing it when I wanted it for me not anybody else. I was 38 when I started my HND, led onto years 3/4 of BSc(Hons), led onto PGDip... Couldn't get a job and now drive trucks. I'll never pay my student loans off. Probably ever. My current wages are just below the threshold for repayment so when I get my quarterly bonus I lose about £17 off of that. Like I say, never getting paid off.!  The annoying thing is when I was applying for jobs with my HND I got told "you need a degree".. Got the degree.. "you need a masters or at least PGDip".. It was impossible to even get a starting position because I was then over qualified but with no experience!! 

I've taken my last CV and am using the layout to create my grandsons. Obviously no work experience so trying to just use his hobbies etc to show transferable skills (teamwork etc relatable to jobs he's applying for) and a decent personal statement.

Not much else can be done for a first CV with no work experience I feel!

JudyJudyJudy
3 minutes ago, muldoon74 said:

I've had a wee look on indeed and s1jobs (they were useless for me so god knows why I thought they'd help him!)..

NMW for a 16yo in Scotland is £6.40ph. Sounds crap but when i think that when I was 19/20 I was still £3 odds an hour. First job was £1.16 an hour. I was sacked because they heard I'd joined the Army. I had but my joining date was 7 months away! I think it was because I was 18 in a couple of months and they wanted to a few pence on the wages I'd be able to "demand".. 

Same as me, I'd always wanted a degree (my Dad had hopes for me being the first in the family etc..) but I ended up doing it when I wanted it for me not anybody else. I was 38 when I started my HND, led onto years 3/4 of BSc(Hons), led onto PGDip... Couldn't get a job and now drive trucks. I'll never pay my student loans off. Probably ever. My current wages are just below the threshold for repayment so when I get my quarterly bonus I lose about £17 off of that. Like I say, never getting paid off.!  The annoying thing is when I was applying for jobs with my HND I got told "you need a degree".. Got the degree.. "you need a masters or at least PGDip".. It was impossible to even get a starting position because I was then over qualified but with no experience!! 

I've taken my last CV and am using the layout to create my grandsons. Obviously no work experience so trying to just use his hobbies etc to show transferable skills (teamwork etc relatable to jobs he's applying for) and a decent personal statement.

Is he a member of clubs ? Play football or as you say maybe use his interests / hobbies to creatively work them into a cv . Your history similar to me , my mum wanted me to go to Uni to be first in my family . I did but in my own time . She was probably more proud than me when I eventually graduated so happy at that . 🙏 now a few of my neices have went to uni and nephews have their own businesses . 

muldoon74
6 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Is he a member of clubs ? Play football or as you say maybe use his interests / hobbies to creatively work them into a cv . Your history similar to me , my mum wanted me to go to Uni to be first in my family . I did but in my own time . She was probably more proud than me when I eventually graduated so happy at that . 🙏 now a few of my neices have went to uni and nephews have their own businesses . 

That's what I'm trying to do. Take skills he needs in these hobbies etc and me them transferable for a job. 

Bloody sad though when you have to make a CV to show that your interest in playing football or participation in the Army Cadets shows teamwork, decision making etc when you 'd be happy to wash pots for a few quid coz you're 16 and discovering the need to earn your own cash/get some independence.. 

JudyJudyJudy
Just now, muldoon74 said:

That's what I'm trying to do. Take skills he needs in these hobbies etc and me them transferable for a job. 

Bloody sad though when you have to make a CV to show that your interest in playing football or participation in the Army Cadets shows teamwork, decision making etc when you 'd be happy to wash pots for a few quid coz you're 16 and discovering the need to earn your own cash/get some independence.. 

“ it’s not where you start it’s where you finish “ as the old saying goes 

muldoon74
6 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

“ it’s not where you start it’s where you finish “ as the old saying goes 

Very true.. 

Herbert.

What about Tesco warehouse in Livi, I used to chat to a boy at a collection that went to work there said the pay was decent.

