Cup Replays

Bungalow Bill

Bungalow Bill

The FA have announced they are scrapping cup replays as of next season. 

I think the SFA scrapped them during COVID which seemed sensible. I was disappointed when it was made permanent though. Replays in the Scottish Cup were part of what it made it different to the League cup for me. Small teams holding out for draws to secure their big day out at a ‘big’ ground. 

The White Cockade

Still remember those Cup replays against Montrose back in the day

dannymack

The cost of living puts me off the thought of attending replays should they be a part of our season. 

Better to play the 90 and go straight to penalties in my opinion. 

dannymack
1 minute ago, The White Cockade said:

Drawing with Dumbarton in the Semi Final... deary me Hearts 🙈

Jim_Duncan
Just now, dannymack said:

The cost of living puts me off the thought of attending replays should they be a part of our season. 

Agreed. Extra time is shite. Usually very cagey or players get injured. 

I’d change penalties to this, though: 

132goals1958
5 minutes ago, The White Cockade said:

Testing my memory but did Ralph Callachan finally settle a tie at neutral Muirton Park

The Real Maroonblood
5 minutes ago, The White Cockade said:

Remember it well.

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, 132goals1958 said:

Testing my memory but did Ralph Callachan finally settle a tie at neutral Muirton Park

Yes.

dannymack

The 1976 campaign...

Clyde Home 24th January 

Clyde Replay Away 28th January

Montrose QF Away 6th March

Montrose QF Replay 9th March

Hibs Premier League Home 13th March

Montrose QF 2nd Replay Perth 15th March

Dumbarton SF 3rd April

Dumbarton SF Replay 14th April

Edited by dannymack

dannymack
6 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Much more entertaining however our Association would bottle it if the Old Squirm opposed it. 

boag1874
14 minutes ago, dannymack said:

10 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Agree about the replays although I like extra time - it can be cagey although it can also throw up some major drama.

Case in point out ET win over Hibs at Hampden where they missed a pen & then we went up the other end, won our own pen & scored it straight after to put them out.

Ron Burgundy

My memory is hazy but remember Killie at home. We drew so played them possibly early the next week and drew away. Tossed a coin and had to go back a couple of days later and think we eventually won 1-0. Mid 80's I think. Back then it was affordable to do that . Not now.

dannymack
1 minute ago, Ron Burgundy said:

My memory is hazy but remember Killie at home. We drew so played them possibly early the next week and drew away. Tossed a coin and had to go back a couple of days later and think we eventually won 1-0. Mid 80's I think. Back then it was affordable to do that . Not now.

1986-87, 1-1 at Tynecastle, 1-1 at Rugby Park then 1-3 for Hearts in 2nd replay 👌🏻

Same with Motherwell, 1-1 at Tynecastle then a 0-1 win at Fir Park. 

Only to blow it in the semi final, granted with an under strength team. 

If carlsberg did rivals...
1 hour ago, Bungalow Bill said:

The FA have announced they are scrapping cup replays as of next season. 

I think the SFA scrapped them during COVID which seemed sensible. I was disappointed when it was made permanent though. Replays in the Scottish Cup were part of what it made it different to the League cup for me. Small teams holding out for draws to secure their big day out at a ‘big’ ground. 

The problem with Scottish cup replays is if you draw the same team in the league cup and they're in the same league as you, you end up playing them 7 times in the season!

superjack
1 hour ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Totally agree, that would be better than penalties. Would we be allowed to have shankland take them all?

Jim_Duncan
Just now, superjack said:

Totally agree, that would be better than penalties. Would we be allowed to have shankland take them all?

Imagine Hibs get one. Boyle would probably take it past the keeper and dive. 

skinnybob72
1 hour ago, Jim_Duncan said:

I would have the penalties before extra time and that way you won’t have a cagey affair as the team who lost the shootout know they now have to win during extra time!

If it’s still level after ET the team who won the shootout go through.

Ron Burgundy
14 minutes ago, dannymack said:

1986-87, 1-1 at Tynecastle, 1-1 at Rugby Park then 1-3 for Hearts in 2nd replay 👌🏻

Was the Motherwell at Tynie game the one were Fozzy got away with punching a Well player square in the pus?

Pasquale for King

We want out replays back 😆🤪
They’ve cancelled the winter break next season which will have a detrimental effect on the EPL. 

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, skinnybob72 said:

I would have the penalties before extra time and that way you won’t have a cagey affair as the team who lost the shootout know they now have to win during extra time!

