Sheep v Septic

Geoff Kilpatrick

Arthur Morgan
17 hours ago, RobNox said:

When the Europa League was introduced it replaced the old European Cup Winners Cup and UEFA Cup.  The ECWC was always viewed as being more prestigious than the UEFA Cup, hence more weight given to the domestic cup winners than league also rans.  Off course these days a lot of league also rans qualify for the Champions League.

10 hours ago, GC81 said:

But you have to beat everyone to win the Scottish Cup. Finishing third, there are two teams you finished behind, maybe miles behind.

Do we rank fourth ahead of winning the cup too? Or fifth?

When fans rank the success their club has, I don't see them counting the third place finishes, they count cup wins.

9 hours ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

If Aberdeen had won the Cup they would have deserved the European spot.  Just like any team winning the Cup deserved to go into the old Cup Winners Cup.  There’s no open top bus parades for finishing 3rd.

5th in the league is also over 38 games.  Does a shitty 5th place finish deserve more than a cup win too?  Where do you draw the line?  I think it’s fine as it is. 

I'm not for one second saying I prefer a 3rd placed finish over winning the Scottish Cup 😅 Although I still don't agree that winning the cup should mean you get to Europe. I was too young to know much about the CWC tbf, maybe I would have a different view on it if I was a bit older.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hearts007

• Mikey1874

• neilnunb

• Ricardo Quaresma

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images