Best place for a school leaver to start is the my world of work website. Plenty advice on what type of work might be available and where to look for it.

This link gives hints and tips for writing a CV for a school leaver.

the Edinburgh guarantee is also a good place for young people looking for apprenticeships.

Your local jobcentre will also help, they put young people on a scheme where they guarantee either a training course or a job after 13 weeks.

None of this might suit the op but might help others.

CV should never be more than 2 pages. Ever 

Also tailor the CV to the individual role 

rudi must stay
2 hours ago, PTBCAL said:

CV should never be more than 2 pages. Ever 

Also tailor the CV to the individual role 

The last bit is good advice 

At 16, with no experience, it comes down to the personal statement in my opinion. Fill it with plenty of bullshit buzzwords. He works well in a group but also under his own initiative, enjoys learning and developing new skills, takes instructions well, blah blah blah.

Throw in membership of some clubs. If he used to do scouts or football, mention it. And if you don't mind some bullshit, guess what, he now does some volunteer litter picking in the area at weekends.

At 16, that's what will set him apart from the rest. 

Samuel Camazzola
16 hours ago, muldoon74 said:

I know someone who got a job at the airport at 16 paying approx £12 an hour. Various outlets take on staff there and he is in WH Smith. Good pay for the age and a nice introduction to gain people and social skills. 

If he's in the Edinburgh/West Lothian vicinity, it'll be an easy (and free) bus journey to there too. 

Der Kaiser
13 hours ago, Greedy Jambo said:

My laddie works at Hotel Chocolat once or twice a week outside of school hours.

They pay him pretty much the adult living wage hourly rate!

Treated really well and also staff perks! They seem like a fantastic employer.

(He also got me a velvetiser with his discount)

13 hours ago, Greedy Jambo said:

To be fair, there's more and more employers in hospitality who pay all their staff the same rate. He could easily earn £11/12 p/h at the right place.

cannonfoda
12 hours ago, muldoon74 said:

Claude AI or chatgpt is your friend.  

rudi must stay
6 minutes ago, Norm said:

To be fair, there's more and more employers in hospitality who pay all their staff the same rate. He could easily earn £11/12 p/h at the right place.

Hospitality is soul destroying. Better off in IT 

Just now, rudi must stay said:

Hospitality is soul destroying. Better off in IT 

All depends on the person I suppose. I love working in hospitality. Don't think I could ever go back to Standard Life or Lloyds, for example. Plus, at 16, the social aspect of hospitality is not to be sniffed at. 

CostaJambo
16 hours ago, Cranston said:

Was just talking to the wife about that this morning. Struggle to get a plumber to come out round our way and then when they do they are hours or days late and act like they are doing you a favour, meanwhile poor kids are going to uni to do film and stuff and rack up huge debts they will never pay off. My youngest is not academic at all bit is hell bent on doing "computers" at uni when he would be miles off just getting a trade and ripping off old ladies.

Cranston
2 hours ago, CostaJambo said:

Was just talking to the wife about that this morning. Struggle to get a plumber to come out round our way and then when they do they are hours or days late and act like they are doing you a favour, meanwhile poor kids are going to uni to do film and stuff and rack up huge debts they will never pay off. My youngest is not academic at all bit is hell bent on doing "computers" at uni when he would be miles off just getting a trade and ripping off old ladies.

👍

Sums it up for me bud. 

Ulysses
11 hours ago, Norm said:

Plus, at 16, the social aspect of hospitality is not to be sniffed at. 

This.  Very much this.  Especially when you think about this observation by the OP.

On 20/04/2024 at 19:30, muldoon74 said:

On 20/04/2024 at 21:34, rudi must stay said:

Loved working behind a bar (if you take away the 3am finishes and minimum wage)

rudi must stay
1 minute ago, Jeff said:

Loved working behind a bar (if you take away the 3am finishes and minimum wage)

Bars a good job you're right

Americana

At 16 I would suggest finding a subject he is interested in then finding a college course to help him on his way.