If it’s still level after ET the team who won the shootout go through.

Thats a brilliant idea 👍🏽👏🏾, now It needs some overpaid luminary like Wenger to suggest that. 

The Real Maroonblood

Remember they tried the Golden Goal at the 2004 Euros.

SE16 3LN
1 hour ago, dannymack said:

The 1976 campaign...

Clyde Home 24th January 

Clyde Replay Away 28th January

Montrose QF Away 6th March

Montrose QF Replay 9th March

Hibs Premier League Home 13th March

Montrose QF 2nd Replay Perth 15th March

Dumbarton SF 3rd April

Dumbarton SF Replay 14th April

I was at every one of those games.

Feckin scandalous.

Wee teams getting a replay for a big pay day is a key aspect of the FA Cup.

This is simply being done because the PL teams are already playing 60 games a season and can't be ersed with FA Cup replays.

Just......reduce the number of teams in the PL.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
2 hours ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Hearts did that at half time at a friendly, or testimonial, many moons ago. Forget who it was against.

gordon simpson
3 hours ago, The White Cockade said:

eventually beat them at Muirton  St Johnstone's old park   

my wifes first ever game 

Ron Burgundy
16 minutes ago, gordon simpson said:

eventually beat them at Muirton  St Johnstone's old park   

my wifes first ever game 

What position did she play?

martoon

The worst Cup replay for me had to be vs. Airdrie in 1992.

What a depressing night. Only 11k+, pouring with rain and we only really came alive in extra time. The penalties were another calamity.

"Still" as a mate said as we sat, soaked to the skin, back in the car "at least noo we can concentrate oan the title".

I reckon my most memorable replay wasn't even a Hearts one. As a near 9 year old in 1977 I was invited, by a Hibs supporting pal and his dad, to their Cup replay with Arbroath.

Hibs 1 Arbroath 2 with the visitors looking exactly like Hearts. 

The following morning at breakfast my dad, who'd been on the backshift, wasn't best pleased that I'd gone to ER. 

He changed his mind when I told him the score.

Pasquale for King

Can see both sides, with more European games and the ridiculous club world cup the top clubs are looking for ways to have less games.

The smaller clubs are obviously hoping to get a “money spinner” replay, but you cant run a club waiting on that or paying the wages most of them do, at our expense regarding players so it’s good for us. 
You can see both cups down there being devalued further, and the FA cup should definitely be the last game of the season. 

Mikey1874

Some recent examples of what they have stopped happening 

2022/23 Sunderland v Fulham 29,651

2021/22  Tottenham v Southampton 56,046, Liverpool v Shrewsbury 52,399,  Newcastle v Rochdale 29,786.

2018/19 Wolves v Shrewsbury 28,844

2017/18 

West Ham v Shrewsbury 39,867,  Spurs v Newport 38,947.

Edited by Mikey1874

Victorian
3 hours ago, dannymack said:

Think the original tie was the day Hamilton won at Ibrox.  I was at the original tie and one of the replays,  but can't for the life of me remember which one.  😳

Victorian

The 86/87 Motherwell replay was a great night.  Huge away crowd and fantastic atmosphere.  Rangers and Celtic were out and we were going to win our long awaited cup.  

🤪

martoon
1 minute ago, Victorian said:

Think the original tie was the day Hamilton won at Ibrox.  I was at the original tie and one of the replays,  but can't for the life of me remember which one.  😳

Beating Celtic in the last 16 in '87 then finding Hibs had lost at Clydebank made for a great day.

The atmosphere at Tynecastle was electric.

Genuinely believed from that day that we'd go on to win the Cup (nothing to do with Hibs going out, btw, they were Sh1te). 

I should have known better, as the Beatles would say.

Victorian
1 minute ago, martoon said:

Beating Celtic in the last 16 in '87 then finding Hibs had lost at Clydebank made for a great day.

The atmosphere at Tynecastle was electric.

Genuinely believed from that day that we'd go on to win the Cup (nothing to do with Hibs going out, btw, they were Sh1te). 

I should have known better, as the Beatles would say.

Very few games come close to comparing with that Celtic match.  Absolute carnival.

Bungalow Bill
4 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Remember they tried the Golden Goal at the 2004 Euros.

Euro 96 had the golden goal. Settled the final. 

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, Bungalow Bill said:

👍

dannymack
1 hour ago, Victorian said:

Very few games come close to comparing with that Celtic match.  Absolute carnival.

Scotland beating the Irish, Heart of Midlothian beating the Plastic Irish all within a couple of hours of each other and within touching distance of each other. 

Must have been over 70k at Murrayfield  and just under 30k at Tynecastle... bloomin' marvellous. 

About time I say. A classic case of something nostalgic actually being worse off.

Don't get me wrong, I'm aware of the benefits of cup replays for the minnows, but I'd much rather just watch a game knowing it'll be decided that day.

Forking out cash as a supporter for a cup game only for it to have to go to a rematch is pish. I've patched a few, even at home, because it just took the edge off the tie altogether.

Last replay we were involved with was Partick in the 18/19 quarters. I travelled through to Firhill on the Monday night for a game that meant hee haw in the end, and was expected to stump up another £15 for the replay. **** that.

If it's the big teams moaning about playing 60 games a year, then why not just make European knock-out games 1 leg with ET and pens instead of home/away ties?

After all, it's only the big teams that have to play that many games.

:kirk: Oh but then that'd be too much money to lose for the big teams.........so they'd rather just deny the wee teams a pay day that would keep them going for 3/4/5 years.

Mikey1874
2 hours ago, Bungalow Bill said:

And the 2000 final 

DesertDawg
7 hours ago, Cade said:

Feckin scandalous.

Wee teams getting a replay for a big pay day is a key aspect of the FA Cup.

This is simply being done because the PL teams are already playing 60 games a season and can't be ersed with FA Cup replays.

Just......reduce the number of teams in the PL.

👍  https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/68851138

It's what makes the cup competition different.

Bungalow Bill
30 minutes ago, DesertDawg said:

👍  https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/68851138

It's what makes the cup competition different.

That’s my view. But I appreciate the comment someone made on the thread, that in Scotland you could end up playing the same team 7 times in a season. 

I’d prefer we had the replays. 

Bungalow Bill
4 hours ago, Victorian said:

The 86/87 Motherwell replay was a great night.  Huge away crowd and fantastic atmosphere.  Rangers and Celtic were out and we were going to win our long awaited cup.  

🤪

We had 2 replays against Killie in the 3rd round, I had no idea. 

The big teams can't really be arsed with the FA Cup anymore. It lost it's prestige ages ago. 

dannymack
23 minutes ago, Hansel said:

The big teams can't really be arsed with the FA Cup anymore. It lost it's prestige ages ago. 

From 1997 to 2012 I attended every FA Cup Final involving Chelsea, by the time they played Pompey it was clear the fan base weren't as Interested as they were when they won it in 1997.

The week before Hearts scudded Hibs and Chelsea beat Bayern I walked up Wembley Way and around the stadium to be swamped with fans wearing Chelsea/Liverpool scarves, tourists and New Blues... never been back 👎

1 minute ago, dannymack said:

From 1997 to 2012 I attended every FA Cup Final involving Chelsea, by the time they played Pompey it was clear the fan base weren't as Interested as they were when they won it in 1997.

The week before Hearts scudded Hibs and Chelsea beat Bayern I walked up Wembley Way and around the stadium to be swamped with fans wearing Chelsea/Liverpool scarves, tourists and New Blues... never been back 👎

Sad state of affairs mate. Much rather see a couple of smaller teams in the final where it actually means something to the supporters of those clubs.

Those half and half scarfs are cringey AF. Go and watch the rugby if that's the vibe you crave.

dannymack
Just now, Hansel said:

Sad state of affairs mate. Much rather see a couple of smaller teams in the final where it actually means something to the supporters of those clubs.

Those half and half scarfs are cringey AF. Go and watch the rugby if that's the vibe you crave.

Chelsea v Man Utd 2007, all the old school Chelsea were drinking in Maida Vale and Kilburn Park... I was amazed at the amount of lads that didn't have a ticket for the game, these very same lads who followed Chelsea through 'Fick and Fin' were resigned to watching the game on TV. 

I got my ticket (£90 face value) from a Rangers lad who was a Chelsea Season Ticket holder. 

jambo1975

Could be easily addressed by seeding teams up to a later stage.

Pasquale for King
7 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Some recent examples of what they have stopped happening 

2022/23 Sunderland v Fulham 29,651

2021/22  Tottenham v Southampton 56,046, Liverpool v Shrewsbury 52,399,  Newcastle v Rochdale 29,786.

2018/19 Wolves v Shrewsbury 28,844

2017/18 

West Ham v Shrewsbury 39,867,  Spurs v Newport 38,947.

So nothing memorable or of note then?

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Hansel said:

Started with Ferguson pulling Man U out of the competition, downhill ever since.